Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Moridin920 posted:

wow thread is moving fast

For example GRRM said Garlan is in there for a reason not just willy nilly and he isn't in the show at all :shrug: show is the show books are the books

Yeah I don't see how what's happening here has any bearing on who the Pink Letter actually came from. None at all. The scenarios are totally different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

oh the broad strokes like aegon and the ironborn and sansa in the vale and any number of things that got changed or dropped entirely?

The people you're talking about didn't matter to the main plot, so, yes. They know where each main character will end up and plot them there on the show. The only way it will go off rails is if GRRM "changes his mind" out of spite due to the show beating the books. Snow is a main character.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Aegon was dropped because that subplot is insanely stupid.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
This season was all a massive shaggy dog story.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Zippy the Bummer posted:

I'm mainly sad I have to wait another year to find out something I don't already know. I started reading these books in my late teens, I'll be pushing 30 or beyond by the time I get the ending to this story. loving hell.

On the bright side, the creator won't see the ending to the story

Because he will die before the last book's released

Cloche
Mar 4, 2010

Darko posted:

The source material is only cinematic in the first book. Even the third, they had to make stretch. they have to completely leave the books in 2/4/5 to make them anywhere near watchable, really.

No, I think it's fine to make changes to present a story in a new medium. That's an absolute necessity for a good adaptation. It doesn't change the fact that the show's original material is absolute garbo that misses the mark really bad by any critical standard of writing. The only entertainment value that it provides is based on how adorably inept it is. (or if you're a turbonerd like me & like to admire the costumes/sets/direction/acting on its own merits, lotta talented people are involved in this)

Notice I didn't actually point out that it was bad based on its adherence to ~BOOK CANON~ or anything like that!!

Cloche fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jun 15, 2015

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Can we agree the Cersi's walk was at least done well?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I am my own best friend tonight I suppose.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

hemophilia posted:

It actually makes things more interesting and lets you do a lot more with a story. Game of Thrones and ASOIAF have never been a no-magic-zone story and disliking those elements is basically taking issue with the series on a fundamental level. You can't just wish the mystical stuff away, much as you might want. This isn't like, Rome or the Tudors or anything. It's a Fantasy show, set in a magical world with magical, impossible winters with dragons, green-seers, an assholes with plot-armor with an in-universe explanation that could only be magical.

I mean yes there are more possibilities in a show where you can always write your way out of trouble with magic but that doesn't really add more to a story. GRRM had to write Renly out once he figured out it would be inconvenient so bam, shadowbaby.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
On the bright side, this does mean the Winterfell Heart Tree is safe from Stannis "Rh'llor Hungers" Baratheon

^@ He didn't even have to use magic. GRRM could have just written Melisandre as a hypercompetent, non-magical assassin. I guess shadowbaby is more shocking which is all that matters

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Where was Yara?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Where was Yara?

The casting agency made a mistake.

Wallet Inspector
Jun 15, 2012

Jon's last word was Olly hahahahah

kater
Nov 16, 2010

a cop posted:

And where the poo poo is she to take them? Either the wall or riverlands, thats all they've got.

Didn't you hear Arya? The doom took the Riverlands and crossed off most of the people on her list.

But yeah, we've got Brienne, Pod, Davos, Sansa, Theon, and Ghost Jon all in the same place. They are going to get in a blue cart and go solve mysteries.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Wallet Inspector posted:

When you put it that way, lol

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

im gay posted:

Can we agree the Cersi's walk was at least done well?

There were only three good parts: the splatter death from the top of the castle, Arya killing Trant (not any of that poo poo that came after) and Cersi's walk. That's pretty much it. The rest was garbage. Hilarious garbage, but garbage still.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

In It For The Tank posted:

People who were excited about "When George told us about this" last week are in a difficult bind now. Does Stannis sacrifice Shireen or does he die at the Battle of Winterfell? He can't do both. Which story beat is true to the books? Are either of them? Find out next year (maybe).

At least going forward, I hope people now understand that the amount you can use the show to predict anything other than the broadest plot developments in the future books is basically zero.

In the books Mel has Shireen, unburned. She could burn her to resurrect Stannis or 'Azor Ahai' and end up bringing back Jon.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
I thought everything was done well except the ending. The walk of shame was very well done, Mereen was good, Sansa/Theon was good. Having my hopes soar by seeing Stannis roll up and realizing we'd actually get a Battle of Winterfell and then 30 seconds later realizing Stannis would lose said battle was kind of a bummer. But it made sense in context.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

As a book reader I have to say, the Benjen tease was pretty loving good. I like that the show is still messing with our expectations still after all these seasons.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Wallet Inspector posted:

lmao

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.

Wallet Inspector posted:

owns

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

kater posted:

Didn't you hear Arya? The doom took the Riverlands and crossed off most of the people on her list.

But yeah, we've got Brienne, Pod, Davos, Sansa, Theon, and Ghost Jon all in the same place. They are going to get in a blue cart and go solve mysteries.

I want to see a scene in S6E01 where you hear thumping from a locked room and Brienne complains about the noise and then right when she's about to break open the door Mel walks out naked and Pod is just sitting under the covers struggling to keep a straight face.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

ruddiger posted:

As a book reader I have to say, the Benjen tease was pretty loving good. I like that the show is still messing with our expectations still after all these seasons.

