Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

jerichojx posted:

Game is telling me that I am replenishing my potion stock with Alcohest but I cannot seem to find alcohest in my inventory. Is it an invisible stock?

You can also replenish potions with any strong alcohol (dwarven spirits, etc) so you might just not have any alcohest right now. The inventory system is a bit of a mess though, and I wouldn't be surprised if you just missed your alcohest when you were looking for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
I just finished the main storyline so I'm free to run around doing whatever side quests look like fun. Are there any particularly fun/cool/interesting quest suggestions that I should make sure to hit up before calling it a wrap?

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

You can also replenish potions with any strong alcohol (dwarven spirits, etc) so you might just not have any alcohest right now. The inventory system is a bit of a mess though, and I wouldn't be surprised if you just missed your alcohest when you were looking for it.

It just used Dwarven Spirits for me. Who sells these strong alcohols?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Taverns mostly. Honestly if you loot poo poo fairly often, you will literally never run out of strong alcohol. I never bought a single alcohest or equivalent for the entire game but my surplus was constantly growing, not shrinking, even though I topped off constantly. You get a poo poo ton of alcohol from random loot drops and containers.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Speaking of booze where is the Cherry Cordial? i need it to upgrade half a dozen things and have yet to see one

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Antares posted:

Speaking of booze where is the Cherry Cordial? i need it to upgrade half a dozen things and have yet to see one
Inn/barkeeps have them, the Inn at the Four Corners in Velen and the one in Oxenfurt for example.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Randomzx posted:

Seriously the Witcher 3's writing got really messy and rushed near the end. Especially since it started making up and contradicting what the white frost really is, and forgotten why the Wild Hunt needed Ciri in the first place (it was extremely difficult to travel between worlds and they could only reliably do it by sending their spectral image instead of physical bodies, thus they need Ciri's power and bloodline to create the gate they need to invade). Then again they've also forget to characterize what the wild hunt was really about and what kind of people they really are.

There's a more indepth discussion of the writing's weakness in this thread.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/46571-Why-the-main-narrative-in-the-last-third-of-the-game-is-a-bad-hot-mess-major-spoilers!!!

Comments on the wild hunt:

The Wild Hunt don't have a problem with travelling between worlds. They have a problem with travelling between worlds en masse. Their navigators have the ability to move the Nafalgar and small strike teams; but what Eredin wants is the ability to move tens of thousands of soldiers and later the entirety of the Aen Elle to the Continent and take it over because he believes that world will succumb to the White Frost later than the Aen Elle's existing world will. Presumably he intends to keep the Aen Elle moving between worlds like this forever, trying to stay a step ahead of it. That's why Avallac'h says Eredin succumbed to his terror of the Frost; instead of coming up with a way to fight it, he only cares about a way to run from it as long as he can.

Comments on the white frost:

Actually I agree that if there's a weakness in the writing it's that for the ultimate challenge Ciri has to overcome the White Frost really isn't elaborated on enough. We know it's a world ending ice age; we run through the aftermath of a world destroyed by it; and Avallac'h tells us it will eventually spread to all worlds. But none of that explains it's origin, purpose, why it's a glowing sphere in an ice field somewhere, or how Ciri specifically can stop it beyond "she has the MacGuffin Magic". It's not really built up enough.

And comments on that link:

Basically the only thing I even party concur with there is his agreement that the White Frost needed more development. Otherwise, frankly, everything he complains about is nitpicking, or complaining something has been changed from the books (which sort of happens when you are changing the medium for a story) or simple pedantry. "Guys it doesn't make any sense for Ciri to become a Witcher in one of the endings because here is a checklist of Witcher traits that she doesn't have" Forgot about the incredible magic powers, I guess. Not like they get a lot of focus in the story.

Even the things he makes a fair argument about don't even have close to the negative impact he thinks that they do.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

Taverns mostly. Honestly if you loot poo poo fairly often, you will literally never run out of strong alcohol. I never bought a single alcohest or equivalent for the entire game but my surplus was constantly growing, not shrinking, even though I topped off constantly. You get a poo poo ton of alcohol from random loot drops and containers.

