Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Have you got to the part where the giant robots ruin the game yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

Giant robots... ruin.. a game? Those are all words but I don't know how they go together. :colbert:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

As soon as the Panzerkleins get introduced it turns a fun X-Com/Jagged Alliance style game into a horrible slog.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

ImpAtom posted:

Giant robots... ruin.. a game? Those are all words but I don't know how they go together. :colbert:
Imagine a tactical RPG with small forces with a heavy emphasis on stealth, shooting people through doors and blowing holes in walls for a sudden entry.

Now add slow as gently caress diesel power armour suits that can only be killed with many rockets, lasers or a headshot to the pilot, and arm those buckets with autocannons and bazookas. People hated it so much there's a mod completely removing mechas from the game.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Sakurazuka posted:

no because modders took them out

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Sakurazuka posted:

As soon as the Panzerkleins get introduced it turns a fun X-Com/Jagged Alliance style game into a horrible slog.
Just use a mod that either rebalances them or straight up deletes them. Both patches have merits.

Stealth, hah. Just level the buildings IMO. Pretty fantastic game either way!

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

no because modders took them out

Admittedly it's been a long time since I played that game or looked at the mods for it but last I checked the mod that took out Panzerkleins made the game uncompleteable because the last mission would keep crashing every time you tried to play it while using the mod.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Endorph posted:

it's for psp, and has two sequels. it's a pretty long game but it isn't ridiculously so.

The first sequel (Second Chapter) is the only direct continuity one. The other is just stand-alone, I think.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
welcome to hammer and sickle

hammer and sickle is so weird and bad

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Trails in the Sky seems to have consistent theme of older women hitting on Joshua.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

everyone hits on joshua

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I did a single 100% run of the pc run when Trails came out and I was my first run. Steam logs me at 39 hours playtime.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Trails in the Sky seems to have consistent theme of older women hitting on Joshua.
sometimes older men do it, also

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

As long as it's equal opportunity.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I've gotten the classic Phantasy Star itch again after 10 or so years. Never did beat any game except PS4. I'm seriously considering picking up PS1 again and finally finishing the series. Hardest part is going to be forcing myself to go through PS2. :suicide:

Also, anyone else remember the old PS fansites back in the day? There was one where some dude thought there were seperate Japanese and English continunities because of translation differences. Even back when I was 14, I thought that poo poo was stupid. The fansites also seemed strangely obsessed with picking out actors for movie adaptions of Phantasy Star games.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

closeted republican posted:

I've gotten the classic Phantasy Star itch again after 10 or so years. Never did beat any game except PS4. I'm seriously considering picking up PS1 again and finally finishing the series. Hardest part is going to be forcing myself to go through PS2. :suicide:

Also, anyone else remember the old PS fansites back in the day? There was one where some dude thought there were seperate Japanese and English continunities because of translation differences. Even back when I was 14, I thought that poo poo was stupid. The fansites also seemed strangely obsessed with picking out actors for movie adaptions of Phantasy Star games.

I'm pretty sure those fansites were among the first things I read on the internet. There was one with a bunch of fanfiction that tried to bridge an imaginary gap between Noah and Lutz, so that's probably the site you're thinking of.

PSCave is another which somehow still exists, but that one is at least notable for putting up a translation patch for the PS1 remake, should you feel like going through these games again from a somewhat different perspective. They were working on a translation for PS2's remake as well but I haven't checked its progress in a while.

I think I'd rather try to replay either of those games than attempt slogging through PS3 again.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Make sure to play all the text adventures!

(I actually liked them a lot)

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Delsaber posted:

I'm pretty sure those fansites were among the first things I read on the internet. There was one with a bunch of fanfiction that tried to bridge an imaginary gap between Noah and Lutz, so that's probably the site you're thinking of.

PSCave is another which somehow still exists, but that one is at least notable for putting up a translation patch for the PS1 remake, should you feel like going through these games again from a somewhat different perspective. They were working on a translation for PS2's remake as well but I haven't checked its progress in a while.

I think I'd rather try to replay either of those games than attempt slogging through PS3 again.

Oh man, I remember that too. Old fansites are the best for crazy theories.

That's cool as hell that the PS1 remake finally got a translation. I remember salivating over images of it back when it first came out. I need to finish the SMS version first, then I'll go for the remake.

I remember actually liking PS3 back in the early 2000s. :v:

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.
Today I got a PS tv and persona 4 golden. It's crazy how much better p4g looks, especially since I had just been playing through the PS2 version, like even the menu looks better. I was especially surprised when I noticed you could look out the windows in the school.

But what other RPGs should I get for it? I don't really like wizardry or srpg games. And it can be anime as gently caress I don't care.

edit: Oh yeah is there any way to use the SOS function since I don't have a touch screen?

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 12, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tales of Hearts R is pretty fun. Translation/dialogue is very Lunar, if you played those back in the day.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Leper Residue posted:

But what other RPGs should I get for it? I don't really like wizardry or srpg games. And it can be anime as gently caress I don't care.

Atelier Ayesha

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

I bought it recently and it's much more fun than I expected. Definitely not for everyone, though. It's pretty non-linear after the first couple hours, and there's a time limit. The characters and dialogue are stupid, but in a harmless and kind of endearing way, like an after-school special or something. Keithgriff (the "mentor" character) is a huge jerk. The main character having the same happy, chirpy way of speaking whether she's talking about her job, shopping, or exterminating monsters, is both hilarious and terrifying. Everyone is a fabulous dresser. There's a big focus on gathering and crafting, and the fighting is really simple. There are TONS of more or less hidden mechanics when it comes to the crafting, and outfitting your characters, unlocking events and so on. Kind of reminds me of Legend of Mana that way. Reading the in-game help is a must.

