Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
the original iphone was simply poo poo tbqh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

it didnt get good until the 4. maybe 3gs, whenever they stopped the plastic cracking up.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
the lack of 3g in the original was unforgivable tbh

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

the battery on the iPhone OG lasted for-fukken-ever, tho

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

minivanmegafun posted:

the battery on the iPhone OG lasted for-fukken-ever, tho

pretty easy when it did nothing and was unusable on cell data so you had to use it on lower power drain wifi

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

yeah p. much

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

qirex posted:

I had a Nokia e71 and it was a good phone

iphone think pieces written before the app store should be given a bit of a pass IMO, not enough to excuse that smugstorm above but in context they're slightly more forgivable

used a Nokia e71 for testing roaming networks it owned and was basically as close to fuckin spec as you could get. nokia also makes (made??) really solid cell network poo poo but huawei probably has crushed them into he ground by now

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

qirex posted:

I had a Nokia e71 and it was a good phone

iphone think pieces written before the app store should be given a bit of a pass IMO, not enough to excuse that smugstorm above but in context they're slightly more forgivable

the iphone was pretty lovely until the 3GS and IOS 3

E:F;B

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

ahmeni posted:

nokia also makes (made??) really solid cell network poo poo but huawei probably has crushed them into he ground by now

they still do, and they're about to buy alcatel-lucent lol

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

mishaq posted:

they still do, and they're about to buy alcatel-lucent lol

lol those poor bastards have no idea what they're buying into

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Nintendo Kid posted:

the original iphone was simply poo poo tbqh

the original iphone was an incredibly cool tech demo

i have nfc why they thought they could make it a product

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

The Kins posted:

reuters is reporting that blackberry is rumored to be considering throwing its metaphorical hands up, going "gently caress it" and just flat-out releasing an android

so i can definitely imagine a world where BB builds a business on managing android/ios devices. that's a pretty crowded market, but BB already has a lot of advantages over the incumbents.

what i don't get at all is why they would want to continue to make hardware.

• every android maker except samsung loses money
  • blackberry hasn't delivered a competitive hardware device in ten years
  • blackberry has no special advantages over incumbents in the hardware market
  • blackberry as a brand has no cachet with consumers

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

how the gently caress can blackberry still afford to sponsor mercedes f1

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
is everybody itt reading Sean Silcoff's book? I got it for my dad, pro-tier father's day present

follow-up, is it good?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
read it (or at least read the second half), found it frustrating with its lack of analysis as to why rim kept making wrong moves. too busy getting in all the stuff the laserdilz and sillyballs told him (which was valuable and im glad he got those guys on the record for posterity) to really try and form an explanation as to why rim fell apart the way it did

a couple things i noticed

- holy shitballs was the storm a disaster, and entirely because laserdilz insisted that no one likes typing on plain flat glass

- their os was a disaster that was a decade old when the iphone started to bite and a complete mash of spaghetti java code. apparently there was no long term roadmap or plan for the os other than adding new features to it every year. id liken it to apple pushing macos7 out there to face win3 and win95 and win 98 except apple at least was trying internally to improve the os (copland, pink, taligent, etc). nobody at rim considered moving off of java or maybe rearchitecting some things or planning for the day that someone might want more than once device bound to a single user id until it was far too late. just a spectacular lack of technical foresight

- given a last chance to impress verizon with a 4g phone laserdilz goes into their big yearly meeting and lectures them about how 4g is dumb and unnecessary and really theyre idiots if they build out 4g towers and no we dont have any 4g phones to show you didnt i just get done explaining how dumb 4g was? note that this was after sticking verizon with the storm and storm 2 and with iphone and android devouring rims marketshare

- all those marketing things we made fun of in yospos (amateur hour is over, you should have waited, etc) were even more catastrophic behind the scenes

- pretty much everything you could imagine going wrong with an enterprise company pivoting to sell to consumers happened

- man who could have guessed that having a split corporate governance with two ceos would prove unworkable in the long run? it worked fine when rim was soaring, but when they hit a rough patch it turned into a total nightmare. over and over rim would bring in top dollar talent to fix things only to have them float in limbo and then quit because their authority was unclear and they werent sure who they were ultimately responsible to

- the contrast to jobs second tenure at apple was really striking

a solid read but very much as a long magazine article or "first draft of history" thing

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

FMguru posted:

read it (or at least read the second half), found it frustrating with its lack of analysis as to why rim kept making wrong moves. too busy getting in all the stuff the laserdilz and sillyballs told him (which was valuable and im glad he got those guys on the record for posterity) to really try and form an explanation as to why rim fell apart the way it did

a couple things i noticed

- holy shitballs was the storm a disaster, and entirely because laserdilz insisted that no one likes typing on plain flat glass

in my work at an e-waste recycler, I've seen dozens upon dozens of Storms, and every single one had a broken screen click mechanism

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

FMguru posted:

- all those marketing things we made fun of in yospos (amateur hour is over, you should have waited, etc) were even more catastrophic behind the scenes

lol, good

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

graph posted:

lol, good
sillyballs had given his marketing team no clear indication what the playbook was for (enterprise? personal use?) so they were staring at a blank whiteboard four weeks before the thing was supposed to launch

sillyballs did spend an entire day wandering around dublin with bono coming up with slogans like "blackberry loves u2" so that was something

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I need to read this

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

playbook was also a poo poo name for something that they then turned around and tried to pitch as being for serious work

