Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.
M855 is probably my favorite round to shoot.

:(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
It's fine if you're shooting on Uncle Sam's dime, but otherwise it is a very low quality round.

I think the performance standard is 4 MOA out of an M4. Don't quote me on that, but it is horrendous.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
minute of man atleast

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

not caring here posted:

It's fine if you're shooting on Uncle Sam's dime, but otherwise it is a very low quality round.

I think the performance standard is 4 MOA out of an M4. Don't quote me on that, but it is horrendous.

It's pretty much my go to when I go shooting on my dime lol. It's not super expensive and is 62 gr. I mean, of course it won't shoot as well as match grade stuff, but it seems pretty drat accurate out of my FrankenAR. I do have a Noveske barrel on it so that helps, but I'd estimate I shoot ~1 MOA with it*. vOv

*I haven't shot at a known distance range to test this.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
gently caress it, if it works for you then don't rock the boat.

I went to look it up but I got caught up on the new m855a1 with its 3100 fps and 5.5 MOA standard and gently caress it I'm just gonna get mad.

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Ricochet is a possibility. I've heard rounds come whizzing back over my head at qual ranges.

A piece of copper dug into the dirt right between my legs as I was sitting down on a range day in the FDF. We were sitting pretty close behind to the short distance firing range, the backstop of which was covered in rock. Saw a puff in the ground and dug in to find the shrapnel. Told the nearest NCO who proceeded to book it towards range control. This had been preceded by a bunch of whizzing.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

from reddit

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

shyduck posted:

from reddit

Green-weenie* joke goes here

*Or is it a blue one in the Air Force?

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

It's very much blue, yes

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Ricochet is a possibility. I've heard rounds come whizzing back over my head at qual ranges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QokV7HzJhG4

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

This is the video that made me terrified to shoot at anything heavier than a beer can or a golf ball when I was 13.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Perennial AWOL guy's lame excuse for missing all of last drill was that he didn't feel good. Of course he didn't call in. Then for Sunday he said he slept through his alarm, and by the time he woke up it wasn't worth showing up. He had orders between all of this so he came bopping in Monday morning like nothing happened.

Probably the most infuriating thing about him is that he digs himself into the deepest poo poo filled holes, then acts like nothing happened, and he's still everyone's best friend. If I got in a tiny fraction of the trouble he's in right now I'd be incredibly quiet. I'd gone in later that week to turn my grades in, the colonel had just finished an hour long screaming session with him, and he's walking around all smiles. I'm not really in the know as to what sort if consequences he's getting but it obviously isn't working.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Defending our country from Cyber bullying. So much PTSD. :911:

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 13, 2015

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
i just have to accept that the internet is now what the mall was for kids when i was growing up

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I was going to guess Star Citizen but apparently it's Star Trek Online. Close enough.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Also a shockingly retarded community. No matter how awful you expect a Star Trek Online community to be, it's actually worse.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
From that same thread:

quote:

Given the personal integrity he shows, I'd believe he was in the military. US military veterans who served honorably tend to defend people against bullies. It's a component of the personal integrity and discipline that is needed for that kind of service.

Is this how the military really is? I feel as though I've been mislead.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Hhahahahaha, oh lord.

The majority of people in the military are itching for a little bit more rank so they can be a bunch of bullying motherfuckers, because they were picked on in high school, or they are tiny, afraid people.

The only time I've ever seen integrity in the military is dickheads using that word to try and get people to dime themselves out. As for discipline, I think I knew what that was before, but the army has hosed up the idea of it so much I'm not even sure what it is anymore.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

It's always people like that who talk about so much honor and discipline in the military that you can tell straight away they didn't wear the uniform for a second.

Because holy gently caress.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Thump! posted:

It's always people like that who talk about so much honor and discipline in the military that you can tell straight away they were academy officers.

Because holy gently caress.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Small minority of academy officers in my experience. Vast majority of them are even more cynical and jaded than the average Lt as a result of the 4 years they spent being waterboarded with blue kool-aid

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

If you learn that somebody went to the academy within a week of meeting them, they're almost guaranteed to be a complete tool. If it's a year+, they're almost guaranteed to be chill as gently caress. One of my best AF buddies was an academy grad and he didn't say a word about it until...loving forever, he hated the subject and would try to steer clear of it.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
That's retarded. In a group full of college grads, how do you avoid having a conversation about college for a year?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

You just make vague allusions to "college", and try to avoid talking about how awful and unlike college your experience was.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

That's retarded. In a group full of college grads, how do you avoid having a conversation about college for a year?

How much time do you spend talking about high school? Specifically, YOUR high school. By name. How often do you tap your class ring on the table to show off?

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Godholio posted:

How much time do you spend talking about high school? Specifically, YOUR high school. By name. How often do you tap your class ring on the table to show off?

Yup. Assuming you're in a job more than a year or two removed from graduation, no one really talks about college in idle conversation. I can't remember the last time I made mention of "college" or my university in conversation with people at work. Hence Godholio's point...if they make a point of bringing it up right away, they're a tool. If it happens to come up in conversation several months down the road when you're randomly bullshitting about "crazy college stories" or whatever, that's a different story.