"after all these seasons", the show didnt really mess w/ expectations much at all in season 1 besides what, jaime vs ned?

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

any chance myrcella's not dead? :(

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Wallet Inspector posted:

Laffo and Robert strong look like a loving skyrim character

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Panzeh posted:

I mean yes there are more possibilities in a show where you can always write your way out of trouble with magic but that doesn't really add more to a story. GRRM had to write Renly out once he figured out it would be inconvenient so bam, shadowbaby.

Magic doesn't have to be a deus-ex-machina plot resolving machine and aside from shadowbaby and red-god resurrection, it really doesn't get used to that effect here. I know there are more examples of this, but considering the entire setting, history, and lore poo poo is filled with magic stuff going down constantly, the fact GRRM can use magic at all and not have it always be a method for him to write himself out of a hole is a credit to his restraint. He didn't need to melt a guy into a puddle in the prologue for AFFC but he does anyway mostly because it was loving cool. He was done in by an assassin entirely capable of shanking him like what would probably happen in a more grounded setting, but he melted because this is fantasy and that's a cool impossible thing.

For me reading is more about the imagination than realism. I mean, Medieval history is really cool and if I want the real game of thrones I can read accounts of the War Of The Roses or something, but when I pick up a fiction book I like to have my imagination tested. Likewise, I've already seen Rome (and would like to see it come back somehow), and I don't need GoT to be a gritty swords and horses politics simulator. I also have Crusader Kings 2 for that, which I think I'm gonna play now.

Anyway, magic and mysticism is just a storytelling tool, if an easy to abuse one, but ASOIAF/GOT are better for the magic elements, not worse.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I thought the melting thing was just Pate's brain shutting down?

ruddiger posted:

I remember people speculating that the hooded guy on the boat at Hardhome was Benjen because the camera paid too much attention to him for an extra. They knew.

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

Aegon was dropped because that subplot is insanely stupid.

They're going to use Gendry for the Aegon plot and it is going to blow.

Still kind of an improvement.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Without Stannis or Jon around... who exactly is going to keep the wildlings in check?

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

I think it could have been seen as a very strong episode if the ending wasn't so rushed. Why not have Jon reading Ramsay's letter and then going to save his sister?

Oh and wow, Stannis in the show looks extremely stupid. Stannis in the book knew that if he burned people, the non-believers would abandon him.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

A Typical Goon posted:

In the books Mel has Shireen, unburned. She could burn her to resurrect Stannis or 'Azor Ahai' and end up bringing back Jon.

Thoros didn't need to set people on fire to bring Beric back multiple times.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

JT Jag posted:

I'm pretty sure the Iron Islands have just disappeared, so it doesn't really matter.

Theyre casting for euron greyjoy sooooooooooooooooo

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Show Ramsay is so good he doesn't even need to write a letter to get the Night's Watch to kill Jon Snow. They do it anyway

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

I forgot that we didn't get a Theon heart tree scene either. That's the biggest mistake of the episode and the season. They could have easily fit it in.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Super Ninja Fish posted:

That's the biggest mistake of the episode and the season.

A bold opinion

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Potooweet posted:

They're going to use Gendry for the Aegon plot and it is going to blow.

Still kind of an improvement.

That's a terrible fan theory that's never gonna happen. Dany allies with Dorne, getting rid of the Aegon plot is as simple and obvious as that.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Remember when Jamie used to be the main evil boss character?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

hemophilia posted:

Magic doesn't have to be a deus-ex-machina plot resolving machine and aside from shadowbaby and red-god resurrection, it really doesn't get used to that effect here. I know there are more examples of this, but considering the entire setting, history, and lore poo poo is filled with magic stuff going down constantly, the fact GRRM can use magic at all and not have it always be a method for him to write himself out of a hole is a credit to his restraint. He didn't need to melt a guy into a puddle in the prologue for AFFC but he does anyway mostly because it was loving cool. He was done in by an assassin entirely capable of shanking him like what would probably happen in a more grounded setting, but he melted because this is fantasy and that's a cool impossible thing.

For me reading is more about the imagination than realism. I mean, Medieval history is really cool and if I want the real game of thrones I can read accounts of the War Of The Roses or something, but when I pick up a fiction book I like to have my imagination tested. Likewise, I've already seen Rome (and would like to see it come back somehow), and I don't need GoT to be a gritty swords and horses politics simulator. I also have Crusader Kings 2 for that, which I think I'm gonna play now.

Anyway, magic and mysticism is just a storytelling tool, if an easy to abuse one, but ASOIAF/GOT are better for the magic elements, not worse.

A gritty horse and swords politics simulator is fine- a lot of the game for the throne stuff is crazy as gently caress anyway, and that's fine by me- it's fiction, after all, but the magic stuff is all poorly written tripe. If I want a fantasy novel for magic, dragons, and prophecy, I can find one that has a lot less side action.

They want us to see Stannis as a tragedy, for example, and showing Renly's weakness as a possible ruler by having him get beat in battle would actually do a lot more for the characters involved than the shadowbaby did, but GRRM can't write for poo poo, and when he wants us to believe in magic it gets ridiculous, like Stoneheart.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Koirhor posted:

Thoros didn't need to set people on fire to bring Beric back multiple times.

But he needed Beric to bring back Stoneheart, so....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Et tu, Olly? - Final words of Jon Snow, 998th Lord Commander of the Night's Watch

• Locked thread