Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Razakai posted:

Which would you guys rather fight - 6 ghoul sized Roaches or one Roach sized ghoul??

The ghoul, it can easily get stunlocked by my Igni but Roach never seems to care about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I've killed three ekimmaras and not found a single mutagen on them. Is there a guaranteed drop for these on one of quests? Does save/reload do it? I just want my drat decoction.

e: Or Leshen mutagens.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jun 13, 2015

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Asehujiko posted:

Tried 3 times, the bandit leader drops a garbage longsword every time and nothing else.

This happened to me as well. I even went back a save and came back hours later and he still didn't drop a key. I think 1.05 broke it or something, along with Count Ruvians Treasure at least.

Ravenfood posted:

I've killed three ekimmaras and not found a single mutagen on them. Is there a guaranteed drop for these on one of quests? Does save/reload do it? I just want my drat decoction.

It is not a guranteed drop, which is stupid cause you've now killed all that are in the game. save/load until it drops from at least one. Save/load to make sure you get its hide. Same deal with golem hearts, but not as bad.

Broose fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 13, 2015

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Razakai posted:

Which would you guys rather fight - 6 ghoul sized Roaches or one Roach sized ghoul??

Follow-up question: would you rather fight a Roach-sized Roche or a Roche-sized Roach?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Broose posted:

It is not a guranteed drop, which is stupid cause you've now killed all that are in the game. save/load until it drops from at least one. Save/load to make sure you get its hide. Same deal with golem hearts, but not as bad.
Dammit. I don't have a decent save before it, either. Wasn't expecting the ekimmara at all. That's really it? There's only three in the game? I at least got enough golem hearts to make an enhanced blizzard, so I can't be doing too badly. Also I think I lucked out on the hides, got three of those too.

e: And yeah, same thing with Leshens. A bit of googling told me there's an ancient leshen associated with a quest, but are there any other leshens besides the one near Dragonslayer's Grotto?

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 13, 2015

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

I keep thinking you're joking but I'm not seeing the punchline

Now I'm waiting for someone to post a link to a news article about a fat nerd dying while attempting to kung fu several angry canines.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CVagts posted:

Follow-up question: would you rather fight a Roach-sized Roche or a Roche-sized Roach?

Trick question, you should never fight Roche because he's just so dreamy.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Asehujiko posted:

Tried 3 times, the bandit leader drops a garbage longsword every time and nothing else.

Reminds me of the time I got into a secret stash with a hidden door and everything.

Only 13 crowns in there.... enough for a sandwich.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
This is seriously the best game I've ever played. I liked Witcher 1 and 2, but never finished them. This is a whole other level, I cannot loving stop playing. It's summer, friends are asking me to go to the beach and drink beers and all I'm doing is playing loving Witcher 3.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

CitrusFrog posted:

Now I'm waiting for someone to post a link to a news article about a fat nerd dying while attempting to kung fu several angry canines.

At least he's not trying to guard his pupkins with a shotgun.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So what's the deal with Geralt calling all his horses Roach? Is it something that is never explained in the books or is it some kind of Polish pun that doesn't translate well?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Big Bidness posted:

At least he's not trying to guard his pupkins with a shotgun.

This is very true.

-Bobby Crosby

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sylphosaurus posted:

So what's the deal with Geralt calling all his horses Roach? Is it something that is never explained in the books or is it some kind of Polish pun that doesn't translate well?

Technically speaking it is. The wiki can explain it better than I can:

quote:

The name refers to the roach (Rutilus rutilus), a common European fresh water fish. It has nothing directly to do with the either the French given name "Roche" or the character Vernon Roche (or, especially, the insect). Though the English term for the fish ("roach") does in fact share its origin with "Roche": both terms come from the French word for "rock".

