Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I really need to just go and buy this poster because every time someone posts it I go "drat I want to buy this poster"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

kiimo posted:

An entire movie of character actors from TV shows ha.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097179/

Also I like those Ant-Man posters. To me they say, There are other heroes in the world besides the Avengers.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Those Antman posters are the movie equivalent of having Wolverine appear on comicbook covers to boost sales.

In honour of Christopher Lee here is the poster to my fave movie with him in it

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097179/

Also I like those Ant-Man posters. To me they say, There are other heroes in the world besides the Avengers.

Hank Pym is an avenger, why would they make a movie about someone they can't put in the team-up movie? Everyone else belongs on TV or is owned by Sony.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

uPen posted:

Hank Pym is an avenger, why would they make a movie about someone they can't put in the team-up movie? Everyone else belongs on TV or is owned by Sony.

Hank Pym is a 60 year old man in this movie, and also not the titular character. And there's nothing to say Ant Man couldn't show up in a team up movie later, but you seem to be intentionally misunderstanding what the dude you quoted was saying.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The Russian Ant-Man poster is much better. Apparently it's a Jim Steranko homage:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yenobek Mypaben is the name of the main character of my new JRPG.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Corek posted:

The Russian Ant-Man poster is much better. Apparently it's a Jim Steranko homage:

That's cool and conveys Ant-man shrinking perfectly.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Corek posted:

That's Steranko as gently caress, and really awesome.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Corek posted:

This makes me want to see that movie so much more.

Cracked keeps talking about how Marvel's business model is setting itself up to crash hard, with one flop being all it takes, and I feel like Ant-Man will be the big way to prove or disprove that theory. Because this has the strongest chance of failure you could get for this model.

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:

Cleretic posted:

Cracked keeps talking about how Marvel's business model is setting itself up to crash hard, with one flop being all it takes, and I feel like Ant-Man will be the big way to prove or disprove that theory. Because this has the strongest chance of failure you could get for this model.

Cracked has had an article like that before every Marvel movie.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Cleretic posted:

Before Jurassic World there was a 10 minute (I'm not exaggerating) trailer for Ant-Man that had an intro by Paul Rudd and then 3 scenes from the movie.

It was loving dog poo poo.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Yup, one movie not doing well is all it's going to take for Disney to go under. Like how they had to declare bankruptcy twice before, right after John Carter and again after Lone Ranger. RIP Disney.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Antman could be the worst movie of the year and it would at least make it's budget back.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

All Ant-Man failing is going to do--and it really does smell like a creative/critical failure at this point--is make Marvel/Disney even more staunchly conservative in their creative decisions. It's not going to lead to the Goddard take on Black Widow some people are apparently convinced could happen.

It'll also be the end of the Marvel Studios hot streak, which at this point is welcome. because it doesn't preclude good new movies from being made and will hopefully shut up all the people who can't stand popular things which aren't the exact specific things that they like.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

TheJoker138 posted:

Yup, one movie not doing well is all it's going to take for Disney to go under. Like how they had to declare bankruptcy twice before, right after John Carter and again after Lone Ranger. RIP Disney.

I think he meant more that the "MAKE A MARVEL MOVIE ABOUT EVERYTHING" would slow down.

Which, frankly, wouldn't hurt my feelings.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Meatwave posted:

I know, this one might make them shut up, either by having their point proven or being thoroughly proven wrong.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I think he meant more that the "MAKE A MARVEL MOVIE ABOUT EVERYTHING" would slow down.

And yeah, this is more what we're looking at. Not a crash of the entire company, just 'okay, we need to slow this train the gently caress DOWN'.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Sure that will happen. But it will happen in a way where instead of getting them trying crazy poo poo like Guardians and Ant-Man, we will just get Iron Man 4-6 all in one summer or something instead.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

TheJoker138 posted:

Sure that will happen. But it will happen in a way where instead of getting them trying crazy poo poo like Guardians and Ant-Man, we will just get Iron Man 4-6 all in one summer or something instead.

