Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

blainestereo posted:

Your sex is fixed but your gender can be whatever your heart desires, p. progressive if you ask me.

its not fixed you can be both sexes

oh no *cue tumblr outrage*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

He really isn't, though.

NOT YET, AT LEAST

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

There was a ghoulified Redcoat guy in the E3 presentation. I hope there's a sidequest where you fight a horde of Revolutionary War reenactor ghouls who've been mindfucked into thinking they're actual Minutemen or King Ralph's Royal Tightsmen Grenadiers or whatever.

I hope that means it's actual time travel. if they're gonna screw the franchise, they might as well go big.

also god no I looked up Autumn's actual face I've gone too deep

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
Gay ... Straight who gives a gently caress the most important thing is...

if "BINGO BANGO BONGO I DONT WANNA LEAVE THE CONGO NONONONONONOoooooooo" is going to be one of the music tracks? .... because it better be :c00lbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqh94uIqVu0

VoLaTiLe fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jun 15, 2015

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

jesus christ shut up you whinging human being

you guys are worse than the people you hate

are you feeling microaggressed by my poasting

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

cthulhoo posted:

no i just think you're a tedious idiot

i mean in fairness so is the other dude but

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Zombies' Downfall posted:

no i just think you're a tedious idiot

i mean in fairness so is the other dude but

rude

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

There was a ghoulified Redcoat guy in the E3 presentation. I hope there's a sidequest where you fight a horde of Revolutionary War reenactor ghouls who've been mindfucked into thinking they're actual Minutemen or King Ralph's Royal Tightsmen Grenadiers or whatever.

I hope they were ghouls that raided a local museum and just ran with it.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

cthulhoo posted:

you're alright, you were talking poo poo about Bethesda earlier so your noisily insisting over and over that you don't care about the thing you keep telling us you don't care about is a minor personality flaw in comparison

although we wouldn't be talking about it anymore if you and others hadn't spent the past couple hours telling us how much you didn't care

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

yes indeed this is def whats happening itt :yikes:

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

idk what yall are talking about but that demo was sick im so hyped

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

cthulhoo posted:

"oh no i was railroaded into being a released prisoner in morrowind, boo loving hoo"

bethesda games always had a specific beginning, then again there always were alternate start mods, so don't worry, if nobody makes you a gay cannibal starter pack, you'll be able to cook one perfectly matching your fetishes in the construction kit

The more option you have in personalizating your character, the more options you have when solving quests, that means branching path, more dialogue options, etc...

My point of reference for this isn't bethesda games, but fallout games(1,2 and NV), this is what makes them replayable. it has nothing to do with fetish or progressive or whatever.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I Will Play Fallout 4

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

crawlkill posted:

you're alright, you were talking poo poo about Bethesda earlier so your noisily insisting over and over that you don't care about the thing you keep telling us you don't care about is a minor personality flaw in comparison

although we wouldn't be talking about it anymore if you and others hadn't spent the past couple hours telling us how much you didn't care

Don't forget TUMBLRINAS TUMBLRINAS TUMBLRINAS (whatever the gently caress that means).

I mean, if expressing disappointment in something means you care too much, I'm not sure what to say.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

The more option you have in personalizating your character, the more options you have when solving quests, that means branching path, more dialogue options, etc...

My point of reference for this isn't bethesda games, but fallout games(1,2 and NV), this is what makes them replayable.

i don't want to disappoint you but its gonna be a bethesda game

lack of specific background in this case is not gonna help any is what im saying

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hoping the radio features more varied music. I loved New Vegas but it often felt like there were only 5 songs on rotation, 3 of which were Johnny Guitar.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Neeksy posted:

Hoping the radio features more varied music. I loved New Vegas but it often felt like there were only 5 songs on rotation, 3 of which were Johnny Guitar.

Personally, I liked the Black Mountain Radio because I enjoyed listening to the insane ramblings of a Super Mutant and her imaginary friend.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

QuantaStarFire posted:

Don't forget TUMBLRINAS TUMBLRINAS TUMBLRINAS (whatever the gently caress that means).

