Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Freshwater Louie
Jun 22, 2004

fffffffff
after checking out some nets i am sad to say that oh my god all ham stereotypes are true

looks like i somehow vastly overpaid my credit card bill so i can afford a yaesu ft-817 :haw:

another stupid idiot question: what are some good recommendations for a good portable hf antennas? i do a lot of hiking and dont want to lug around some huge dumb nerd stick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Freshwater Louie posted:

after checking out some nets i am sad to say that oh my god all ham stereotypes are true

looks like i somehow vastly overpaid my credit card bill so i can afford a yaesu ft-817 :haw:

another stupid idiot question: what are some good recommendations for a good portable hf antennas? i do a lot of hiking and dont want to lug around some huge dumb nerd stick

end fed half wave wires are a big big thing right now. look for PAR End-Fedz. cheap and effective. you need a setup for each band tho

---

mast experiments
20 feet of chain link top rail on top of a hambucket with a 5' 2 meter satellite antenna on top = lol its so loving tall

im' actually going to back this one down to 15 feet as it'll be 'in front' of a 20 footer with beams on it

but it stays up high for the VHF contest this weekend because i dont have any beams yet

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

ironically keeping your novice/tech call is the cool thing now

is that like in a backlash against the "my hip replacement" crowd and their elitism or?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

radios are dumb.

tmesis
Jan 18, 2007

sup holmes
Megamarm
anyone who's into history poo poo, 99 percent invisible did an episode last week on frank conrad, who supposably started the concept of broadcast radio on his ham http://99percentinvisible.org/episode/voices-in-the-wire/

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Sniep posted:

is that like in a backlash against the "my hip replacement" crowd and their elitism or?

it's why i always make sure to say that I'm a "no code" extra

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Sniep posted:

theres now no application for vanity calls so dudes are going to be chasing memes and using up all the callsigns

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

theres now no application for vanity calls so dudes are going to be chasing memes and using up all the callsigns

i guess i dont follow - no application, meaning?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
sorry. no application fees. missed a word

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
jello
radio update

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
dude just emailed me back. he's a contractor type dude and is gonna call me at 3 tmw when he gets off work and I'm gonna get that poo poo

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
im so happy dude! yessss

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
ya I'm rly pumped. now I gotta figure out antennas and stuff.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Going for my tech license tomorrow. I can pass the practice tests in the 80%s consistently so pretty sure I'll do fine. Can't seem to get above a 60% on the general practice tests so not sure if I should bother attempting that or not.

Looking forward to passing and then burning a pile of money on new toys.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Going for my tech license tomorrow. I can pass the practice tests in the 80%s consistently so pretty sure I'll do fine. Can't seem to get above a 60% on the general practice tests so not sure if I should bother attempting that or not.

Looking forward to passing and then burning a pile of money on new toys.

failing the general after passing the tech does not invalidate your passing the tech

it has literally 0 negative consequence and isn't even recorded

as in, just take the test unless you are missing out on a hot date because there is literally no reason not to

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

you all and your radios, you all need to take a long walk off a short pier

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

tumor looking batty posted:

you all and your radios, you all need to take a long walk off a short pier

a tall pier would be better actually

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
wrong thread

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 13, 2015

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012

Sniep posted:

failing the general after passing the tech does not invalidate your passing the tech

it has literally 0 negative consequence and isn't even recorded

as in, just take the test unless you are missing out on a hot date because there is literally no reason not to

Spent all morning taking practice general tests and still couldn't get a passing score. Went to the test center and passed the tech pretty easily so figured I might as well try the general exam since I had nothing better to do. Ended up passing! By the minimum required score, but a pass is a pass. Really helped that a bunch of questions I was getting wrong on the practice tests were on my exam so I remembered a few answers that I otherwise wouldn't have known.

So now that I'm a general the next and harder challenge is prying spending money from the wife's icy grip to buy me babby's first transceiver.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
grats, see, that's exactly why i said to do it! haha

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

SpaceCadetBob posted:

Spent all morning taking practice general tests and still couldn't get a passing score. Went to the test center and passed the tech pretty easily so figured I might as well try the general exam since I had nothing better to do. Ended up passing! By the minimum required score, but a pass is a pass. Really helped that a bunch of questions I was getting wrong on the practice tests were on my exam so I remembered a few answers that I otherwise wouldn't have known.

So now that I'm a general the next and harder challenge is prying spending money from the wife's icy grip to buy me babby's first transceiver.

it took me over a year but dude is on his way right now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
vhf contest in full swing, already got a good fistful of contacts

i'm not trying to win, just to meet other SSB nerds and try out the station
it's not intense contesting YOURE 599 OK QRZ QRZ

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

it's in great shape can't wait to fire it up

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
of course he has the loving box

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Do you already have a power supply? This is one of the cheapest legit ones I know of http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2M2Y5O

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Do you already have a power supply? This is one of the cheapest legit ones I know of http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L2M2Y5O

I have a few I picked up at work when we were getting rid of servers. one of them I hooked a pot up to and can get a steady 13.8v out of it. need to put some power poles on the end of the power leads

also he said it had the $300 electronic keyer module but idk what that means

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

PuTTY riot posted:

I have a few I picked up at work when we were getting rid of servers. one of them I hooked a pot up to and can get a steady 13.8v out of it. need to put some power poles on the end of the power leads

also he said it had the $300 electronic keyer module but idk what that means

is that the morse code frequency announcer for blind people

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

atomicthumbs posted:

is that the morse code frequency announcer for blind people

no you hook a paddle up to it and it maeks the beeps and boops

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I'm seriously not allowed to play w/ it until I finish this stupid play set. I'm so close but also so far

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
paypal refund issued case closed gently caress YOU OLD MAN

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

you're loving retarded

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

SperginMcBadposter posted:

i have the (i think?) original switching supply of that style-- the alinco one DM-330MVT ( http://universal-radio.com/catalog/hamps/2330.html newer model i guess with USB and 2 less peak amps... lol )

i honestly don't even know if the 99 dollar ones are identical or somehow not as good no clue

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah those are the same as the alincos inside

...god those speaker terminals scare me

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Jonny 290 posted:

if you mean the ones on front, i cant say ive ever used them.. but they are rated max 5A so 60w... surely they have their own fuse?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
anyway, now any time i transmit im running full battery bank DC anyway, and the PSU is mostly relegated to powering my packet netbook and the packet TNC since those are heavy steady draw, all actual radios/transmitters are on battery only, filled by solar.

standard disclaimer: none of this is to be green, per-se, i just think it's neat and it's super clean power as far as the radio is concerned

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

tumor looking batty posted:

you're loving retarded

It`s u

Edit: don't sign your posts with your name, of who you are.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Jonny 290 posted:

lol that alinco decided to ues the poo poo-tier $10 sylvania steroe speaker terminals as power terminals

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

atomicthumbs posted:

lol that alinco decided to ues the poo poo-tier $10 sylvania steroe speaker terminals as power terminals

i think they are kinda superfluous. i mean, the point of the thing is to poo poo out 13.8 out the rear end of it, i dont think anyone is using it as a serious bench supply for electronics work, the voltage for one isnt adjustable enough nor is there any control over amps, etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
:woop: up to 156 pts in the VHF contest :P

19 contacts four grids two bands
not bad for a 25 watt radio (so you're looking at like 10-15 watts av ssb power) and a fuckin eggbeater at 25 feet. oh and rg-8x coax.

• Locked thread