This. I've been running around with somewhere on the order of around two hundred bottles of Dwarven Spirit and even more Alcohest and the only alcohol I've paid for are the ones you need to craft White Gull and a couple of others.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Randomzx posted:

Seriously the Witcher 3's writing got really messy and rushed near the end. Especially since it started making up and contradicting what the white frost really is, and forgotten why the Wild Hunt needed Ciri in the first place (it was extremely difficult to travel between worlds and they could only reliably do it by sending their spectral image instead of physical bodies, thus they need Ciri's power and bloodline to create the gate they need to invade). Then again they've also forget to characterize what the wild hunt was really about and what kind of people they really are.

There's a more indepth discussion of the writing's weakness in this thread.

http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/46571-Why-the-main-narrative-in-the-last-third-of-the-game-is-a-bad-hot-mess-major-spoilers!!!

Haven't read this yet but your summary pretty much, uh sums up how I felt about it. Human stories that connect you to the setting give way to macguffin hunts and weird, rushed, poorly explained exposition about interdimensional space elves. It's not bad by the standards of videogame writing but it's kind of a letdown after the first 2/3rds of the game.

In other news I really should've replayed the previous games (or at least 2) before playing this; in my struggle to remember the exact events of the second game I said I killed Letho (because I remembered him being a Bad Nasty Man) but then I remembered he was actually kind of a baller and I'd like to have met him under better circumstances. oops

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 14, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Yeah I didn't really like the way the game ended, especially the part where Ciri goes to fight the magical white glowy thing that I guess represents the scientific concept of an ice age in the middle of a blizzard. And they didn't even show anything (though, really, what would happen if they did? Would she stab the glowy thing? :iiam: ) so it felt like it was just an excuse to make it unclear whether she survived.

The characters are very well written all throughout, but a few of the ending things are a little weird or unfulfilling (like how Reason of State ends - that one felt cheap to me). I also feel like they didn't do enough with Avellac'h and, to a lesser extent, the non love interest sorceresses. The ending stuff felt a little abrupt compared to how well paced and thorough the act 1 stuff was. Act 2 was stronger on the whole as well.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Letho is kind of a terrible person, I'm surprised so many people let him go in 2.

Also, killing him is a way more satisfying ending to that game after everything he put you through.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Anyone else experience a bug where you try to use signs and just get a "You cannot do that now" message? I've tried fast travel, meditation, restarting the game but it won't go away. I guess I'll load an earlier save but still annoying.

e: just found a fix for it - apparently if a cutscene begins and you're standing in a dimeterium bomb's cloud you can get locked out of using signs. So you just need to throw another one and walk through it, problem solved.

el oso fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 14, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hopping on Roach, using Axii on her and then hopping back off will also fix it apparently. Still no permanent fix for the "you already have this item" bug re: mutagens and so on besides dropping the relevant ingredients and picking them back up and such, which is very annoying!

edit: Apparently using Axii on Roach only fixes it if you can actually use the signs in the first place though, I guess. Basically just use Axii on Roach if you can and it'll fix sign-related issues.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 14, 2015

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
So the master alchemist I met in Skellige only had the recipe for a random alchemy ingredient precursor for sale, yet the random druid nearby sold me ALL the recipes for the superior potions :psyduck:

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Whew narrowly avoided the bad ending by one hidden trigger. Glad I did that snowball fight or it would have been a real bummer :smith:
Gonna wait with a second playthrough for the Enhanced Edition with 300% more ending slides and DLC though. At least Dijkstra did not disappoint.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Gwent is pretty cool, but who makes Gwent cards? What is stopping random peasants and barkeeps from creating their own Gwent cards? When is the Skellige Deck DLC coming???

