Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
What would be the appeal of doing another Fallout side-story for Obsidian be? Outside of the Boneyard/LA idea someone upthread mentioned, their baby is the West Coast, which the bulk of their story was resolved in 2 and got a Scouring Of The Shire / Season 5 of Babylon 5 in the form of New Vegas. I can see them wanting to get back to what they worked long ago just fine, but doing a new location that Bethesda might have more say in what they can/can't do?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FllGpRS8Mx4

Love the one where he murders a guy by sleeping next him

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 13, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Because most of the bugs weren't hand-me-downs from Fallout 3, no sir.

And how can you forget the first bug you get to see right at the beginning of New Vegas?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKIkw3LIoQ

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Crabtree posted:

And how can you forget the first bug you get to see right at the beginning of New Vegas?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKIkw3LIoQ

I consider that a feature

hes a doctor he knows what hes doing

GirlBones
Jun 10, 2007
I am not very good at the internet

hemophilia posted:

I really agree with people who favor Fallout: NV, but the dividing line on that seems to be if you played the first two in their time or not. I've not met anyone who came in with F3 and doesn't prefer it to new vegas.

F3 was the first game in the franchise I played and I think it's a donkey dick of a game compared to NV.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

GirlBones posted:

F3 was the first game in the franchise I played and I think it's a donkey dick of a game compared to NV.

Same.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Yep, I'd heard of the originals, but never got around to playing them. Then I played 3 and liked it, then I loved New Vegas so much I wanted to see the games that led up to it. Having played the whole series now, I still think New Vegas is actually the best one.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae
I haven't touched the originals since they came out way back when in '97 and '98. I don't think I'll be replaying them any time soon. I don't want to spoil my fond memories of the countless hours I spent on them, and multiplayer Quake II, rather than studying for uni exams.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Fallout 3 was a hot pile of garbage from start to finish, and I played it right when it came out. I never did any of the DLC, though

New Vegas is pretty bad but it's definitely better than Fallout 3

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

OwlFancier posted:

I liked the stuff you could make, especially the ammo, but the UI for it was bad yes.
I don't know when I've ever seen a good crafting UI, really. The only UI I actually like in the new Fallouts is the trading menu, and even that could stand to take up more of the screen and have smaller text.

frajaq posted:

Wasn't release NV loving buggy as all hell?
It's buggy as all hell now!!!

MisterBibs posted:

What would be the appeal of doing another Fallout side-story for Obsidian be? Outside of the Boneyard/LA idea someone upthread mentioned, their baby is the West Coast, which the bulk of their story was resolved in 2 and got a Scouring Of The Shire / Season 5 of Babylon 5 in the form of New Vegas. I can see them wanting to get back to what they worked long ago just fine, but doing a new location that Bethesda might have more say in what they can/can't do?
Bethesda would dictate exactly what they could and couldn't do no matter where it was set, because they own the franchise.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I'm kind of curious, which platform was the metacritic rating bonus for New Vegas based on? Because the PS3 version of every Bethesda game just flat out doesn't work after a short while because of the severe lack of memory that console has.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Didn't really care for F3 when I first played it. I enjoyed it enough to finish it but that's it. I did revisit it a few years later and actually enjoyed it way more than the first time

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Been replaying F3, but I've been experiencing severe freezes once in a while. here's my load order:

Fallout3.esm
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
PointLookout.esm
Zeta.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
*Fellout-pipboylight.esp (disabled for now, seemed to jam up games much faster)
Mothership Crew.esm (It's a bunch of addon quests and storyline, I thought it sounded interesting)
HairtradeV1.esp
StealthNecklace.esp (I don't like the look of the Stealth Suit, sorry :shobon:)
WeaponModKits.esp
Fellout-Full.esp
Fellout-Anchorage.esp
Fellout-PointLookout.esp
Fellout-Zeta.esp
Fellout-BrokenSteel.esp

Fellout's readme said to place it last, while FelloutPipboyLight before any mod that added new items and stuff- does that include the DLC?

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Crafting still managed to break Skyrim, despite a cleaned up UI and the realisation that item bloat had to be contained somehow. Which makes an odd kind of sense as Morrowind managed a pretty good balance between item bloat and interesting crafting recipes. I actually think the mod scene tends to get carried away with crafting and adding all sorts of stupid poo poo to levelled lists creating a godawful unstable mess, but then again these are people who spend significant portions of their lives modelling horse dongs and floppy anime tits when they aren't crying about having their IP stolen so that shouldn't be too surprising.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 13, 2015

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

skyrims biggest offense with regard to crafting was adding such a massive cooking system that was so utterly useless

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

EDIT 3: Saves didn't work. The Steam cloud would eat your poo poo.

This poo poo is still broken. My 360 version just corrupted the autosave a few days ago.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wish crafting would just go away.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

crafting is cool if it's not too ridiculously hard/gated but balancing it out right seems to be beyond most game devs

like, making your own armor/weapons is cool, but if by the time i can actually craft stuff i'd want to use, i've found better drops on every enemy i encounter then it's balanced pretty poorly

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

QuarkJets posted:

New Vegas is pretty bad but it's definitely better than Fallout 3

lmao

I played the originals when they came out, but the combat is really boring and terrible and slow as hell so "oblivion with guns" was a step up in that department. I slogged through the originals mostly because open-world games where you can do multiple things to complete quests and alter the outcomes of various characters and places appeals to me (in a sci-fi type setting anyway, I got less than an hour into Skyrim before I stopped playing plus there might not even be one game that's done first person melee combat well).

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 13, 2015

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Another E3, another "all the panels I would want to watch happen at like 3-5am each day."

