Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

Cerekk posted:

I do know how photos get on Explore (and those types of groups significantly, and all groups in general somewhat penalize the chance to get on Explore BTW, that's why the vast majority of Explored photos are in no groups at all). I also acknowledge that there's probably more tone-mapped sunsets on there than any one person needs to see. But I like some of it, and I find a lot of people to follow by sifting through Explore for stuff I like. There's a lot on there that I don't like too, some because it's legitimately bad, and some just because it's not my style.

I was mostly annoyed by the original phrasing. 'I like it when "Good Art" sneaks through' (as though there's no merit to any of the stuff that I, personally, don't care for). Maybe that wasn't the intended meaning, but it sure seemed like it to me.

Honestly a lot of my 'touchiness' is driven by the fact that when I first considered getting into photography as a hobby, I was turned off by the openly hostile attitude some people in this subforum had towards newbie photographers. I couldn't tell you any more which threads or which people, but it was significant enough to make me not want to associate with the hobby if that was the sort of people that participated in it. Anyway, I got over that, and I'm taking pictures now, but I bought my gear about two years later than I would have if the first place I'd gone had been /r/photography instead of The Dorkroom. For 99.99% of us, it doesn't really matter what our pictures look like as long as we are enjoying ourselves while we're participating in the hobby, so I'd rather give pictures that I don't care for the benefit of the doubt.

Here is a landscape:

You are pretty whiny and it sounds like you probably have bad taste in photography, so sorry to hear that.

What you are looking for is a camera club, a place where you go to pat each other on the back and say nice things about everyone's photos then after that have a chat about megapixels and lenses. You might even be able to share a few knowing jokes about "art" with each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Cerekk posted:

but I bought my gear about two years later than I would have if the first place I'd gone had been /r/photography instead of The Dorkroom.

This argument has more or less ran its course, but I wanted to touch on this specific point, because that's specifically what I did. Back when I first went to college this was the kind of poo poo I was taking:

Deep Cove by Geektox, on Flickr

^^It's a bad, out of focus, single-JPG HDR job done in GIMP (lol)

This photo got between 100 upvotes or some poo poo, and some guy even paid me $20 for it for his online travel guide, but that's an objectively bad picture. /r/photography is a bad echo chamber, the worst that's going to happen to you there is that it won't be upvoted, eventually once I stopped getting a regular stream of upvoted pictures I dropped the hobby without really improving.

Since I started posting in the Dorkroom after picking the hobby back up again, I went from this:

Five Fingers by Geektox, on Flickr

to this:

It's an improvement I'm personally extremely happy with, and while I'm still a hobbyist with no plans to go pro in any foreseeable future, Dorkroom's brand of hostile critique helps hell of a lot more than just posting in a forum with weak or no critique at all. Plus the dorkroom has expanded the amount of photography I can appreciate vastly, not the other way around.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Geektox posted:

This argument has more or less ran its course, but I wanted to touch on this specific point, because that's specifically what I did. Back when I first went to college this was the kind of poo poo I was taking...

I don't have a problem with legitimate critique, but you and LargeHadron are the only people that have responded with actual constructive criticism compared to half a dozen people that responded with personal attacks, in reply to a complaint that The Dorkroom is frequently hostile to newbie photographers. That's not really going to make me change my position.

Constructive criticism: fantastic. But there's no reason to just straight up chase off people that don't fit a rigid mold. People can enjoy photography and have an improved quality of life from having a hobby even if they are bad at it. And it's possible to encourage those people to improve in a way that is both helpful and respectful. When constructive criticism crosses the line into unproductive attacks, all it does is discourage people from enjoying their hobby. Nobody ever improved as a photographer by not taking pictures.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I don't know what hostility you're even talking about. I started posting here when I was new and I posted some pretty terrible photos. One dude in one post made some pretty harsh but valid critique and everyone else was totally reasonable but honest in their critiques and it helped me get a lot better.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Cerekk posted:

But there's no reason to just straight up chase off people that don't fit a rigid mold.

then stop posting

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Cerekk posted:

When constructive criticism crosses the line into unproductive attacks, all it does is discourage people from enjoying their hobby. Nobody ever improved as a photographer by not taking pictures.