Sax Offender
Sep 9, 2007

College Slice

Godholio posted:

If you learn that somebody went to the academy within a week of meeting them, they're almost guaranteed to be a complete tool. If it's a year+, they're almost guaranteed to be chill as gently caress. One of my best AF buddies was an academy grad and he didn't say a word about it until...loving forever, he hated the subject and would try to steer clear of it.

Among military physicians, asking where someone went to school is a pretty frequent ice breaker, because it leads to the real point of interest: "How long to they own you?" You can see the sad resignation in the eyes of the poor saps who went to both a service academy and the military med school. They can't get out until about 17 years in, and they get paid much less since they aren't eligible for the retention bonuses. Medical school and residency generally shake the academy stink off most docs, but the ones that keep it are exceptional tools. Actually, the biggest ring-knocking douche I've encountered was a dentist, of all things.

iyaayas01 posted:

Yup. Assuming you're in a job more than a year or two removed from graduation, no one really talks about college in idle conversation. I can't remember the last time I made mention of "college" or my university in conversation with people at work. Hence Godholio's point...if they make a point of bringing it up right away, they're a tool. If it happens to come up in conversation several months down the road when you're randomly bullshitting about "crazy college stories" or whatever, that's a different story.

Sports are the exception to this, since your college team of choice is typically your alma mater. But if it goes beyond, "is that where you went to school?" "Yeah." then it's weird.

But nothing is more annoying/sadder than listening to junior enlisted tell stories from high school and basic. At least academy stories are usually about how they broke the rules/got in trouble for funny stuff.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

That's like Mormons talking like they're badasses for drinking a coke.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 14, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Derek Dominoe posted:

Sports are the exception to this, since your college team of choice is typically your alma mater. But if it goes beyond, "is that where you went to school?" "Yeah." then it's weird.

The exception being the service academies, because they've all been terrible at sports for decades. Hell, my buddy was on the AFA football team and didn't follow them. He followed some school from his home state, like a normal human being.

vains
May 26, 2004

Godholio posted:

false equivalency bro. Also, in Baltimore high school is actually a fairly frequent topic. I don't know why high school is talked about since I'm not from here.

iyaayas01 posted:

Talking about college is just something that people do when they first meet. You know...establish some connection with the person, find topics for conversation, 'oh do you know so and so??', etc.

Maybe air force officers are just robots that like talking about pt gear and their boring non-flying job.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Eh. I've almost never talked about anything specific to my college, unless there was a reason to.

There's a difference between "My sophomore year there was an insane chem professor..." and "My sophomore year at the Air Force Academy there was an insane chem professor..."

#1 is normal. #2 is ring-knocking douchebaggery.

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

It took me a year to find out that one of the LTs in my unit went to FIT (college near where I grew up) and only because I mentioned a bar that apparently he would be drug out of by his friends on a weekly basis.

It took me 2 years to find out a co-worker went to FSU at the same time I did. Only then because FSU was playing for a National Championship.

You don't talk about it unless it involves sports, drinking or your life sucks so bad that you pretend your college years were the best of your life and try to relive the experience on a daily basis.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

the only time i ever think about college is when they have people calling me up asking for donations and i tell them to suck my dick from the back, they're not getting any more of my money

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
i don't even talk about college when i'm physically at college

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

I have no idea if this is legit, but if so, omg lol: https://www.facebook.com/brunonumerouno/videos/10152540151601966/

I want to believe.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
http://www.snopes.com/military/lighthouse.asp

It's an old fake and dumb LOL STUPID AMERICANS internet bullshit.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
I just read that article again and it's older than the internet. Nineteen-thirty loving one.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

USMC503 posted:

I have no idea if this is legit, but if so, omg lol: https://www.facebook.com/brunonumerouno/videos/10152540151601966/

I want to believe.

Old as gently caress, fake as gently caress. Along the lines of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR0lWICH3rY

Edit:

Mike-o posted:

http://www.snopes.com/military/lighthouse.asp

It's an old fake and dumb LOL STUPID AMERICANS internet bullshit.

You can't post that and not quote the last paragraph:

snopes posted:

In March 2008, Mike McConnell, the Director of National Intelligence in the U.S., opened his remarks to The Johns Hopkins University's Foreign Affairs Symposium with the lighthouse story, claiming, "Now this is ... true. I was in the signals intelligence business where you listen to the people talk and so on. This is true. It's an actual recording."

Caconym fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Jun 15, 2015

vains
May 26, 2004

Genocide Tendency posted:

It took me a year to find out that one of the LTs in my unit went to FIT (college near where I grew up) and only because I mentioned a bar that apparently he would be drug out of by his friends on a weekly basis.

It took me 2 years to find out a co-worker went to FSU at the same time I did. Only then because FSU was playing for a National Championship.

You don't talk about it unless it involves sports, drinking or your life sucks so bad that you pretend your college years were the best of your life and try to relive the experience on a daily basis.

*beep boop* do not interact with fellow humans. do not make any inquiries into their life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

Beep boop

Don't live in the past. Bragging about your college days is like wearing your letterman jacket in your 40s. Talk about adult things like your 19 year old side piece....