Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Use this for commuting and hiking, it's excellent. Toggles for strapping things in, it's waterproof, incredibly comfortable, and has two clips at above-nipple and bellybutton height for keeping the weight distributed. Has an easy access zipper at the top, and can take bladders in case drinking out of a dirty hose is your thing. Its also just about smaller than my back, so it doesn't stick out over the shoulders.

Oh, and it's designed for caryring skis; it actually has a metal ring that pops out at the bottom and similar at the top (in case you want to lug 20kgs of sharp apline stick with you), and it's double or triple stitched everywhere so it doesn't split even heavily loaded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Help! I want to upgrade my gear (jacket + pants) with armoured inserts, rather than continuing to use the foam stuff it came with. Are there brands I should be looking for?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Pfox posted:

Help! I want to upgrade my gear (jacket + pants) with armoured inserts, rather than continuing to use the foam stuff it came with. Are there brands I should be looking for?

Not a brand, but CE certified stuff.

M. Night Skymall
Mar 22, 2012

builds character posted:

You actually want CE Approved. Certified just means they sent it to a facility and it may have passed some of the tests involved.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

builds character posted:

M. Night Skymall posted:

You actually want CE Approved. Certified just means they sent it to a facility and it may have passed some of the tests involved.

This is super helpful, thanks very much!

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

Pfox posted:

Knox and Forcefield are two decent makes from Britain.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I'm a big fan of d3o inserts. I use both klim and rukka in my different gear after what size the armor pockets was. D30 is also safe to trim with scissors if they're a bit big(Rukka inserts are enormus)

Rukka vs klim shoulderpad:

Rst Jacket with rukka shoulder pads and klim viper t5 pro back protector

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
What about a chest guard? Important too?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

The problem with this and everything that's not motorcycle specific like a Kriega is that they are impossible to get the pack on and off when wearing a motorcycle jacket with armour in the shoulders.

Of course if you're squiddly-diddly-doing it up and not wearing armour, then a quality backpack is the least of your problems.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Yeah I have a camelback and it is in fact /not/ impossible to get on. In general I try to strap it to the tail if I'm riding with it because that is more comfortable but I've ridden with it and it's fine...

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Pfox posted:

What about a chest guard? Important too?

Not unless you are riding dirt really aggressively and or dirt race tracks, ie anything with jumping. For normal light offroading on a dual-sport/adventure bike it's not needed.

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009
Is a mesh jacket going to make a noticeable difference from perforated leather? I'm doing a lot of city driving in DC humidity and as much as I try to stay moving it's getting uncomfortable.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

Yes, I can't imagine riding around here in anything but mesh. Leather, even perforated, sounds absolutely suffocating.

I've got an extra Joe Rocket mesh jacket you could try if you want. It's pretty old and doesn't really provide any abrasion protection, but could give you an idea of wat mesh feels like.

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

Mesh is very cool when you're moving. I'm comfortable riding in the summer days, but when the sun goes down I have to put a sweatshirt on underneath. never had perforated leather before.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I live in the same area, struggled with perf leather for a few weeks before buying revit tornado+airwave stuff. I mean, I'm still sweaty as hell, but it's an improvement. Wicking underarmour stuff helps too. And a camelbak.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Supradog posted:

I'm a big fan of d3o inserts. I use both klim and rukka in my different gear after what size the armor pockets was. D30 is also safe to trim with scissors if they're a bit big(Rukka inserts are enormus)

Rukka vs klim shoulderpad:

Rst Jacket with rukka shoulder pads and klim viper t5 pro back protector

Seconding d3o - I've got their shoulder, elbow, back, and hip protecters and they're cheap and CE approved. Or certified. Not sure which, don't really care as it's likely the same situation as DOT helmets (not tested by a regulatory agency and yet still very protective).

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
I wear perf leather year round. :shrug:

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

You live in the bay area. I don't think your experience applies to well to places with real weather.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Chichevache posted:

I wear perf leather year round. :shrug:

It's 11 am and the heat index here is already 102.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I have perf leather and 85+ it's unbearable if you're sitting still.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Koruthaiolos posted:

You live in the bay area. I don't think your experience applies to well to places with real weather.

I do not live in the Bay Area, though I finally get to go home in a month or two! At the moment I'm on the border of this. At least it's a dry heat. :haw:

MoraleHazard posted:

If.

Chichevache fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 16, 2015

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

HotCanadianChick posted:

The problem with this and everything that's not motorcycle specific like a Kriega is that they are impossible to get the pack on and off when wearing a motorcycle jacket with armour in the shoulders.

Of course if you're squiddly-diddly-doing it up and not wearing armour, then a quality backpack is the least of your problems.

I actually have in-built armour, and dont have that problem. The straps are wide and pretty smooth and rigid, they don't tend to get hooked.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Leather, not perforated, was 93 here yesterday. Survived just fine. Suck it up wimps :colbert:

hit the bricks pal!
Jan 12, 2009
Alright it seems like a new jacket might be worth it then. I think if I had a highway commute it would be bearable but downtown you can only do so much to stay moving.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Chichevache posted:

I do not live in the Bay Area, though I finally get to go home in a month or two! At the moment I'm on the border of this. At least it's a dry heat. :haw:

If.

