Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

jaegerx posted:

Government actually prohibited the news publishing balloon reports. Didn't want to panic people and let the Japanese know they actually hit the U.S. Granted they only killed like 1 person who kicked an unexploded bomb.

Several, actually. A Sunday school teacher, her husband, and 5 of her students were hiking in Oregon when they found one of the bombs. After that the press blackout was lifted to prevent additional casualties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ArchangeI posted:

No offense, but most professional historians probably don't want to put "Source: A guy I asked on the Internet to look at it for me, no worries he's legit as gently caress" in a footnote.
that's "source: personal conversation" to anyone who asks

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

HEY GAL posted:

that's "source: personal conversation" to anyone who asks

It's more professional if you say 'personal correspondence'.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Disinterested, if you come across any pikes, can you measure the diameter of their shafts? I'm not asking you to go out of your way for this, though.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I suggest avoiding the Tepes pike diameter measurement method, though.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

HEY GAL posted:

Disinterested, if you come across any pikes, can you measure the diameter of their shafts? I'm not asking you to go out of your way for this, though.

I doubt I'll be able to get in the cabinets with them but I can note down anything written anywhere.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Disinterested posted:

I doubt I'll be able to get in the cabinets with them but I can note down anything written anywhere.
Often, they're in a frame not unlike a massive umbrella stand, rather than a cabinet. They are in Vienna. Thanks!

my dad posted:

I suggest avoiding the Tepes pike diameter measurement method, though.
That's stakes not pikes, do you have any idea how much you'd gently caress up the balance by doing that? It's why I get grumbly every time someone says "head on a pike." "Head on a spike."

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

See, now I'm remembering everything you said about pikes being springy and wobbly, and with a weight wedged on top... what I'm saying is, is ventriloquism known to your guys?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GAL posted:

That's stakes not pikes, do you have any idea how much you'd gently caress up the balance by doing that? It's why I get grumbly every time someone says "head on a pike." "Head on a spike."
Wait, are you telling me that sticking someone's head on a pike and waving it above the battlements to attract sniper fire wasn't a thing your guys did?

despise you
Jan 20, 2007
Its taken a year of bedtime browsing... but I finished the thread.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

gradenko_2000 posted:

Bull was assassinated in March 1990, possibly by Mossad, and these works were not advanced nor completed until ultimately the project materials were dismantled and confiscated by UN inspectors after the Gulf War.

Somehow I'm more perturbed by the Israeli government murdering white anglos than brown arabs :stare:. Perhaps because the latter is routine, while the former is uncommon yet just as unpunished.

But of course, Mossad has plausible deniability because Bull also had a shitload of other enemies.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 11, 2015

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Arbite posted:

Thank you for all these, I mainly know about the rebellion through Flashman and the Dragon. Is it known when the black banners were first used?

The black flags commanding the army to fight to the death? I believe that story originates from a very late western account, by mercenary AF Lindley. I'll let you know if/when I come across any mentions of it from Chinese sources.

I haven't read Flashman and Dragon, I feel like I should probably correct that.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

despise you posted:

Its taken a year of bedtime browsing... but I finished the thread.

Welcome to the Present.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine
Which one of Ewart Oakeshott's books is best, at least for understanding medieval swords and related martial arts

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

P-Mack posted:

The black flags commanding the army to fight to the death? I believe that story originates from a very late western account, by mercenary AF Lindley. I'll let you know if/when I come across any mentions of it from Chinese sources.

I haven't read Flashman and Dragon, I feel like I should probably correct that.

Please do. As for the book, it's a great read. The whole series is.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm starting to notice that I finish Audible audio books like ten times faster than regular books. I don't even think I've read 3 physical books this year and I've devoured a dozen from audible, including all of The Civil War: a narrative. I tried to read Furies on my phone since Hegel recommend it like a year ago but that went no where and unfortunately I didn't see it available on Audible.

So what I'm asking is, could anyone make a list of good history books that are available on Audible? I can't seem to read Rubicon to save my live but I've heard every episode of History of Rome, so maybe I should start there. Or is there a nice fat book on Chinese History that would be particularly recommended? The bigger the book the better since they're all priced the same with their credit system., Shelby Foote was really cost effective.

Edit - Oh! Furies IS on here, awesome. I could always use more recommendations though.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Afternoon, Mansfeld Regiment, how are things?

quote:

On the 27th of October, 1625, Noc Munch, Asmus Schmidt, Balzer Holfeldt, Hanns Kolbig, and Albus Munch allowed themselves to plunder a rider on the open street near Alessandria and robbed him of a mantle, a sword, a short jacket, a pair of hose, and 30 batzen in cash. It was turned over to the Oberst Lieutenant.
The five were pardoned. No news on where the goods ended up.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Baloogan posted:

Welcome to the Present.

Now let's talk about pikes and cod pieces.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

PittTheElder posted:

Now let's talk about pikes and cod pieces.

Bayonets and breeches.