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Another thing about the political situation post-game:

Slaying Radovid and Dijkstra brought an ending slide telling me that "deprived of Radovid's tactical genius, the Redianian army was no match for Nilfgard", and then something about the complete annexation of Redania and the restoration of Temeria as a vassal kingdom. It also seems that if either of them remains alive, Nilfgard is routed and completely pushed out of the North. Question is: why does the Redanian army evaporate completely if their king and the usurper are dead? Considering that they have the river as a natural defensive feature, it would perhaps make more sense to have the situation end with a stalemate where Redania remains in control of the north bank and Temeria is restored as a buffer state. And if Nilfgard takes over all of Redania, why should they bother to keep their promise to make Temeria an autonomous island in the annexed territories?

Kopijeger fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 14, 2015

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Letho is kind of a terrible person, I'm surprised so many people let him go in 2.

Also, killing him is a way more satisfying ending to that game after everything he put you through.

Yeah, I seem to remember killing him (which from what I remember I more or less stand by) but I would've liked to have seen him for curiosity's sake.

I've now read that forum post; pretty much agree with it wholesale apart from the 'ciri story needs more sexual abuse to be believable' angle. I particularly liked how he reflected my point about the battle of Kaer Morhen being far more impactful than the ending in all respects. I also defo agree with the moment you find Ciri in the hut being one of the best moments in the game. He's right in that Eredin is almost completely uncharacterised too - the character exists in an awkward position where could work as a marauding threat looming over your head throughout the game but he's absent for vast portions of it - that destroyed village you encounter early on in Velen makes a definite impression and we could've used more of those moments to truly establish him as a threat. Conversely he could work as a believable villain- his motivation to escape his dying world by breaking through to the witcher world is understandable, and a fair bit of screentime is given to establishing that his world a real society and not just cartoon hell. But that doesn't work either as he's just not given enough screentime.

It seems as if a significant amount of effort was misspent on STAKES and SPECTACLE and SCALE, yet those all feel larger if they're more realistic and consistent.

sauer kraut posted:

Whew narrowly avoided the bad ending by one hidden trigger. Glad I did that snowball fight or it would have been a real bummer :smith:
Gonna wait with a second playthrough for the Enhanced Edition with 300% more ending slides and DLC though. At least Dijkstra did not disappoint.

If I'd known those were triggers for the good ending while playing my heart would've probably hardened against them far more than it did. What strange criteria to base an ending on anyway, where the quality depends on your levels of... whimsy? That forum post has a point in saying that there's a very loose definition of 'good' in these situations compared to what the game thinks it is, but I guess you can fudge it as 'Making Ciri Feel Better About You And The World In A Family Friendly Way So She Gets Determined And Fights The White Frost More Betterer (Coming Soon To Prima Official Game Guides)'

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 14, 2015

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Generic Monk posted:

Yeah, I seem to remember killing him (which from what I remember I more or less stand by) but I would've liked to have seen him for curiosity's sake.

I've now read that forum post; pretty much agree with it wholesale apart from the 'ciri story needs more sexual abuse to be believable' angle. I particularly liked how he reflected my point about the battle of Kaer Morhen being far more impactful than the ending in all respects. I also defo agree with the moment you find Ciri in the hut being one of the best moments in the game. He's right in that Eredin is almost completely uncharacterised too - the character exists in an awkward position where could work as a marauding threat looming over your head throughout the game but he's absent for vast portions of it - that destroyed village you encounter early on in Velen makes a definite impression and we could've used more of those moments to truly establish him as a threat. Conversely he could work as a believable villain- his motivation to escape his dying world by breaking through to the witcher world is understandable, and a fair bit of screentime is given to establishing that his world a real society and not just cartoon hell. But that doesn't work either as he's just not given enough screentime.

It seems as if a significant amount of effort was misspent on STAKES and SPECTACLE and SCALE, yet those all feel larger if they're more realistic and consistent.

The guy has a raspy, gravelly voice, his armor is a cool skeleton lich monster and he looks like a weird pasty zombie. What more do you want.