Ask me about riding down the micro-"shoulder" of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway in 95 degree heat in perfed leather in stopped traffic. I don't mind sucking it up for a while, but air cooled bike + air cooled rider and it was lane-splitting time.

Digital_Jesus posted:

Leather, not perforated, was 93 here yesterday. Survived just fine. Suck it up wimps :colbert:

Above 30 mph or so, I don't think perfed vs. vented leather makes much difference as long as the vents are well placed. In stop and go traffice, rolling along at 15 mph, there's a noticeable difference.

I guess getting a bit older, I have less tolerance riding in leathers in that kind of heat if I don't have too. I do my fun riding in the early morning before it warms up. I just suck it up for commuting to work.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

MoraleHazard posted:

Ask me about riding down the micro-"shoulder" of the Baltimore-Washington Parkway in 95 degree heat in perfed leather in stopped traffic. I don't mind sucking it up for a while, but air cooled bike + air cooled rider and it was lane-splitting time.

:glomp:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeLa72oSf3c

Or you could just plug a bunch of perforated hoses/wire tidies into a fan box and coil them around your body (one of the first image results for "personal cooling unit". Patent pending!)

e/ I'm sure I've seen the thermoelectric concept built into a professional little collar that hits your jugular/carotid, but I can't find it for the life of me. Maybe I imagined it?

Probably wouldn't be crash safe anyhow.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 16, 2015

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
What worked for me last summer (~100F) was a wool (or cotton) bandanna soaked in water around my neck. It's not high tech, but the evaporation does help cool you off some, and it's cheap and easy to deal with.

Some of the jacket manufactureres make cooling vests, too, which is basically the same thing, but cut to fit in/on/around your existing jacket. I haven't tried one, though, so I don't know how they work.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I soak my entire shirt in water, works very well when moving.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Being from CA, stories involving actually being stopped along with stopped traffic are alien and horrifying.

Minkee
Dec 20, 2004

Fat Chicks Love Me
I own a dad accessory called a CoolDanna

It helps me look fabulous and keep my cool.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

tirinal posted:

stories involving actually being stopped along with stopped traffic are alien and horrifying.

Yeah, I've only had to do it half a dozen times and now I avoid those streets entirely.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
The day I have to seriously consider mesh is when my home is a few feet underwater, making that choice moot. Thank you, moderate marine climate and gently caress you, global warming. :arghfist:

I do have a hyperkewl vest though, and it really helps on the one hot day a year.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

MoraleHazard posted:

I have a white perforated leather and it'd not completely horrible, but it is hot.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

M42 posted:

I soak my entire shirt in water, works very well when moving.

I can't tell if you're being serious or sardonically referring to sweating.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Mr. Crow posted:

I need a backpack and/or tankbag for my Ninja 650, any recommendations?

Want something really high quality, considering a GORUCK GR1 (in addition / as a general all-around backpack), but it's a little pricy so maybe there are equally good options or something more comfortable for riding.

Lifetime guarantee though, plus I've read several reports of people going down on them and only slightly tearing corners of it, and they replaced/fixed it.

The GR1 is a tank. I swam in the ocean dragging mine with me for three days in a row for one of their events and it's still in perfect shape. I haven't been down with it, but I put that bag through a lot of abuse regularly and it's still in amazing shape after 2 years. It is however really no frills so if you need some compartments or something you might want to buy some kind of organizer or something.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
How much do stiffer collars on jackets break in? I got an air frazer and absolutely love the style and the amount/placement of vents combined with more actual protection than a lot of mesh jackets; but the collar chaffes the heck out of my neck.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I think it depends on how it's sewn, what it's made of, and whether it's got interfacing in it to keep it stiff.

Mine usually start out stiff, then as I wear them/they get wet in the rain/they get washed they soften up slightly. I don't know that particular jacket, so it's hard to say. You might try getting it wet and crumpling it slightly to see if it loosens up a bit.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

So basically I have an anomalous weirdo head and the only helmets on the market that fit are scorpions (and I really don't like the latest models). Intermediate oval cranium shape, really narrow jawbone - so anything that fits my head completely fails the chin up/down test. gently caress :v:

Actually the scorpion I'm testing right now fails that test too, if I try. Fuuuuuuuuuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

M42 posted:

So basically I have an anomalous weirdo head and the only helmets on the market that fit are scorpions (and I really don't like the latest models). Intermediate oval cranium shape, really narrow jawbone - so anything that fits my head completely fails the chin up/down test. gently caress :v:

Actually the scorpion I'm testing right now fails that test too, if I try. Fuuuuuuuuuck

If you're planning on crashing you shouldn't get on the bike. If you're not planning on crashing, what do you need a helmet for? Ride free, feel the wind in your hair and the bugs in your teeth like God intended.