Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

cenotaph posted:

Sekigahara

Truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

cenotaph posted:

Sekigahara

This. Find a copy.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Play Agricola and imagine it as the prequel to Seven Samurai.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Just played and nearly finished my first game of Terra Mystica with four others. The best part? EVERYONE ELSE was new to it as well. The first two rounds were full of questions and pausing to check the rule book on gaining power from structures, what the symbols on the player cards meant, and what was and was not an action. Once we started getting it, though, the next few rounds went fairly smoothly even though we obviously had more options at that point. Even though we had to leave due to the shop closing on round 5 out of 6, everyone who played said they really enjoyed it, and it didn't feel remotely like three hours. I played the Witches and loved flinging settlements around the map later on, but the guy playing the Cultists was just destroying everyone else on the cult track since he started building in the same area as two others, so he was going up the tracks like three times a turn. It was actually a pretty close game among three of us, but I didn't even bother counting my VPs because we were past closing and I had fun regardless.

Funny timing. A new board game cafe just opened up near me, and I was like "oh cool" and so some of us went there today. I'd been wanting to try Terra Mystica for a while now, and I finally got to. Once it clicked, it went really smoothly, and I can't wait to actually buy (or convince one of my friends) to buy the game and play it a bunch more. Most importantly, my wife enjoyed it, and she's the picky one.

On that note, are there any other games like Terra Mystica I've missed? Economic non-aggressive strategy, and a theme she would like (also known as not sci-fi or modern)? Terra Mystica is the first game she's tried in a while I haven't had to listen to a list of complaints against and she wasn't actively bored by, so I need to look into this path more.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Trasson posted:

On that note, are there any other games like Terra Mystica I've missed? Economic non-aggressive strategy, and a theme she would like (also known as not sci-fi or modern)? Terra Mystica is the first game she's tried in a while I haven't had to listen to a list of complaints against and she wasn't actively bored by, so I need to look into this path more.

Maybe something like Bruges? That category sounds like it covers a ton of Euros (and also 18XX), though they usually don't have Terra Mystica's level of pre-game variability.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 12, 2015

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Most 18xx are rather aggressive, I think.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

cenotaph posted:

Most 18xx are rather aggressive, I think.

I'm not quite sure how I came up with that definition of aggressive that didn't include 18XX, though to be fair all I've actually played is 1853 once and aggression was pretty low.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

Played Dark Moon tonight. The game is baller.

The game is about trying to survive on a space station with a thing like monster running around. The art is great, sort of a Fallout, retrofuturism vibe. As for the game's mechanics, the goal is to solve a number of events before the station collapses, unless you're the infected, the game's traitor. Then your goal is to do enough damage to any of three systems on the station. Each player starts with four dice, two red and two black. Both sets have four negative and two positive numbers, but the red dice have larger negatives and lower positives, and the black have the reverse. On your turn you draw back up to your limit of dice, starting at four. You can then try to fix the station, try to contribute to the event, give someone else your turn, or initiate a vote to quarantine another player. If you choose one of the first two options, you secretly roll up to three of your dice. If you roll a positive (two to contribute to an event), you succeed. Either way, you have to discard one of your dice into the discard pool. If you give someone your action, they actually get to perform two actions - so it needs to be someone you trust. If you initiate a vote, each player takes the dice they have remaining and chooses red (vote to quarantine) or black (vote against). If you don't have the color you want to vote, you have to abstain. Quarantined players lose two of their dice, and if they're actually infected, they lose the ability to perform their secret reveal power.

Once you've completed that action, you draw two tasks from a separate deck and choose one to have the group face. Usually, it will set a challenge number, and then everyone will choose whether or not they'll contribute. The people contributing then secretly roll as many of their dice as they want, and then they add at least one of those dice. If a player only rolls negatives, she has to contribute a negative. If the combined total of the dice is greater than the challenge, you get one step closer to solving the event. If you fail, usually some part of the station will be damaged. At the end of this phase, all of the dice used get discarded. There are other tasks that involve making people give you their dice or quarantining players. Finally, some tasks also have 'suspicious activity,' which causes a paranoia track to rise. When it hits its maximum, you've got to hold a vote to quarantine someone. There are some other rules about getting fatigued and revealing if you're the infected, but that's the gist of the game.

