Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chuggo is BACK
Jul 1, 2008

"Chuggo"

PWM POTM December 2014

Polidoro posted:

I really hate him and hope Jack Warner has him killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

John Oliver owns

ronniegardocki
Apr 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

John Oliver owns

nah

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Great comeback, noted posted with no sense of humor.

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013
the only funny thing john oliver has done is community and that was in spite of him

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I like how, when John Oliver thinks he's made a funny, he repeats it twice just to make sure we've heard it.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

All your awful posts in TFF have been wiped clean

fagg*t

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

2026 World Cup bidding has been suspended.

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008

"Persons unknown" duuun duuun duuun

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Good article by Gary Linekers agent in the new statesman about why there's no joy in any of this.

http://www.newstatesman.com/lifestyle/2015/06/celebrating-fall-fifa-s-sepp-blatter-english-football-should-get-its-own-house

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Bad Moon posted:

Jack Warner held up an Onion article as proof of something. Really, how can you follow that up.

Pretty smart actually. It will figure into his plea defense of, ah..... pdfs (psycho-dissociative fiduciary syndrome) from visiting Haiti

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Has Oliver had his Big Mac and Budweiser yet?

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
Truly the right place to hold a world cup.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

hecko posted:

Truly the right place to hold a world cup.

Who cares? The stadiums will be built for the World Cup not local things. The venues in China, Brazil, Greece etc are all abandoned as well.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

John Oliver owns

also

Moktaro posted:

Has Oliver had his Big Mac and Budweiser yet?

Yeah, in his last show. Should be up on Youtube.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

jyrka posted:

Who cares? The stadiums will be built for the World Cup not local things. The venues in China, Brazil, Greece etc are all abandoned as well.

Are you defending building stadia that have a bigger capacity than the host city?

Is there going to be such a thing as a host city in Qatar WC 2022, or will everyone hang out in Doha?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's cool guys, remember the Qatar bid said they were going to build modular stadiums and then ship them to Africa once they were done with the World Cup, presumably along with the shade-generating artificial clouds and magical zero-emissions open air stadium cooling technology.

4 inch cut no femmes
May 31, 2011
I would be 100% behind Qatar if every stadium was a SHIELD helistadium what with the technology they were promising

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
qatar is prob pretty nice if youre a rich tourist though

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

El Hefe posted:

I dont think they let you drink though do they?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That Works posted:

With Budweiser being a major World Cup sponsor, I imagine they'd have to let you drink. FIFA pulled the same stunt with Brazil in 2014.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

That Works posted:

it's cool in the hotels but they're pretty uptight about alcohol anywhere public

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Xenomrph posted:

With Budweiser being a major World Cup sponsor, I imagine they'd have to let you drink. FIFA pulled the same stunt with Brazil in 2014.

I believe FIFA went as far as forcing the government to pass or repeal a bill that wo allow them to?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rad Valtar posted:

I believe FIFA went as far as forcing the government to pass or repeal a bill that wo allow them to?
Yes, the nicknamed "Budweiser bill" to allow the sale of liquor at World Cup stadiums.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Rad Valtar posted:

I could definitely see that as grounds for a suicide bomber, they loving don't need much

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Dirk Pitt posted:

Are you defending building stadia that have a bigger capacity than the host city?

You don't have to dig too deep to find American Football stadiums that are like that. The University of Alabama stadium is about 10k capacity larger than the town it lives in.

Even a few of the NFL teams are close. Lambeau Stadium has a capacity of around 86k and Green Bay itself is only ~110k

edit: Not that I'm defending Qatar in any way

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Azhais posted:

You don't have to dig too deep to find American Football stadiums that are like that. The University of Alabama stadium is about 10k capacity larger than the town it lives in.

Even a few of the NFL teams are close. Lambeau Stadium has a capacity of around 86k and Green Bay itself is only ~110k

I don't think calling up examples of stadiums that have regular tenants that sell out every single game in established major North American sports is quite apples and apples to some 4k sand dune on the Arabian peninsula.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 11, 2015

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
I was lolling for the entire 2 minutes it took for me to drive through 2022 host city Al Khor back in april.

There is gently caress all to do in Doha itself anyway, and the rest of the country has about a negative entertainment rate, but those were two good minutes.

Conartist
Aug 15, 2004

davecrazy posted:

I don't think calling up examples of stadiums that have regular tenants that sell out every single game in established major North American sports is quite apples and apples to some 4k sand dune on the Arabian peninsula.
Not to mention that, despite the low populations of these cities, there is a large population of alumni and fans who travel just for the games which is why the stadiums are as big as they are in the first place. The team was there first and as the attendance grew they built a larger stadium. They didn't build the big-huge stadium first.

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp

Azhais posted:

And they sell out every single game and aren't abandoned after one event. America is better than China, Greece, and Brazil. Comparing how loving awesome America is to those shitholes is insulting and deeply hurtful.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Who cares about the loving stadiums? Let them waste their money if they want to.

The only thing wrong about the Qatar bid is the heat. Everything else is bullshit.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
maybe the players need to man up and play in 40C weather without whining so much then loving pussies

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Polidoro posted:

Who cares about the loving stadiums? Let them waste their money if they want to.

The only thing wrong about the Qatar bid is the heat. Everything else is bullshit.
And since the Swiss just got all of FIFA's data regarding the Russian and Qatar bids, we can expect to see said bids disintegrate overnight in a dazzling display of karma.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Karma for what?

oldman
Dec 15, 2003
grumpy
Isn't one of FIFA's ,relatively recent, conditions that new stadiums get built for the World Cup?

Or was that just construction companies going hog wild in the host countries?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Brazil built new stadiums because they wanted matches to be played in ridiculous places. They didn't need to but they probably stole a lot of money. South Africa needed stadiums built because they didn't have enough and they probably stole a lot of money.

Germany didn't need to build any but they renovated some stadiums and probably stole a lot of money.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Polidoro posted:

Well no that wasn't the only thing wrong. There was the whole everything they were going to do to mitigate the heat, like air conditioning open-air stadiums and creating artificial clouds, which were basically hilarious pipe dreams that they made up. You want to mitigate the summer heat? Build a loving retractable roof and wheel the grass inside. There are number of stadiums that already do this.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Crazy Ted posted:

Well no that wasn't the only thing wrong. There was the whole everything they were going to do to mitigate the heat, like air conditioning open-air stadiums and creating artificial clouds, which were basically hilarious pipe dreams that they made up. You want to mitigate the summer heat? Build a loving retractable roof and wheel the grass inside. There are number of stadiums that already do this.

This is what never made sense to me about their move to the Winter.

Indoor stadiums with grass are not at all a new technology and with all the money they're wasting on everything else an indoor air conditioned stadium isn't some crazy untried theory.

gently caress, the city hosting the opening and final games in Qatar, Lusail, doesn't even exist yet. They not only need to build a brand new 85,000 seat stadium (which is NEVER getting filled again), they have to build a city to put it in first.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Conartist posted:

Not to mention that, despite the low populations of these cities, there is a large population of alumni and fans who travel just for the games which is why the stadiums are as big as they are in the first place. The team was there first and as the attendance grew they built a larger stadium. They didn't build the big-huge stadium first.

I know the States and its stadiums is a really popular topic around here, but our two biggest stadiums, the Big House in Ann Arbor, and the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, are both approximately the size of their host cities.

Now, granted, attendance feeds off of local universities and the much-bigger cities for which they're suburbs, but the numbers stack up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

El Hefe posted:

i visited it for 3 days on leave when i was deployed to iraq

its a shithole