Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Schlesische posted:

This, only I find the DS4's touchpad to be an absolute pain in the arse when you're on horseback.

I have mine disabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009

Bort Bortles posted:

Except when he hits me it is for about 1/5 of my health yet when I hit him it is for about 1/100th of his. It will take me all night, especially because I can only usually get 1 punch in after I successfully reposte and I only get 4 chances to gently caress up a reposte before he kills me. Its loving stupid. Everything else about this game is about making choices: I want to pull out my sword and stab the fucker.

edit and this is on Normal difficulty. I should not have to change the difficulty for a loving fistfight.

Fist fights are easy. Enemies are weak to cross counters.

First thing you do in a fight is put some distance between you and the enemy. If the enemy is in the middle of the arena, you can spam strong attacks to push them backwards. Enemies, from memory, cannot parry strong attacks so there's no risk of spamming them wildly. If they can parry, you can dodge around to get space anyway.

Once you've put some distance between you and the enemy, wait for them to run towards you. All you have to do is throw a strong attack at them. If you time it right, you will hit first and stun them. Dodge backwards, wait for them to run at you and cross-counter again. You should be able to get them in a loop doing this. If they start blocking, just put some distance between you and the enemy and repeat the process again.

Played on Death March difficulty and didn't lose a fight doing this.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Jun 15, 2015

Nien
Apr 29, 2013
So I finished this on death march today and am simply staggered that something this good came from the clown-boat makers of witcher 1. It's got some annoyances but 95% of its perfectly done.

When's witcher 4 due?

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Nien posted:

So I finished this on death march today and am simply staggered that something this good came from the clown-boat makers of witcher 1. It's got some annoyances but 95% of its perfectly done.

When's witcher 4 due?

After Cyberpunk 2077. Probably will star a player created Witcher or Ciri as the protagonist.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

by Radio Games Forum

Szurumbur posted:

Does the merchants' money resets at all, and if so, how often? I'm tired of trying to find someone with money to buy off some new armours and weapons I keep finding, but of course can't help but picking up, so if the other choice is to wait in some guy's backyard for a week it's a better idea than scouring the map.

I don't know about money, but runestones certainly do. So amateur horse shoer blacksmith in some hole on Skellige would replenish his stock of greater runestones of sign intensity. Buy one, close out and socket it in my sword, talk to him again and buy another ad nauseum until my sword had three of them. Superior griffin sword with 3x 5% sign intensity rune stones? I"ll allow it.

Honest Thief posted:

How the heck the crossbow becomes an instant kill weapon underwater and outside it just pokes drowners out? I kept avoiding using the crossbow because it never did that much damage out of water, but now getting those smugled crates is way easier

Crossbow is essential if you're to sail to the ?'s on Skellige. It feels awesome too, because the casual fashion that Geralt shoots sirens in the face when they latch onto his boat is amazing. It's like I'm Mel Gibson in a Lethal Weapon movie shooting grunts off my car as I barrel through a fruit cart.

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 15, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Mr. Fortitude posted:

After Cyberpunk 2077. Probably will star a player created Witcher or Ciri as the protagonist.

Or the other side of the conflict.

Witcher 4: The Witch Hunt

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CDPR 1.06 posted:

Fixes an issue that prevented players from creating more than one item via Crafting/Alchemy

Awww yeah it's party time. Literally just dropped for PC, on Galaxy, like within the last hour.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

It should be compiled into a 'Geralt expressing emotion the best way 'a mutant whose emotions have been wiped out by chemical injections knows how' ' album in the OP.

Also my pony tail/beard/turtle neck combo makes me look like a 40something hipster professor from Oxenfurt.

Levity aside, I'm intrigued by the Wild Hunt, and without any exposure to the first two games, I feel I've pieced together an understanding of them. If some :spergin: Witcher book nerd could verify these bullet points I'd appreciate it.

]- a long long time ago an elf race split off from the OG elf race. Left to another world.

- said new elf race's world is now facing annihilation, and the leader of the Wild Hunt seeks a new world, ala General Zod in Superman. These are basically dark elves.

- wild hunt wants Ciri because of her interdimensional teleportation power inherent in her Elder Blood could supply the energy needed to ctrl X ctrl V an entire planets population to another world.

