Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nahh, just civil rights violations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Vahakyla posted:

quote:

The law once dubbed the Walter Scott bill went into effect no longer bearing his name because of opposition by some House Republicans. Rep. Anne Thayer, R-Belton, said Republican women in the House wanted Scott’s name stripped from the bill because he was behind in child-support payments.

Anybody hear something? Because this dog is alert as gently caress all of a sudden!

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Re: incredulity at the "kid playing alone" felony charge. This is not a new thing.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2014/07/31/whats-behind-the-arrests-of-mothers-for-leaving-their-children-unattended

quote:

“When you have this possibility of discretion, we know in this field in child welfare, it has always been biased against poor parents and parents of color in very profound ways,” says Roberts, also a professor of law and sociology at the University of Pennsylvania.

In addition to the cases that made headlines, Roberts says that thousands of other children of minority and lower-income families have been placed in foster care when they were found to be left alone.

girlvirus
Jul 3, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTKTfUHfeKM

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/calif-cop-caught-on-video-joking-about-kicking-amputee-activist-in-the-fcking-nub/

Police raid a marijuana dispensary in Santa Ana, California. Proceed to destroy all the cameras, snack on edibles, play darts, and crack jokes with each other unaware the owner had hidden cameras installed.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

girlvirus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTKTfUHfeKM

http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/calif-cop-caught-on-video-joking-about-kicking-amputee-activist-in-the-fcking-nub/

Police raid a marijuana dispensary in Santa Ana, California. Proceed to destroy all the cameras, snack on edibles, play darts, and crack jokes with each other unaware the owner had hidden cameras installed.

That's less a raid and more like a straight up burglary. Bust in wearing ski masks, tear their store up, joke about kicking a wheelchair bound woman in her amputated leg, then proceed to abuse the drugs they came to "confiscate" while they giggle and play darts.

Whatever though, I'm sure our heroes in blue deserved to unwind and blow off steam, right?

Also :lol: edibles can be powerful as hell if you don't know how to dose them properly. Hope they weren't busy for about a month.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I like how the cop says he wants to see the full video of the raid. Well gee golly maybe they shouldn't have disabled the security cams you idiot

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Booourns posted:

I like how the cop says he wants to see the full video of the raid. Well gee golly maybe they shouldn't have disabled the security cams you idiot

It's loving rich that they're begging the store they flipped over for the "whole" video after they went out of their way to prevent any possibility of such video existing so they could goof off, eat edibles and joke freely about beating up a disabled old person. Too loving bad rear end in a top hat, now you get to be dragged through the mud for your horrible behavior while you sweat about pissing hot for the next month.

Does he think the uncut video will put the "did you punch that one-legged old Bonita" and "I wanted to kick her in her loving nub" comments into proper context?

Rhesus Pieces fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jun 12, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's real funny how the Chief's statement is like "we don't know where he got that edible." That's some poo poo that would get your rear end beat if you said it to a cop.

Today I was listening to NPR and they had a piece on shoot/don't shoot simulators. Some cop propaganda group is taking reporters through the training to inculcate them with the hypervigilant mindset. They had the reporter go through a domestic dispute scenario. All of a sudden the woman in the dispute pulls a pistol out of the sink and just tags her husband three times like BANG BANG BANG. The trainer starts to lecture the (woman) reporter, asking her why she didn't shoot. He literally said "is it some kind of woman solidarity thing, you won't shoot women?" :smugdog:

The reporter fell for it. She's like "I'm a small woman so I may not see women as threatening." No ma'am, you're not a cop so you don't go around thinking "maybe this woman is going to pull a gun out of the sink" because that's stupid.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SedanChair posted:

It's real funny how the Chief's statement is like "we don't know where he got that edible." That's some poo poo that would get your rear end beat if you said it to a cop.

Today I was listening to NPR and they had a piece on shoot/don't shoot simulators. Some cop propaganda group is taking reporters through the training to inculcate them with the hypervigilant mindset. They had the reporter go through a domestic dispute scenario. All of a sudden the woman in the dispute pulls a pistol out of the sink and just tags her husband three times like BANG BANG BANG. The trainer starts to lecture the (woman) reporter, asking her why she didn't shoot. He literally said "is it some kind of woman solidarity thing, you won't shoot women?" :smugdog:

The reporter fell for it. She's like "I'm a small woman so I may not see women as threatening." No ma'am, you're not a cop so you don't go around thinking "maybe this woman is going to pull a gun out of the sink" because that's stupid.