I mean, if expressing disappointment in something means you care too much, I'm not sure what to say.

on the internet giving any attention at all to anyone but yourself seems to get called caring too much or trying too hard a lot, gotta apply some filters to try and work out when people are being assholes on autopilot

the sad fact is I hear so little Bethesdahate that I'll forgive almost any annoying behavior just to hear someone agree with me

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Opinion unchanged, I am hyped to be one step closer to Obsidian making another Fallout.

Legitimate question, was "I wish the protagonist had a voice" ever part of the general feedback for FO3/NV? Or seeing the pre-war US, for that matter? If so, was it widespread criticism? Because this whole protagonist situation seems to me like the result of a focus group somewhere. Or an unchecked decision maker somewhere.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

If you want to roleplay as an SA neckbeard in game then just play Hatred

oops

I wanted to be from a different Vault in FO:3 but didn't expect anybody to give a poo poo. I just downloaded a mod to make the bad things disappear. Yes there's lots of gender and sexuality issues in gaming and blahblahblah but this isn't the forum if you actually want to discuss that

It sounds like this is an argument between the people who will hate the game no matter how the character/plot is handled and people who couldn't give a poo poo less either way. The main storyline is always the one that you slog through at the very end for a reason

I'm looking forward to killing super mutants with autographed baseball bats and killing every man, woman, and child who speaks with a Bostonian accent in a valiant attempt at aggressive eugenics

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Neeksy posted:

Lol look at this cis-pleb that didn't download the soundtrack to Hedwig and the Angry Inch for all of his playthroughs.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Assume "I wish the protagonist had a voice" is part of the feedback for every game with an unvoiced protagonist, even if there is no voice acting at all. It's surprising how vocal a certain segment of the gaming market can be about the lack of voice acting.

Still, they seem to buy the games anyway, so I'm not sure if it was actually necessary for Bethesda. They probably felt this would improve their storytelling.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

QuantaStarFire posted:

Personally, I liked the Black Mountain Radio because I enjoyed listening to the insane ramblings of a Super Mutant and her imaginary friend.

or find the children's book that was about Tabitha and Rhonda! Bethesda likes flooding their games with books so much, they could at least give us that.

Cheston posted:

Legitimate question, was "I wish the protagonist had a voice" ever part of the general feedback for FO3/NV? Or seeing the pre-war US, for that matter? If so, was it widespread criticism? Because this whole protagonist situation seems to me like the result of a focus group somewhere. Or an unchecked decision maker somewhere.

I would be super interested if we had a real answer to this. my cynical brain just goes "someone in power decided it was a brilliant decision and no one questioned him." maybe there was something more specific. Bioware's been pushing RPGs toward voiced protags since, what, DA2, though? but I thought Beth games sold better than Bioware games anyway. the prewar stuff, who knows. an attempt to be distinctive?

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Cheston posted:

that's probably one of those things that are expected in an AAA title these days

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

QuantaStarFire posted:

Which is fun, but once you've exhausted all the material and it just goes on repeat that kind of thing loses its punch.

Just having a longer playlist in general would be nice; at least long enough for you to not notice that you just listened to the same song only a few minutes ago.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

crawlkill posted:

on the internet giving any attention at all to anyone but yourself seems to get called caring too much or trying too hard a lot, gotta apply some filters to try and work out when people are being assholes on autopilot

the sad fact is I hear so little Bethesdahate that I'll forgive almost any annoying behavior just to hear someone agree with me

:vince:

The problem of voice acting is neither here nor there. It's just a shame Bethesda chooses to imitate Bioware series Mass Effect, which featured terrible writing and terrible voice acting, instead of Bioware series Baldurs Gate, which featured decent writing, and decent voice acting. Because it was a decent RPG.

Flaky fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jun 15, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

crawlkill posted:

:irony:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Raymond Hog posted:

idk what yall are talking about but that demo was sick im so hyped

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Only the union of a men and a women can repopulate the wasteland. Or a men and 100 womens (but thats a horrible vault).

