Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GrossMurpel posted:

I still don't understand why Yen had that annoyed look every time I drank a round with some guys during the wake. Not like that's gonna impede a Witcher.

I had told Yen just before going in that I wasn't drinking at all because why would I need to dull my senses around such beautiful company (or whatever the line is).

So then five minutes later when I drank with whoever asked me to and she looked a little annoyed, it was understandable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Geralt's actually a lightweight.
One jug of lager is enough to give him hardcore double vision for a while.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Nobody Interesting posted:

Okay that makes sense - so a decoction that regens HP for 30 minutes is obviously better than a Swallow that does 20 seconds and needs to be topped up which brings up toxicity even more.

Will need to pay closer attention to the potions skill tree from now, I think.

A tip that worked well for me, if you want to invest mostly in sign or sword trees but want to use decoctions invest 3 points into the one that ups your max toxcicity with each learned potion. at lvl3, with most potions brewed, that skill allows me to have like 3 decoctions going at once, totally worth it imho

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, its an important reminder: even though you could use a decoction with no points in alchemy, the 1.05 changes mean that you lose vitality when your toxicity goes over 70%. So you'll have to get enough regen to counter that if you pop one, or use a White Honey to clear if you're unable to keep up.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I don't understand people's troubles with starting gwent. I beat the Baron on my second try and he was the first person I played cards with after white orchard.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Nasgate posted:

I don't understand people's troubles with starting gwent. I beat the Baron on my second try and he was the first person I played cards with after white orchard.

The baron was actually the hardest match for me the whole time - he was the third person I played and his deck, with spies and decoys and scorch, rocks the starting northern deck pretty hard. I had an easier time with the nilfgaard guy in vizima than him.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

ShadowMar posted:

I really want a Dark Souls style New Game Plus for this game where the enemies are tougher each playthrough. If CDPR doesn't add anything like that hopefully a modder can.

Nexus already has some decent mods - quick-casting Signs, swapping the stats on Bear and Griffin or Bear and Cat armor (because Bear has the best swag).

Redkit should be released soon, so we'll see what them modders can come up with that doesn't include random nudity.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Nasgate posted:

my only trouble starting gwent was making sure to tell the first dude who suggested it to gently caress off and then never playing it again

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Does Geralt's beard never grow again after you get a clean shave once?

:( I goofed

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Geralt: I'd like to play a round of cards. Gwent, specifically.
*Blacksmith stares solemnly into the distance*

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

The Duggler posted:

Does Geralt's beard never grow again after you get a clean shave once?

:( I goofed
It does.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
pretty funny that seemingly everyone in the Witcher universe plays pokemon.

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

Cole posted:

I expected to be able to challenge the final boss to Gwent, it was bullshit that I couldn't

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Is there a list showing all the Gwent players in-game from easiest to most difficult floating around anywhere?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Cole posted:

I'm not even into Gwent but I love this too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Carol Pizzamom posted:

I expected to be able to challenge the final boss to Gwent, it was bullshit that I couldn't

I don't like Gwent but you should be able to challenge every sentient boss enemy to Gwent and if you win, they just spontaneously combust

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Cole posted:

"um excuse me i am Geralt of Rivia, can you point me in the direction of your local comic shop so that I can purchase some booster packs"

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't like Gwent but you should be able to challenge every sentient boss enemy to Gwent and if you win, they just spontaneously combust

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oKX3tbHOyU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
"You want Ciri for her blood to take over the world. I'm not about to let you do that....why don't we play some cards. Gwent, specifically? *Eredin slowly nods in his massive armor and stares severely into the distance*

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I like to think that Geralt's business card is actually his Gwent card.

"Hey, Geralt of Rivia. I'm worth fifteen."

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

They should have had a rock troll who was really good at Gwent.

Wiseblood fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 10, 2015

Spiky Ooze
Oct 27, 2005

Bernie Sanders is a friend to my planet (pictured)

click the shit outta^

Cole posted:

It gets hilariously shameful if you're into it. Someone will drop an emotional bomb on you then you'll respond with Gwent, do you play?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Wiseblood posted:

There should have had a rock troll who was really good at Gwent.

