Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KH2gc11XQU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Clementi by alkanphel, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

It would be cool to see all of your empty building shots in a series or collection. Are you intending these to be part of a large unified project? Maybe Square Magazine would be interested in them :aaaaa:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

LargeHadron posted:

It would be cool to see all of your empty building shots in a series or collection. Are you intending these to be part of a large unified project? Maybe Square Magazine would be interested in them :aaaaa:

Yeah actually I did have a unified b&w series for these type of photos on my website but I've since taken it down because I felt it wasn't strong enough as a series yet, so I'll need a lot more time to curate and sequence the photos. But it's now on the backburner though, because I'm working on a number of other series and projects, one which I just finally finished working on! Thanks for the heads-up about Square Magazine, I'll take a look into them :D

Captain Organ
Sep 9, 2004
cooter. snooper.
Untitled

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

this is rad

Subyng
May 4, 2013

noice

ajkalan
Aug 17, 2011

It was cool of NASA to install that gas station on the Moon

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
So the $500 P67ii may not have actually been the only thing I purchased this weekend, or even the most expensive. I'm only speaking hypothetically here but I may have bought a BGN 400 EDIF from KEH for $1150 to go along with it. It might have showed up today in its coffin case. I'm not going to say whether or not the case strap was broken or whether the key was missing, because the answer is yes to both. :mediocre:

It's like a small telescope, and that's pretty much what I bought it for - Pentax full frame astro-tracer shooting. Also I'm p. impressed with the build quality, it has an integral hood that locks into place with a mini helicoid at the front and back of its range, adjustable infinity set-point, an optically integrated 67mm filter in your drawers at the rear, and a tripod mounted fleshlight mount plate for front end support.

It's OK though, I got a raise and possibly a promotion, and I took my GF out to a nice dinner and she's OK with it as long as I take some nice pictures of her. :unsmith:

Note: I'm not actually going to be able to sell my P67 because it has a replacement split screen and you plebs wouldn't appreciate it it's too customized to my personal preferences for me to be able to give up. Also, unless I shoot the 67/67ii we're gonna need walkie talkies with my APS-C bodies :gbsmith:

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Jun 5, 2015

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

Paul MaudDib posted:

So the $500 P67ii may not have actually been the only thing I purchased this weekend, or even the most expensive. I'm only speaking hypothetically here but I may have bought a BGN 400 EDIF from KEH for $1150 to go along with it. It might have showed up today in its coffin case. I'm not going to say whether or not the case strap was broken or whether the key was missing, because the answer is yes to both. :mediocre:

It's like a small telescope, and that's pretty much what I bought it for - Pentax full frame astro-tracer shooting. Also I'm p. impressed with the build quality, it has an integral hood that locks into place with a mini helicoid at the front and back of its range, adjustable infinity set-point, an optically integrated 67mm filter in your drawers at the rear, and a tripod mounted fleshlight mount plate for front end support.

It's OK though, I got a raise and possibly a promotion, and I took my GF out to a nice dinner and she's OK with it as long as I take some nice pictures of her. :unsmith:

Note: I'm not actually going to be able to sell my P67 because it has a replacement split screen and you plebs wouldn't appreciate it it's too customized to my personal preferences for me to be able to give up. Also, unless I shoot the 67/67ii we're gonna need walkie talkies with my APS-C bodies :gbsmith:

Did all of that come in a crate?

Man_of_Teflon
Aug 15, 2003

just got my first 4x5 slide film back... delicious!

edit: one more

Man_of_Teflon fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 6, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Pukestain Pal posted:

Did all of that come in a crate?

All I wanted was a shiny video game hat and instead I got this dumb camera for giants. I can't even take selfies with it :saddowns:

Nah, two separate things. While I was drunkenly seeing whether I could close the sale on the 67ii before some white knight ruined it (I actually offered 50% over asking to jump the line that had already formed), I was browsing KEH and noticed that for the first time in my 5 years of looking they actually had one of the EDIFs. In BGN grade, caps and case. I've been window-shopping on the 300mm EDIF for a while since it's a little less absurdly priced, but that usually runs at least $925 after shipping from :japan:. A couple hundred bucks more and I get the extra 100mm? loving sold.

