Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Sogol posted:

Not to start a thing, but why are people playing this on console instead of PC? I should say I don't play console games and don't really understand the appeal in general. I am legitimately curious. Oh no... Maybe I am console curious.

I personally prefer PC for this type of thing but I can see the appeal. The obvious reason would be "don't have a decent gaming PC". But really ESO is very casual for an MMO (and I don't mean that as a burn) and I can see people preferring the "couch and friends" approach. Also the interface is already perfectly suitable for console controls.

Honestly the main reason I got the PC version instead of waiting for console is because I very much wanted to get into Cyrodil and doing PvP in a non-embarrassing fashion is just much easier on PC. But if I was just playing for the PvE experience and occasion dungeon dive I could very much see myself going for the console version instead, especially if I had interesting friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Ok! Well that clears thing up.

I don't currently have a decent PC, but usually do and am in the process of building a nice one. Should be done in a week or so.

I don't own a couch, TV or any friends.

I agree about ESO feeling casual as far as MMO's go and liking that, so that all makes sense.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Sogol posted:

Not to start a thing, but why are people playing this on console instead of PC? I should say I don't play console games and don't really understand the appeal in general. I am legitimately curious. Oh no... Maybe I am console curious.

Because I want to.

KING BONG
Aug 6, 2009
Is there a seperate thread for consoles, or information about console guilds available here?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

KING BONG posted:

Is there a seperate thread for consoles, or information about console guilds available here?

This game really doesn't warrant separate threads for PC/Console.

The guilds will be in a constant state of flux for a few weeks anyway, once it's settled whoever leads it/them can send info for the OP.

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
I'm getting on XBone as Ebonheart Pact and my GT is OscarWoscar. I'm sort of slowrolling until at least the 20th while I wait on a couple real life friends but I will be wandering around the world.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

JesustheDarkLord posted:

I'm getting on XBone as Ebonheart Pact and my GT is OscarWoscar. I'm sort of slowrolling until at least the 20th while I wait on a couple real life friends but I will be wandering around the world.

This game is very easy to slowroll. Bring up the map and look for places with no markers. You'll find something to get in trouble with.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

PC players have certainky known this for a year now, but some advice for my fellow console newbies:

You have a personal bank. I found a guy to access it through in a criminal hideout, dunno where the "normal" access point is. More importantly, YOU CAN USE CRAFTING MATS FROM YOUR BANK WITHOUT HAVING TO WITHDRAW THEM. Goodbye, inventory space issues.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Funkmaster General posted:

PC players have certainky known this for a year now, but some advice for my fellow console newbies:

You have a personal bank. I found a guy to access it through in a criminal hideout, dunno where the "normal" access point is. More importantly, YOU CAN USE CRAFTING MATS FROM YOUR BANK WITHOUT HAVING TO WITHDRAW THEM. Goodbye, inventory space issues.

Your bank is also shared between characters, FYI. And most towns have a banker in the market area. In cities you'll have a waypoint to an actual bank building.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Coming from PC, the console controls are really rough.
I've already died a few times by attacking NPC"S in town accidentally. LIke I hit B to back out of something and oops B was my fireball attack, I"m dead.
Not having the mini-map on screen is frustrating as hell.
MY PRECIOUS ADD ONS!

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Pretty sure PS4 servers just took a dump, can't login and it was rubber banding like crazy a few minutes before the boot. Up until that point the only noticeable issue I've had was a bit of stuttering the first time loading into what I assume is the main city. If anyone wants to group up when the servers come back online I'm rolling as a Ebonheart Templar on NA (Lvl 7). PSN might already be on this page but just in case it's spvcejam- (dash at the end).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah, the game just died server-wise. There's a big thread on the official forums about it and apparently Zenimax is working on it.

Holy poo poo thank you for this.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

The whole website is down now, including the area where they were giving updates.

Edit: Xbone NA servers are back up, but this queue system is whack. Position 836,267 with a 1 second wait time, eh?

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jun 11, 2015

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Started a guild on Xbone NA servers. I THINK I invited everyone who posted in here, but let me know if you need an invite.

E: Game crashed as I was posting, not sure all the invites went through. Let me know if I missed you.

The guild is just called SA Goons because I'm incredibly uncreative, and is allied with Ebonheart pact because I am and several other bone goons are. Even if you aren't, you can join us. You can be in multiple guilds so joining only helps push our numbers high enough to do stuff.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Jun 11, 2015

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I bought the ESO membership. I see that the active effect for it is there (10% gold/experience/etc increase), but I didn't get the 1500 crowns that are supposed to come with it. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just a launch bug?