It's also really, really, addicting. And the music is FANTASTIC.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Delsaber posted:

The lead translator on the PS2 remake fan translation has some ongoing health issues that have slowed her down, but she posted a status update a couple of weeks ago and apparently work is still progressing on it.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Endorph posted:

Tales of Hearts R is pretty fun. Translation/dialogue is very Lunar, if you played those back in the day.

The only experience I have with the tales series is with Xillia and I stopped playing that cause the little girl character was so annoying I couldn't take it, so I'm iffy about other entries in the series.

Renoistic posted:

I bought it recently and it's much more fun than I expected. Definitely not for everyone, though. It's pretty non-linear after the first couple hours, and there's a time limit. The characters and dialogue are stupid, but in a harmless and kind of endearing way, like an after-school special or something. Keithgriff (the "mentor" character) is a huge jerk. The main character having the same happy, chirpy way of speaking whether she's talking about her job, shopping, or exterminating monsters, is both hilarious and terrifying. Everyone is a fabulous dresser. There's a big focus on gathering and crafting, and the fighting is really simple. There are TONS of more or less hidden mechanics when it comes to the crafting, and outfitting your characters, unlocking events and so on. Kind of reminds me of Legend of Mana that way. Reading the in-game help is a must.

It's also really, really, addicting. And the music is FANTASTIC.

This is a good way to sell a game, especially the fabulous dresser bit. But I think I'll get the ps3 version. What is the time limit like? Time limits sort of kill a game for me, even if it's just the idea of one. Like I can't even bother with lightning returns even though I know it's super generous.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
all ateliers are beautiful

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Leper Residue posted:

This is a good way to sell a game, especially the fabulous dresser bit. But I think I'll get the ps3 version. What is the time limit like? Time limits sort of kill a game for me, even if it's just the idea of one. Like I can't even bother with lightning returns even though I know it's super generous.

The time limit is pretty relaxed, I didn't have any problems with it. It's calendar and event based not actual gameplay-time based. It's basically there to keep you from doing nothing but synthesis or grinding for hours on end without exploring the plot or side events. The only sort of fiddly thing is that it's easy to miss a couple of the treasure contests if you don't pay attention and they're required for two(?) of the possible endings. Also if you don't do a thing by year XX the game gives you a side-eye ending, but this is really obvious so it's not like it'll be a shock

hubris.height posted:

all ateliers are beautiful

this is true

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Jun 12, 2015

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Leper Residue posted:

The only experience I have with the tales series is with Xillia and I stopped playing that cause the little girl character was so annoying I couldn't take it, so I'm iffy about other entries in the series.
if elize annoyed you maybe don't get atelier

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Leper Residue posted:

Can't really help you there since I haven't beaten it yet. It seems to be pretty generous, judging from the timed sidequests, and the game doesn't try to stress you out. Filling out the MCs journal gives you the ability to craft some accessories that reduce traveling and gathering time. Just make sure to equip them in the "special" equipment menu (press right or left in the MCs normal equipment menu). Also, when you are in an area, check your notes to see if there are any side missions for that area. That saves you some time. Don't be afraid to explore - most of the time it's worth it. Sometimes it can be a good idea to return to places you've already been to for hidden events. 99% of the time the event will start automatically, without you having to enter it manually. You regain MP and HP while travelling which is super handy.

And another thing. NPCs will have requests for items that gain you a lot of cash and bonuses. The game does not keep track of them for you. It's not THAT bad since there are few cities and it's usually the same NPCs, but I recommend writing notes to avoid some headaches.

However:

Endorph posted:

Perhaps look at some videos first?

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 12, 2015

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

Endorph posted:

Yeah, it was her freaking voice. It was the first time I had wished for a silent side-protagonist. Nothing is worse than an adult trying to imitate a child.

Is atelier that bad?

edit: The launch trailer for it doesn't have anyone that sounds too bad.

Leper Residue fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jun 12, 2015

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Leper Residue posted:

Yeah, it was her freaking voice. It was the first time I had wished for a silent side-protagonist. Nothing is worse than an adult trying to imitate a child.

Is atelier that bad?

edit: The launch trailer for it doesn't have anyone that sounds too bad.

Personally I thought Elize and Teepo were adorable and I still skip about a third of the voiced dialogue in Ayesha. There's a lot of dialogue, though, so that's part of the reason.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg
I actually played most of Ayesha with voices off because I didn't really like her actress, worth noting the PS3 version is English dub only but the vita version has dual audio

Also I dunno if anyone mentioned it but Atelier/Gust music is really fabulous and Ayesha lets you use a huge back catalog of different music choices if you're into that

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Leper Residue posted:

Today I got a PS tv and persona 4 golden. It's crazy how much better p4g looks, especially since I had just been playing through the PS2 version, like even the menu looks better. I was especially surprised when I noticed you could look out the windows in the school.

edit: Oh yeah is there any way to use the SOS function since I don't have a touch screen?

You can simulate touch screen controls with the controller through the settings. I think if you hit the home button you can set it up there.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Endorph posted:

maybe don't get atelier

lol

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Always get Atelier unless you hate fun and cute things

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Million Ghosts posted:

Always get Atelier unless you hate fun and cute things
since he hated elize and teepo, that's a distinct possibility

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Endorph posted:

since he hated elize and teepo, that's a distinct possibility
Teepo and especially Elize had incredibly shrill, unenjoyable voice acting, though. And I say this as someone deep into the anime swamp who has played lots of atelier games.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

anime isn't a swamp, it's a crystal clear lake on a warm summer's day

ty

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Teepo and especially Elize had incredibly shrill, unenjoyable voice acting, though.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
His name is Teepo and he's my friend.
He can talk and float and sorta bend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you pay attention to tales of xillia 1 & 2 it's actually about elize being a huge rear end in a top hat to everyone