This game is very good. The dice provide an incredible hiding spot for the traitor - there's a 2/3's chance each die will be negative, so he can absolutely blame bad rolls for contributing crap at crucial moments. And that 2/3's negative leads to a lot of false signs and questioning - I found myself constantly wondering if that person actually rolled that poorly. In one game, I was the mechanic, and I received a bonus for fixing the center of the station. It had taken a lot of damage, so someone gave their turn to me so that I could fix it up twice. On my first roll, I got all negatives. Same with my second roll. People complained, but I got the team to give me another chance to do two actions. Again, all negatives both times. It was such a wonderfully funny disaster. The other smart mechanic is the paranoia track. The game occasionally forcing a player to make an accusation gets more information, real or not, out into the open. Add to that the timing of the voting, where dissenting voices might be missing the color of die they need to oppose your quarantine choice, and there's some real clever stuff happening.

To summarize, this game shines in generating paranoia. You're constantly questioning everyone's motives - and there's often no clear, solvable answer. I'm looking forward to trying this again on Saturday.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011
Yeah, I don't know if aggressive was the right word. It goes something like this. There are lots of games where you make plans. In some games, a potential or necessary path to victory is to ruin other people's plans, hard. So like in Terra Mystica, she could just have a plan going and the worst that could happen is I didn't build when she wanted to get her power when she wanted, or I took a Priest slot, or I grabbed the bonus card she wanted, etc.

Contrast a game even as mild as Dungeon Lords, where you can have a turn like "alright, I'm going to build more tunnels, mine them for gold, and then use that gold to buy some traps/pay taxes" and then everyone goes and tunnels and you're screwed enjoy your -6 points. It's that sort of someone or something ruining a carefully made plan completely. She's not always opposed to that, but it's more that the sort of games we have like that are lighter ones like Ticket to Ride. Having more stuff like Terra Mystica which was complex and weighty (not in the Rutibex sense) while not throwing up chances for everything to get completely wrecked. There's certainly more than enough directly antagonistic games in our collection.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I don't want to hold myself up as some sort of expert since I'm just beginning my magical 18xx journey but plenty, if not most, of the games allow you to do some serious damage to someone's position. As in "hey I bet you like your company but now it's a flaming pile of trash and your executives are jumping out windows and oh you might be bankrupt and the game might be over now." They also often take five hours or more. You're probably looking for economic efficiency euros.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
http://beta.playdominion.com/

:getin:

edit: It's mostly the same in terms of interface but I think this is a precursor to Dominion on mobile which would be nice.

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 12, 2015

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Kai Tave posted:

Actually the whole Samurai Spirit thing raises a question...what are the good samurai-themed boardgames out there, if any?

I enjoy the samurai re-theme of Bang. Pretty light, but that's what you get with Bang.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Bubble-T posted:

http://beta.playdominion.com/

:getin:

edit: It's mostly the same in terms of interface but I think this is a precursor to Dominion on mobile which would be nice.

They "improved" it by getting rid of the lobby system in favor of a matchmaking system, which means I have no clue if it's even possible to play with my friends, which is literally the only way I played it with other people.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bubble-T posted:

https://code.google.com/p/androminion/ :colbert:

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Robust Laser posted:

They "improved" it by getting rid of the lobby system in favor of a matchmaking system, which means I have no clue if it's even possible to play with my friends, which is literally the only way I played it with other people.

That will be in there according to the devs.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Anyone played Dungeon of Mandom/Welcome to the Dungeon? Seems like the latest hyped Japanese microgame. I'm interested in that and Flip City/Design Town (to be clear that's a Taiwanese microgame iirc). Anyways su&sd has a review hyping it here: http://www.shutupandsitdown.com/videos/v/review-welcome-dungeon/

I play Love Letter from time to time but only out of.. utility I guess, to warm people up to other games, but I quite like Skull. So if this game has elements of both, I'm interested.

Replying to a post from last week, but this thread alerted me to Welcome to the Dungeon and I thought it looked like my kind of game. My copy arrived yesterday and I played a few two-player games with the warrior and one with the barbarian. I definitely enjoyed it. The first few trips into the dungeon were dull, but they got more interesting as we figured out what we were doing. The last few developed into poker-style showdowns, baiting each other to make the wrong move, with the adventurer succeeding or failing by a hair. Some of the positive comments that I've read about WttD say that it takes some time to "click" with all players before it becomes fun. I can completely understand what they mean. Once all players get a better grasp on how to bluff or deduce the risk put into the dungeon deck, I think most people would have a good time with it.