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

For the PS4 version, I really hope they patch in custom controls because it's so close to being very playable on the Vita over Remote Play. The annoying part is that the L2/R2 buttons are permanently mapped to the rear touch pad, so it's a pain to attack stuff.

I want to play from work, dammit!

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Sogol posted:

As I get older and now have kids, my tolerance and finances are pretty much nil when it comes to building/buying a PC. I haven't/don't want to keep up with the latest video card/processor configurations. I can spend $350 on an Xbox, hook it up to my big TV and escape to my dad cave and ignore my family for a couple of hours.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
Looking for some Xbone goons to play with. Gamertag - JohnnyUtah96. I am with the Ebonheart Pact as a Templar for all your healing needs.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

JazzFlight posted:

For the PS4 version, I really hope they patch in custom controls because it's so close to being very playable on the Vita over Remote Play. The annoying part is that the L2/R2 buttons are permanently mapped to the rear touch pad, so it's a pain to attack stuff.

I want to play from work, dammit!

Isn't there a Japanese case that fixed that? This was also an issue in Destiny and I thought people said there was a case solution.

Ed: like this http://technabob.com/blog/2015/01/31/ps-vita-case-with-l2-r2-triggers/

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

RCarr posted:

I bought the ESO membership. I see that the active effect for it is there (10% gold/experience/etc increase), but I didn't get the 1500 crowns that are supposed to come with it. Am I doing something wrong, or is it just a launch bug?

I got if for the PS4 and when I restarted the game I had everything including the Crowns. If it doesn't work I'd try CS.

Bagpuss_UK
May 22, 2001

(NOT BAGPUSS)
Probably a bit early to tell but is there likely to be enough demand for a Euro Xbone guild, or are we better off just combining forces and jumping on the NA server?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Started a guild on Xbone NA servers. I THINK I invited everyone who posted in here, but let me know if you need an invite.

E: Game crashed as I was posting, not sure all the invites went through. Let me know if I missed you.

The guild is just called SA Goons because I'm incredibly uncreative, and is allied with Ebonheart pact because I am and several other bone goons are. Even if you aren't, you can join us. You can be in multiple guilds so joining only helps push our numbers high enough to do stuff.

Invite me. I'm OcscarWoscar

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.

Even with the updated material thing they did a few months ago I still have a huge inventory space issue. I also don't throw anything away and do every crafting skill.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Speaking of inventory issues, what's the fastest way to up your bag size?
Also, any tricks for easy money early on?

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

JazzFlight posted:

Fastest way would be to dump money at the various Bag Vendors until you reach the max number of bag upgrades.
The most cost-effective would be getting a mount and training up your "Carrying Capacity" riding skill so that you will eventually get 60 extra bag slots.
Do note that bag upgrade and mount carrying capacity stack allowing for a maximum inventory of around 170 for a single character.

Snack
Mar 21, 2007

Magically Delicious.
Definitely up for an invite to the XBone EP guild. GT is Bacchic Apollo.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Game is literally unplayable for me at this point. Nearly every other quest NPC fails to load so I can't turn anything in. The 'Interact' button is visible and clearly other players are able to see the NPC but for whatever reason they aren't rendering for me. loving stupid really.

Ebenezer
Mar 21, 2007

I'm playing this on XBOne - GT is Tough Taco.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

JazzFlight posted:

I've been pickpocketing left and right and can sell those items for 30-100 gold a pop. I grinded a few thousand gold, I have no idea if that's considered a lot, I was just feeding my elder scrolls need to steal everything.

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.
Did they ever do that big patch that was supposed to redo the post cap progression? i.e. Get rid of VR? I haven't played since March but I thought I remembered reading that there would be another huge game changing patch around console roll out time.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

JazzFlight posted:

If you're EP you can go to Vivecs Antlers west of Ebonheart and just now down dreugh. This is very good exp at low levels but they also drop rawhide scraps which in stacks of 200 can sell for 1600+ gold.

Stealing is very good too.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Rylek posted:

Did they ever do that big patch that was supposed to redo the post cap progression? i.e. Get rid of VR? I haven't played since March but I thought I remembered reading that there would be another huge game changing patch around console roll out time.