Bingo. If you thought the Marvel movies weren't same-y enough, you're going to get your wish. Disney responds to failing to expand outside of their creative comfort zone very poorly. Hell they barely respond to success well.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Hah. I know nothing about this movie, but I love the poster.

Edit: I thought the poster might be taken figuratively as a bunch of adults who can't handle kids, but I guess it's an actual movie about a zombie outbreak in a school. Trailer wasn't that funny but the cast seems promising...

davidspackage fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jun 12, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Hah. I know nothing about this movie, but I love the poster.

This one is way better:

If you're--ahem--of a certain age seeing that will instantly trigger nostalgia.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Mister Chief posted:

Antman could be the worst movie of the year and it would at least make it's budget back.

Yeah it'll be fine, everyone I know who isn't particularly interested in comics/movies/internet stuff/talking about comic book movies on the Internet has just been saying stuff like , "I'll watch any movie Marvel puts out!" because their brand is STRONG

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Marvel spent most of the last decade putting out movies based on characters no one in the public ever gave much of a gently caress about like Thor, Iron Man, and Captain America along with complete left-field nobodies like the Guardians of the Galaxy and making them work to various degrees. "Sure the Ant-Man movie looks like poo poo but then again it wasn't long ago that we all thought Thor would never work so what the gently caress I'll give it a shot. My kids will love it if nothing else."

It's like Disney animation in the 90s. Sure Pochaontas and Hunchback were lame as gently caress and the hot streak broke, but the brand built from the 1-2-3-4 punch of The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, and The Lion King built a foundation that stands strong to this very day.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I really need to just go and buy this poster because every time someone posts it I go "drat I want to buy this poster"

Same.

Corek posted:

That's really good.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

I like the poster, but it really makes me want to pronounce the movie title as Adv-antage-ous. Which is really hard and wrong :(

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Corek posted:

Wow - design.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Meatwave posted:

It's like TV By The Numbers, even if they're dead wrong more often than not they tell people what they want to hear so the clicks just keep on coming.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse

Corek posted:

phwoar!

Straigh up Steranko.

Love it

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I do not get the appeal of those loving things. Are they actually funny in whatever the original film was? They just look like lazy poo poo character design to me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I could see kids liking them since they are intentionally very goofy. I don't know if they can actually carry a movie all by themselves though.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

muscles like this? posted:

I could see kids liking them since they are intentionally very goofy. I don't know if they can actually carry a movie all by themselves though.

Especially when all of their dialogue is monosyllabic. At least Madagascar Penguins could talk and even they can't carry their own for long.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm assuming doing a Minions movie is super cheap though since they're all just voiced by one guy who (IIRC) isn't a regular actor.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Weird poo poo that speaks gibberish / limited english and screams a lot and gets into amusing antics is a solid formula.

People (especially kids) loving ADORE

- The Minions
- Raving Rabbids
- Gremlins
- Gizmo
- Donald Duck
- Fizgig
- Salacious Crumb
- R2 D2
- Groot
- the Toy Story Aliens
- Wall-E
etc.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Mr. Bean.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I like at least half those things on that list so that checks out.

I'm sick of seeing those loving yellow twinkie looking things everywhere though, I wish they'd go away.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The average person will think that these heroes are also in Ant Man.

Of course I'm not sure the average person will ever see these posters, so...

I too think everyone who isn't me is literally retarded.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

poo poo yeah, Mr. Bean.

Also, literally every movie with a cute monkey, the gopher from Caddyshack, Slimer, I mean, drat, the list could go on forever.

Are the Minions a gimmick? Yes. But that's like saying "oh, drama is a gimmick." Enjoying slapstick silly creatures and general goofball antics is just part of being a human. We eat that poo poo up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

King Vidiot posted:

I like at least half those things on that list so that checks out.

I'm sick of seeing those loving yellow twinkie looking things everywhere though, I wish they'd go away.

I'm with you as far as them becoming the JPEG version of lovely forwards from your lovely aunt. That meme needs to die.

But they're completely likable and inoffensive as they're presented in the movies, for the reasons listed above.