Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

Feather posted:

Was he eating that cannibal style? Also I don't see a shake, which is something you should never miss when eating there.

Also, if he's eating at an In-and-out, chances are there are plenty of DREAMers nearby (due to the geographic locations this chain is most prominent in).

Even the small In N Out shakes are like 600+ calories. It's like a full meal all on its own. I always wonder how candidates don't just completely balloon on the trail with all the poo poo they have to eat. Is there a vomitorium bus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Gyges posted:

How dare she not beg their attention like the others! A Show! A show is demanded, amuse the Iowans, make them feel important, lie to them like you mean it when you say you care deeply about corn and corn products. Why the great state of Iowa certainly isn't a shithole that will be ignored for the next 3 years for good reason. A place that fewer Americans can locate on the map than can properly locate Iran. A place whose only consequence is founded on a farcical effort to prove to everyone else that they totally matter.

I always forget the hostility that everyone has towards the "flyover states" on these forums.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bartlebyshop posted:

Even the small In N Out shakes are like 600+ calories. It's like a full meal all on its own. I always wonder how candidates don't just completely balloon on the trail with all the poo poo they have to eat. Is there a vomitorium bus?

Speed.

funtax posted:

Is it possible to craft a more boring two-word combo than "Romney PowerPoint"?

Why would Romney want to be Secretary of State? Did he get bit by the international relations bug back when he was involved with the Salt Lake City Olympics?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr Hootington posted:

I always forget the hostility that everyone has towards the "flyover states" on these forums.

It's not hostility, they really are quite boring and irrelevant.

Much like no one cares about say, Reading, PA

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Nintendo Kid posted:

Who would ever care about flyover state politics, like listening to some dude from Illinois?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

mlmp08 posted:

Who would ever care about flyover state politics, like listening to some dude from Illinois?

Obama didn't have anything to do with loving Carbondale.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mlmp08 posted:

If Iowa had any cities half as cool as Chicago, the coastal cities would care more.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nah there is. There seems to be a tendency to marginalize anyone not living in Los Angeles, New York, or any of the cities over 450,000.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I didn't RSVP in time for the Hillary event so I won't actually be attending.

I live 2 stops away from Roosevelt Island though. It's gonna be hot as hell so I'm betting some of the NJ'ers and Long Islanders who RSVP'd won't show up, so I might as well go early and see if they'll let me take a no-show's place.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr Hootington posted:

Nah there is. There seems to be a tendency to marginalize anyone not living in California, New York, or any of the cities over 450,000.

People from nowheresville are naturally marginalized. You want people to pay attention to you, maybe have anything worth noticing?

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Skwirl posted:

Why would Romney want to be Secretary of State? Did he get bit by the international relations bug back when he was involved with the Salt Lake City Olympics?

Lusts for power, no longer willing to debase himself by relying on filthy proles to give it to him democratically.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Mr Hootington posted:

Nah there is. There seems to be a tendency to marginalize anyone not living in Los Angeles, New York, or any of the cities over 450,000.

It's not hostility, they just suck and gently caress you!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Mr Hootington posted:

It's funnier when people try to marginalize Houston.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mr Hootington posted:

There just aren't that many people in Iowa. Des Moines, your most populous city, has about 600,000 people in its metro area, while, say, Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, in NY, have more than a million each, and they're not really big metro areas by far. Take all three of them together and that's more people than your entire State. And that's not counting anybody in between, not to mention NYC's metro area. If it weren't for land basically being given extra votes due to the US's strange make-up, nobody would think twice about what Iowans want.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

There just aren't that many people in Iowa. Des Moines, your most populous city, has about 600,000 people in its metro area, while, say, Albany, Buffalo, Rochester, in NY, have more than a million each, and they're not really big metro areas by far. Take all three of them together and that's more people than your entire State. And that's not counting anybody in between, not to mention NYC's metro area. If it weren't for land basically being given extra votes due to the US's strange make-up, nobody would think twice about what Iowans want.

Which is a pretty lovely attitude. People living in rural areas shouldn't get economically and environmentally hosed over for the benefit of people living in urban areas who are too ignorant or selfish to care. Everyone deserves a decent life and to be treated respectfully regardless of where they live.

Supraluminal fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Jun 13, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

computer parts posted:

It's funnier when people try to marginalize Houston.

I've noticed a habit of people deciding the city smaller than theirs is when the city doesn't count for poo poo. If they live in a small city, tiny town, or a truly rural place, then big city folk aren't real Americans from Main Street USA.