Nah, I understand what you mean. Woulda been nice to have some more moments with the Hunt loving up things in the world in general.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

sauer kraut posted:

I'm not near that point yet but is that the one where you have to choose between the snowball fight and drinking with the boys? If so I may make a save beforehand, do the latter to watch it because I've heard it's awesome, then reload the save and do the former.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Just a quick question: I picked the difficulty above story and board (Can't remember right now). Can I just melee with occasional spells the whole thing, because I really don't like crafting/alchemy mechanics. Is that necessary to beat the game?

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

CitrusFrog posted:

I'm not near that point yet but is that the one where you have to choose between the snowball fight and drinking with the boys? If so I may make a save beforehand, do the latter to watch it because I've heard it's awesome, then reload the save and do the former.

drinking with the boys happens beforehand and is great. i think it's something to do with inviting her to have a drink

Tae posted:

Just a quick question: I picked the difficulty above story and board (Can't remember right now). Can I just melee with occasional spells the whole thing, because I really don't like crafting/alchemy mechanics. Is that necessary to beat the game?

You can pretty much ignore the crafting and alchemy if you like (though you'll likely need to use some potions and bombs as you go through the game you won't outright need to really touch either of the crafting systems). I hate crafting systems too but I've found this game to be less grindy than most; you'll pick up a fair amount of stuff as you explore anyway so you'll generally have materials so it's worth a quick scroll through when you sell stuff just to see if there's anything that you have the materials to craft. If there's something you want the merchant probably has the materials in stock to make up the difference anyway. Same with alchemy; it's worth a scroll through when you're pottering about in the menus to see if you can make some new/upgraded stuff. I pretty much spent as much time crafting as I did selling items (which isn't very long at all since staring at numbers in menus isn't that fun.)

In short unless you're amazeballs at the game you'll likely need to use the odd potion but you don't NEED to craft any. Does seem like it makes the harder difficulties more manageable though.

Generic Monk fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 14, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Generic Monk posted:

In other news I really should've replayed the previous games (or at least 2) before playing this; in my struggle to remember the exact events of the second game I said I killed Letho (because I remembered him being a Bad Nasty Man) but then I remembered he was actually kind of a baller and I'd like to have met him under better circumstances. oops

Same. Later I remembered he had my favorite lines and voice acting. :downs:

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Moridin920 posted:

Same. Later I remembered he had my favorite lines and voice acting. :downs:

My strongest memory of him (being as I more or less haven't played the game since it came out) was him absolutely kicking my arse repeatedly at the end of Act 1 before they patched it to make it less ridiculoulsly difficult, which I think soured me toward him a tad.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Letho helped out Geralt a lot (i.e. helping him save Yennefer and fighting the Hunt, saving Triss if you save Saskia in Iorveth path) and Letho had no intention of framing Geralt, Geralt was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. He also had a reasonable motivation, he was rightfully worried that the Northern Kings would eventually start persecuting witchers once they got down with the mages. I actually liked that I felt that I had no reason at all to fight Letho at the end of 2.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I really think the ending needed to talk about the future of Kaer Morhen and the institution of the witchers as a whole after Vesemir died. I mean, the only thing I got was me talking to Eskel about where he was going to winter and him saying he's not going to come to Kaer Morhen anymore. At the same time, after that conversation his profile updates saying he DOES stay at Kaer Morhen. Granted, I didn't really do any of the Kaer Morhen side quests that might've explained poo poo but that is still a major part of the ending left out.

Speaking of endings, does anybody have the list of crucial choices you make that determine the ending you get?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Accordion Man posted:

Letho helped out Geralt a lot (i.e. helping him save Yennefer and fighting the Hunt, saving Triss if you save Saskia in Iorveth path) and Letho had no intention of framing Geralt, Geralt was just at the wrong place at the wrong time. He also had a reasonable motivation, he was rightfully worried that the Northern Kings would eventually start persecuting witchers once they got down with the mages. I actually liked that I felt that I had no reason at all to fight Letho at the end of 2.