That totally completes my collection for serious shooting - a decent long lens was the last thing I was missing in my 67 kit. Previously I topped out at 150mm which is on the short side. I would still like to grab a 75/2.8 AL but I can live without it just fine given the 105/2.4, the 75/4.5, and the 55/4. The 35mm is also an intriguing lens given how much it covers for a 35mm fisheye, but it's not that practical.

e: I really hope my Arca-Swiss B1 is up to handling this.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 6, 2015

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Been having problems with my rz67 recognizing the film back. It's happened twice. Today I got about 6 shots into a roll and was waiting for some clouds to move to take another shot. I went to fire the shutter and got the orange LED in the viewfinder signaling I had no film. I tried with a different back and same thing. Anyone have any suggestions?

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Paul MaudDib posted:

All I wanted was a shiny video game hat and instead I got this dumb camera for giants. I can't even take selfies with it :saddowns:

Nah, two separate things. While I was drunkenly seeing whether I could close the sale on the 67ii before some white knight ruined it (I actually offered 50% over asking to jump the line that had already formed), I was browsing KEH and noticed that for the first time in my 5 years of looking they actually had one of the EDIFs. In BGN grade, caps and case. I've been window-shopping on the 300mm EDIF for a while since it's a little less absurdly priced, but that usually runs at least $925 after shipping from :japan:. A couple hundred bucks more and I get the extra 100mm? loving sold.

That totally completes my collection for serious shooting - a decent long lens was the last thing I was missing in my 67 kit. Previously I topped out at 150mm which is on the short side. I would still like to grab a 75/2.8 AL but I can live without it just fine given the 105/2.4, the 75/4.5, and the 55/4. The 35mm is also an intriguing lens given how much it covers for a 35mm fisheye, but it's not that practical.

e: I really hope my Arca-Swiss B1 is up to handling this.

The long Pentax glass is so drat rare; I came across either the 500 or 600 at a used camera shop in Japan two years ago and was torn on buying it just to flip, but I couldn't really even get a good ballpark of what it would go for in the US because auctions were so uncommon. IIRC it was about $800, which was about half what I thought they went for, but I chickened out.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Whats the minimum aperture would you guys use for a portrait (head and shoulders) with 6x6 film, 75mm FL, ~4 ft to subject. Only have access to my.phone, don't feel like futzing around with DOF calculators. I'd want to keep their eyes+ tip of the nose in focus.

spf3million fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jun 8, 2015

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Saint Fu posted:

Whats the minimum aperture would you guys use for a portrait (head and shoulders) with 6x6 film, 75mm FL, ~4 ft to subject. Only have access to my.phone, don't feel like futzing around with DOF calculators. I'd want to keep their eyes+ tip of the nose in focus.

f/4 or f/5.6 depending on how confident you're feeling about your focusing skills.

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

Just bought a second Mamiya Press body. Will try to hack off the viewfinder and make it more shoulder bag friendly.
I feel a bit bad about destroying it, but it shall live again! :drac:

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Clementi by alkanphel, on Flickr

Beo Crescent by alkanphel, on Flickr

alkanphel fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jun 9, 2015

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Pompous Rhombus posted:

The long Pentax glass is so drat rare; I came across either the 500 or 600 at a used camera shop in Japan two years ago and was torn on buying it just to flip, but I couldn't really even get a good ballpark of what it would go for in the US because auctions were so uncommon. IIRC it was about $800, which was about half what I thought they went for, but I chickened out.

Don't use those auctions from Japan as a price reference, they don't really sell. Like the 400mm is listed for like $2800 all the time, the actual value at which people buy it is like $1700-2000.

The P67ii+AE+45mm for $530 (showed up today :circlefap:) was a screaming deal. The 400mm for $1150 was only a really good deal that was helped with $100 of credit card incentives (not cashback).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jun 9, 2015

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Saint Fu posted:

I consistently shoot at 1/30th @ f/2.4 and get stuff in focus. Depending on the shape of their face, pose, stillness etc you should be able to get their whole face in focus, just make it explicitly clear to the subject that they are not to move back or forth whatsoever. Also, give yourself a few exposures to work with. I usually find 4-6 is enough for me in such a tight situation.

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

click clack POW, officer down
I went to Iceland and it was pretty okay i guess

Shot with my Fuji GSW690II

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
^^ goddamn

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

Woah. These are all killer, what film did you use?

