Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

dis astranagant posted:

Except the version with an LB-20x and UAC/20 and a whole 3 tons of ammo between them.

That's the best* one!! :haw:

For certain values of best.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Calling the vote now. Final tally was only two votes apart, I think this is the closest run we've ever had!

See if you can guess what won.

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I'm gonna have to go with C, based on the Capellan paint scheme.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
A Bloodhound and a Penetrator, huh. The latter's going to be a bitch to kill if it's for the OpFor.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Or did they?!

Nah, I'm just kidding, you're totally right.

Also, kudos for IDing the Bloodhound. I'm being vague with the filenames and I thought that one might stump some people.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So what Clans haven't brought their forces to the IS yet?

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

Scintilla posted:

A Bloodhound and a Penetrator, huh. The latter's going to be a bitch to kill if it's for the OpFor.

Yeah, reasonably big armored lightbulb. Great fun was had by all.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Except the version with an LB-20x and UAC/20 and a whole 3 tons of ammo between them.

From what I can find, the Solaris version has 6 tons of AC/20 ammo between its LB-20X and UAC/20, which seems sane enough. 15 turns worth of shooting if you don't go all wasteful on the UAC/20.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

PoptartsNinja posted:

Or did they?!

Nah, I'm just kidding, you're totally right.

Also, kudos for IDing the Bloodhound. I'm being vague with the filenames and I thought that one might stump some people.

I thought it was a Bloodhound, but I had to boot up MegaMek to check.

Also I envy the dude who gets to drive the War Dog, particularly if it's the 03 variant. A Heavy Gauss Rifle is a beautiful thing.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Scintilla posted:

Also I envy the dude who gets to drive the War Dog, particularly if it's the 03 variant. A Heavy Gauss Rifle is a beautiful thing.

so you envy PTN, who will ensure that the players learn a heavy gauss is even worse than Arrow IV :v:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Ok, so in addition to everything else I'm doing, I reorganized the `Mech sheets a little bit.

With luck it will help me (and the viewers (but mostly me)) tell at a glance if something's taken critical damage. I also made a little more room for weapons (and the unit picture) and...

Rather than wasting space with a big empty 'player' bar for OpForce or Neutral units, I added a few tabs to show the pilot's "mood" (it's basically an aggression meter to suggest how likely they are to take stupid or risky potshots, how likely they are to fire at anything that fired at them the turn before, whether they're going to be gunning for damaged people, or whether they're just going to take the best shot possible) and what they're currently doing.

Tell me what you think?

Edit: Beware the 'Newbie' mood. It means the pilot's too inexperienced to be predictable.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 11, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Remmon posted:

From what I can find, the Solaris version has 6 tons of AC/20 ammo between its LB-20X and UAC/20, which seems sane enough. 15 turns worth of shooting if you don't go all wasteful on the UAC/20.

That's what I get for going off the wiki write up.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Ok, so in addition to everything else I'm doing, I reorganized the `Mech sheets a little bit.

With luck it will help me (and the viewers (but mostly me)) tell at a glance if something's taken critical damage. I also made a little more room for weapons (and the unit picture) and...

Rather than wasting space with a big empty 'player' bar for OpForce or Neutral units, I added a few tabs to show the pilot's "mood" (it's basically an aggression meter to suggest how likely they are to take stupid or risky potshots, how likely they are to fire at anything that fired at them the turn before, whether they're going to be gunning for damaged people, or whether they're just going to take the best shot possible) and what they're currently doing.

Tell me what you think?

Edit: Beware the 'Newbie' mood. It means the pilot's too inexperienced to be predictable.

This is really neat. I really like the actuator damage tracker. The mood thing is cool and gives us some more info than we had. I suspect for clan opFor it will always read "aggressive" and maybe "annoyed" when they start ignoring Zell, if any of the invading clans actually still obey Zell. Well done. Also congrats on the promotion!

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable
:allears:

It's a shame you have to put all that in more-or-less manually, instead of it being automated. This seems like it'd make a good framework for other people wanting to arrange their own BT campaigns.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
God, I forgot how much of a piece of poo poo the Grim Reaper is.

Why yes, let's put 3/4ths of the ammo in the torso that doesn't have CASE. :downs:

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention, I'll be adjusting all battle values for pilot skill now.