It doesn't help that the U.S. census says some absurd percent of people live in urban areas, but that includes towns of less than 3,000 people.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Mr Hootington posted:

I think some of the hostility is that many of the people in these states have disproportionate representation to those in cities in terms of Senate representation and campaign pandering. Then you have the gerrymandering within the states themselves which gives disproportionate weight to people in rural areas.

Of course there is equally a lot of classist/elitist thinking that makes people poo poo all over people not living in cities on the coasts.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Supraluminal posted:

Which is a pretty lovely attitude. People living in rural areas shouldn't get economically and environmentally hosed over for the benefit of people living in urban areas who are to ignorant or selfish to care. Everyone deserves a decent life and to be treated respectfully regardless of where they live.

Why should 3 million Iowans get more attention than 3 million Upstate New Yorkers, though? Iowa isn't the only rural area in the US, you know.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Which is too bad. Then again I still haven't had all of my idealism beaten out of me.

It is a difference I see in the parties to. Democrats gently caress you and want to help. Republicans are nice to you, but gently caress you when your back is turned. Then again I'm a white male so my picture of things are colored a bit differently.

Neeksy posted:

I think some of the hostility is that many of the people in these states have disproportionate representation to those in cities in terms of Senate representation and campaign pandering. Then you have the gerrymandering within the states themselves which gives disproportionate weight to people in rural areas.

Of course there is equally a lot of classist/elitist thinking that makes people poo poo all over people not living in cities on the coasts.

Both of these are true.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 13, 2015

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Skwirl posted:

he wants to run for president again.

if he cleans up his weakest points (comes across as a zillionaire cyborg with lovely foreign policy ideas) by at least fixing the cyborg and foreign policy part with a good top of the resume position, he could swing a run again.

like, he was a pretty meh candidate by all means, but if he had a good, fresh memory and loosened up a little, he could make a pretty solid run again imo

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Mr Hootington posted:

Which is too bad. Then again I still haven't had all of my idealism beaten out of me.

It is a difference I see in the parties to. Democrats gently caress you and want to help. Republicans are nice to you, but gently caress you when your back is turned. Then again I'm a white male so my picture of things are colored a bit differently.

I'm personally happy that these circumstances mean you get to give us all of this interesting coverage of all the contenders, and thank you for doing that.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Supraluminal posted:

Which is a pretty lovely attitude. People living in rural areas shouldn't get economically and environmentally hosed over for the benefit of people living in urban areas who are to ignorant or selfish to care. Everyone deserves a decent life and to be treated respectfully regardless of where they live.

What's the lovely attitude, again? How is it disrespectful to not go out of my way to think about wherever you happen to live right now?

Also the urban areas aren't loving rural areas over, rural voting tends to gently caress themselves over. Last I checked I can't vote in Iowa due to the whole never living there thing, and I can only elect two senators and 1 representative in congress to change anything.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why should 3 million Iowans get more attention than 3 million Upstate New Yorkers, though? Iowa isn't the only rural area in the US, you know.

Funny you should say that! I live in upstate NY.

They shouldn't get more attention. Everyone should get sufficient attention. You said:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If it weren't for land basically being given extra votes due to the US's strange make-up, nobody would think twice about what Iowans want.

Which is horseshit. People should think about what Iowans want, and about what people in upstate NY want, and what people in Atlanta want, and Santa Barbara, and North Dakota, and....

If all you're saying is that the primary calendar results in some weird-rear end distortions of American politics, I agree with you, but this discussion started getting a lot more general than that.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

While I suppose big city folk looking down on Iowa can be annoying, no one ever accuses resident's of the flyover states of not being "real Americans" as an applause line.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Supraluminal posted:

Funny you should say that! I live in upstate NY.

They shouldn't get more attention. Everyone should get sufficient attention. You said:

Which is horseshit. People should think about what Iowans want, and about what people in upstate NY want, and what people in Atlanta want, and Santa Barbara, and North Dakota, and....

If all you're saying is that the primary calendar results in some weird-rear end distortions of American politics, I agree with you, but this discussion started getting a lot more general than that.

Then I misspoke. I meant they shouldn't care what they think just because they happen to be Iowans and therefore their votes matter more than mine or yours.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
If no one should care what small groups without much political power want, maybe we should stop caring about the plight of minorities who are gerrymandered into irrelevance. :can:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Skwirl posted:

While I suppose big city folk looking down on Iowa can be annoying, no one ever accuses resident's of the flyover states of not being "real Americans" as an applause line.