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

pootiebigwang posted:

Woah. These are all killer, what film did you use?

Kodak Ektar :getin:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

:worship:

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009

i can never seem to make my ektar not look wonky as hell. how do you make it look dope?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Tony Two Bapes posted:

i can never seem to make my ektar not look wonky as hell. how do you make it look dope?

i haven't taken ektar seriously because the rules are supposedly "only shoot at golden hour or it wont look Quite Right"

tactical sandals, reveal your secrets to us

TACTICAL SANDALS
Nov 7, 2009

Mido posted:

i haven't taken ektar seriously because the rules are supposedly "only shoot at golden hour or it wont look Quite Right"

tactical sandals, reveal your secrets to us

haha umm lemme think

Obviously it's pretty sensitive to correct exposure so a proper meter is a must, especially in any situation that isn't full sun/daytime.
It seems to be sort of picky about what camera or lens you're using a bit. I've shot it on 4x5 with some Schneider lenses and was NOT happy with the results. On 35mm it's okay but kind of meh, even with the Sigma 35mm ~ART~ . Med format seems to be where it shines, it gets along fantastically with my Rolleiflex and I'm happy with how these Fuji photos came out. This was really the first time I put the GSW through its paces, I've shot with the GW690 a bunch and always got great results. It's cheaper than Portra so I'd say just get a couple rolls and see what happens!

edit here's one more from Jokularson glacier. This was like 11pm

TACTICAL SANDALS fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 11, 2015

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

TACTICAL SANDALS posted:

edit here's one more from Jokularson glacier. This was like 11pm

yeah but 11pm is golden hour in iceland in june sooooo :v:

Bud
Oct 5, 2002

Quite Polite Like Walter Cronkite
Those are awesome, welcome back! And thank you for helping me decide what to scan next, I've got 3 rolls of ektar from my fuji waiting in the drawer.

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.
In my experience it's either golden hour or overcast daylight for Ektar. Straight daylight is ok if everything is within +/-1 EV.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Bud posted:

Those are awesome, welcome back! And thank you for helping me decide what to scan next, I've got 3 rolls of ektar from my fuji waiting in the drawer.

Scan everything

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I don't have the money for this right now but how good of a deal is this, if at all?

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-camera-camcorder-lens/calgary/classic-camera-linhof-kardan-standard-4x5-9x12-cm/1052439927

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

first set of poo poo shot on the Chamonix 45F1 with a nikkor w 150mm f/5.6

garage by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

church by Max Piepenbrink, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Dover by alkanphel, on Flickr

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

voodoorootbeer posted:

In my experience it's either golden hour or overcast daylight for Ektar. Straight daylight is ok if everything is within +/-1 EV.

Interesting, I just went back through my Ektar shots and yeah it's almost all semi-overcast or golden hour light. I shot a roll recently in bright sunlight and was really disappointed.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

Been having problems with my rz67 recognizing the film back. It's happened twice. Today I got about 6 shots into a roll and was waiting for some clouds to move to take another shot. I went to fire the shutter and got the orange LED in the viewfinder signaling I had no film. I tried with a different back and same thing. Anyone have any suggestions?

Figured I'd try bumping this once. I think I'll try to get my hands on a back that's in better shape and see if the problem persists.

TheJeffers
Jan 31, 2007

Thoogsby posted:

Figured I'd try bumping this once. I think I'll try to get my hands on a back that's in better shape and see if the problem persists.

I can't offer any insight as to why your problem is happening, but make sure that you buy an RZ67 Pro II back if you get another one. They're newer and they use a foam-free light trap system.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

deaders posted:

Interesting, I just went back through my Ektar shots and yeah it's almost all semi-overcast or golden hour light. I shot a roll recently in bright sunlight and was really disappointed.

The colours just go crazy in full sunlight, everything is off in different ways and is nearly impossible to correct.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

TheJeffers posted:

I can't offer any insight as to why your problem is happening, but make sure that you buy an RZ67 Pro II back if you get another one. They're newer and they use a foam-free light trap system.

Thanks for the tip. The backs I'm using are the Pro 1 and they're both absolutely beaten to poo poo so I'm hoping that's it.

• Locked thread