That said, Roach's Polish name doesn't translate well to English because in the books it's actually a diminutive form of the original word, as a nickname of affection:

quote:

It's worth noting that the original name for the horse in Polish is "Płotka", a diminutive form of the word "Płoć" (meaning "roach"). Diminutives are endearing in Polish, so a more direct translation would have been something along the lines of "Roachy" or "Roachie" (English, however, doesn't commonly use diminutives in that manner).

I don't think Geralt has ever said WHY he names all his horses Roach, he just does.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Skellige is rad but uhh gently caress why are there so many goddamn markers out in the ocean and so many goddamn harpies?

Is there a faster boat I can get and possibly a flak cannon?

The only upside is that you can ride around on a boat picking up all the smuggler caches and ignore being constantly overburdened.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CJacobs posted:

I don't think Geralt has ever said WHY he names all his horses Roach, he just does.
I remember a line in the English version that he says he calls them all Roach because he doesn't really respect horses.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Avalerion posted:

She sleeps with you, least I figured that's what the "other deal" was.

See I told her to gently caress right off the first time thinking she was gonna try to steal my cards or something, so then when she gloms on for the coin thief investigating I was like wtf get outta here. The sexing is not worth 4500!

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

CitrusFrog posted:

Well, if you're fat you might have a better chance as long as you're strong enough and have enough stamina to keep your arms up to protect your throat. All that fat makes it less likely the dogs get an artery in your arms or legs!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

ZombieLenin posted:

Well, if you're fat you might have a better chance as long as you're strong enough and have enough stamina to keep your arms up to protect your throat. All that fat makes it less likely the dogs get an artery in your arms or legs!

You know, that actually makes a good bit of sense. Unfortunately, it also means that the dogs will also just keep taking chunks out of you and your suffering will be prolonged while they root around in your guts and eat your liver.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

See I told her to gently caress right off the first time thinking she was gonna try to steal my cards or something, so then when she gloms on for the coin thief investigating I was like wtf get outta here. The sexing is not worth 4500!

If you still care about any sum less than 10k crowns at that stage, you're doing something fundamentally wrong :v:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Reminds me of the time I got into a secret stash with a hidden door and everything.

Only 13 crowns in there.... enough for a sandwich.

Being a blacksmith in that universe must suck.
Big day today! The legendary White Wolf came by my shop and repaired his armor set, then had some superior swords and a unique crossbow crafted. Now I can buy three apples for my children and a glass of beer for myself.

He took my best gwent card though :smith:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Skilleddk posted:

This is seriously the best game I've ever played. I liked Witcher 1 and 2, but never finished them. This is a whole other level, I cannot loving stop playing. It's summer, friends are asking me to go to the beach and drink beers and all I'm doing is playing loving Witcher 3.
Yeah, CD Projekt RED just entered maestro level with this game. There's not a sinlge wasted dialogue or monster fight, the stories and their interconnections are the deepest plots I've seen in an RPG, it just all comes together in a way that is only possible to a team that has done AAA+ games in the past but now decided to go beyond that.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
What's the exact quest I need to do to kill Radovid

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Calaveron posted:

You have to be on good terms with Djikstra so don't burn the Witch Hunter base to the ground and find his treasure for him. He'll then talk to you about it after you help Triss escape Novigrad with the mages. He'll talk to you about it no matter what but if you have a poo poo relationship with him the subplot will be cut short after the first mission he gives you dealing with it. (Which is what happened to me)

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Accordion Man posted:

You have to be on good terms with Djikstra so don't burn the Witch Hunter base to the ground and find his treasure for him. He'll then talk to you about it after you help Triss escape Novigrad with the mages.

I burned the base and gave Dijkstra the key. Are you sure the quest doesn't activate independent of whatever you do before?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Calaveron posted:

Once you've helped Thaler, progress the story until you visit Djikstra with Triss. Be nice to him for this and you'll be able to start.

Burning down Menge's place is OK.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

dyzzy posted:

Once you've helped Thaler, progress the story until you visit Djikstra with Triss. Be nice to him for this and you'll be able to start.

