Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

:science: ~Science!~ :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I'm really hoping my kids called Carl so I can yell at him constantly like Rick from the Walking dead does

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just hope they kept the old Oblivion "voice actor changes mid sentence" feature.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I think I'd come around on the removal of skills, IF you get like three perks every level up or something. Because if you still get only one per level Fallout 3 style or God forbid, 2 levels like in New Vegas or 3 levels like in the older games, you're going to be basically picking perks that let you do things skills would have let you done in the first place, meaning the interesting perks which give unique effects will be ignored for perks that just make you better at essential stuff that skills used to cover.

Selenephos fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Jun 15, 2015

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This bit is icky.

Encourage scavenging not hoarding.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Rinkles posted:

This bit is icky.

Maybe difficulty level or (worst case scenario) it'll be a paid mod.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

This bit is icky.

Look, if I can't have a locker full of random garbage that I've collected from my travels, it's not Fallout to me. :colbert:

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

QuantaStarFire posted:

Look, if I can't have a locker full of random garbage that I've collected from my travels, it's not Fallout to me. :colbert:

gently caress you!!!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Look who's back

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Rinkles posted:

This bit is icky.

The requirements are the numbers on the right, right? ...right?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Neeksy posted:

The requirements are the numbers on the right, right? ...right?

Heh, yeah.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

cthulhoo posted:

tbf voice thing literally happened in oblivion

tbf because they spent all their budget on Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rinkles posted:

This bit is icky.

Presumably the reason the player has so much is because it's a dev build for demonstration purposes and all that, and the player won't actually find that many or have that high a max carry capacity in the real game.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

yeah if you look close they have 99 of all the prefabs and stuff.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Is it just my lovely eyes with their color problems or is this color scheme really, really, really bad?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

PA skins are in

CJacobs posted:

Presumably the reason the player has so much is because it's a dev build for demonstration purposes and all that, and the player won't actually find that many or have that high a max carry capacity in the real game.

Yeah but literally everything in the base building segment required materials. Optional stuff yada yada

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
He did say that the whole settlment stuff is entirely optional, which is reassuring.

How the mighty have fallen wrt voice acting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QaqR9Dhd5bQ&t=627shttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtJdd-BS8MM

Flaky fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 15, 2015

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Rinkles posted:

This bit is icky.

I fail to see a problem here

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Is it just my lovely eyes with their color problems or is this color scheme really, really, really bad?

I'd prefer an amberpos theme but this is fine imo.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Maybe you can just deposit materials at home so crafting there doesn't take up all your inventory except when you're scavenging.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Rinkles posted:

This bit is icky.

probably not gonna have that amount of materials in the game proper tbf

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Bholder posted:

I fail to see a problem here

The crafting and base building systems will probably encourage picking up every bit of junk - at least until you have a sizeable stockpile. I just feel game designers can funnel our obsessive predispositions in more interesting directions. Not that I have any great ideas myself.

Burns
May 10, 2008

I'm liking the new Power Armor. it looks like Power Armor. Although I'm still entertained by Todd Howard's random lies or poo poo he describes that will have no bearing on the game in the end.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Rinkles posted:

Yeah but literally everything in the base building segment required materials. Optional stuff yada yada

That's not really that big of a change from crafting things in previous Fallout games at workbenches and such, except that now you need a longer shopping list of junk items. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing considering 3/NV have ten thousand boxes, crates, mailboxes, and so on I'll never open because I don't need the junk items that are inside. Giving you a reason to root through that stuff isn't tedium in itself if they make sure it's not tedious by making the amounts you need to craft stuff be reasonable.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Rinkles posted:

The crafting and base building systems will probably encourage picking up every bit of junk - at least until you have a sizeable stockpile. I just feel game designers can funnel our obsessive predispositions in more interesting directions. Not that I have any great ideas myself.

It's not any different from what we had before, which was "pick up everything because you might need it for something"

I also expect a desperate search for Teddy bears because you ran out of stuffings.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Resistance types are back

Bholder posted:

It's not any different from what we had before, which was "pick up everything because you might need it for something"

I don't know, it was quickly apparent what the real trash was before. And you weren't building and stocking bases or crafting basically every part of your gun with what was useful. Todd said it himself, every bit of junk now has a use (i.e., probably breaks down into one of the component types).

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Rinkles posted:

Resistance types are back

I don't know, it was quickly apparent what the real trash was before. And you weren't building and stocking bases or crafting basically every part of your gun with what was useful. Todd said it himself, every bit of junk now has a use (i.e., probably breaks down into one of the component types).

So basically "player.modav carryweight X" console command is going to be even more mandatory this time around?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Korgan posted:

I am going to play Fallout 4 and probably enjoy it a lot.

How dare you :argh:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Andrast posted:

So basically "player.modav carryweight X" console command is going to be even more mandatory this time around?

Probably, yeah.

Hopefully they don't hide the drop command in the actual book and cause me to pause the game and root through it because I've suddenly become immobile underwater

~first Oblivion playthrough~ :allears:

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
So can you only play as a male through the storyline? I know you can customize the female but didn't catch if you could play as her or not, and I thought I heard people saying you could switch after completing the game or some weird poo poo.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Okay, just managed to watch it.
What is this loving game?

I'm fairly excited, seems to be some cool stuff shown off and it doesn't seem to be a carbon copy of Fallout 3 at least.
loving weird though, Minecraft and jetpacks I guess.
New VATS looks pretty good imo.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

cthulhoo posted:

*places a rotten prefab shack on a 10 year old looking ground texture* ah finally a feature i always wanted, city building *satisfied smile*

But this was my reaction to terraria and that worked out quite nicely.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Kingtheninja posted:

So can you only play as a male through the storyline? I know you can customize the female but didn't catch if you could play as her or not, and I thought I heard people saying you could switch after completing the game or some weird poo poo.

you can play as a ~female~ don't worry

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp
It's about ethicsss in gaminggg journalisssmmm

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????

Rinkles posted:

This looks like a good way to turn exploration into more tedious bullshit.

Looking back on the video, the crafting system sucks too - the only difference in the choices are slightly more aimed accuracy vs less hipfire accuracy which, depending on how useless hipfire is by default, is barely a choice at all. Then you get to pick between the Reflex Sight and the Holographic Sight!!! :monocle: The guns look like fisher-price plastic toys, too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Still confused by this poo poo

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

If there is something positive about Bethesda keeping the same lovely engine, it's that the same console commands I learned in Morrowind still work.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Kingtheninja posted:

No, you can play as a female: hence Todd's amusing little outburst "and of course you can play as a female"

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Still confused by this poo poo

litle smug poo poo is animated even

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

This looks like a good way to turn exploration into more tedious bullshit.

So how is this different than collecting all mugs, pencils and toasters for the sink so they can break it down to more useful materials?

• Locked thread