If "unproductive attacks" are preventing you from enjoying your hobby, that's on you. Like anything else in life, take the useful poo poo and ignore the rest. If you can't gain anything from this thread (which I doubt, but it's possible), then skip over it I guess.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Cerekk posted:

I don't have a problem with legitimate critique, but you and LargeHadron are the only people that have responded with actual constructive criticism compared to half a dozen people that responded with personal attacks, in reply to a complaint that The Dorkroom is frequently hostile to newbie photographers. That's not really going to make me change my position.

Constructive criticism: fantastic. But there's no reason to just straight up chase off people that don't fit a rigid mold. People can enjoy photography and have an improved quality of life from having a hobby even if they are bad at it. And it's possible to encourage those people to improve in a way that is both helpful and respectful. When constructive criticism crosses the line into unproductive attacks, all it does is discourage people from enjoying their hobby. Nobody ever improved as a photographer by not taking pictures.

None of their critiques were illegitimate. You just need thicker skin. Post more, a lot more, ask for help, take it all in, read about photography (not about gear) and read critiques. You will get better and you will appreciate the harsh words you got here.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Cerekk posted:

Useful critique isn't going to spare your precious feelings :qq:

Here's a critique of your posting: it's bad.

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
News flash, everyones posting is bad. Can we go back to posting sexy rocks now?

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Bland snow it is

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

MrBlandAverage posted:

It's pretty clear that you didn't know this, but photos on Explore are on there because of the number and speed of the faves and comments they get. That's why GOLD STAR FAV 5 COMMENT 1 groups are a thing that people use to get their terrible photos into Explore.

Huh, I did not know that.

bobmarleysghost posted:

Did he (365) toxx himself to only post constructive comments for 2015 or was that 2014?

That was this year.

bobmarleysghost posted:

Bland snow it is

Sick, I would love to have a little print of this with a big mat...

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

365 Nog Hogger posted:

Huh, I did not know that.

Everyone loves to game the system, look how fast 500px turned into a lovely site through all the meta-gaming.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

NASA is trying to promote its New Horizons mission to Pluto, which will make its closest approach next month. They've got a project called Pluto Time, which is getting people to go out and take pictures when the twilight is about the same brightness as the noontime sun on Pluto. I tried my hand at it this morning, got some bonus fog:

Pluto Time by Justin Cowart, on Flickr

Pluto Time by Justin Cowart, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Dread Head posted:

News flash, everyones posting is bad. Can we go back to posting sexy trees now?

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

untitled-08585 by S M, on Flickr

riparian path-6973 by S M, on Flickr

token fence-6564 by S M, on Flickr

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

:gizz:

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

Untitled

Untitled

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Cerekk posted:

Please tell me why my pictures are bad. I mostly take pictures of things that look neat and/or pretty but I feel like I have no eye for what makes a picture "good."

Cerekk posted:

i know ill get probed or something bc discussing the philosophical merits of something as intangible as "valid criticism" or "art" are endless pursuits that steer threads into a turbid emotional storms

there isn't invalid criticism, generally speaking. if someone rear end in a top hat startles you by pushing his way through a bush while you're walking down the street and whispers "you suck at taking photos of people and your photos aren't interesting to anyone with a critical eye" into your ear... you say "gently caress off" and start thinking about how to start taking better photos of people and consider how to maybe take photos that don't make you feel defensive and emotional when someone says they aren't interesting, and call the police maybe

people mistake critical hostility for "scaring away newcomers", but really it's just a useful and polarizing attitude for filtering out the noise known as "people who dont want to improve"

anyone who's actually around to become a better photographer will let scathing, hastily written critiques slide off their back and still keep coming back for more. anyone who can't take it will stop posting and probably wasn't actually that interested in becoming a better photographer anyways. sharing your work in places like this is about getting feedback whether you like it or not. it is antithetical to the spirit of this silly place to wish it otherwise.