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

crafting is cool if it's not too ridiculously hard/gated but balancing it out right seems to be beyond most game devs
like, making your own armor/weapons is cool, but if by the time i can actually craft stuff i'd want to use, i've found better drops on every enemy i encounter then it's balanced pretty poorly
Crafting in Skyrim on difficulties below Master was kind of neat in that it allowed you to continue to use lower tier equipment. You like how the Iron Sword looks? Just upgrade it and you don't have to replace it with a sword made from a higher tier weapon.
It allowed me to play pretty princess dress up and any game that allows me to do that is alright.:colbert:

YOURFRIEND
Feb 3, 2009

You're an asshole, Mr. Grinch
You really are a cunt
You're as cuddly as a cockring
and charming being a shitheel

FUCK YOURFRIEND!

MisterBibs posted:

Probably money?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

A Fallout game set in the midwest or south could be pretty cool. I know Tactics and that piece of poo poo game nobody likes Brotherhood of Steel did the Chicago area and Texas already but considering the former is only partially canon and the latter isn't canon at all, it might be cool to revisit. Either that or go with the proposed setting of Fallout Tactics 2 in Florida that never got past the planning stages, where the Everglades has transformed into a lush jungle with unique mutations and adversaries.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
The problem with crafting is that it has to be balanced against things you find while exploring. Exploration gets boring if you never get any items that are better than what you can craft, and if you make crafted items too weak, it becomes useless.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

A Fallout game set in the midwest or south could be pretty cool. I know Tactics and that piece of poo poo game nobody likes Brotherhood of Steel did the Chicago area and Texas already but considering the former is only partially canon and the latter isn't canon at all, it might be cool to revisit. Either that or go with the proposed setting of Fallout Tactics 2 in Florida that never got past the planning stages, where the Everglades has transformed into a lush jungle with unique mutations and adversaries.

The problem with that is the South was a wasteland before the bombs fell.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

YOURFRIEND posted:

Probably money?

Provided Bethesda didn't gently caress them out of royalties with some convenient Metacritic stipulation that the game goes over a certain rating or they just don't get royalties (which Bethesda would, again).

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Raygereio posted:

Crafting in Skyrim on difficulties below Master was kind of neat in that it allowed you to continue to use lower tier equipment. You like how the Iron Sword looks? Just upgrade it and you don't have to replace it with a sword made from a higher tier weapon.
It allowed me to play pretty princess dress up and any game that allows me to do that is alright.:colbert:

yeah the smithing system in skyrim was pretty decent in some ways, but burying high tier ebony/glass/daedric/dragon stuff so far back that you need to game the system by banging out loads of jewelry/dwarven bows to actually access the perks sucked

i definitely liked the ability to just upgrade existing equipment so you could keep your characters aesthetic the same throughout

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

yeah the smithing system in skyrim was pretty decent in some ways, but burying high tier ebony/glass/daedric/dragon stuff so far back that you need to game the system by banging out loads of jewelry/dwarven bows to actually access the perks sucked

i definitely liked the ability to just upgrade existing equipment so you could keep your characters aesthetic the same throughout

My ideal RPG would allow you to melt down rare/epic items you don't want and it could be used to give another weapon a permanent small increase. This way exploring is always rewarded, even if the stuff you find is worse than what you got. It also lets you play Fashion Souls/Fashion Elder Scrolls without crippling your character.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I liked the crafting system in Arcanum because it was simple as all hell; get the stats required to make the item, then combine only two items to make it. That's it.

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010
NMA was right

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Graevling posted:

NMA was right

They say F2 was poo poo, so they must be wrong.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Bholder posted:

They say F2 was poo poo, so they must be wrong.

So just to be clear is Fallout 1 the only game in the six game series they're ostensibly a fan community for that they actually like

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought Fallout 2 was the only bad Fallout. Besides BoS I guess I never played it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

NMA make good, valid points about the various Fallout games before saying that it ruined the series FOREVER and Fallout 1 is the only true Fallout game and other spergy crap. They said Fallout 2 ruined the series forever, they said Tactics ruined the series forever, if Van Buren came out they would have said that ruined the series forever, they said Fallout 3 ruined the series forever and their view of New Vegas is that it's better than Fallout 3 but still not my true Fallout because Fallout 1 is the only true Fallout game! :qq:

Nevermind that Fallout 1 had a ton of flaws that were terrible even at the time of release.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Fallout 1 doesn't have a hoopty car you can fix, it's the shittier isometric fallout.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

MisterBibs posted:

They could set it further east than Vegas since the Legion wasn't actually wiped out or anything. As a sucker for Roman history it'd be cool to see which ending is considered canon (talking down Lanius, Lanius dies, Caesar lives, etc) and see how the East deals with a weakened Legion.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Fallout 1 is one of the only RPGs I've played where it's entirely possible to get a game over just because a loving NPC or follower is standing in the door frame and refuses to move and you can't push them out of the way like you can in Fallout 2 so you're trapped there.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

NMA make good, valid points about the various Fallout games before saying that it ruined the series FOREVER and Fallout 1 is the only true Fallout game and other spergy crap. They said Fallout 2 ruined the series forever, they said Tactics ruined the series forever, if Van Buren came out they would have said that ruined the series forever, they said Fallout 3 ruined the series forever and their view of New Vegas is that it's better than Fallout 3 but still not my true Fallout because Fallout 1 is the only true Fallout game! :qq:

Nevermind that Fallout 1 had a ton of flaws that were terrible even at the time of release.

Like the loving companions for one. :argh:

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Remember how green outlines for companions was a perk in FO1?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graevling
Mar 27, 2010
never played f1 and really enjoyed fallort 3, NMA was still right

• Locked thread