Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
The Trace, an investigative crime puzzle game inspired by The Room that got some notice when it hit iOS a few months back is now out for Android. It seems pretty cool.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Haerc posted:

That's why I thought it was strange, I mean I think I read the rewards thing before I heard about him dying.

You chose for him to die! Google has turned this survey thing into "the button".. all for pennies off of videagames.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

tater_salad posted:

You chose for him to die! Google has turned this survey thing into "the button".. all for pennies off of videagames.

First we collectively wish a perfectly good water park out of existence, and now this!

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
So once I've collected all the dumb ways to die for my mola mola, is there any reason not to go to Hard Mode? Or should I be buying all the upgrades or getting the death percentages as high as possible or something first?

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

mrkillboy posted:

The Trace, an investigative crime puzzle game inspired by The Room that got some notice when it hit iOS a few months back is now out for Android. It seems pretty cool.

I had a few minutes to start this up, seems pretty neat so far. It reminds me more of a Sherlock Holmes game than The Room. I came into a mechanic's shop to an apparent suicide and within a few minutes needed to find: a way to lubricate a lever, a way to cut a chain, what was interesting about a trophy, who opened the safe, and how to open a toolbox.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

FredMSloniker posted:

So once I've collected all the dumb ways to die for my mola mola, is there any reason not to go to Hard Mode? Or should I be buying all the upgrades or getting the death percentages as high as possible or something first?

If you have all of them (including the secret ones), then yeah, go ahead and move on to hard mode. Make sure that you have them all, though (all 9 adventures/all 8 food/all 6 secret deaths), as you can't go back to get the weight increases if you missed them on normal.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Not sure if this was covered already, but those of you with an Amex, check your "deals" page. Right now they have a deal running where you can spend $5 on google play for a $5 statement credit. Free money! Gets you halfway to Sproggiwood!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lowness 72 posted:

Not sure if this was covered already, but those of you with an Amex, check your "deals" page. Right now they have a deal running where you can spend $5 on google play for a $5 statement credit. Free money! Gets you halfway to Sproggiwood!

I don't see a "deals" page. I only see "Amex Offers & Benefits" near the bottom of my home page.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Kyrosiris posted:

If you have all of them (including the secret ones), then yeah, go ahead and move on to hard mode. Make sure that you have them all, though (all 9 adventures/all 8 food/all 6 secret deaths), as you can't go back to get the weight increases if you missed them on normal.

Six secret deaths? Are you including natural causes, or is there something I missed? Sudden Death says 100% complete, 345% weight bonus...

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

hooah posted:

I don't see a "deals" page. I only see "Amex Offers & Benefits" near the bottom of my home page.

That's it. Forgot what it was called.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I scrolled through that before I posted, but didn't see anything about Google.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

FredMSloniker posted:

Six secret deaths? Are you including natural causes, or is there something I missed? Sudden Death says 100% complete, 345% weight bonus...

I am, yeah. 345% is maxed out, so you're fine.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

It just game me a list of cosmetic surgery procedures and asked if I'd consider any before a beach holiday. :( Way to stereotype, google.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I checked out the "New Family Fun" link on the front page of Google Play and apparently there is some kind of free app of the week in this new "family" section. I'm not sure if all of them are going to be apps by PBS Kids though, like the current one is.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

FredMSloniker posted:

When you go to hard mode (and for new players of the game) save the secret deaths for once you've got most of the events up to 90%+ and are having a hard time killing off your fish.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

FadedReality posted:

When you go to hard mode (and for new players of the game) save the secret deaths for once you've got most of the events up to 90%+ and are having a hard time killing off your fish.

Except for the intro/egg one, do that one early for the bonus since you can't use it to kill off a hardy fish anyways

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I checked out the "New Family Fun" link on the front page of Google Play and apparently there is some kind of free app of the week in this new "family" section. I'm not sure if all of them are going to be apps by PBS Kids though, like the current one is.

This seems like a rather strange way to give away apps. It doesn't seem to tell you what the app is until you click the banner, which takes you straight to the install screen, and there doesn't seem to be any way to get to the app page from there, so if you want to know anything about the app, you then have to search for it.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

yeah but FREE APP!! MUST CLICK

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I loaded up You Must Build a Boat and Anime Studio Story for the first time on my Note 4 today and had really bad performance problems on both. Anime Studio Story especially ran sluggishly on the performance setting and chugged really hard when I set it to the graphics-intensive one, and YMBAB hitched up and slowed down every time I made a match. Any thoughts or suggestions? Most games I've tried on it (Hitman Go, Final Fantasy Tactics, Knights of Pen & Paper) seem to run fine. It says it's using about 2gb/3gb ram on background and idle processes, but there isn't much in the list for me to actually close. No power saving or anything else on that I know of.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Randallteal posted:

I loaded up You Must Build a Boat and Anime Studio Story for the first time on my Note 4 today and had really bad performance problems on both. Anime Studio Story especially ran sluggishly on the performance setting and chugged really hard when I set it to the graphics-intensive one, and YMBAB hitched up and slowed down every time I made a match. Any thoughts or suggestions? Most games I've tried on it (Hitman Go, Final Fantasy Tactics, Knights of Pen & Paper) seem to run fine. It says it's using about 2gb/3gb ram on background and idle processes, but there isn't much in the list for me to actually close. No power saving or anything else on that I know of.

