Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bizarro Watt posted:

The LA Times just came out with an article on the downfall of San Bernardino: http://graphics.latimes.com/san-bernardino/

I've never been to San Bernardino, so aside from hearsay, I've never really known how bad it could be there.

San Bernardino is California's Detroit. A big, blue-callor town built around car culture, Route 66, airports and railyards that has slowly withered away as industry left one by one with nothing to replace it. As the IE continues to boom, all the vacant land around SB is turning into stucco suburbia and $500k tract housing but the inner core of SB is dead, filled with the poor and destitute and I have no idea how they will ever recover again.

The only way out I can see is if the rest of the IE is completely built out and developers start seeing SB as an opportunity for redevelopment. But for now, developers still have tons and tons of old dairy farms and open land to built their own towns and shopping centers and employment hubs so it's still cheaper to sprawl out than raze and rebuild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Trabisnikof posted:

Remember you poors don't pay as much taxes so you don't deserve as much water:
To be fair in any sort of reasonable water market "I can pay for it, therefore I should have it" would be perfectly valid logic.

The trouble, of course, is that a huge amount of archaic laws (chiefly senior water rights and "use it or lose it" rules) prevent an actual price-based market from hitting the clearing price.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

To be fair in any sort of reasonable water market "I can pay for it, therefore I should have it" would be perfectly valid logic.

The trouble, of course, is that a huge amount of archaic laws (chiefly senior water rights and "use it or lose it" rules) prevent an actual price-based market from hitting the clearing price.

The problem with this attitude is that we don't have enough water for everyone and if we just free marketed the solution then it will be poor people unable to afford water at all.

So no I don't think "lets force the poor people to make cuts and just charge the rich and Ag more" is actually a good solution.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I bet you could get them to cut water use if you said that they were donating a gallon of water to a poor family for every gallon they used.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

The problem with this attitude is that we don't have enough water for everyone and if we just free marketed the solution then it will be poor people unable to afford water at all.

So no I don't think "lets force the poor people to make cuts and just charge the rich and Ag more" is actually a good solution.
The solution to that is already long established as well, and it's to directly subsidize the first x gallons of water you use (where x is whatever basic needs are). Similar things happen with electric bills already.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

ShadowHawk posted:

The solution to that is already long established as well, and it's to directly subsidize the first x gallons of water you use (where x is whatever basic needs are). Similar things happen with electric bills already.

That was ruled illegal. http://www.sacbee.com/news/state/california/water-and-drought/article19194072.html

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
People in RSF have had avocado and other groves as long as I can remember so they can classify their huge lot as a farm. gently caress these people.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
gently caress fines, people like that aren't intimidated by fines, no matter how high they get. I'm sure every one of those assholes in the quoted article would happily pay thousands of dollars of fines a month to continue guzzling water, all the while getting the bonus of being able to bitch about how unfair the world is to rich people. If you really want these people to conserve then give them an allotment and, when they pass it, shut their loving water off.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

Ignoring the fact that many water districts are doing something similar to that already....

Water infrastructure doesn't exactly allow for market based allocations. It doesn't matter if I can afford X amount of water if the pipes to my farm/factory/house can't support delivery or if the river they draw from has no water. Similar problem with electricity actually, which is partially why few electrical markets are anything like a free market.

Besides, treating water like candy starts to break down when you realize that water....doesn't have a manufacturer!

If I'm withdrawing water from a well who should I exactly be paying fair market price? What about from a river?

Who should I pay fair market value to for the rain delivered by the sky?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Yes, the problem is the laws. They clearly aren't working since very irrational things are happening -- rich people are being given way too cheap water that they waste, cities who would be very willing to pay for water at a reasonable price can't buy it from people who would want to sell it since they would lose their rights if they did, residential users are being asked to cut back despite being 98% of the humans and 10% of the water use.

That's why the laws need to change.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ShadowHawk posted:

residential users are being asked to cut back despite being 98% of the humans and 10% of the water use.

Even if we had your proposed system, residential users would still be cutting back, since the price of water would be rising (which it is anyway, as delivery costs increase due to the drought).