Doc Quantum
Sep 15, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

Did the rider at least get some compensation for the stuff they took?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

quantumavenger posted:

lol

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Chamale posted:

It's physically impossible to shoot something into low-earth orbit using a gun alone, although I suppose you could shoot a rocket to the correct altitude and then use thrust to keep it in orbit, or keep it from escaping Earth's gravity.

Counterpoint:

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

quantumavenger posted:

He probably got away with minor bruising.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Jack B Nimble posted:

I'm starting to notice that I finish Audible audio books like ten times faster than regular books. I don't even think I've read 3 physical books this year and I've devoured a dozen from audible, including all of The Civil War: a narrative. I tried to read Furies on my phone since Hegel recommend it like a year ago but that went no where and unfortunately I didn't see it available on Audible.

So what I'm asking is, could anyone make a list of good history books that are available on Audible? I can't seem to read Rubicon to save my live but I've heard every episode of History of Rome, so maybe I should start there. Or is there a nice fat book on Chinese History that would be particularly recommended? The bigger the book the better since they're all priced the same with their credit system., Shelby Foote was really cost effective.

Edit - Oh! Furies IS on here, awesome. I could always use more recommendations though.

I thought this one was pretty good myself. It only focuses on one country so you only have to be familiar with one set of maps and locations of cities etc.

http://www.audible.com/pd/History/Afghanistan-Audiobook/B002V8LD5K/ref=a_search_c4_1_1_srTtl?qid=1434003238&sr=1-1

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It's 3 kingdoms era but do any of you chinese enthusiasts know anything about the stone sentinel maze?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

cheerfullydrab posted:

Counterpoint:

That's not low-earth orbit.

You could use an implausibly big gun to shoot an unmanned spacecraft at the Moon, but you'd be hard-pressed to slow it down enough for a soft landing. Maybe you could do what the Soviets did and brag about slamming a projectile into the Moon at high speed.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jack B Nimble posted:

The bigger the book the better since they're all priced the same with their credit system., Shelby Foote was really cost effective.
if you want a really good pages/cost ratio, try Geoffrey Parker's Global Crisis, Peter Wilson's The Thirty Years' War: A European Tragedy, or Saul Friedlaender's Nazi Germany and the Jews vols. 1 and 2

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 11, 2015

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Do they have Shattered Sword?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Phobophilia posted:

Somehow I'm more perturbed by the Israeli government murdering white anglos than brown arabs :stare:. Perhaps because the latter is routine, while the former is uncommon yet just as unpunished.

But of course, Mossad has plausible deniability because Bull also had a shitload of other enemies.

I was going to pull out a list, but apparently they stick to arabs and nazis, other than Bull. I may be confusing them with the IDF, who are racking up a decent anglo kill streak these days.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

HEY GAL posted:

"allowed themselves to plunder a rider"? Hahaha, are they even capable of controlling themselves? It's like the default state of a soldier is attempting to steal something or trying to rape a woman.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Phobophilia posted:

"allowed themselves to plunder a rider"? Hahaha, are they even capable of controlling themselves? It's like the default state of a soldier is attempting to steal something or trying to rape a woman.
"Geluesten lassen," so kind of? "Covet," "want to," "let themselves want to." I'm actually working right now on a chapter about how mercenaries think about their emotions, and I think it's exactly as you say: having what these people regard as normal human impulses is like walking around with a firearm on a hair-trigger, and you need to "pay attention to yourself" (they say this a lot) in order not to do something unfortunate. This "attention" isn't like "self-control," it's way more...reactive. Ideally, you notice a feeling and react to it, rather than controlling yourself so you don't have those feelings. It reminds me of the way early modern justice works--they can't prevent crime, or even catch most of it, but the people they do catch are made an example of with flamboyantly terrible punishments.

What is a mercenary? A miserable little pile of impulses. But enough talk...Have at you!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

In unexpectedly topical news, today's main story is about a newly-minted Lance Corporal conducting a highly imaginative informal resupply exercise, in which a barrel of vin blanc is determined to be vital war materiel, confiscated for safe-keeping, and extremely well hidden from the Military Police. The story does have a sad ending, though, but not one that involves high explosive. Meanwhile, Kenneth Best's diary for today does in fact include high explosive, and Louis Barthas's complaint of the day revolves around how restful it isn't to be at rest.

By the way, I've just finished working on July 1914; the crisis to July 31 is ready to go up as soon as my brain stops cringing at having to talk about people who will spend most of the next four years being mostly irrelevant to anything except their dining-tables.

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jun 11, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Jack B Nimble posted:

My Audible books before I switched over to Scribd:

An Army At Dawn by Rick Atkinson
Battle Cry of Freedom, Volume 1 and 2 by James McPherson
Castles of Steel by Robert K Massie
The Eastern Front 1914-1917 by Norman Stone
Firestorm by Marshall de Bruhl
Gettysburg: The Last Invasion by Allen Guelzo
The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman
Masters of Air by Donald Miller
Paris 1919 by Margaret MacMillan
Rubicon by Tom Holland
The War That Ended Peace by Margaret MacMillan
A World Undone by GJ Meyer

I'd strongly recommend any/all of these, depending on what you want to find out more of.

