Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

paragon1 posted:

Wait a second, Hispanic? Poor? In Arizona? Yeah you were the victim of some racist as poo poo educators and administrators ElCondemn.

Oh wait you just admitted that your fine with loving over your kid so long as they get the "education" you would have wanted.

That's really horrible.

Yes, I want my children to have what I didn't. Choice in their education is one of the many things I want for my children that I didn't have as a child.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ElCondemn posted:

Yes, I want my children to have what I didn't. Choice in their education is one of the many things I want for my children that I didn't have as a child.

This probably isn't a great idea because a 5 year-old likely doesn't know whether or not an education is an important thing to have, hth

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

ElCondemn posted:

It's been brought up as a joke before, but do you also think your child should be allowed to choose what they eat all the time? Should they choose when they go to bed, or if they brush their teeth?

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

ElCondemn posted:

But that's not why I'm taking this approach with my children, I think I've explained pretty clearly why I like this approach, the freedom and ability to choose what you want is important to me, and I want to extend that to my children.
Maybe they will love school, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if my kid wants to go to normal school they are free to do it. I am only giving them options,
starting from a structured environment and going to an unstructured environment I believe will be more difficult, so I'm starting from unstructured and they can decide if they like structure on their own.

The issue is that children don't have the necessary life experience or even cognitive development to make an informed choice. Your job as a parent is delivering your child to the point where they can do that, but it is unrealistic to expect that capacity from a six- or seven-year-old.

Before I go on, I want to make it clear that I understand your position and what you think you're achieving with this idea. I do not agree with you, but I am not going to just mock and insult you. I am taking you seriously.

But, stated more firmly, you have a responsibility as a parent to make choices on behalf of your child. If you refuse to do that, you're not talking about giving them the freedom to choose. They simply lack the ability to do that effectively. They don't understand the options, they can't compare the outcomes, and they can't evaluate probability, risk, or long-term consequences. Lacking those capacities is the literal difference between childhood and adulthood. Putting that kind of choice on a child is unfair to them. What you're talking about is abdicating your responsibility as a parent.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ElCondemn posted:

Tell me how your kid could possibly make an informed choice if they never go to a school, let alone a variety of schools.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ElCondemn posted:

yeah but you actively rejected public education while you were still a minor though

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
please keep in mind that you are saying "i dropped out of public education because i hated it" and "i expect my children will choose public education if they don't like my teachings"

children don't know anything, you have to fill them with all their knowledge about the world before they can create new knowledge for themselves, and by your own admission you're a stubborn sadsack who is proud he dont need no book larnin

you're setting your children up for a lifetime of grinding difficulty and i for one applaud you. parents who take the coward's choice of providing all kinds of expensive and enriching opportunities for their children are just creating more competitors for my kids and i support anyone who wants to thin that crowd a little

you know you should go all the way and always dress them in torn, dirty clothes while they're running around harassing the neighbors during the school day. make sure they don't have any shoes too. really teach them the value of bootstraps

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ElCondemn posted:

What did you want as a child that wasn't provided to you?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ElCondemn posted:

I understand you're making fun of me and think I'm stupid, it doesn't mean I can't be jovial about it. It is nice that you feel bad for being a jerk though, but I'm pretty sure you're just trying to make me feel bad.

It's definitely still on the table, I just prefer a system that allows our kid to choose the path they prefer. If they decide they want to go to public school or have a more structured learning environment I will provide that for them.

My approach will be to provide life experience and teach through living, that's the whole point. Being hands off is definitely not the approach I'm suggesting.

I will provide whatever my children need to be happy and be able to support themselves when I am gone. We're starting with the unschooling approach because we believe it is the best way to give our child the freedom to choose what they want to learn.

After reading all these posts I think maybe the problem is you guys had great school experiences, or at least very different than mine. My brother and I were thrown into ESL classes because we're Hispanic, even though English was our first language. We were put into detention and suspended often and for minor reasons (like not completing an assignment). The last year I attended classes I spent most of it in in school suspension because I did not have the materials I needed to participate in class (pencil and paper). Also teaching the way you've all described definitely did not happen in my school, it was a warehouse and we were all very aware of that. I don't have faith that my child will have a better experience in public schools than I did.

If they can feed and clothe themselves, balance their finances, and communicate effectively I would consider it a success. But even if we presume a nightmare scenario, they somehow never learned to read, write or do basic arithmetic, they never learned to bathe, are essentially feral and can only communicate through a series of grunts and gestures, I can't imagine they would be much worse off than than the other stupid kids in class.

Exactly, that's why we plan to fill their lives with experiences, allow them to sample a bit of everything and decide for themselves what they like. This to me is a better guiding hand than some school who doesn't give a poo poo if my kid gets left behind or not.

That's true, that's why they have the freedom to choose that life if they want, as well as decide they don't like it and switch to a different education model.

I will provide whatever my child needs, trying to scare me into normal schooling because my kid might be disabled is ridiculous. Maybe in your school they did a really good job with the developmentally challenged kids, but in mine it wasn't any better than the normal kids.

