Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I forgot to charge my water bottle, and I forgot to drink anything for several weeks. Now I'm dead. Way to go HidrateMe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Unlike many crowd funding's I am not selling a product, instead I am asking for your participation in a design experiment.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Everything about this picture is amazing.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

SupSuper posted:

Everything about this picture is amazing.

none of those options are things I would say upon meeting that abomination.

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Crust First posted:

Use the power of Tesla's ghost to extend your cellphone battery.

My favourite part of this is the how're they're too afraid of Elon Musk's lawyers to actually use the word 'Tesla' at any point.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

"There is absolutely no risk with this product, since you are participating in and contributing to an evolutionary (revolutionary) process."

Aren't those antonyms? :psyduck:

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
In other news, Dracula's Kickstarter ended. 5.5 million American dollars. Broke the previous record for funds raised.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's become the highest funded game in Kickstarter history, I believe.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Waffleman_ posted:

It's become the highest funded game in Kickstarter history, I believe.

It's the highest funded video game by about $1.3 million.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Volcott posted:

In other news, Dracula's Kickstarter ended. 5.5 million American dollars. Broke the previous record for funds raised.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/iga/bloodstained-ritual-of-the-night

I forgot to back it because I thought I'd already done so. :negative:

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

Evil Fluffy posted:

I forgot to back it because I thought I'd already done so. :negative:

Don't worry! There's a Slacker Backer store for people just like you!

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Don't worry! You'll be able to play it at the exact same time as everyone else, and whether or not you (or anyone else) gave money to the kickstarter was irrelevant because they already had a team and a publisher.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I liked this story:
http://www.kgw.com/story/money/business/2015/06/11/feds-ftc-kickstarter-gofundme-scams/71070848/

Classic scam in which the creator used $55000 of the money to relocate to Portland and also making his monthly rent payments.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

etalian posted:

I liked this story:
http://www.kgw.com/story/money/business/2015/06/11/feds-ftc-kickstarter-gofundme-scams/71070848/

Classic scam in which the creator used $55000 of the money to relocate to Portland and also making his monthly rent payments.

quote:

...the settlement prohibits him from lying about future crowdfunding campaigns.
Oh. Well, at least there's no way he could ever do this again.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The Gentleman's Single-Use Monocle.

5,093 backers pledged $127,155 to help bring this project to life.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

CJacobs posted:

The Gentleman's Single-Use Monocle.

5,093 backers pledged $127,155 to help bring this project to life.

There's a hell of lot more steampunk nerds than I thought, but I don't get what's so "awful kickstarter" about it. It seems like a straight forward, somewhat amusing novelty item. Unless this is a "I don't like steampunks, so they aren't allowed to have any fun" situation.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

flosofl posted:

Oh. Well, at least there's no way he could ever do this again.

Obama should make a special jail for kickstarter scammers, it will also have bubba to keep them company.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

flosofl posted:

There's a hell of lot more steampunk nerds than I thought, but I don't get what's so "awful kickstarter" about it. It seems like a straight forward, somewhat amusing novelty item. Unless this is a "I don't like steampunks, so they aren't allowed to have any fun" situation.

When would you need a disposable monocle. Even for a joke.

The entire premise is "I need to make a joke about being sophisticated but just making a monocle motion with my hand is not enough. If only I had a one-time use monocle." The times where any given human being will say this is precisely 0. Sure, this incredibly niche thing is definitely worth 125,000 dollars of investments.

edit: rephrased

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 00:53 on Jun 15, 2015

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:

CJacobs posted:

When would you need a disposable monocle. Even for a joke.

The entire premise is "I need to make a joke about being sophisticated but just making a monocle motion with my hand is not enough. If only I had a one-time use monocle." The times where any given human being will say this is precisely 0. Sure, this incredibly niche thing is definitely worth 125,000 dollars of investments.

edit: rephrased

It's based off a webcomic strip I think

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

Therion posted:

It's based off a webcomic strip I think

I mean, since the creator of the kickstarter is also the guy who made that comic...

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I love that kickstarter because the joke is definitely on the guy owning the monocle. Pledging is essentially saying "yes, I want to be the loving idiot in the comic".

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FlyinPingu posted:

I mean, since the creator of the kickstarter is also the guy who made that comic...

Also he deserves to die of any possible cause.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

flosofl posted:

You don't understand! Other people are spending money in a way I don't agree with for a joke I don't think is funny! This makes me very angry, and the world must know of my anger. It's obviously a scam, you see, because I disagree with the joke and necessity of the product. If I agreed with it then it would be legitimate, but I disapprove! Therefore, I must register my disapproval for these commercial ventures in the SomethingAwful.com Forums where I have paid :10bux:.

I'm totally not jealous that I haven't created a product other people want to buy for that kind of money. Definitely not jealous, and I could totally do it myself. I am an upstanding paragon of virtue, though, and therefore I will not. I am not jealous. Not at all.