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Thanks Ants posted:

playbook was also a poo poo name for something that they then turned around and tried to pitch as being for serious work

no u see a :airquote: "Playbook" is a book of attack and defense strategies used by coaches in America™'s :patriot: most serious business of professional sports that is football :911: where you have to give 110% cause This Ain't No Game™ and professional American businessmen are going to flock to it as they see themselves as the playmakers leading their teams to success in the Free Market™ with Tools Not Toys™

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
no it was generally okay as a concept, a thing you keep all your business plans in for your endless middle management meetings, it was just a turd of a product

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

1024x600 for $500 in tyool 2011 :laffo:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

couldn't use email without a rim phone :hurr:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Mister Macys posted:

no u see a :airquote: "Playbook" is a book of attack and defense strategies used by coaches in America™'s :patriot: most serious business of professional sports that is football :911: where you have to give 110% cause This Ain't No Game™ and professional American businessmen are going to flock to it as they see themselves as the playmakers leading their teams to success in the Free Market™ with Tools Not Toys™

remember the press conference where rim announced anger bird for playbook. lmao

Mister Macys posted:

couldn't use email without a rim phone :hurr:

deep, deep in rim's infrastructure is a hardcoded 1-1 sql relationship and no one will ever be able to fix it without burning everything down

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Mister Macys posted:

dual cores

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

the same one they stuck in their Z10 & Q10 two and a half years later

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Mister Macys posted:

but it had FLASH! aaaaaaaahhh

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

eric posted:

but it had FLASH! aaaaaaaahhh
not just flash (ah-ahhhhh!) but rim went with adobe air as the main development platform for the playbook. you know that platform with no marketshare and no developer community? yeah that one

which led to my favorite sentence in the book:

quote:

Soon after PlayBook launched, Adobe would drop support for AIR on mobile altogether.
the extent to which rim hosed itself out of business is really breathtaking

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

the lack of 3g in the original was unforgivable tbh
nah it actually delegated the bandwidth between devices naturally without any sort of artificial throttle

there was no way for the att's network to handle the amount of users if the original iphone had 3g, even when 2008/2009 rolled around it was still common to see that you have full 5 bars of 3g but nothing getting through at all

funny thing was that unlike verizon's 1x/evdo-3g, data and voice separation, 3g = data and voice on att's network and the amount of iphone users with 3g/3gs clogged att's data network and simultaneously nuked att's voice/text network too

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

FMguru posted:

*you should of waited

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

DaNzA posted:

nah it actually delegated the bandwidth between devices naturally without any sort of artificial throttle

there was no way for the att's network to handle the amount of users if the original iphone had 3g, even when 2008/2009 rolled around it was still common to see that you have full 5 bars of 3g but nothing getting through at all

funny thing was that unlike verizon's 1x/evdo-3g, data and voice separation, 3g = data and voice on att's network and the amount of iphone users with 3g/3gs clogged att's data network and simultaneously nuked att's voice/text network too

i am quite sure that the absolutely miniscule amount of original iphones sold would not overload the network.

Mister Macys posted:

but the 2011 ipad (ipad 2) also had 1024x768?? there wasn't a ~retina~ ipad til 2012

1024x600 on a much smaller screen (7 inch vs 9.7 inch) was one of the few things the playbook was not hosed up in.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nintendo Kid posted:

but the 2011 ipad (ipad 2) also had 1024x768?? there wasn't a ~retina~ ipad til 2012

1024x600 on a much smaller screen (7 inch vs 9.7 inch) was one of the few things the playbook was not hosed up in.

I think Apple's much better text rendering probably made a difference in how those screens were perceived too.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Subjunctive posted:

I think Apple's much better text rendering probably made a difference in how those screens were perceived too.

no, the playbook's text looked great too, in no small part then because the ppi was a lot higher. just again, there was no reason to be looking at text on it because it was so useless, though.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

~Coxy posted:

*you should of waited

that was photoshopped :ssh:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nintendo Kid posted:

no, the playbook's text looked great too, in no small part then because the ppi was a lot higher. just again, there was no reason to be looking at text on it because it was so useless, though.

I remember commenting that text looked weird on the Playbook, but I don't remember the details. I wasn't an iPad user at the time, though, so it's not much of a comparison.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

i am quite sure that the absolutely miniscule amount of original iphones sold would not overload the network.

$500 for a smaller screen, shittier spec, and a joke of an OS

it's not like it was a Sarnsung and could cash in on its rep

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

Grimey Drawer
i never got to read the text on the playbook because of the two that came to our demo lab at telus for their debut one was completely defunct out of the box (the fun thing where the batteries decharged 100% at the warehouse) and the other required a massive update out of the box to even be functional and took way longer than the few hours they had setup for someone from blackberry to do the tour so they just showed videos of it on their laptop

something similar happened too with the storm launch party where the actual storm data connections didnt work at all and the ceo cracked a fit when the phone that would ~*propel them into the future*~ because we were still on cdma without the iphone was a complete piss

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

ahmeni posted:

(the fun thing where the batteries decharged 100% at the warehouse)

lmao i forgot

remember when a forums poster wrote a joke conversion app and rim did zero vetting and sent them a playbook anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

graph posted:

lmao i forgot

remember when a forums poster wrote a joke conversion app and rim did zero vetting and sent them a playbook anyway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DgbUBoxa48

• Locked thread