Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

Well, Yamato did say exactly that in this ep.

I think he means in the Takeo / Suna relationship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The first 6 seconds of the ED of this show sound exactly like The Sound of Silence

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I think he means in the Takeo / Suna relationship

Naw actually I just remembered wrong. While I didn't get the details right I still think that was handled in a cool way :)

devtesla fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jun 5, 2015

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Ahhh. This is the best adaptation. Takeo's shirt. Ai and Suna's mum with their travel gear...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Only one of my friends will watch anime with me, and he generally prefers actiony/titty-y shows, but he is loving loving this. So, downside, I'm not watching new episodes until Sunday, but upside, I have someone to enthuse with over how adorable it all is.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Holy poo poo, I hope someone makes .gifs of that entire episode.

Also, Takao's dad sighted finally!

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
JESUS CHRIST TAKEO'S DAD

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Av size:

ETB posted:

JESUS CHRIST TAKEO'S DAD
Yeah holy poo poo now I see why people kept wanting him to appear.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I like that Yamato is taking the lead in advancing the relationship physically, even if it's by little steps. Kind of refreshing after seeing the guy being the one doing that 99% of the time. At this point I can only see Takeo kissing Yamato if he'd just rescued her from drowning and was performing CPR, and even then I think he'd agonize over it for awhile.

It's been a very direct translation from the manga so far, but they're doing it perfectly so no complaints on my end.

Highlights of the episode for me were Yamato's ghosts, Yamato's friends, and Team Boar blasting of agaaaain.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Takeo vs the boar was amazing, the whole episode was amazing. I love this show like Yamato loves Takeo.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Can't wait to see Big Tak's dad.

e:

Perfect, although I remember him saying 'how is your body?'

The bit where Takeo is expressing his feelings is one of the best panels in the manga too.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jun 11, 2015

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
So I don't watch a ton of shoujo, is it me or is Yamato sort of... I don't want to say libidinous, but she seems to have a more well-rounded interest in Takeo than the sort of superficial poo poo you normally see.

Of course, that may just because she's in a less superficial chasing-after-the-handsome-ouji-sama or bad-boy-with-a-heart-of-gold relationship, as well

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

OnimaruXLR posted:

So I don't watch a ton of shoujo, is it me or is Yamato sort of... I don't want to say libidinous, but she seems to have a more well-rounded interest in Takeo than the sort of superficial poo poo you normally see.

Of course, that may just because she's in a less superficial chasing-after-the-handsome-ouji-sama or bad-boy-with-a-heart-of-gold relationship, as well

Yeah, she shows a bit more interest in the physical side of things than your normal shoujo protagonist, it's still well below what actual teenagers think about and really innocent and cute, it also makes her a more believable character.

When she stole that peck on Takeo's cheek while he slept it was the cutest thing. :kimchi:

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Every episode of this show is the best.

Nananko and afro guy :allears:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Starsnostars posted:

Takeo vs the boar was amazing, the whole episode was amazing. I love this show like Yamato loves Takeo.

I was expecting him to suplex the thing (ala Nichijou). Nope. Backwards punt into the ether.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ahaha the whole episode was pretty much everything I hoped it would be.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

OnimaruXLR posted:

Yeah, in shoujo manga/anime in particular I've almost always seen the guy as the assertive one in the relationship. He goes after the first kiss, he escalates it into a sexual relationship, etc. The girl tends to play a more passive/receptive role as their love grows. There's almost always a love triangle involved as well, which complicates matters further, and one person in the triangle is often overly assertive or just super dramatic. Kind of a "grabbing her by the shoulders, pushing her down, and telling her to stop him if she really wants to" kind of thing. The obvious comparison to something in western media would be romance novels.

In any case, the relationship beats in shoujo can be as predictable as the fight escalations/transformations in shonen, so it's nice to see most of the regular conventions avoided in My Love Story. On a related note, I don't think we've seen the last of Takeo being clueless regarding Yamato's interest in him physically, and I fully expect him to miss cues that she wants to hug or kiss him. This cluelessness has been a consistent character trait of his, and showed up during this episode as well with him thinking "Wow, she's really worried" while she's freaking out about sleeping next to him.