ErIog has a new favorite as of 04:18 on Jun 15, 2015

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
Didn't the creator of the comic themselves call it a terrible idea and all that?

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!
Unlikely, as he was the one who created the Kickstarter.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Cheez posted:

Didn't the creator of the comic themselves call it a terrible idea and all that?

I'm fairly sure yes. I seem to recall something about his girlfriend calling him and/or the idea retarded, And him agreeing but doing it anyways because

Kickstarter FAQ posted:

WHYYYY?
Because it makes us laugh. Jesus, do you need a better reason?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Zach Weiner started a conference based entirely on bad, ad-hoc misinterpretations of existing scientific theories. He is entirely capable of creating something stupid if his fans will pay him to do so. That's what he does.

edit- I can't differentiate zach and the dinosaurscomic dude anymore, they're basically the same person right?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Cheez posted:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Until you posted that I thought he was making normal condoms in a funny packaging. Because that is the only way this would have made sense.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I'm on no way surprised that internet nerds gave this guy over $100,000 to continue beating a dead comedy horse.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

ErIog posted:

You don't understand! Other people are spending money in a way I don't agree with for a joke I don't think is funny! This makes me very angry, and the world must know of my anger. It's obviously a scam, you see, because I disagree with the joke and necessity of the product. If I agreed with it then it would be legitimate, but I disapprove! Therefore, I must register my disapproval for these commercial ventures in the SomethingAwful.com Forums where I have paid :10bux:.

I'm totally not jealous that I haven't created a product other people want to buy for that kind of money. Definitely not jealous, and I could totally do it myself. I am an upstanding paragon of virtue, though, and therefore I will not. I am not jealous. Not at all.

How many monocles did you buy?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'm on no way surprised that internet nerds gave this guy over $100,000 to continue beating a dead comedy horse.

Reminder that people donated eighty times as much to the Oatmeal for their card barely a game. At least someone may get a laugh out of the monocle.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

ErIog posted:

Project harder you petulant rear end in a top hat.

Dire Chinchilla
Mar 27, 2013

Zybourne Clock posted:

Don't be a prude, buy our special underpants that send out a tweet whenever you're on your period. Tweet your family, tweet your boss. Support our kickstarter and we'll send you a pair of clean and fresh panties. (Sensor not included)

I thought it was gross enough as an oversharing thing, but then I got to this:

quote:

Apart from modern, Westernized women, Periodshare is for their boyfriends/partners/husbands, their bosses, or eventually future suitors, looking for fertile women.
:staredog:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I don't think anybody is funding the kickstarter for the dumb silly pun item for any reason other than giving money to a guy whose comics they like and getting a funny pun item in return

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jedit posted:

Reminder that people donated eighty times as much to the Oatmeal for their card barely a game. At least someone may get a laugh out of the monocle.

Yeah that's exactly what I mean, I'm surprised he didn't raise more money.

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't think anybody is funding the kickstarter for the dumb silly pun item for any reason other than giving money to a guy whose comics they like and getting a funny pun item in return

Several hundred people spent more than $50 on it which seems to me like they were slightly more than casually invested in it but less than 100 pledged $100 or more so people definitely didn't go apeshit over it. Well, apart from that one guy who backed the $1,000 reward tier which earned him 200 monocles and a personal letter from the creator "advising you to seek greater moderation." :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Dire Chinchilla posted:

I thought it was gross enough as an oversharing thing, but then I got to this:

:staredog:
Because in the year of 2015 the first priority when looking for a partner is obviously that she's physically ready to have a child RIGHT NOW. :catstare:

The whole thing just reeks of being an idea of someone who has nothing but theoretical experience with women, relationships or even basic human interac... Wait, I just realized. The creator is an alien and the device is actually an alien mind control device! :tinfoil:

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Collateral Damage posted:

Because in the year of 2015 the first priority when looking for a partner is obviously that she's physically ready to have a child RIGHT NOW. :catstare:

The whole thing just reeks of being an idea of someone who has nothing but theoretical experience with women, relationships or even basic human interac... Wait, I just realized. The creator is an alien and the device is actually an alien mind control device! :tinfoil:

As far as I have understood, it's not if she is ready right now, it's that she is as far from ready as can possibly be. It's telling everyone that she is bleeding, not that she is ready to make a child.

Or have I misunderstood how this... Product (?) works?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Dunno-Lars posted:

As far as I have understood, it's not if she is ready right now, it's that she is as far from ready as can possibly be. It's telling everyone that she is bleeding, not that she is ready to make a child.

Or have I misunderstood how this... Product (?) works?

It's letting people know that she's fertile but not currently pregnant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Non Serviam posted:

How many monocles did you buy?

lol post ur tumblr amirite