Comparing WttD to other small games I enjoy, I think this could beat Love Letter. There's more to the deduction for me and considerably more tension. I don't think it's ever going to top my favorite small box, Coup. Successfully bluffing or calling didn't hit those same highs.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Medium Style posted:

~Welcome to the Dungeon~

I just got my copy yesterday, and am playing it with a group of four tomorrow. Any teaching tips? I was thinking of running through it with the Warrior for the first few rounds, before running rounds with the other heroes, and maybe playing with all cards face up for the very first round.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!

Bubble-T posted:

That will be in there according to the devs.

Okay, cool. The page used the word 'replaces' so I was worried.

I suppose I'll keep using the janky web client until then. I will miss the ability to just invite anybody to play Dominion without them having to download anything, but also one of the people that would often like to join just can't get the online client to work at all so... yeah.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Foehammer posted:

I just got my copy yesterday, and am playing it with a group of four tomorrow. Any teaching tips? I was thinking of running through it with the Warrior for the first few rounds, before running rounds with the other heroes, and maybe playing with all cards face up for the very first round.

Uh... it's really simple. I don't think you need to play an open face round, that will only make the game confusing, because if the cards are face up, there's no game there whatsoever.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

burger time posted:

Uh... it's really simple. I don't think you need to play an open face round, that will only make the game confusing, because if the cards are face up, there's no game there whatsoever.

Just wondering if it'd help to make the mechanics click as far as what you should be looking out for, and what you should assume the other players are doing.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Foehammer posted:

Just wondering if it'd help to make the mechanics click as far as what you should be looking out for, and what you should assume the other players are doing.

Emphasize that everyone is the same class, but only one person is actually going in. Note that passing means you're out for the round. Also note taking out equipment can work both ways.

I've found that the game is much more interesting with the designer variant where everyone's first card is always in the dungeon pile.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.

Medium Style posted:

~Welcome to the Dungeon~

Is it wrong that I read this in Axl Rose's voice?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Zveroboy posted:

Is it wrong that I read this in Axl Rose's voice?

Anytime someone has said the game's title, I've responded with "we've got fun and games."

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

Foehammer posted:

The rules and mechanics are actually really simple (though may not explained clearly enough for some people), but I think the only way of really "getting" the strategy might be to just play a few and understand that those first few trips into the dungeon might be completely uninteresting. Definitely start with the warrior, like the manual suggests. His equipment set should be the easiest to understand.

If it were a two-player game, I would explain that you don't win by making the dungeon too hard or too easy. You win by making the dungeon hard when it appears easy to other players, baiting them into trying and failing, or by making the dungeon easy while it appears hard, baiting them into passing and then succeeding in the dungeon yourself. It's probably quite different with four.

Also something really basic to note: the warrior can defeat the entire deck of monsters unless you eliminate at least one piece of equipment.

Medium Style fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 12, 2015

McNerd
Aug 28, 2007

Kai Tave posted:

I should probably just go ahead and mail-order Tash Kalar and Argent at this rate. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Actually the whole Samurai Spirit thing raises a question...what are the good samurai-themed boardgames out there, if any?

How about Reiner Knizia's "Samurai"? Part of his so-called "tile-laying trilogy," all of which I believe are supposed to be quite good.

I always thought it would be very cool to have a game that mimics the pace of a classic samurai standoff/duel. (Or a Western duel, which is more or less the same.) A long buildup with moves themed around subtle maneuvering and quiet conversation, followed by a very short, climactic endgame clash. A lot of strategy about predicting when that endgame will occur. Maybe I'll try and make such a thing one of these days.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

ETB posted:

I've found that the game is much more interesting with the designer variant where everyone's first card is always in the dungeon pile.

How did this affect the gameplay?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

Medium Style posted:

How did this affect the gameplay?

I think it encourages people to actually consider going into the dungeon instead of taking equipment right off the bat. I had a player last night that won mostly by just taking equipment away instead of placing monsters, and passing at the first opportunity.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

ETB posted:

Emphasize that everyone is the same class, but only one person is actually going in. Note that passing means you're out for the round. Also note taking out equipment can work both ways.

ETB posted:

I think it encourages people to actually consider going into the dungeon instead of taking equipment right off the bat. I had a player last night that won mostly by just taking equipment away instead of placing monsters, and passing at the first opportunity.

I didn't find this a problem at all. If they immediately grabbed equipment then pass they are putting themselves in a dangerous situation. Low monster count dungeons become very risky but also much easier to determine if you are the player who placed the monster in or can read the person who did. I had several low monster count dungeons in my games last night backfire because people passed too early or were unwilling to take a risk and look at the next card.