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

*reads a lockpicking book but the words are smudged with years of atomic dirt and it looks like it says "tumblrs today"*

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Propaganda Hour posted:

Lol look at this cis-pleb that didn't download the soundtrack to Hedwig and the Angry Inch for all of his playthroughs.

I'm the worst kind of scrub: a Mac user who had to get the PS3 version of F:NV and thus can't mod or actually play it to completion because the memory/save file bloat makes it literally impossible to get to the end without it crashing.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

a fangirl npc obsessively messaging you on pipboy could be fun in a terrible way

see also: adoring fan

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

cthulhoo posted:

a fangirl npc obsessively messaging you on pipboy could be fun in a terrible way

see also: adoring fan

If it works like Al Gore in the South Park RPG and there's a quest to unfriend her, that's a day one purchase right there.

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

Epic High Five posted:

It sounds like this is an argument between the people who will hate the game no matter how the character/plot is handled and people who couldn't give a poo poo less either way. The main storyline is always the one that you slog through at the very end for a reason

the topic's pretty much exhausted at this point, but to reiterate, I would be totally happy to play as any character if that character were gonna be well-written. I just don't trust Bethesda to do that. further, Fallout has a, what, 20-year tradition of having very sketchy character backgrounds, and between this and voicing your protagonist, you're starting to look like a much more "specific" person, particularly if the plot ends up being about your family, which, being Bethesda, seems likely. I make a valiant effort to like Bethesda games, and I'll pry make a valiant effort to like this one. if it sucks, as history suggests it will, then every bit of the Fallout tradition they carve out is that much more of a loss. if it doesn't suck, then all the format changes will be fine, and sacrifices in self-definition will've been made on the altar of a good story.

but do any of us think it's going to have one? and if it hasn't, what was the value in taking away that self-definition? that's the whole question. that's it.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Epic High Five posted:

If you want to roleplay as an SA neckbeard in game then just play Hatred

oops

I wanted to be from a different Vault in FO:3 but didn't expect anybody to give a poo poo. I just downloaded a mod to make the bad things disappear. Yes there's lots of gender and sexuality issues in gaming and blahblahblah but this isn't the forum if you actually want to discuss that

I'm looking forward to killing super mutants with autographed baseball bats and killing every man, woman, and child who speaks with a Bostonian accent in a valiant attempt at aggressive eugenics

It's not even that I want to discuss the issue. I was just "This aspect of the game disappoints me" but I guess that's enough to get yourself thrown on the Tumblrbus because you didn't immediately board the hype train.

I'll probably play the game and I'll most certainly enjoy it like I have other Bethesda games. I just think it's disappointing that certain aspects of whatever character I end up playing are assumed from the word "go" and they exist primarily for cheap emotional jabs and/or major plot stuff that will probably crop up later, but we can probably file that under "Oh Bethesda" and call it a day.

Looking forward to making my own city and having my advisor go "You can't have Super Mutants provide security detail! YOU WILL REGRET THIS!"

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

finally a strong argument

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
I thought your character being super 50s normal before you have control of them, and then being whatever after the socially oppressive society vanished, would be lauded as some deep progressive message or something. Also Video Games!

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

megalodong posted:

*reads a lockpicking book but the words are smudged with years of atomic dirt and it looks like it says "tumblrs today"*

*grants Animal Friend perk

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

crawlkill posted:

finally a strong argument

Oh sorry what I meant to say was You said a gay person was using straight person arguments to justify a game having a straight protagonist, shut up and stop posting you moron. How's that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crawlkill
Feb 20, 2014

CJacobs posted:

Oh sorry what I meant to say was You said a gay person was using straight person arguments to justify a game having a straight protagonist, shut up and stop posting you moron. How's that?

yes, because you were. was this gonna be that easy to dismiss? as I pointed out, the argument you used wouldn't be accepted by the wider audience (I recall using this expression twice, and deliberately never specifying you) if reversed, and that it sounded like what disinterested straight dudes say. you don't have to be one to sound like one. that's not a hard idea, is it?

• Locked thread