VR is still in place, but 1.6 introduced a system that will eventually replace it: the champion system. Basically, an additional exp bar that grants you small bonuses per level to a perk of your choosing (such as increased spell resistance, extra stamina regen, deal more damage with fire/ice/lightning attacks, and so on).

Now that there's a flood of newcomers, I have a tip for you guys. Try out the justice system! Stealing is quite profitable and fun. In addition to that, it is a fantastic source* of wood, metal, leather and cloth items to break down for crafting. Market stalls, garrisons, and shops tend to be full of goodies. If leveling the armor and weapon crafting skills interests you, give stealing a shot.

*White quality weapons and armor taken from containers aren't good for smelting down, they will give only a little skill up and no mats. This applies to both regular and stolen items. In addition, don't bother picking up weapons and armor sitting out in the game world that are marked "Take" instead of "Steal"; those have the same problem and aren't worth your inventory space.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Mizuti posted:

VR is still in place, but 1.6 introduced a system that will eventually replace it: the champion system. Basically, an additional exp bar that grants you small bonuses per level to a perk of your choosing (such as increased spell resistance, extra stamina regen, deal more damage with fire/ice/lightning attacks, and so on).

Now that there's a flood of newcomers, I have a tip for you guys. Try out the justice system! Stealing is quite profitable and fun. In addition to that, it is a fantastic source* of wood, metal, leather and cloth items to break down for crafting. Market stalls, garrisons, and shops tend to be full of goodies. If leveling the armor and weapon crafting skills interests you, give stealing a shot.

*White quality weapons and armor taken from containers aren't good for smelting down, they will give only a little skill up and no mats. This applies to both regular and stolen items. In addition, don't bother picking up weapons and armor sitting out in the game world that are marked "Take" instead of "Steal"; those have the same problem and aren't worth your inventory space.

One thing about the white stuff lying around marked "Take" is that it scales to your level. It is sometimes cheaper and faster to carry around some enchant glyphs, grab one of those and enchant it than to repair what you have. Repairing while leveling seems a complete waste unless you have something really special.

I find myself out leveling the game a lot. It's the first time I have played it and didn't really play Skyrim so I am kind of looking at everything. At least looking at all the quests, exploring the entire zone, etc. The game is fairly generous though in terms of still getting at least some experience for things a bit below your level, which can help with soloing, but not really for having same level gear as you level.

Fighter, Mage and Main quests seem to scale with you as you level. Undaunted doesn't seem to. Everything else is fixed at its own level it seems.

E: also, any good names so far? I have a few standard kinds of names, but named a khajit I am trying as NB Gai Inna Katsute.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Jun 11, 2015

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Non-vet Cyrodill continues to defy the "AD supremacy" doctrine. Daggerfall won the last campaign by a decent but not overwhelming margin, and with about 3 hours left in the current campaign the Pact is poised to win a narrow victory. In both cases the Dominion is taking last place although they have at least claimed an emperor in the twilight of this campaign.

I have a striking suspicion that the non-vet Cyrodill is the only good Cyrodill. In vet campaigns the factions can simply each claim their own personal buff zone and then half-heartedly compete for an extra. This is, frankly, "really gay". In non-vet there is only one show in town. You make it or you don't, it's this zone or bust. This makes everyone more apt to give it their all and really fight for the win.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Kinda wish I could steal enchantments to break down

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
More advice for the console goons: until you hit VRs don't worry about repairing your gear, especially if you craft it yourself. At the rate you will be leveling it's just a waste of gold because you're replacing it so often.

Beach Party
May 2, 2012

"I took the most excellent hit of my life. Next thing I knew, I was on the beach taking in some cosmic rays gettin healed by mother nature. Takin in a little brewski, holdin on to a beautiful babe. And I'm fine today!"

Oh add me to the list gamer tag: LandingSupport

When it comes to guilds is it your account that is in the guild or specific character? I'm not sure what character I'm going to stick with.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Beach Party posted:

Oh add me to the list gamer tag: LandingSupport

When it comes to guilds is it your account that is in the guild or specific character? I'm not sure what character I'm going to stick with.

Account.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Sky Shadowing posted:

More advice for the console goons: until you hit VRs don't worry about repairing your gear, especially if you craft it yourself. At the rate you will be leveling it's just a waste of gold because you're replacing it so often.

Also, for those that don't know, training capacity on your horse is the cheapest way to increase bag space on a character after the first two bag expansions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Horses seem so damned expensive, man. =\

• Locked thread