Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Awia posted:

i mainly couldn't be arsed to set up a toolchain tbh, too much effort to print yospos birch to bochs once then never come back to it

don't they have like ghetto MASM IDEs now? and you can just cut and paste the binary into a blank floppy image

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
writing an OS is easy. you just change the default background wallpaper, repackage it, and ou instantly have a new linux variant

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
challeng: read this

http://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2015-paul-ford-what-is-code/

its bad

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

no it isnt actually, it's a pretty decent explanation of what the hell is going on under the hood to someone who has no loving idea what any of this poo poo does

the "what happens when you press the "a" key" is something i've brought out to show people just how deep the rabbit hole goes

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

i mean it looks "bad" to us because we know everything in there already and so we can sit here picking apart the small oversimplifications but it looks pretty good overall

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

honked again

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Dessert Rose posted:

no it isnt actually, it's a pretty decent explanation of what the hell is going on under the hood to someone who has no loving idea what any of this poo poo does

the "what happens when you press the "a" key" is something i've brought out to show people just how deep the rabbit hole goes

you're actually right. i just got this far, and then threw my steve jobs mac book pro out of the microsoft window

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
that article clearly took a huge amount of work to make

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

yeah it's amazing

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Awia posted:

i wrote an irc bot in python once and learnt absolutely nothing
its because of python

i wrote an irc bot in python when i was in high school and it felt like the single biggest thing that ever made programming "click" for me

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

it's not goatse without a ring0

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i just did this easy euler in rust and it was cool https://projecteuler.net/problem=41

gonna do some more eulers

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
the early eulers are great for stretching your programming muscles

unfortunately the later ones are way more about mathematical "aha!" moments than anything to do with code

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

" It’s amazing any of it works at all."

a good article (if far too long)

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

could have probably stopped after explaining the part about how code actually works, yeah

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

fart simpson posted:

i wrote an irc bot in python when i was in high school and it felt like the single biggest thing that ever made programming "click" for me

i wrote some funy comments in my parser (which was just one big switch(state) state machine, i got bored writing each case and started making stupid monty python references. i was, like, fourteen.) and when my stepdad sent it to his coworkers they were like "does she want to intern here?" based on the actual code

so of course i joined the military instead.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

don't they have like ghetto MASM IDEs now? and you can just cut and paste the binary into a blank floppy image

they probably do! but i was trying to do it in C so i needed a cross compiler and all that good stuff

fart simpson posted:

i wrote mine when i had nothing to do at the end of my intern year, so after 2 years of university and a year of "actual work"
if programming hadnt clicked by that point i was hosed tbh

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Awia posted:

i wrote mine when i had nothing to do at the end of my intern year, so after 2 years of university and a year of "actual work"
if programming hadnt clicked by that point i was hosed tbh

timing is everything i guess

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

also lol i guess i was a real nerd if i was spending my high school free time writing an irc bot

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

fart simpson posted:

also lol i guess i was a real nerd if i was spending my high school free time writing an irc bot

lol i was too busy getting laid obviously

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Dr. Honked posted:

you're actually right. i just got this far, and then threw my steve jobs mac book pro out of the microsoft window

lol gently caress that idiot that's exactly backwards. west coast is Beep boop fart app bullshit and east coast is MIT csail magicians

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Awia posted:

they probably do! but i was trying to do it in C so i needed a cross compiler and all that good stuff

yeah i have a bootloader that executes whatever is on side 2 of a floppy but i don't know how i'd get a suitable program from C

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Luigi Thirty posted:

yeah i have a bootloader that executes whatever is on side 2 of a floppy but i don't know how i'd get a suitable program from C

very carefully!

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

or using a i686 cross compiler or whatever, its a bit of a ballache

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
i want to write a command line app with brain dead argument processing, good json/yaml/sqlite support, brain dead html templating/escaping, and which is type safe and can compile to native binaries. also not golang. is there any language that fits this description or am i scroogled

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c#

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

horse mans posted:

i want to write a command line app with brain dead argument processing, good json/yaml/sqlite support, brain dead html templating/escaping, and which is type safe and can compile to native binaries. also not golang. is there any language that fits this description or am i scroogled

node.js

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Gentoo

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
well that's what i get for asking the terrible programmer thread

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

unironically this assuming you can live with mono

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
why would you use mono? just use vs + the regular clr.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

horse mans posted:

try ocaml or haskell op

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

the answer is always c#
lol if youre trying to be cross platform

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
i can't tell if these are ironic answers or not anymore

pram
Jun 10, 2001

horse mans posted:

golang

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

c# is a good language. you should use it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Dessert Rose posted:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Dessert Rose posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
yes its good advice to recommend something that definitely doesnt support the majority of the stuff he needs on linux, rather than something that does

• Locked thread