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Trabisnikof posted:

Ignoring the fact that many water districts are doing something similar to that already....
Almost. They're not allowed to raise the price such that demand drops to reflect what they have available. And they're not allowed to actually buy water from those who have it (nearby farmers who would lose the rights by "not using them" instead grow water-sensitive crops with them.) So they can't fill their demand with added supply either.

quote:

Water infrastructure doesn't exactly allow for market based allocations. It doesn't matter if I can afford X amount of water if the pipes to my farm/factory/house can't support delivery or if the river they draw from has no water. Similar problem with electricity actually, which is partially why few electrical markets are anything like a free market.
We don't need a state-wide water piping and reservoir system or a state-wide market, there's nothing wrong with having this all be done locally.

quote:

Besides, treating water like candy starts to break down when you realize that water....doesn't have a manufacturer!

If I'm withdrawing water from a well who should I exactly be paying fair market price? What about from a river?
Just reexamine the incentives for a moment. Some crops are selling for lower prices than the water it takes to produce them if farmers had to pay residential water costs. In some cases it would be very easy for such a farmer to agree to plant something else in exchange for his water going to a nearby municipality. Both parties would profit, water would be used more efficiently, and the right thing in general would happen.

The trouble is that this type of deal is currently forbidden - as soon as that farmer stops pouring it on the ground, he loses his water rights. It's like the difference between cash and a nontransferable gift card to a lovely chain restaurant.

quote:

Who should I pay fair market value to for the rain delivered by the sky?
There are lots of different answers to this question. Some areas prohibit rainwater collection because it "belongs to" the water table. That can create bad incentives if there's lossage in the process (since rainwater collection would be more efficient).

Initial allocation involves a ton of thorny political issues (you're basically declaring winners and losers), but once you actually have clear rights in play without perverse incentives that prohibit trading, trading actually works.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Here's something fun to chew on, the top 10 Senior Rights Holders with 2010 consumption (as verified by the AP):

1. Pacific Gas & Electric - 4,903,962 acre-feet
2. Pacificorp - 3,836,044 acre-feet
3. Turklock Irrigation District - 1,922,039 acre-feet
4. San Fransisco Public Utility District - 1,192,563 acre-feet
5. Los Angeles Department of Water and Power - 991,870 acre-feet
6. Southern California Edison - 770,271 acre-feet
7. Glenn-Colusa Irrigation District - 770,271 acre-feet (weird that they're the same, but the AP verified)
8. Joint Water Districts Board - 647,760 acre-feet
9. Yolo County FC & WC District - 588,783 acre-feet
10. Merced Irrigation District - 332,146 acre-feet

PG&E is quoted as saying 90+% of their water withdrawals are non-consumptive (e.g. mostly for hydropower and a little for cooling). I imagine the same is true for SoCal Edison. Pacificorp is a forestry company, so its not clear if those are internal use (irrigating trees) or sold water. Those would mostly be Northern California rights so potentially north of the Sacramento watershed. SF & LA obviously use their water for drinking. And the rest are irrigation districts which also support the podunk towns in their area.

ShadowHawk posted:

Just reexamine the incentives for a moment. Some crops are selling for lower prices than the water it takes to produce them if farmers had to pay residential water costs. In some cases it would be very easy for such a farmer to agree to plant something else in exchange for his water going to a nearby municipality. Both parties would profit, water would be used more efficiently, and the right thing in general would happen.

The trouble is that this type of deal is currently forbidden - as soon as that farmer stops pouring it on the ground, he loses his water rights. It's like the difference between cash and a nontransferable gift card to a lovely chain restaurant.

Ok there's a couple of issues here, first of course irrigation water is actually cheaper to deliver than residential water. It doesn't have to be treated or pressurized which both cost a lot.

Second, you're still ignoring the physical realities, it doesn't matter if a farmer in the central valley wants to sell their water to EBMUD if EBMUD's one river intake facility is already operating at maximum. Or worst, if that farmer doesn't have Sacramento river water and can't just transfer the rights. The water infrastructure isn't as flexible as some assume.

Finally, while some people have use-it-or-lose it, that's really only a big deal for users of Colorado river water and doesn't apply statewide.

Most farmers on Sacramento water received 0% allocations this year, so the reality is they don't have water to sell. Senior rights holders can sell their water without risking their rights, so that's not the problem. The issue is we allocated far more water than we have, so everyone is going to see cuts.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Water rights seniority is so ridiculuous.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
If threy really are ballers and are using water as conspicuous consumption, shouldn't they just embrace the fines and roll with it? They get to be gangsta ballers now.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

quote:

Yuhas lives in the ultra-wealthy enclave of Rancho Santa Fe, a bucolic Southern California hamlet of ranches, gated communities and country clubs that guzzles five times more water per capita than the statewide average. In April, after Gov. Jerry Brown (D) called for a 25 percent reduction in water use, consumption in Rancho Santa Fe went up by 9 percent.