Double Edit: Here's a real example (and what I expect will be everyone's favorite member of the OpForce):

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 11, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A beercan with legs!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Those new sheets own hard.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Gotta love when your head's the most heavily-armored part of the mech.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Calling it now: it will be the last survivor of the OpFor because no one will bother shooting it.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dolash posted:

Oh whoops, thanks for catching that!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Double Edit: Here's a real example (and what I expect will be everyone's favorite member of the OpForce):

Considering I submitted a modified Flea for the last Mech Design contest, I am proud to see the AT-ST Flea have it's time in the sun!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Dolash posted:

If you add the front and rear armor values together, the Center Torso technically has slightly more armor! :pseudo:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
OH gently caress IT'S A FLEA WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

PoptartsNinja posted:

Official numbers:

A) 13
B) 37
C) 39
D) 14

I'll be calling it in a few hours, probably around noon my time, so I can start working on building the map and opforce.

I request a recount!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

Freakazoid_ posted:

I request a recount!

No.

Anyway, I've been putting together a few "geodesic habitation units." Hooray for insomnia!

I think they're coming along nicely, but hey, people who enjoy spriting might have some fun helping me out. So here's the base dome, in case anyone wants to try their hand at one. It's pre-sized to fit my maps.

Now I just have to figure out what they look like destroyed.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jun 11, 2015

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

One of these days we'll get to see the Wizard deploy.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Woop woop, Free World's League bondsmen, coming up! That or an alliance. Things can only look up from here!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
... What?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

OH gently caress IT'S A FLEA WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE

At least it doesn't have jumpjets.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Oh man, this is gonna be great, Fleas are Irrepressible!

Some day Jason and the Chesney Hawks will have their time in the sun, but not this day.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

evilmiera posted:

Woop woop, Free World's League bondsmen, coming up! That or an alliance. Things can only look up from here!

Uhhhhh... You know we're fighting Liao and not the clans in this scenario right?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Uhhhhh... You know we're fighting Liao and not the clans in this scenario right?

Yeah! But I imagine the clans will swoop in at the last minute or in the next scenario to take their pickings. Leave me to my dreams, ok? :(

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

evilmiera posted:

Yeah! But I imagine the clans will swoop in at the last minute or in the next scenario to take their pickings. Leave me to my dreams, ok? :(

Well the Ghost Bears, Sea Foxes, and Snow Ravens are all in the general vicinity en route to Andurien. So I guess it's technically possible if somewhat unlikely.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I got called into work so the update is going to be delayed.

So uh, Building Sprite Contest!

I need more building sprites, not just for this mission but in general. Geodesic domes, skyscrapers, farmhouses, police or military road checkpoints, warehouses, power generators, water stations, water towers, fuel tanks, highly explosive oil refineries, if you can think of it I probably need one. About the only thing I don't need is an HPG.

You don't have to match my style, but I do need a top-down perspective.

The only thing I ask is that the sprites are scaled to fit the map program I use, like this:

So I put together a base sheet to help:

I will use any I find interesting, but the winner will either get to pick a `Mech to be involved in the next scenario, or can name one of the few-unnamed Clan `Mechs, whichever they'd prefer.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 12, 2015

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Welp, guess I better fire up GIMP again.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Every little bit helps, so anyone who even attempts to participate has my sincere gratitude.

If I use anyone's building or scenery in a mission I'll credit you in the intro post for that mission.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm no good at pixel graphics, but I'm willing to drink another fish, or something.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
I do all mine in MS Paint. They don't have to be pretty--I can clean things up or adjust colors to better fit the map if I need to.

Open up MS Paint, zoom in to max in the middle of one of those pink hexes, and draw squares until you get something that vaguely resembles a building. Then decide what it is and any details you feel like adding. Or give me a suggestion for added details, I may be able to steal some bits from something I've already done.

Suggestions for stuff I'll probably need eventally:

- Big ugly soviet-style block apartments
- A gas station
- A military / customs / toll booth checkpoint for a road
- Skyscrapers of all sizes (they don't have to be huge but the perspective on these is a bit trickier)
- Mechbays
- General civilian kludge like suburban houses with yards, junkyards, or power substations, etc.

Edit: Home now, here's the base sheet I meant to upload before:

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 12, 2015

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
Here are my first two offerings:

Roadside Checkpoint:

Missile Silo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
Someone make a hex with the Schreck Field Bistro in it, thanks

• Locked thread