You're literally running off the assumption that my child is going to instinctively desire structured education. The most common method in the US is to go to public school but I'm certainly not convinced it's the best by far, nor has it been proven to be the best compared to methods used in other countries or alternative schools. I appreciate where you're coming from but I really don't see why my methodology is any worse than parents who send their kid to public school and who have no interest in teaching their kid at all. If I had said "I'm sending my kid to traditional school" you all would have apparently cheered and sang praises, but the fact that I have decided to take an active approach to teaching my kids I'm painted as a child abuser, it's frankly silly.

I really didn't intend to derail this thread like this. I don't think I'm the only one who believes our school system is very flawed, I bet at least half the posters who are decrying unschooling would agree with my position on the school system. I think the real problem is that people have decided that anti-vaxxers and other loonies who love this kind of poo poo are on board so it's automatically bad by association. I'm sure there are plenty of terrible people who take this approach, but I don't think the approach itself is terrible.

1. I agree, I am an anomaly and I wouldn't say it's common for most people and certainly not guaranteed or even statistically probable that my own children will be able to do what I've done. But that's not why I'm taking this approach with my children, I think I've explained pretty clearly why I like this approach, the freedom and ability to choose what you want is important to me, and I want to extend that to my children.

2. Maybe they will love school, I've said it before and I'll say it again, if my kid wants to go to normal school they are free to do it. I am only giving them options, starting from a structured environment and going to an unstructured environment I believe will be more difficult, so I'm starting from unstructured and they can decide if they like structure on their own.

3. Since we got married we've been looking into the school district we live in, the schools look fine and great and all and they're within walking distance or a short bus ride. I'll definitely talk to my wife about volunteering. My experience in Arizona is going to undoubtedly be different for my children here in Washington. I'm not opposed to a structured schooling environment, as I keep saying, I just think having the option to pursue what you want is going to be much more satisfying and stimulating than sitting around either not knowing what's going on or being bored waiting for the rest of the class to catch up.

Hi please eat your children it's better for their well-being than whatever the gently caress it is you're planning on subjecting them to

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

quote:

After reading all these posts I think maybe the problem is you guys had great school experiences,

Hi I spent five years hiding in the corner being an autistic weirdo and hating every second of my life. I had one good year. I was bored constantly and pulled a B average doing no work whatsoever.

You're still an idiot.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

This probably isn't a great idea because a 5 year-old likely doesn't know whether or not an education is an important thing to have, hth

Yes they do. Same reason you shouldn't force vaccination on your child: they cry when the needle goes in because they know it's bad. Listen to your child, let them be the adult and make adult decisions like "should I get an education".

Hunchie
Jul 28, 2006
I was just wondering how does libertarian thought deal with the issue mental health or health care generally?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hunchie posted:

I was just wondering how does libertarian thought deal with the issue mental health or health care generally?

I'm sure there will be plenty of charity once the government stops stealing all our hard-earned money.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hunchie posted:

Mental health=thought control. Government-funded big pharma is preventing the neurologically atypical from undertaking lucrative shamanic careers.

Numb Three Ers
Jul 7, 2007
What do you mean it's pronouced "numbers"?
El have you considered the possibility you might be a lovely teacher? Like what if after a bunch of months of trying this your kid hasn't learnt anything important? Do you have any prior teaching experience? I have slowly realized that I don't know half as much about the world than I used to think I did. It's a humbling experience. Will you ever be able to look your child in the eye and say "I don't know, I don't have all the answers." And what if you are wrong and this whole "unteaching" thing is a big mistake. Would you have it in you to admit that you don't know better than everyone else.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Numb Three Ers posted:

El have you considered the possibility you might be a lovely teacher? Like what if after a bunch of months of trying this your kid hasn't learnt anything important? Do you have any prior teaching experience? I have slowly realized that I don't know half as much about the world than I used to think I did. It's a humbling experience. Will you ever be able to look your child in the eye and say "I don't know, I don't have all the answers." And what if you are wrong and this whole "unteaching" thing is a big mistake. Would you have it in you to admit that you don't know better than everyone else.

I don't think I'm a great teacher, but my wife has teaching experience and she's assured me she's capable and I trust her.

quote:

Will you ever be able to look your child in the eye and say "I don't know, I don't have all the answers."

Yes, that's not scary to me, if i need to learn I look it up. There's no reason to hide my ignorance from my child. I would hope they learn to value seeking knowledge too.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

GODDAMN IT!

Over 200 posts in one day, and I thought that meant JRode posted again. Yet that does not appear to be the case. :mad:

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ElCondemn posted:

ebut my wife has teaching experience

doing what exactly

Caros
May 14, 2008

Literally The Worst posted:

doing what exactly

Teaching. Christ, did he not just get finished explaining this?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Caros posted:

Teaching. Christ, did he not just get finished explaining this?

"Teaching experience" could just mean she's a sub in which case fuckin lol if that's what you think makes you qualified to be a teacher

And since his wife is the one to suggest it I wouldn't imagine her "teaching experience" actually involves, you know, teaching or any kind of training w/r/t education

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

doing what exactly

No matter what I say it won't be enough.