EDIT: While I'm at it, audiobooks I've completed from Scribd:

LeMay by Barrett Tillman
Grant by John Mosier
Sherman by Steven Woodworth
The Best and the Brightest by David Halberstam
Inside the Nazi War Machine by Bevin Alexander
Nixon and Kissinger by Robert Dallek
Das Kapital by Karl Marx
The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
Decision in Normandy by Carlo D'Este
Colombia and Panama by Joseph Stromberg
The Korean War and the Vietnam War, Part 1 by Max Hastings
The Vietnam War, Part 2 by Wendy McElroy
Intrepid by Bill White
The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 11, 2015

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Thanks, I need stuff to listen to at work and this is perfect! Beats listening to Dan Carlin which I had been resorting to, i've found that my enjoyment of his shows is inversely proportional to how much you already know about what he's talking about.

No sign of Shattered Sword in audiobook form though which is a shame, that appeals to the plane sperg in me.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

gradenko_2000 posted:

My Audible books before I switched over to Scribd:

An Army At Dawn by Rick Atkinson
Battle Cry of Freedom, Volume 1 and 2 by James McPherson
Castles of Steel by Robert K Massie
The Eastern Front 1914-1917 by Norman Stone
Firestorm by Marshall de Bruhl
Gettysburg: The Last Invasion by Allen Guelzo
The Guns of August by Barbara Tuchman
Masters of Air by Donald Miller
Paris 1919 by Margaret MacMillan
Rubicon by Tom Holland
The War That Ended Peace by Margaret MacMillan
A World Undone by GJ Meyer

I'd strongly recommend any/all of these, depending on what you want to find out more of.

EDIT: While I'm at it, audiobooks I've completed from Scribd:

LeMay by Barrett Tillman
Grant by John Mosier
Sherman by Steven Woodworth
The Best and the Brightest by David Halberstam
Inside the Nazi War Machine by Bevin Alexander
Nixon and Kissinger by Robert Dallek
Das Kapital by Karl Marx
The Communist Manifesto by Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels
Decision in Normandy by Carlo D'Este
Colombia and Panama by Joseph Stromberg
The Korean War and the Vietnam War, Part 1 by Max Hastings
The Vietnam War, Part 2 by Wendy McElroy
Intrepid by Bill White
The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan

Is "Das Kapital" well done? It's on my reading list, but I never get around.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

"Geluesten lassen," so kind of? "Covet," "want to," "let themselves want to." I'm actually working right now on a chapter about how mercenaries think about their emotions, and I think it's exactly as you say: having what these people regard as normal human impulses is like walking around with a firearm on a hair-trigger, and you need to "pay attention to yourself" (they say this a lot) in order not to do something unfortunate. This "attention" isn't like "self-control," it's way more...reactive. Ideally, you notice a feeling and react to it, rather than controlling yourself so you don't have those feelings. It reminds me of the way early modern justice works--they can't prevent crime, or even catch most of it, but the people they do catch are made an example of with flamboyantly terrible punishments.

What is a mercenary? A miserable little pile of impulses. But enough talk...Have at you!

It makes sense to me, a lot of discourse around that time was still developing from classical conceptions of manliness as being essentially about controlling your appetites and passions through reason, heaped upon Christian conceptions of original sin.

Hobbes is literally peoples consciousness is just pure appetites in a fully deterministic universe :stare:

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 11, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

MikeCrotch posted:

Thanks, I need stuff to listen to at work and this is perfect! Beats listening to Dan Carlin which I had been resorting to, i've found that my enjoyment of his shows is inversely proportional to how much you already know about what he's talking about.

No sign of Shattered Sword in audiobook form though which is a shame, that appeals to the plane sperg in me.

See if sunburst is available? It's IJN aviation the book.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Trip report: went to the Wallace Collection this lunchtime as it's nearby and did a quick survey with my camera to see if there's anything of interest.

No pikes for Hegel - the European collection is v. aristocratic and 16th century, but there were a shitload of Halberds and Glaives.

There were a few bows, though, but I need to work out how to deal with the glare from the glass cabinets/weird lighting, and I also need to bring down my camera to do more detailed shots if Jauche wants them.

Photos forthcoming.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

JaucheCharly posted:

Is "Das Kapital" well done? It's on my reading list, but I never get around.

I honestly couldn't say. I think it might have completely bounced off of me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Phobophilia posted:

The omission from gradenko_2000's story is that Hussein wasn't just funding Bull's work because he wanted a space-launching gun. The quid pro quo was that Bull would help the Iraqis develop longer-range versions of the Scud, which directly threatened Israel. He also designed two advanced SP guns for Iraq. So the fact that the Babylon gun didn't really have any military applications isn't that relevant; if the Mossad did kill him it's not because of Babylon.

• Locked thread