Letho is also dumber than dirt and makes anything worse wherever he goes. He's a danger to himself and others.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Broken Cog posted:

Letho is also dumber than dirt and makes anything worse wherever he goes. He's a danger to himself and others.

He's literally a no-neck thug that reminds me of an inner city Manchester "hard case"

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Letho is like an absurdly dangerous teddy bear with a teenager's mind.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum
Why can't we name our save files so particular files are easy to find?

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

Broken Cog posted:

That's what Sile thought and see how he screwed her over?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Why can't we name our save files so particular files are easy to find?

You can. Just write the date and time of the save file on a piece of paper, then write any name you want. Though for you maybe a picture would be easier?

Randomzx
Jul 26, 2007

Generic Monk posted:

I'm not talking about reading just one forum post about the story though, that's why I mentioned a 'discussion', since people are debating about many points in that thread too.

There was also some point from somewhere that mentioned that the main writer that was responsible for a lot of the political angles in the previous games was working on Cyberpunk 2077's writing, which was why in the Witcher 3 is more focused about monsters' impact and high fantasy. Apparently it is likely it is also the reason why the politics was so simplified.

Randomzx fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jun 14, 2015

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I just stopped bothering to overwrite saves, makes it so I don't accidentally lose one.

It would be nice to be able to name them though. Consoles hosed us again :argh:

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Broken Cog posted:

Letho is far smarter than people give him credit for. The powerful people in the setting underestimating him is what quickened the demise of entire nations.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Randomzx posted:

I'm not talking about reading just one forum post about the story though, that's why I mentioned a 'discussion', since people are debating about many points in that thread too.

I was just remarking on a few points in that post that reflected my thoughts about the ending, as well as a few that crystallised stuff I was suspecting. Was mainly going on about 'I Have Now Read The Post' because I wanted to bang on about the ending before reading it.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Vanderdeath posted:

Letho is far smarter than people give him credit for. The powerful people in the setting underestimating him is what quickened the demise of entire nations.

The sheer idiocy of it was him trusting Emhyr to actually stay true to his word about anything. The only reason he fooled people like Sile or Philippa is that they were basically blinded by their ambition, and didn't consider that he was working for Nilfgaard.
He only fooled people because they didn't underestimate him enough.

Not to mention that his motivations are entirely egoistic, and he has little to no regard for anyone else.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Arglebargle III posted:

You can. Just write the date and time of the save file on a piece of paper, then write any name you want. Though for you maybe a picture would be easier?

lol its like a youtube comment

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Just beat it. Steam clocks my playtime in at 100 hours with no restarts and most of the side activities sans Gwent finished.

For the record my ending was Ciri becomes a witcheress, Nilfgaard conquers the north and makes it a vassal state, and Geralt runs off with Yen.

I didn't even realize looking at the spoilers that you can make Ciri talk to her dad. Does that happen right before the final battle or is that after the fight after Kaer Morhen?

My one question that I feel wasn't answered/justified very well in game: Why did the Wild Hunt take Yen and Geralt in the first place? Surely the elves have their own mages they don't need to steal away filthy human ones. It makes even less sense to steal away Geralt because he doesn't really bring anything except "Can hit stuff with a sword but good"

Edit: The one thing that made me squeal in glee was when I first started the game, loaded in my W2 save and found I still had that ridiculous tattoo from the previous game.

Edit 2: Now that I think about it I got another endgame question: The game seems to want you to choose between Yen and Triss for the duration of the time they are together in the plot. The other sorceresses gossip about it, it's a big plot point when you first get to Kaer Morhen with Uma. Is it possible to have a run where you say "gently caress alla yall" and just peace off solo? If so, I assume it's meant to be the "bad" choice in the ending?

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jun 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I hope I'm not the only person that does this when they blow up monster nests.

edit: Another, more stationary one:

I seriously have like 20 of these