I actually used one of the online shoot/don't shoot simulators, where you press a different key to choose whether or not to shoot based on what the person is holding. I ended up playing for something like 30 minutes straight with only one error before I realized that the game was taking WAY longer than expected and quit.

I think the reason I didn't gently caress up more than once in literally dozens of attempts is because I wasn't approaching the situation thinking "He's gonna turn around and shoot me, I just know he has a gun and wants to kill me."

AmyTheeStallion
Sep 11, 2011
Has anyone heard more regarding Albert Woodfox? A judge had made a decision this week that could get him released, but as far as I know, he's still locked up-- probably still in solitary for most of the week.

It sounded as though Louisiana was trying to appeal the decision again. I'm going to write to him; hopefully he's out by the time my letter gets there.

(If you didn't know, he's one of the Angola 3, held in solitary for over fourty years.)

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
When I hear or read "held in solitary" for more than a day or two, my blood boils.
Decades, however? This poo poo never stops amazing me. I know it happens all the time, I just don't loving understand how it is possible. It isn't like we don't know it makes people crazy.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Not sure if the guy on the video was in that car pulled over there, or if he was one of the local homeless that the cops like to treat like poo poo. Some of them may be annoying when asking for a handout but they're all loving harmless, unlike "orlando's finest."

I have a story about this particular shithole department, too!

Too loving long ago (nearly 20 years now) I was a dumb college student at UCF who signed up to assist with an evening event in orlando. Big deal, all the streets closed off and people going from bar to bar, having a good time.

At 2am sharp, instead of letting the crowd disperse, a line of baton-wielding thugs backed up by a wall of horse-mounted officers marched lockstep through the streets, pushing everyone in a single direction. All side roads were closed off, so everyone was forced into one big herd.

Anyone who didn't move fast enough was beaten then left ziptied in the road as the wall moved on. I'd never seen anything like it - it wasn't a loving riot, this was a city-sanctioned event that had concluded less than 30 seconds ago.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

radical meme posted:

In another six months, nobody will even remember who Tamir Rice is and they can quietly just drop the whole thing.

This is wrong.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

SedanChair posted:

I listened to that too. In the Domestic Disturbance where the person pulled a gun outta nowhere, she also went into the situation yelling at everyone to put their hands up, escalating instead of de-escalating. At the end of the piece they had someone talking about re-doing police training, and if cops are trained to enter every situation like everyone has a gun, wants to kill you, and you have to shoot first... well, that explains a lot, doesn't it?

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Grondoth posted:

I listened to that too. In the Domestic Disturbance where the person pulled a gun outta nowhere, she also went into the situation yelling at everyone to put their hands up, escalating instead of de-escalating. At the end of the piece they had someone talking about re-doing police training, and if cops are trained to enter every situation like everyone has a gun, wants to kill you, and you have to shoot first... well, that explains a lot, doesn't it?

I think that explanation, though valid, takes pressure off of the other glaring issues which also factor in; such as the rampant racism, sense of entitlement to respect leading to abuse of power and over militarization.

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer

Grondoth posted:

That is what is so funny to me in the dispensary raid above. What is the point of going into a business yelling at everyone to GET THE gently caress ON THE GROUND while breaking the door down. I get that's fun to do, but it just seems stupid. It's clear from the article the owners knew this was happening due to coordination between the city attorney and the dispensary attorney. Wonder why the coordination stopped there.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Harik posted:

Not sure if the guy on the video was in that car pulled over there, or if he was one of the local homeless that the cops like to treat like poo poo. Some of them may be annoying when asking for a handout but they're all loving harmless, unlike "orlando's finest."

I have a story about this particular shithole department, too!

Too loving long ago (nearly 20 years now) I was a dumb college student at UCF who signed up to assist with an evening event in orlando. Big deal, all the streets closed off and people going from bar to bar, having a good time.

At 2am sharp, instead of letting the crowd disperse, a line of baton-wielding thugs backed up by a wall of horse-mounted officers marched lockstep through the streets, pushing everyone in a single direction. All side roads were closed off, so everyone was forced into one big herd.

Anyone who didn't move fast enough was beaten then left ziptied in the road as the wall moved on. I'd never seen anything like it - it wasn't a loving riot, this was a city-sanctioned event that had concluded less than 30 seconds ago.

At Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando, the crowds are infamously violent and drunk/drugged up. So tons of OPD officers are brought in to provide extra security.

Speaking as a 2-year scareactor, they're often beyond useless. You hear tons of stories of people being pepper sprayed or Tased, but I never witnessed it myself because literally almost every officer I saw was paying as little attention to the event as possible. Actors have been attacked within their sight, but the cops never notice because they're chatting and drinking Coke in the corner. Last year I walked up to an officer and told him point blank that one of the women in line threatened to assault an elderly janitor who caught her line skipping, and he just nodded and ignored it.

Still better than Universal security; the contractors they hire often let violent people go because they just stop them in an open area without any backup or physical restraining and the guy who just started wildly punching into an actor's spot gets to walk away with nobody chasing them.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

chitoryu12 posted:

At Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Orlando, the crowds are infamously violent and drunk/drugged up. So tons of OPD officers are brought in to provide extra security.

Speaking as a 2-year scareactor, they're often beyond useless. You hear tons of stories of people being pepper sprayed or Tased, but I never witnessed it myself because literally almost every officer I saw was paying as little attention to the event as possible. Actors have been attacked within their sight, but the cops never notice because they're chatting and drinking Coke in the corner. Last year I walked up to an officer and told him point blank that one of the women in line threatened to assault an elderly janitor who caught her line skipping, and he just nodded and ignored it.

Still better than Universal security; the contractors they hire often let violent people go because they just stop them in an open area without any backup or physical restraining and the guy who just started wildly punching into an actor's spot gets to walk away with nobody chasing them.
Injuries to employees are significantly less expensive than injuries to the public. Bad press is worse than a few minimum wage chumps getting beat up. Both the police and private security are likely instructed to do absolutely the bare minimum and are only really there so the park can get an insurance break.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Injuries to employees are significantly less expensive than injuries to the public. Bad press is worse than a few minimum wage chumps getting beat up. Both the police and private security are likely instructed to do absolutely the bare minimum and are only really there so the park can get an insurance break.

Usually municipalities require a minimum number of officers to be hired based on the number of attendees. These officers often have no clue about crowd control and have absolutely no desire to do anything but stand there.

One trick I've seen employed is to separately hire officers above and beyond the "standing around minimum" give them different schedules and assign them someone from the event as their dispatch. Then send them around to shut down all the lawbreakers as needed.

I think its just based on expectations about the shift. If you've been told you're getting paid overtime to stand around then get asked to actually work, well you probably will half-rear end it. But if you're being paid overtime to walk around and shutdown illegal street vendors or force trucks out of no parking zones you'll probably be more likely to actually do it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Trabisnikof posted:

I think its just based on expectations about the shift. If you've been told you're getting paid overtime to stand around then get asked to actually work, well you probably will half-rear end it. But if you're being paid overtime to walk around and shutdown illegal street vendors or force trucks out of no parking zones you'll probably be more likely to actually do it.
I think you're right.

In my experience cops will actually do poo poo if the people who hired them for the off-duty work ask them to. I regularly work a major public event that hires hundreds of police for about two weeks at a time and those guys are great. They do pretty much whatever you ask them to and are proactive in making sure poo poo doesn't get out of hand. It's a big, professional operation and they have an established hierarchy, a dispatch center, etc.

When I work with local cops who are working a day at a concert or whatever though they usually just chill on the loading dock bullshitting and smoking with everyone else. It's pretty well understood that if they "cause trouble" that they aren't going to get asked back so they just take the paycheck and stand around unless poo poo goes totally sideways.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Rent-A-Cop posted:

We still get plenty of "injuries to the public". There's multiple tasings, pepper sprays, and college kids thrown to the ground per year, plus cops literally sprinting through crowds to chase after people. It's just that they actually bother to pursue a fraction of the crime and violence and are paying so little attention that they barely notice the rest even when it happens almost literally under their nose.

The only times my cast in 2012 was able to get police attention successfully were:

1. Someone punching an actor (who's a firefighter outside of Universal) in the nose and angering him enough to actually fight back, with the beating lasting long enough for security and police to pull them apart.