Jesus Christ. I live in Santa Barbara and as much as we poo poo on Montecito for being douchebags who use 4x the water we do, and as much as they also bitch and moan about how it's unfair they have to let the plants on their 50 acre estates die, they've reduced consumption by 45 percent in recent months. When you start out with huge usage numbers is should be *easier* to cut back on all the nonessentials.

This reminds me of that 2010 study that showed that giving people information about how their electric use compared to their neighbors and asking them to waste less resulted in an overall 2% reduction -- but usage in many conservative households went UP.

Choadmaster fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 15, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Choadmaster posted:

This reminds me of that 2010 study that showed that giving people information about how their electric use compared to their neighbors and asking them to waste less resulted in an overall 2% reduction -- but usage in many conservative households went UP.

That's because conservative usage was often below average (because a lot of them were poor) and they figured that it wouldn't hurt to be at the average.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

computer parts posted:

That's because conservative usage was often below average (because a lot of them were poor) and they figured that it wouldn't hurt to be at the average.

Not sure where you get that; the NYT article about it says republicans were the larger users overall:

quote:

Political persuasion also plays a role in overall electricity consumption, the authors found. Registered Green Party members consume 9.6 percent less energy than Republicans; Democrats consume 3.9 percent less. The difference is even greater in summer months, with Greens consuming 11.1 percent less than Republicans.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Choadmaster posted:

Not sure where you get that; the NYT article about it says republicans were the larger users overall:

quote:

The economists speculate that some conservatives may react angrily at being told to save energy, while others may realize their energy use is lower than average and increase it to match perceived norms. Other tactics may be needed to get conservatives to conserve.

It also doesn't really tell you much about distribution, but it is known that Green activists are much more likely to be wealthy than other groups.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 15, 2015

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2015/06/13/drought-has-thieves-stealing-water-like-its-liquid-gold/

quote:

Drought Has Thieves Stealing Water Like It’s Liquid Gold

Police are warning businesses and residents to start locking up their taps. California’s drought has gotten so bad, people are stealing water.

Thieves busted the locks on the spigots at a popular Asian shopping center on Barber Lane in Milpitas, just to get their hands on what has become liquid gold.

Palo Alto resident Jason Zhur said he’s shocked it has come this far. “But water’s becoming more expensive than gas,” he said.

Police say the thieves waited until the businesses were closed and returned in the middle of the night to steal their water — and lots of it.

Or as RT puts it:

http://rt.com/usa/267361-water-theft-drought-california/

quote:

It’s not quite “Mad Max,” but ...

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Interesting article from Timothy Lee(who has written about this subject before) on what is almost certainly a doomed plan to create a political constituency in San Francisco for more development.

It would be nice to see Sacramento try to do something about this problem on a statewide level, less pressure from NIMBY types than in SF itself presumably. But that doesn't seem too likely either.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sydin posted:

gently caress fines, people like that aren't intimidated by fines, no matter how high they get. I'm sure every one of those assholes in the quoted article would happily pay thousands of dollars of fines a month to continue guzzling water, all the while getting the bonus of being able to bitch about how unfair the world is to rich people. If you really want these people to conserve then give them an allotment and, when they pass it, shut their loving water off.

Flow restrictors, which physically reduce the available water to a pre-calculated allocation for the number of residents, are stage 2 of the plan, and have been announced. After you get a flow restrictor, you probably can't run a tap and the washing machine at the same time, far less irrigate anything.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Flow restrictors, which physically reduce the available water to a pre-calculated allocation for the number of residents, are stage 2 of the plan, and have been announced. After you get a flow restrictor, you probably can't run a tap and the washing machine at the same time, far less irrigate anything.

Where has announced whole-house flow restrictors? Places have announced flow restrictor requirements for faucet or showers, but I haven't seen whole-home announcements yet and a quick googling turned up nothing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Trabisnikof posted:

Where has announced whole-house flow restrictors? Places have announced flow restrictor requirements for faucet or showers, but I haven't seen whole-home announcements yet and a quick googling turned up nothing.

I've seen it in multiple news articles: here's one. https://thecoastnews.com/blog/2015/06/rancho-santa-fe-faces-harsher-water-cutbacks/ For more, go to Google News and search "flow restrictors".

quote:

Jessica Parks, management analyst and public information officer of the Santa Fe Irrigation District, they imposed mandatory allocations with severe cost penalties for exceeding those allocations.