I think I'm through revealing my personal life to you guys, I don't need to justify my credentials. I'm assuring you we'll follow the law. I trust we have the life experience to raise a child. Quite honestly with the amount of attention we're planning to give to our children I doubt we'll do any worse, and probably better, than a public school.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ElCondemn posted:

There's no reason to hide my ignorance from my child. I would hope they learn to value seeking knowledge too.

what about when they realize that you've screwed them out of any chance of a normal and productive life, do you have any excuses lined up or are you going to be upfront about being a terrible father

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ElCondemn posted:

Have you considered why that might be, or is your mind closed to the possibility that you might actually be wrong

ElCondemn posted:

I don't need to justify my credentials

You dumb poo poo you dropped out at 15 you don't have any credentials to justify and that's our point

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
if you're planning on loving over your kids this hard anyway you might as well take out as many loans and credit cards in their name as you can

If they don't need formal education they don't need good credit either

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ElCondemn posted:

ah yes the ivy-crusted motto of Badfather U.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Have you considered why that might be, or is your mind closed to the possibility that you might actually be wrong

Yeah, we might be wrong, but I accept that risk. Bad parents do a lot worse than spending a lot of time teaching and providing life experience to their kids.

Caros
May 14, 2008

"Teaching experience" could just mean she's a sub in which case fuckin lol if that's what you think makes you qualified to be a teacher

And since his wife is the one to suggest it I wouldn't imagine her "teaching experience" actually involves, you know, teaching or any kind of training w/r/t education

Your sarcasim detector needs recalibrating if you think anyone could seriously agree with Eldumbfucko.

ElCondemn posted:

Yeah, we might be wrong, but I accept that risk. Bad parents do a lot worse than spending a lot of time teaching and providing life experience to their kids.

From the sounds of unteaching (which is the most :ironicat: name ever btw) you aren't planning on doing either of these things.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ElCondemn posted:

You won't be doing that, because you will be working at your job, presuming you don't get fired. Your wife probably won't be doing that either because it's actually very stressful to properly handle home schooling and most people can not handle that.

This is why normal people just send their kids to school, and then "spend a lot of time teaching and providing life experience" during weekends, nights, and summer breaks.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ElCondemn posted:

i thought your plan was to let them roam around unsupervised

"at least i don't beat and starve my kids" is not a valid justification for planned neglect

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
you know the only rational way to explain ElCondem's avowed declaration to be as bad of a parent as he possibly can within the bounds of human decency is if someone pranked him by putting a Dr. Spocks Baby And Child Care dust jacket on the 1932 pamphlet Ending the Depression Through Planned Obsolescence

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Nintendo Kid posted:

You won't be doing that, because you will be working at your job, presuming you don't get fired. Your wife probably won't be doing that either because it's actually very stressful to properly handle home schooling and most people can not handle that.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

my boss and his wife actually homeschool their kids because the son is autistic, and to do it legitimately like they do is a huge pain in the rear end. they structure the ever living gently caress out of their kids education and it's still a challenge to get them to study things that kids don't care for like how to write

Really want to stress fishmech's point. My boss' wife teaches both the kids for about your average school day and then has to take them to weekly assessments to make sure the kids are meeting state standards in addition to tons of extra-curriculars to make sure the kids are socialized. The wife still had to make sure they're doing their work and studying what they need to because surprise, Pokemon, video games, and whatever are designed to be highly entertaining to kids while math and writing are not.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

This is why normal people just send their kids to school, and then "spend a lot of time teaching and providing life experience" during weekends, nights, and summer breaks.

Thanks for the concern but I think we'll be able to make those decisions on our own. If it's not possible to provide the education we're planning to I assure you we won't just drive them out to the forest to unschool them harder.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ElCondemn posted:

Thanks for the concern but I think we'll be able to make those decisions on our own.

You've proven you can't, buddy.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

You've proven you can't, buddy.

I've proven it's stupid to talk about the merits of alternative education methods in a libertarian thread.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ElCondemn posted:

I've proven it's stupid to talk about the merits of alternative education methods in a libertarian thread.

i'm sure someone could make a substantive case

just not the guy who's proud of being a high school dropout and still brags about said fact as if it makes him a rebellious free thinker

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ElCondemn posted:

Thanks for the concern but I think we'll be able to make those decisions on our own. If it's not possible to provide the education we're planning to I assure you we won't just drive them out to the forest to unschool them harder.

lol neither of you will make it that far, by age 3 you'll be praying for the first day of preschool just to get the kid out of the house

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

lol neither of you will make it that far, by age 3 you'll be praying for the first day of preschool just to get the kid out of the house

I raised my little sister, that's the reason I dropped out, to take care of her for the first few years of her life.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ElCondemn posted:

Not educating is not an alternative except in the broadest sense.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ElCondemn posted:

I raised my little sister, that's the reason I dropped out, to take care of her for the first few years of her life.

and look at where it's gotten you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

and look at where it's gotten you

Well off?