Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
the programmers I know who talk about .NET praise LINQ more than any other feature of it. My anecdote wins bitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

kalstrams posted:

by the way, what's up with go? saw today some article "why golang is doomed to succeed" and realised that i have no clue about it.

is it some new php or something?

it's only real selling point is that it's not java. java8 is better in just about every conceivable way but no one got twitter famous writing libraries for java

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

this is also a good demonstration of why rust is good

you get all of the cool features of haskell but you can actually program useful things in it

lol actually at this point in time the biggest rust downside is you can''t actually program useful things in it unless you like doing everything yourself without using libraries. haskell has a package on hackage for everything

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

fart simpson posted:

lol actually at this point in time the biggest rust downside is you can''t actually program useful things in it unless you like doing everything yourself without using libraries. haskell has a package on hackage for everything

yeah for sure but we'll see how it looks in 2 or 3 years

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
can I use rust on an msp430

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I'll start the compiler

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

alternate response: I'm the msp430 user ityool2015

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Bloody posted:

alternate response: I'm the msp430 user ityool2015

Its me

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

you know you can just use an arm

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
find me a cortex m0+ taht goes to 125c and draws less than 1 ma at 4 mhz and costs less than a buck

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
it;s me im the guy who is going to get stuck using an msp430 in AD 2015 because we're haggling over a dollar of bom cost in a product that will sell for like a grand

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
is there an ultra low power arm option? I hate TI and msp430s so much

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

our luxury division seems like it'd be fun to work for because their boms include like $75 for the owners manual and $200 for packaging

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

more like dICK posted:

st micros lowest marketed power draw for an idle mode is an order of magnitude above the msp's datasheet maximum

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

more like dICK posted:

depends on what you mean by low power. some of the new nxp m0+ chips have pretty good active mode power (useful if you want 'low power' because you're a 2-wire device on a loop), but i don't think any of them will beat an msp in applications where you ahve a low duty cycle and are in a sleep/hibernate mode most of the time squeezing a billion years of life from a coin cell or whatever

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
st micro is selling arm chips that have advertised power draw in the same general envelope as msp430

STM32L151 series: 300 nA standby, 214 microamps active
msp430 series: 500 nA standby, 195 microamps active

unsurprisingly they don't seem to be significantly faster than an msp430

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
do note i don't actually work with embedded anything i just felt like googling data sheets

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

agh I always forget about bom. we care about it literally never do its like not even on the bottom of my concerns list

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
EnergyMicro EFM32 is rly nice (but it has a 24-bit RTC. That's literally the worst thing I can say about it) but they got bought out by some other shitbird silicon manufacturer since I finished my masters so gently caress know what it's like now

also

Blotto Skorzany posted:

it;s me im the guy who is going to get stuck using an stm8 in AD 2015 because we're haggling over a dollar of bom cost in a product that will sell maybe 10,000 units and we had to buy a $10,000 IAR license to develop for it

(tbf though the stm8 actually isn't that bad. it's actually more or less 16-bit which means no colored pointers thank god)

e: oh god they got bought out by silabs :stonk:

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 14, 2015

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I wonder if we're ever going to get megabytes worth of on-chip SRAM for cheap because at that point you're an MPU away from getting Linux all over your "microcontroller" and that's gonna get real interesting real quick

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
isn't it the number of transistors that counts, and more ram = more transistors, therefore more expensive?

because then it will be forever cheaper to make mcs with as little memory as possible

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm reading some go source and it looks like it has some nice and easy ways of doing concurrency. I can see why people are picking the language up. it mostly makes me want to see c# available on linux sooner without mono fuckery.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

fleshweasel posted:

I'm reading some go source and it looks like it has some nice and easy ways of doing concurrency. I can see why people are picking the language up. it mostly makes me want to see c# available on linux sooner without mono fuckery.

go's concurrency is the good part

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

fleshweasel posted:

Without trying to start an operating systems debate, is c# really not available on Linux? I don't know much about the language but that seems pretty surprising to me, even if it is developed by Microsoft. What about OS X?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
there is mono, but it's not 100% compatible

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Wheany posted:

isn't it the number of transistors that counts, and more ram = more transistors, therefore more expensive?

because then it will be forever cheaper to make mcs with as little memory as possible

Yeah, but economies of scale pay a big part. People want more ram, so production goes up, so they can sell it for cheaper and enter the markets where price matters more, so production goes up, so the price comes down…

You eventually get to the point where two chips have the same price, but one has twice the ram.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Edison was a dick posted:

You eventually get to the point where two chips have the same price, but one has twice the ram.

yea, like an attiny88 is cheaper than a attiny48

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

VikingofRock posted:

Without trying to start an operating systems debate, is c# really not available on Linux? I don't know much about the language but that seems pretty surprising to me, even if it is developed by Microsoft. What about OS X?

until recently .net was closed source. mono is a clean(ish) room reimplementation, it lagged behind and was significantly slower in some ways (their TPL implementation was much worse) - MS occasionally contributed to the project but not that much, so it was usually behind by a revision or two

v recently, MS released .net as open source, paving the way for Linux/OS X implementations. it doesn't run there quite yet but it is now much "safer" to learn the language if you intend to develop for those platforms because the future is pretty clear

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
i tried using the brew mono package to build something, but importing another dll proved ridiculous and i gave up and used a VM

it's pretty easy to get a c# hello world up and running tho

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
java works on linux and osx just fine

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Mr Dog posted:

e: oh god they got bought out by silabs :stonk:

ahahahahahahaah

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
Go was invented by a company that got mad at Python while still being stuck on a 9-year old version of it.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Dessert Rose posted:

v recently, MS released .net as open source,

im the 36k lines of code garbage collector in a single source file
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/dotnet/coreclr/master/src/gc/gc.cpp

compuserved
Mar 20, 2006

Nap Ghost

Zlodo posted:

apparently the vim codebase is like this. files with multiple thousands of lines of code each

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

you sometimes see it in interpreter loops, but that GC is something special. (not that I've looked at the code to see how I'd split it up or anything.)

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Zlodo posted:

aren't they doing a machine translation of this to go soon? ~self hosting~

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Zlodo posted:

i keep finding new favorite bits
code:

#if 0
// POSSIBLE PERF TODO: right now we are not doing anything because we can't simply remove the flag. If it proves
// to be a perf problem, we can search in the current ro segs and see if any lands in this range and only
// remove the flag if none lands in this range.
#endif //0

pram
Jun 10, 2001
c# on linux will be legit when they port corefx, right now its useless. they're also rolling all this poo poo into mono

https://trello.com/b/vRPTMfdz/net-framework-integration-into-mono

my stepdads beer posted:

aren't they doing a machine translation of this to go soon? ~self hosting~

yes microsoft is rewriting the .net garbage collector in go

pram
Jun 10, 2001
although theres no date, it just says it will be on linux and osx in a few months. how can you even tell its all done?

https://github.com/dotnet/corefx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

pram posted:

yes microsoft is rewriting the .net garbage collector in go

But who garbage collects for the garbage collector?