I also wonder how they'll handle Takeo meeting Yamato's parents. As much as the show avoids drama and standard shoujo conventions, I just can't imagine they instantly accept him, and I think they can do some fun stuff with Takeo earning their respect by suplexing someone who robs them or something. Or they could go the other way and have Yamato's dad be a straight up muscley giant bodybuilder who approves of Takeo immediately, but whose existence opens up all kinds of uncomfortable psychological interpretations.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

NowonSA posted:

Or they could go the other way and have Yamato's dad be a straight up muscley giant bodybuilder who approves of Takeo immediately, but whose existence opens up all kinds of uncomfortable psychological interpretations.

There's absolutely no way they're gonna do that, not in a million years.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

I was expecting him to suplex the thing (ala Nichijou). Nope. Backwards punt into the ether.

Me too. I was a little disappointed because of that.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

ViggyNash posted:

I would also have accepted a smash cut to Takeo grilling boar meat over an improvised fire.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I would also have accepted a smash cut to Takeo grilling boar meat over an improvised fire.

I'm quite surprised there want a scene if him starting a fire with sticks. Maybe that's more of an American cliche.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Xelkelvos posted:

I'm quite surprised there want a scene if him starting a fire with sticks. Maybe that's more of an American cliche.

Not really, I've seen plenty of that cliche in anime, it's more that starting a fire would be a sort of dumb idea in their situation. First off they did not need a fire for warmth because it was summer and they were both hot from all the hiking. Second they did not need light from the fire since there was a bright moon that night. Third a fire would have attracted lots of pests like moths and such. Fourth a fire means gathering fuel, digging a fire pit without tools, and the not insignificant effort that the rubbing two sticks method requires, all after a long day spent hiking. Fifth the light from the fire would have ruined their star gazing. So yeah, not much point in starting a fire.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

ViggyNash posted:

It was a judo throw.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Xelkelvos posted:

I think Takeo is strong and all, but the survival skills and general good sense required to figure out how to start a fire is more Suna's shtick.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Fangz posted:

I think Takeo is strong and all, but the survival skills and general good sense required to figure out how to start a fire is more Suna's shtick.

I said try. Takeo would try to literally imitate something he see on TV with two sticks over a pile of leaves and rub the sticks together. Suna would do it properly with a hand made bow and everything

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lmfao at "I thought I'd die"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This show is quite funny but I'm still not sold on a 26 episode run...

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've heard complaints that the manga settles into a holding pattern where nothing really happens, but I don't really care as long as its still funny. Also the anal nerd in me wants to point out that it's actually only 24 episodes.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I've heard complaints that the manga settles into a holding pattern where nothing really happens, but I don't really care as long as its still funny. Also the anal nerd in me wants to point out that it's actually only 24 episodes.

I don't care if nothing happens, I'm just concerned that they don't have enough material to last 24 episodes and still be funny. Other pure comedy anime shows I've seen have wayyyy bigger casts and sharper writing and still got kinda stale after 20 or 30 episodes...in worried

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Just bring in Takeo's majestically beautiful dad and all will be well.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sakurazuka posted:

I've only read the first four volumes of the manga, so maybe it will eventually get old to me, but I think I'd be OK with this series going on forever,

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Thoughts:

Yamato's friends are bros. (Sises? Sibs?)

Takeo-Kun is now my favorite Disney princess. I'm almost kind of sad that he killed the mosquitoes, given the earlier bug incident where he gently released it into the sky with a look that said, "Be free, little friend," because of course that is what Takeo would do.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Even Takeo-kun has his limits.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Veryslightlymad posted:

Thoughts:

Yamato's friends are bros. (Sises? Sibs?)

Takeo-Kun is now my favorite Disney princess. I'm almost kind of sad that he killed the mosquitoes, given the earlier bug incident where he gently released it into the sky with a look that said, "Be free, little friend," because of course that is what Takeo would do.

Pesky blood-sucking mosquitoes are quite a different proposition from beautiful sparkly butterflies.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

possibly the best beach episode in anime ever
I loved all the style shifts this episode too

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Do Japanese schools have some freak grading scale where 1 is the worst and 5 the best or did Takeo manage to flunk P.E. but nothing else?

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

a cartoon duck posted:

Do Japanese schools have some freak grading scale where 1 is the worst and 5 the best or did Takeo manage to flunk P.E. but nothing else?

1 to 5, 1 is worst 5 is best. I think 4 is a passing grade? I'm not sure.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

that doesn't sound very freaky. Is it opposite that wherever you're from?

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Yamato being totally hot for Takeo's bod is my favorite thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
To be fair, dat bod.

• Locked thread