I've heard similar talk whenever someone displays a Confederate flag.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mr Hootington posted:

And I live in one of those states. The population difference is something nobody loving gets until they see something like that. Iowa's not one of those shaded states but it isn't that far off. Shackling the country to the rear end-backwards proclivities of the Iowa GOP straw poll voters for a non-zero interval is similar to asking the loving Duggars for master courses on effective communication and conflict resolution.

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

What's the lovely attitude, again? How is it disrespectful to not go out of my way to think about wherever you happen to live right now?

Also the urban areas aren't loving rural areas over, rural voting tends to gently caress themselves over. Last I checked I can't vote in Iowa due to the whole never living there thing, and I can only elect two senators and 1 representative in congress to change anything.

Uh huh. Tell that to the residents of the poorest counties of the Southern Tier of NY, which Governor Cuomo wanted to use as a fracking laboratory. Meanwhile the entire NYC watershed was completely off-limits. Because heaven forbid anything happen to the drinking water of a major city, but a few hundred thousand impoverished farmers and small-town yokels? gently caress it, let's see what happens.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

computer parts posted:

I've heard similar talk whenever someone displays a Confederate flag.

I've never heard that from someone running for political office on a national level.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

mlmp08 posted:

If no one should care what small groups without much political power want, maybe we should stop caring about the plight of minorities who are gerrymandered into irrelevance. :can:

You mean small groups with disproportionately large political power, right?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Supraluminal posted:

Uh huh. Tell that to the residents of the poorest counties of the Southern Tier of NY, which Governor Cuomo wanted to use as a fracking laboratory. Meanwhile the entire NYC watershed was completely off-limits. Because heaven forbid anything happen to the drinking water of a major city, but a few hundred thousand impoverished farmers and small-town yokels? gently caress it, let's see what happens.

Great, so how does voting in the suburbs of Boston change fracking rules in rust belt New York? Cuz you know, that's where I live.

Also the NYC watershed is owned by the city of New York due to planning ahead about 150 years, and obviously the city of New York is not going to sell fracking rights there. This had nothing to do with voting.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Nintendo Kid posted:

It is a lovely attitude if you proclaim you believe in a set of ideals which goals are to help everyone and make everyone equal. It is only disrespectful if someone brings up something about there area and you go out of your way to say "Who cares? gently caress off!"

Urban and rural gently caress each other over all the time. Bakken oil pipeline and nitrates in water upstream of bigger cities are two issues I can point to in my state of this.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Supraluminal posted:

How many of those impoverished farmers and small town yokels expressed opposition to fracking?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Skwirl posted:

I've never heard that from someone running for political office on a national level.

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/07/23/us/daughter-of-slavery-hushes-senate.html

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

FAUXTON posted:

And I live in one of those states. The population difference is something nobody loving gets until they see something like that. Iowa's not one of those shaded states but it isn't that far off. Shackling the country to the rear end-backwards proclivities of the Iowa GOP straw poll voters for a non-zero interval is similar to asking the loving Duggars for master courses on effective communication and conflict resolution.

Regardless of the population difference. This is a nation that was supposed to be built on the ideal that everyone has a voice.

BristolSOF
Jan 19, 2003

BristolSOF fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 16, 2015

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

BristolSOF posted:

Lindsey Graham sat down with Katie Couric of Yahoo News, and said something that I (and probably all of you) agree with - which is pretty shocking

Ha! He does this. He says something cool and gets a nod, but follows it up with something super lovely.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr Hootington posted:

It is a lovely attitude if you proclaim you believe in a set of ideals which goals are to help everyone and make everyone equal. It is only disrespectful if someone brings up something about there area and you go out of your way to say "Who cares? gently caress off!"

Urban and rural gently caress each other over all the time. Bakken oil pipeline and nitrates in water upstream of bigger cities are two issues I can point to in my state of this.

Wanting everyone to be better served by the government does not require that I care what the people of say Topeka have to say about things.

Mr Hootington posted:

Regardless of the population difference. This is a nation that was supposed to be built on the ideal that everyone has a voice.

And you do! But having a voice doesn't mean that the other 310 million people have to care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Supraluminal posted:

Counterpoint: Cuomo is a fuckhead. He'd screw NYC into the ground if he could figure a way to make it benefit him. It's not a terribly good example because Christ, what an rear end in a top hat.

(I still agree with you, Upstate solidarity.)

• Locked thread