"legitimate critique" is farcical.

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jun 10, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Mido posted:

i know ill get probed or something bc discussing the philosophical merits of something as intangible as "valid criticism" or "art" are endless pursuits that steer threads into a turbid emotional storms

there isn't invalid criticism, generally speaking. if someone rear end in a top hat startles you by pushing his way through a bush while you're walking down the street and whispers "you suck at taking photos of people and your photos aren't interesting to anyone with a critical eye" into your ear... you say "gently caress off" and start thinking about how to start taking better photos of people and consider how to maybe take photos that don't make you feel defensive and emotional when someone says they aren't interesting, and call the police maybe

people mistake critical hostility for "scaring away newcomers", but really it's just a useful and polarizing attitude for filtering out the noise known as "people who dont want to improve"

anyone who's actually around to become a better photographer will let scathing, hastily written critiques slide off their back and still keep coming back for more. anyone who can't take it will stop posting and probably wasn't actually that interested in becoming a better photographer anyways. sharing your work in places like this is about getting feedback whether you like it or not. it is antithetical to the spirit of this silly place to wish it otherwise.

this poo poo needs to be on page one.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Yea that's pretty well said.

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

Mido posted:

Only vaguely related to the conversation at hand but almost this exact thing happened to me the other day. Waiting at a pedestrian crossing my Mamiya 7 and tripod strapped to my back this little old fucker sidled up to me and whispered in my ear "Give up now ya fucken' amateur" then scurried across the red light to sit on a bench on the other side of the road to roll a durry. Naturally my first reaction was laughter which seemed to make him angrier, when I asked him why he was such a salty fucker he told me to "Go home to mummy and get a warm milk". It wasn't really discouraging, more confusing.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Haught posted:

Only vaguely related to the conversation at hand but almost this exact thing happened to me the other day. Waiting at a pedestrian crossing my Mamiya 7 and tripod strapped to my back this little old fucker sidled up to me and whispered in my ear "Give up now ya fucken' amateur" then scurried across the red light to sit on a bench on the other side of the road to roll a durry. Naturally my first reaction was laughter which seemed to make him angrier, when I asked him why he was such a salty fucker he told me to "Go home to mummy and get a warm milk". It wasn't really discouraging, more confusing.

I always figured that ansel autisms scurried.

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
pls don't poo poo up one of the better threads in the dorkroom, tia

also echoing the whole "this subforum helped me go from thinking my photos were ok, to realising how bad they were, to taking slightly less bad photos" sentiment

ape
Jul 20, 2009
Take bad photos -> Acknowledge they are bad -> Take more bad photos

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Haught posted:

I really hope this is a true story.

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

deaders posted:

I really hope this is a true story.

100% true. I live in semi-rural Queensland though, so being insulted by random strangers is pretty everyday stuff.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
This forum is a godsend. It helped me learn that my photos are bad. Now I shoot with intent.

Have a bad photo with intent.

Scream eggs, let fly by Niamh O'Donovan, on Flickr

Have another.

Inside a Bus Station by Niamh O'Donovan, on Flickr

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
Crosspostin in the cool thread for cool dudes

Iceland w/ Fuji GSW690II

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Clinton Industrial Park by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

feigning interest
Jun 22, 2007

I just hate seeing anything go to waste.
This guy is my favorite critic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svGAQJYIRqQ

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Fuji and Iceland? I need a cigarette. :gizz:

Fred Miranda Jr
Jul 10, 2012

I spend endless hours in front of the computer perfecting techniques for the digital format.

Cerekk posted:

You should come over to my forums! It's a safe space to talk about gear and what kind of photos you can take with your gear.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

Nice

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Yeah that's fuckin' dope.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

Crosspostin in the cool thread for cool dudes

Iceland w/ Fuji GSW690II

my fave as well

vvvvv: :cabot:

a cyberpunk goose fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jun 10, 2015

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dover by alkanphel, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

All of those Iceland pics are loving killer.

My fav.