2. A large group of Central or South American tourist youths who began roughhousing and bodyslamming an actor until he was nearly thrown to the ground. It took most of our cast boxing in the perpetrators and one of them running around the zone throwing his arms up in the "Need help immediately" signal to keep them stationary enough to find police and staff and get their attention. Even then, several of them ran off without the officers pursuing them and they only got found after the cops threatened to arrest everyone remaining unless they brought their friends back to be permabanned from the park.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I think you're right.

In my experience cops will actually do poo poo if the people who hired them for the off-duty work ask them to. I regularly work a major public event that hires hundreds of police for about two weeks at a time and those guys are great. They do pretty much whatever you ask them to and are proactive in making sure poo poo doesn't get out of hand. It's a big, professional operation and they have an established hierarchy, a dispatch center, etc.

When I work with local cops who are working a day at a concert or whatever though they usually just chill on the loading dock bullshitting and smoking with everyone else. It's pretty well understood that if they "cause trouble" that they aren't going to get asked back so they just take the paycheck and stand around unless poo poo goes totally sideways.

Funny, I think we both work events of about the same size/scope. Things are now the way you describe, but before we were as tightly integrated into the PD command, things were a lot more loosey-goosey, especially with officers refusing to help with crowd control situations and only breaking up fights or busting people for PI. It took name dropping the correct Lieutenant to get them to actually do anything else.

There's a fine line cops walk at big events, be too chill and you get fired for a selfie or for dancing. Be too aggressive and you won't get asked back because you busted an artist for smoking pot.

chitoryu12 posted:

We still get plenty of "injuries to the public". There's multiple tasings, pepper sprays, and college kids thrown to the ground per year, plus cops literally sprinting through crowds to chase after people. It's just that they actually bother to pursue a fraction of the crime and violence and are paying so little attention that they barely notice the rest even when it happens almost literally under their nose.

The only times my cast in 2012 was able to get police attention successfully were:

1. Someone punching an actor (who's a firefighter outside of Universal) in the nose and angering him enough to actually fight back, with the beating lasting long enough for security and police to pull them apart.

2. A large group of Central or South American tourist youths who began roughhousing and bodyslamming an actor until he was nearly thrown to the ground. It took most of our cast boxing in the perpetrators and one of them running around the zone throwing his arms up in the "Need help immediately" signal to keep them stationary enough to find police and staff and get their attention. Even then, several of them ran off without the officers pursuing them and they only got found after the cops threatened to arrest everyone remaining unless they brought their friends back to be permabanned from the park.

That reminds me of some of the stories I've heard from the years before we hired a consultant to help us speak ICS/police language. Seriously, that made a huge difference because it started to click that "oh, if this person radios in a request, its important" once we could tell them the police names for things.

I think that's a big adjustment too between event people and cops because, most events rely on fairly autonomous staff. If you're a sound engineer and something breaks, you fix it. But cops are used to very hierarchical structures, someone needs to tell their boss to tell them to fix it. So in the chaos of the moment, if you don't have strong systems in place then you'll end up begging a random cop on the street which doesn't work well.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
Twitter is blowing up, apparently there's a shoot-out at Dallas PD. Suspect in armored van with gun ports, cameras, and claiming it's rigged with explosives.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

more friedman units posted:

Suspect in armored van with gun ports, cameras, and claiming it's rigged with explosives.
Plot twist! Its a police van.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.periscope.tv/w/aEvdajI5NTg2ODh8MjI0NjI5MjaMgHuXwu4YyjfIOKohN_WH9zn_8WvONFfj18xcrK64DA==

Conference regarding the shooting starting soon.

edit: suspect told police his name is James Boulware, a man with the same name was arrested two years ago for threatening to go on a shooting spree: http://www.kten.com/story/22135694/paris-man-arrested-after-family-reports-threats

bango skank fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Jun 13, 2015

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Grondoth posted:

One thing to remember is that domestic disturbances are the most dangerous thing a cop can do, maybe even more so than driving. I would say the cops need better training, but really, when people are that hot headed better training probably doesn't matter. I give the cops a lot of poo poo, but I'd never want to be near a domestic disturbance call.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
This American Life did a profile of the Las Vegas PD's reforms following major problems. They did a lot of bias training and de-escalation training where the goal is not to win the fight but stop a fight from ever happening. The bias training was focused on ways to get people to address bias without saying "you are racist" which is a great way to shut your audience down and put them on the defensive.

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

FRINGE posted:

Plot twist! Its a police van.