Irrigation days have dropped from three to two days. Parks wants everyone to know that the District will be increasing its enforcement by adding staff in the field to help customers comply with the mandatory water use restrictions.
“Beginning July 1, 2015, water allocations for all customers will be imposed with severe cost penalties for exceeding the allocation. The penalties could result in quadrupling of water charges for those that don’t comply, and for flagrant violators, the District can impose flow restrictors and shutting off water service,” she said. “The water allocations will be based on each customer’s 2013 water usage. Each residence will receive a base allotment for the billing period, but all usage above the allotment must be cut back by 45 percent.”

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've seen it in multiple news articles: here's one. https://thecoastnews.com/blog/2015/06/rancho-santa-fe-faces-harsher-water-cutbacks/ For more, go to Google News and search "flow restrictors".

Oh ok, that applies to flagrant violators, I was thinking more along the lines of something that would be mandated for entire water districts.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh ok, that applies to flagrant violators, I was thinking more along the lines of something that would be mandated for entire water districts.
Flow restrictors are sledgehammers; applying them district-wide penalizes people who conserve as harshly as people who violate regulations. If you're 25% under (or whatever the district's rule is) your previous usage and you aren't conspicuously wasting water (e.g. washing your car with a hose), you're doing what the Governor asked for.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Flow restrictors are sledgehammers; applying them district-wide penalizes people who conserve as harshly as people who violate regulations. If you're 25% under (or whatever the district's rule is) your previous usage and you aren't conspicuously wasting water (e.g. washing your car with a hose), you're doing what the Governor asked for.

Which is why I was surprised when I thought that was what was going on.

However, as put by this one water district manager:

quote:

“In order for us to avoid the penalties, we need to change our behavior to mirror what we do in the wintertime,” explained Mr. Lewis. “I know a lot of people say it’s difficult, but in order for us to meet this 32 percent goal that’s what we’re going to have to do. That’s our greatest opportunity.”

Failure to comply with the restrictions outlined in the Staged Mandatory Water Conservation and Rationing Plan may result in Golden State installing a flow restrictor device, along with adding associated fees for installation and removal. Flow restrictors would remain in place for a minimum of seven days.

“Flow restrictors are very rare. I’ve never seen one,” Mr. Lewis shared. “Most customers make that change and move forward. The goal is to not get there. What we want to do is show the state that we’ve made every effort we can. If we hit August or September and the state comes back and says we’re not hitting that number, then we’ll move to Stage 2.”

(https://www.claremont-courier.com/articles/news/t15683-water)

I'll be interested if they actually start using them on violators, people will really conserve or if they'll just pay to buy their insane water needs elsewhere instead of conserving.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Trabisnikof posted:

I'll be interested if they actually start using them on violators, people will really conserve or if they'll just pay to buy their insane water needs elsewhere instead of conserving.

It will probably lead to conservation even among people who could afford to go out and buy tons of water, because reduced flow from residential plumbing is a huge quality of life hit. Just because you can go buy tons of bottled water doesn't change your drop in shower pressure or the fact that you can't run the dishwasher and brush your teeth at the same time. That's the kind of stuff that irks high middle-upper income folks, more so than fines ever would.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Sydin posted:

It will probably lead to conservation even among people who could afford to go out and buy tons of water, because reduced flow from residential plumbing is a huge quality of life hit. Just because you can go buy tons of bottled water doesn't change your drop in shower pressure or the fact that you can't run the dishwasher and brush your teeth at the same time. That's the kind of stuff that irks high middle-upper income folks, more so than fines ever would.

Or you can just install a tank and pressurizer and get trucked water delivery. Like they already are:

quote:

A year ago, Oprah’s annual bill from the Montecito Water District was just shy of $125,000. This year, it is less than half. Like many in this wealthy enclave, Oprah has cut back on her consumption of district water. That said, her property has its own wells and a small lake and, according to neighbors, there are the trucks.
In May, 837 defiant—or careless—residents coughed up $532,000 in penalties, or a collective overage of about 13 million gallons of town water. The beachfront Biltmore Four Seasons was whacked with a penalty of $48,000 for using about one million gallons over its allotment in April, while a nearby private home sucked up a $30,000 fine for the month for guzzling an extra 750,000 gallons. The district receives about 30 appeals a week. Those who do not pay their bills receive shut off notices— and about 400 were sent out in the last year. The Montecito Water District, which is particularly discreet about its patrons, admits it will rake in close to $4 million in fines this year.
According to public documents, the biggest residential user for 2012-13 was Pat Nesbitt—CEO of Windsor Capital, majority owner of Embassy Suites—who has long sought to convince local officials that his polo field, which is part of his 20 acre estate, is entitled to a discounted agricultural water rate. And he’s sued the Montecito Water District—twice, according to the water district’s attorney—to make his case.