Try restarting the phone if you haven't? My phone sometimes gets bad performance issues for no apparent reason, but restarting it always helps.

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning
What was that walking dead game a goon beta tested and said was rather good?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

dpack_1 posted:

What was that walking dead game a goon beta tested and said was rather good?

Walking Dead: Road to Survival

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

Not available in my country and looks like it went to IAP hell given the recent update and reviews following.

Thanks though.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Yeah that was me.. it's changed significantly and I don't think it's even available worldwide yet. I still really enjoy it, but apparently it's much harder to get started these days. They drastically lowered some reward payouts, they made it more expensive to level people up.. Most of the reviews are pure overreaction, but I see where they're coming from. You can freely switch between servers, and I have one server where I've spent $0 and one where I've spent $30, and the $30 is drastically further than the other based on the same playtime. I was trying to prove that it isn't pay to win, and it's technically not.. but it's definitely pay for a ton of extra convenience.

Edit: If you actually read the reviews, it's a lot of 1-stars complaining about a crash from an entirely different recent update that I personally never experienced on 2 devices. The ones complaining about June 13 changes are legitimate, but if you are able to install, I recommend giving it a shot before you write it off. They're complaining about their world being changed, but you wouldn't know the difference.

New Leaf fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jun 14, 2015

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I beat The Trace and it was fairly short. It's a fun game right up until you're hunting around for a clue that is something stupid like you didn't tap around enough in a certain area to trigger every interaction. I'm fine with exploration and a lack of hand holding but a "pixel hunt" on a touch screen can get pretty tiring. That said, still worth the bux and would definitely recommend it if you want a mobile game you can actually complete.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

Randallteal posted:

For YMBAB - have you updated the app? The first release had terrible performance issues. The dev fixed it in the latest release though - I can't believe I was able to play it before now!

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

AG3 posted:

Try restarting the phone if you haven't? My phone sometimes gets bad performance issues for no apparent reason, but restarting it always helps.

Lowness 72 posted:

For YMBAB - have you updated the app? The first release had terrible performance issues. The dev fixed it in the latest release though - I can't believe I was able to play it before now!

Thanks! I restarted my phone and checked for an update and YMBAB is at least running much better. I tried a couple other newer Kairosoft games and had the same problem, so maybe something else is going on there.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

FadedReality posted:

I beat The Trace and it was fairly short. It's a fun game right up until you're hunting around for a clue that is something stupid like you didn't tap around enough in a certain area to trigger every interaction. I'm fine with exploration and a lack of hand holding but a "pixel hunt" on a touch screen can get pretty tiring. That said, still worth the bux and would definitely recommend it if you want a mobile game you can actually complete.

I thought it was too short for the price. I finished it the next day and hardly played it that much.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ymbab owns

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Fallout Shelter; a gooncave management sim has just been released on iOS and will be released on android too, most likely before the release of Fallout 4. Probably within a month.

e: also the first reviews seem to indicate the game is free and the only IAPs are to increase drop rates for rare loots. Hopefully not a timer game.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.
This was mentioned a while back, but everybody's favorite game, Hoplite, got updated a month ago, with a snazzy new challenge mode, that makes you finish three levels with a random(ish) set of upgrades, including ones that you haven't unlocked yet. Not only will challenges force you to play with upgrades that you never use, but it'll let you play with upgrades that you have yet to unlock in the main game (which is the only way that most of us mere mortals will ever get to play with Swift Leap).

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Fallout Shelter; a gooncave management sim has just been released on iOS and will be released on android too, most likely before the release of Fallout 4. Probably within a month.

e: also the first reviews seem to indicate the game is free and the only IAPs are to increase drop rates for rare loots. Hopefully not a timer game.

They said the only thing you can buy is more lunch boxes for rare loot drops but there's no timers and energy and poo poo. They wanted a game they'd enjoy.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Yeah, downloaded on my work iPhone. It's fun in a micromanage kind of way. No pay wall for building or upgrading. Resource drops are timed but that's a mechanic. It's pretty cramped on a 5C so when it comes out for Android I'd recommend it on a lolhugephone or a tablet.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Fallout Shelter isn't really entertaining even by mobile standards. It's very inoffensive though.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
It's Fallout though. I want it yesterday. GET IT TOGETHER, BETH!

My non-Android-using wife downloaded it just to spite me. She's never even played a Fallout game.

WHY ARE YOU MAKING ME GET A DIVORCE, BETHESDA?

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Are there any games like Doom/Wolfenstein RPG? Like first person turn based RPGs, I found my old motorola clam shell phone and it still had some games installed on it and these were it.

I suppose I mean games like Eye of the Beholder too, but I was hoping Doom RPG itself has gotten ported by now. :negative:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

New Leaf posted:

My non-Android-using wife

Sever.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
New Humble Mobile Bundle out. The games this round are:

Type:Rider
Meltdown
iPollute
Pretentious Game
Joe Dever's Lone Wolf Complete (beat the average)
Corto Maltese (beat the average)
Twin Blades (beat the average)
Dark Lands (beat the average)

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Fallout shelter is fun enough. It scratches the tiny tower itch so if that's your thing give it a try.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

It looks like This War of Mine only cartoony. Too bad it sounds like the gameplay is nowhere near as good :(