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

ETB posted:

Interesting. I think I actually encountered the opposite. For a while I even thought that placing monsters in the dungeon was an outright safer choice than removing equipment. Placing a monster gives you knowledge of what's in the dungeon and tells your opponent nothing. Removing equipment triggers your opponent to consider what they have put into the dungeon and they can simply pass next if they know it just became impossible.

Of course, that's garbage. There's more to it than that.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

McNerd posted:

How about Reiner Knizia's "Samurai"? Part of his so-called "tile-laying trilogy," all of which I believe are supposed to be quite good.

Knizia's Samurai isn't really samurai-themed as much as medieval-Japan-themed, but yes, it's a hell of a game -- along with the other ones in the tile-laying trilogy, Through the Desert and Tigris and Euphrates.

Man, so many good Knizia games from that era... these, Taj Mahal, Ra, Amun-Re, Beowulf, Lord of the Rings...

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Re: Welcome to the Dungeon talk, a couple of the things my group got wrong the first time I played it were:
1. Unless an item token explicitly says "use once per dungeon", than it can be used multiple times. For example, the Torch can be used to kill every copy of the Goblins and Skeletons (and whatever the #3 monsters are) in a single dungeon.
2. When entering the dungeon, the cards are revealed one at a time (we couldn't find in the rule book if they're shown first-in-first-out or last-in-first-out, though I don't believe it matters). We were playing with the Warrior and initially just turned over the stack and started assigning items to monsters, which isn't correct.

Both of these tips became more clear due to context clues once I played with the other classes, which have items that list the "once per dungeon" clause, or items which which imply the one-at-a-time monster process (because they specifically reference "next" cards, for example).

Totally agree that it will take a few rounds, maybe even a couple games to completion, to really "get" the strategy.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
So is this game safe to recommend for something lighter for a general audience like Love Letter? So many games get on the hype train to be derailed moments later.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

sonatinas posted:

So is this game safe to recommend for something lighter for a general audience like Love Letter? So many games get on the hype train to be derailed moments later.

I haven't played it, but it's like $10-15 and has a small shelf footprint, so it's not going to be a disaster of a game like Dead of Winter. Light games can generally get away with lack of depth, too. Like, I don't think anyone expects forums full of discussion about Love Letter or Coup.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

sonatinas posted:

I'd say so. It's a bit more themed version of Skulls, which is a pretty light game in itself.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Open beta of the new online dominion is up. Right now it seems a lot old-new dominion, the bad version.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

GrandpaPants posted:

I haven't played it, but it's like $10-15 and has a small shelf footprint, so it's not going to be a disaster of a game like Dead of Winter. Light games can generally get away with lack of depth, too. Like, I don't think anyone expects forums full of discussion about Love Letter or Coup.

Funny you say that, because I just found out the original rule set of Love Letter had the 4 make another player discard their hand, and that's a million times better than the new copies. Why would they change it?

That Dominion beta is real hard bad hot garbage.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I found this Hugo's amazing tape that would be AMAZING for securing cards and map tiles and stiff but I read some accounts of it bonding with some specific components :(

Are there any small deck boxes that are cheap and fit sleeved cards? The big ultra pro things usually don't fit in the cardboard boxes that the games come in. If I just put them in bags, I have had a card bent on occasion.

Edit: regarding love letter and welcome to the dungeon, the designer of the latter made a Lost Legacy deck called Vorpal Sword that's regarded as the best so far by some random internet people

Also, when I read Welcome to the Dungeon it's not only in Axel Rose's voice but it's also immediately followed with a shananannananannanana knees knees

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 12, 2015

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Hugo's Amazing Tape is amazing as long as you don't live in a hot, humid climate.

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I found this Hugo's amazing tape that would be AMAZING for securing cards and map tiles and stiff but I read some accounts of it bonding with some specific components :(

Are there any small deck boxes that are cheap and fit sleeved cards? The big ultra pro things usually don't fit in the cardboard boxes that the games come in. If I just put them in bags, I have had a card bent on occasion.

Edit: regarding love letter and welcome to the dungeon, the designer of the latter made a Lost Legacy deck called Vorpal Sword that's regarded as the best so far by some random internet people

Also, when I read Welcome to the Dungeon it's not only in Axel Rose's voice but it's also immediately followed with a shananannananannanana knees knees

I own 3/4 lost legacy decks and vorpal sword is the best so far. White gold spire is good too, but different (they come in a box together)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does anyone have any good Lost Legacy custom sets? I imagine with 4 out already, there's bound to be a lot of good combinations, even if Whitegold is sorta...out there.