Nope, according to the Graun feed: http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/live/2015/jun/13/dallas-police-in-armoured-van-chase-after-shootings-rolling-coverage

quote:

It is believed that the van he is driving could be a vehicle sold on eBay earlier this month as a “Zombie Apocalypse Assault Vehicle and Troop Transport”.

“It’s full armor plated and has bullet proof windows just in case you run into other zombie hunting hordes who might try to take this bad boy from you,” the sale listing said.

quote:

“The suspect told our negotiators that we took his child and accused him of being a terrorist and that he is going to blow us up. Then [he] cut off negotiations,” Dallas police chief David Brown said at a press conference in the early morning.

"Call me a terrorist? I'll show them!" :shepface:

This is going to justify the Dallas PD buying all the A10 Warthogs retired by the F35.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
So how long before we here about how he was a good kid liked Big Bang Theory and none of his friends or relatives could ever see him doing this.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Murderion posted:

This is going to justify the Dallas PD buying all the A10 Warthogs retired by the F35.

Fortunately it'll be like 2045 before that's an issue.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
I blame the survivalist/zombie culture.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

Ralepozozaxe posted:

I blame the survivalist/zombie culture.

I read something saying he was on a terrorist watchlist so probably. That could be completely wrong. I don't know.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Dexo posted:

So how long before we here about how he was a good kid liked Big Bang Theory and none of his friends or relatives could ever see him doing this.

Van Shooter Rescued Dogs, Canvassed for Obama

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Pohl posted:

I read something saying he was on a terrorist watchlist so probably. That could be completely wrong. I don't know.

quote:

The man who launched an early morning attack on the Dallas Police headquarters has a history with law authorities, causing a lockdown in 2013 after threatening to kill his family and shoot up schools and churches near Paris, Texas.

Later, during a “face time” call over the Internet, he threatened to kill all of the adult members of his family, as well as making a vague threat about schools or churches along the way.

In the police report, Boulware’s mother said that her son “frequently talks to himself and appears delusional.”

Another probable mental health issue being made into a profitable news/cops drama.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

FRINGE posted:

Another probable mental health issue being made into a profitable news/cops drama.

As someone with mental health issues I have to wonder, how loving crazy are you?
Just goddamn.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Pohl posted:

As someone with mental health issues I have to wonder, how loving crazy are you?
Just goddamn.
Its crazy to be surprised when someone with mental health issues, who has displayed a pattern of behavior that includes delusional behavior and violent outbursts, has a violent outburst.

The only reason this is news at all is the drama of it, not the actual occurrence. He had a "zombie hunting van" and guns. Both sides of the war are already firing up the gun/anti-gun machines and not a lot of care is left for the mental health crisis in America.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

FRINGE posted:

Its crazy to be surprised when someone with mental health issues, who has displayed a pattern of behavior that includes delusional behavior and violent outbursts, has a violent outburst.

Most people with mental health issues just hide inside their houses. Seriously, most people with mental health issues just hide.
Way to reinforce the stereotype that mentally ill people are violent.

He was crazy as gently caress, which is why I asked, How loving crazy are you?

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Pohl posted:

Most people with mental health issues just hide inside their houses. Seriously, most people with mental health issues just hide.
Way to reinforce the stereotype that mentally ill people are violent.
Are you having a rough day?

quote:

... who has displayed a pattern of behavior that includes delusional behavior and violent outbursts ...

Fake-aspergers, "I love Adderall", and "anxious around strangers" are goony favorite maladies, but are not "mental health issues" in the way that lead people to require supervised care.

Delusional with a propensity towards violent outbursts is precisely the kind of thing that does require supervised care.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

FRINGE posted:

Fake-aspergers, "I love Adderall", and "anxious around strangers" are goony favorite maladies, but are not "mental health issues" in the way that lead people to require supervised care.

I'm not going into my personal history but that is some weak poo poo, man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

FRINGE posted:

The only reason this is news at all is the drama of it, not the actual occurrence. He had a "zombie hunting van" and guns. Both sides of the war are already firing up the gun/anti-gun machines and not a lot of care is left for the mental health crisis in America.

FRINGE posted:

Delusional with a propensity towards violent outbursts is precisely the kind of thing that does require supervised care.

where are you even going with this cause it sure looks like bitching for the sake of bitching. What are you actually complaining about

• Locked thread