Some simply find a way around the restrictions. Bob Hazard, a retired hotel CEO who writes a news column for the Montecito Journal, says he would not be surprised if some of the town’s wealthiest are “paying as much as $15,000 a month for trucked-in water.”

Certainly, Montecito has more than its share of water hogs. The top three users for Montecito in 2012/13 guzzled close to 30 million gallons alone. “That’s enough water to provide the needs of a small town,” says Mosby. And this, during a drought has been unrelenting for almost three years, afflicting the state from Sacramento to San Diego.

(http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/08/california-drought-lifestyles-of-the-rich-and-parched-110305.html#ixzz3dG2kb3Cq)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Trabisnikof posted:

Or you can just install a tank and pressurizer and get trucked water delivery. Like they already are:

Or they apparently do that, yeah. :psyduck:

Boy are there some entitled shitheads in this state.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Sydin posted:

Or they apparently do that, yeah. :psyduck:

Boy are there some entitled shitheads in this state.

See for instance, the rich FYGM Chinese parents from places like Fremont or Cupertino :qq:-ing about how the potential return of affirmative action would mean that babby's rightful space at Cal would instead go to some undeserving black or brown-skinned untermensch from the ghetto a year and half ago or so.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Trabisnikof posted:

long sought to convince local officials that his polo field, which is part of his 20 acre estate, is entitled to a discounted agricultural water rate.

Goddamn you just can't make this poo poo up, can you?

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx
It's pretty obvious at this point that this drought isn't going to end until Arthur C. Korn returns to the Yorba Linda Water District.

(Interesting fact, I had to google the guy's name as I wasn't sure if he was still on the water district board or not, and found this page on Transparent California that gave his pension/benefits amount, as well as that of any other public California employee. It was surprisingly modest for a water district big-wig. So at least that's one place where California is being relatively cost-conscious.)

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

e_angst posted:

It's pretty obvious at this point that this drought isn't going to end until Arthur C. Korn returns to the Yorba Linda Water District.

(Interesting fact, I had to google the guy's name as I wasn't sure if he was still on the water district board or not, and found this page on Transparent California that gave his pension/benefits amount, as well as that of any other public California employee. It was surprisingly modest for a water district big-wig. So at least that's one place where California is being relatively cost-conscious.)

The tyranny of Michael J. Beverage may never end. So much pain caused by such a mustache.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

See for instance, the rich FYGM Chinese parents from places like Fremont or Cupertino :qq:-ing about how the potential return of affirmative action would mean that babby's rightful space at Cal would instead go to some undeserving black or brown-skinned untermensch from the ghetto a year and half ago or so.

I like how some parents took their kids out of public school since helicopter asian parents managed to cut funding for useless classes like drama

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

e_angst posted:

Water districts aren't at all cost conscious, it's just that their lavish spending isn't on pensions but rather inappropriate expense reports while the people running it are in office. The Santa Clara Water district, for example, has the nickname The Golden Spigot for how much its officers abuse their expense accounts.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Insane rich fucks mad about water rationing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

One thing I've noticed about the throw-money-at-the-problem people is that they're never quoted saying "Look, I put in a greywater system and efficient sprinklers, what do you want?" or anything like that. A mansion's greywater system wouldn't irrigate a mansion's grounds, but it would help. These people aren't investing in reducing their water use while maintaining their lawns; they're just demanding that their water use go unchanged, and investing in that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

The most amazing quote:

quote:

“You could put 20 houses on my property, and they’d have families of at least four. In my house, there is only two of us,” Butler said. So “they’d be using a hell of a lot more water than we’re using.”

Those houses would have "at least four" is some kind of given because :confused:

Whatever. We were foolish to not realize what a favor this person was doing us, keeping all resources dedicated to lush undeveloped land instead of being wasted being actually used by people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Craptacular! posted:

The most amazing quote:
Those houses would have "at least four" is some kind of given because :confused:
I will eat my hat if Rancho Santa Fe doesn't have massive zoning requirements to prevent the poors from moving in. She could no more put a housing development on her property than she could a petroleum refinery.