Burning down Menge's place is OK.

After she comes back? Currently doing the stuff before the siege. I asked Dijkstra for help but he essentially told me to go gently caress myself. I rescued Thaler from the trolls, and am currently doing Redania's Most Wanted. Does this affect anything? Am I on the right path?

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

You have to be on good terms with Djikstra so don't burn the Witch Hunter base to the ground and find his treasure for him. He'll then talk to you about it after you help Triss escape Novigrad with the mages. He'll ta;l to you about it no matter what but if you have a poo poo relationship with him the subplot will cut short on the first mission. (Which is what happened to me)

I did not need that good relationship, its normal for that subplot to take a break until you progress enough in the main quests.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

sauer kraut posted:

I did not need that good relationship, its normal for that subplot to take a break until you progress enough in the main quests.
It never came back for me and I did the mission with Thaler before leaving for Skellige.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Accordion Man posted:

It never came back for me and I did the mission with Thaler before leaving for Skellige.

Oh it will, later.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Calaveron posted:

After she comes back? Currently doing the stuff before the siege. I asked Dijkstra for help but he essentially told me to go gently caress myself. I rescued Thaler from the trolls, and am currently doing Redania's Most Wanted. Does this affect anything? Am I on the right path?

Yeah you're fine. It'll be impossible to miss.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I really like how (ending-related) in order for Nilfgaard to not be doomed, you have to do all of Emhyr's work for him. Radovid will beat him without your help, and Djikstra will too. But if you get rid of all his opponents and set the table for him, he'll manage to not cock it up.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

sauer kraut posted:

Oh it will, later.
As I said it never gave me an indication that I could continue the quest and I beat the entire game a week ago. Do you have to go see Djikstra later without the game prompting you?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GrossMurpel posted:

If you still care about any sum less than 10k crowns at that stage, you're doing something fundamentally wrong :v:

I like to imagine Geralt actually has like hundreds of thousands of crowns stashed away in Kaer Morhen but he is just a bitter rear end in a top hat about making sure he doesn't get cheated on the pay.

I wanted to tell some farmer to not worry about it when he didn't have the money to pay me but Geralt just went 'you have a week and if you can't come up with the coin by then bad things will happen.' Had like 10k at that point and the amount in question was like 150.

Selane
May 19, 2006

Accordion Man posted:

You have to be on good terms with Djikstra so don't burn the Witch Hunter base to the ground and find his treasure for him. He'll then talk to you about it after you help Triss escape Novigrad with the mages. He'll talk to you about it no matter what but if you have a poo poo relationship with him the subplot will be cut short after the first mission he gives you dealing with it. (Which is what happened to me)

I did burn the place down and didn't find the treasure, and I still got the mission. From what I can tell though, the intro to the quest comes when you're helping Phillipa escape the bathhouse. If you break Djikstra's leg you just walk out and leave. Make sure you choose the 'let her talk' option and in a bit he tells you to meet him at the warehouse, which is where the plan is explained.

I'm not 100% sure what you need to do other than that to get the option to pop up, but I'm pretty sure choosing 'Forcefully push him aside' in the bathhouse instantly locks you out of it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Selane posted:

I did burn the place down and didn't find the treasure, and I still got the mission. From what I can tell though, the intro to the quest comes when you're helping Phillipa escape the bathhouse. If you break Djikstra's leg you just walk out and leave. Make sure you choose the 'let her talk' option and in a bit he tells you to meet him at the warehouse, which is where the plan is explained.

I'm not 100% sure what you need to do other than that to get the option to pop up, but I'm pretty sure choosing 'Forcefully push him aside' in the bathhouse instantly locks you out of it.

Ah, I see. I just finished the job of making Djikstra a cripple because gently caress that guy.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I played for a few hours now and made literally no progress in the story but have been all over the world. I've been exploring every and all ?s I can find. I've found several sigil posts and collected like 4-5 bonus attribute points already.