I was hoping one of the gwent pros would turn out to be a higher vampire.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Actually gently caress it, all Witcher contracts should be able to end in Gwent with the monster

Archgriffon Gwent match, why not

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

No joking, you should be able to haggle the contract payment on a card game. Win and you get the max slider, lose and you get the minimum.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

"um excuse me i am Geralt of Rivia, can you point me in the direction of your local comic shop so that I can purchase some booster packs"

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i am annoyed they could not just have also had a poker option and in the intro tavern you can say no to the pokemans and go sit in at a poker game

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Manatee Cannon posted:

Actually gently caress it, all Witcher contracts should be able to end in Gwent with the monster

No, but you get their card after killing them instead of a trophy.

God, I hope this becomes a mod.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

You know what's missing?

Gwent Foil cards.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

This should probably just be in the OP.

The Witcher 3: Gwent Hunt

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

ZearothK posted:

No, but you get their card after killing them instead of a trophy.

God, I hope this becomes a mod.

"I play a fiend."
"But you don't even have that card!"
*Casually drops severed fiend head on the table*

On another note, the interactions between Geralt and Ciri are the best drat thing in this game. That Snowball Fight at Kaer Morhen :3:.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I like the lore behind this game too. A year ago, the rage was dice poker. Now this new card game invaded, presumably from Nilfgard, and it just took the North by storm...also like Nilfgard.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It'd be cool if random peasants were like "hey...it's the guy from the gwent card!"

I guess Dijkstra is lucky no one ever recognized him from his gwent card and blew his cover.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

nilfgaard.jpg

I got lucky very early on with my Nilfgaard deck - I think 2 of their 3 spies are from random wins; if you can get all 3 you're pretty much set, since Nilfgaard will also have plenty of medics, and you can buy decoys and other good stuff to round it out.

My basically unbeatable Nilfgaard deck is: 4 spies, 3 medics, 2 decoy, 2 horn, 2 biting frost, a bunch of hero cards and random normal high-strength cards.

Hopefully they'll expand on gwent in a later patch, some more balance & more tournaments would be awesome. :v:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
What's that highlighted card? And the card with the skull symbol? And where can I get both?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
E: learned how append works

GrossMurpel fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 10, 2015

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Ravenfood posted:

What's that highlighted card? And the card with the skull symbol? And where can I get both?

looks like alternate versions of avellach and the scorch dragon

GrossMurpel posted:

Take out your Frosts and put in 3x Scorch. That's way more useful against monster decks.
I wouldn't bother with scorch, or maybe put in 1. Scorch dragon is better and you'll get it most games with all those spies, and it's pretty rare that you're really gonna make great use of multiple scorches. (It's nice when it happens but not too common.) I'd take out the frosts either way though - I ended up dropping weather cards entirely.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Please make it so you can't accidentally consume the Respec potion during combat.

Please.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

jaete posted:

nilfgaard.jpg

I got lucky very early on with my Nilfgaard deck - I think 2 of their 3 spies are from random wins; if you can get all 3 you're pretty much set, since Nilfgaard will also have plenty of medics, and you can buy decoys and other good stuff to round it out.

My basically unbeatable Nilfgaard deck is: 4 spies, 3 medics, 2 decoy, 2 horn, 2 biting frost, a bunch of hero cards and random normal high-strength cards.

Hopefully they'll expand on gwent in a later patch, some more balance & more tournaments would be awesome. :v:

Take out your Frosts and put in 3x Scorch. That's way more useful against monster decks.

Ravenfood posted:

Looks like Avallac'h spy card (won from Gwent quest in Skellige IIRC) and Villentretenmerth in his Borch form together with Tea and Vea, randomly won.

http://gwentcards.com/

E: drat I thought the "append" button would add another quote to my earlier post instead of reposting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
I kinda wish they could have fit Borch and Francesca Findabair into this game somehow, they seem like cool characters.