I've collected a ton of poo poo in those travels too, replaced everything equipment wise except my silver sword.

I keep switching between my blue steel sword and a magic sword I found that boosts my fire Attack which is why I stick with that. Also holy poo poo repairing gear is expensive.

I know the advice earlier was don't sell greens but surely that doesn't matter for level 1 greens does it?

The only ? I couldn't get to was some
Broken down building on a plateau with no way up. There's also archers shooting at me as I look at it. It's annoying.

Anyway I guess I'll go to finish the lilac and gooseberries quest soon. Lol.

This game is fun. It's also gorgeous.

This alchemy is insane though. I have all these metals and have no idea what I should break down and such. I'm just holding onto it for when I need something crafted. I finally found saltpeter so now I have to double back to the ghouls nests.

I've already bought the extra saddle bags from White Orchard.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Accordion Man posted:

The latter, Roach is an invincible super horse and I'd rather not fight six of her.

Apropos invincible super horse... at one point I fast traveled to the Whispering Hillock and was greated by what can only be described as the most horrifying cacophonous sound one could imagine.
Throwing a baby into an oven would sound like an angel's whisper in comparison.

Turns out, the wild horse I had lead down into the cavern below was still alive and has been fighting off four endrega drones, probably for days.
Horses are tough motherfuckers.

Edit:

Sylphosaurus posted:

By the way, "Roach" is not short for "Cockroach". It's some sort of fish.
In the german version, the horse is supposedly called "Plötze".

Moridin920 posted:

I like to imagine Geralt actually has like hundreds of thousands of crowns stashed away in Kaer Morhen but he is just a bitter rear end in a top hat about making sure he doesn't get cheated on the pay.
I chuckled at the epilogue drawings, when Dandelion told us that Geralt would continue to live the witcher's life, earning coin from contract to contract just to get by.

Dude, by the "price for a loaf of bread" index (similar to our BigMac-Index), I was probably the richest guy on the whole loving continent.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jun 13, 2015

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

JetsGuy posted:

I know the advice earlier was don't sell greens but surely that doesn't matter for level 1 greens does it?

The only ? I couldn't get to was some
Broken down building on a plateau with no way up. There's also archers shooting at me as I look at it. It's annoying.

by greens people are referring to those armour pieces and swords that specifically say "Witcher Gear" in green where others might say "magic" or "relic"

There is a way up to that broken down building if it's the one I'm thinking of. There's a collapsed piece of tower on the south side you can run up and then you have to do a running jump to get across a small gap and climb up a ledge. There's about four or five bandits up there and several lootable crates and chests.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

CitrusFrog posted:

by greens people are referring to those armour pieces and swords that specifically say "Witcher Gear" in green where others might say "magic" or "relic"

There is a way up to that broken down building if it's the one I'm thinking of. There's a collapsed piece of tower on the south side you can run up and then you have to do a running jump to get across a small gap and climb up a ledge. There's about four or five bandits up there and several lootable crates and chests.

That's what I figured they meant. I found a blue chest piece that was worse than the green I found which was lol to me. I have several swords I think I may have sold a green sword I found because it was crap compared go the blue and gold ones I hold. Perhaps that was a mistake.

I'll look again for a collapsed tower. Sorry I can't be specific at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Death March is some retarded horse poo poo. It offers nothing more than nigh unkillable damage sponge enemies that hit like Goku. I was just eviscerated by a pack of wolves because suddenly they have the hit points of a Leshen.

Edit: Haha, I thought I would be clever and lure the pack near a wandering Nilfgaard patrol: 3 footmen and a mounted soldier. Guards were mad I was running around with a sword out, they did nothing but brandish their weapons at me while I killed two wolves before being knocked out by the mounted guard. I woke up some time later with the message "You have lost coin" coming up as the guards walked away.

#thuglyfe

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 13, 2015