Geralt has mentioned twice now that he rode with the hunt, but when, why and how? He's not of the race or world the wild hunt hails from, and he has nothing to gain from ravaging worlds. Why would the hunt allow Geralt in their band anyway?

Spoiler this poo poo. Come on.

Edit

Did it for you.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

ZombieLenin posted:

Spoiler this poo poo. Come on.

Edit

Did it for you.

nope, try again. edit: there you go :)

Ahh new page. Well for those that missed it, 1.06 just came out for PC. Full changelog:

- Fixes the endless loading screen when fighting the Ice Giant during the quest 'Lord of Undvik'.
- Geralt's clothes will no longer be wet after leaving the menu.
- The gate in the crypt now works correctly during the quest 'Scavenger Hunt: Viper School Gear'.
- Fixes the lack of interaction with Roche on Oxenfurt Bridge in the quest 'Get Junior'.
- Fixes an issue that prevented players from creating more than one item via Crafting/Alchemy.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Memento posted:

nope, try again.

Fixed it.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Memento posted:

So that's why Geralt randomly got soaking wet...

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Memento posted:

nope, try again. edit: there you go :)

Ahh new page. Well for those that missed it, 1.06 just came out for PC. Full changelog:

- Fixes the endless loading screen when fighting the Ice Giant during the quest 'Lord of Undvik'.
- The gate in the crypt now works correctly during the quest 'Scavenger Hunt: Viper School Gear'.
- Fixes the lack of interaction with Roche on Oxenfurt Bridge in the quest 'Get Junior'.
- Fixes an issue that prevented players from creating more than one item via Crafting/Alchemy.

drat, I hope it addresses some of my decoction formulas disappearing when I have the materials to make them and re-appearing when I don't.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Levantine posted:

drat, I hope it addresses some of my decoction formulas disappearing when I have the materials to make them and re-appearing when I don't.
The patch before this one added some filters to help sort the long list, have you checked those?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
This game is so good.

You can just hack and slash your way through most enemies, ignore most of the other tools at your disposal, and still get by but when you use the right potions/oil/decoction, it feels so good to utterly dismantle a monster. Makes me feel very Geralt.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ravenfood posted:

The patch before this one added some filters to help sort the long list, have you checked those?

Oh that's a good point, I should have thought of that. I'll check when I can and report back. Thanks for that!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

WastedJoker posted:

This game is so good.

You can just hack and slash your way through most enemies, ignore most of the other tools at your disposal, and still get by but when you use the right potions/oil/decoction, it feels so good to utterly dismantle a monster. Makes me feel very Geralt.

Killing a boss monster 10+ levels above you via using oils, decoctions, and their other weaknesses is definitely one of the best feelings. Realistically you can take on enemies that have skull level icons at any time if you prepare well enough. Maybe not on Death March because of how the difficulty scaling works, but definitely still applies on the second hardest.

edit: Skull level icon and a ?? level number is probably still instant death though, no matter how much Quen you buff yourself with.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jun 15, 2015

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Late game spoilers: You know how I said there's a theory that elves are space colonists? I didn't expect that to be confirmed so dramatically in the game.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

So I'm level 19, I just got to Skellige, I'm on B&BB and the combat is kind of easy. I can still get ganked if I'm stuck in close quarters in a house in some scripted fight, but out in the open there's nothing I'm afraid of as long as it doesn't overlevel me by much. Is this the part where the reviews talked about the game getting too easy and should I switch over to DM to keep the combat challenging?

I'm decked out in Enhanced Griffin so it's possible the game will get naturally harder as I'm now in a higher level environment and the gear will lose its power level over time?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It doesn't get harder, bump up the difficulty if you want more of a challenge. At this point in the game there are only one or two fights that might be a challenge if you're running around the world conquering all you see.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Antti posted:

So I'm level 19, I just got to Skellige, I'm on B&BB and the combat is kind of easy. I can still get ganked if I'm stuck in close quarters in a house in some scripted fight, but out in the open there's nothing I'm afraid of as long as it doesn't overlevel me by much. Is this the part where the reviews talked about the game getting too easy and should I switch over to DM to keep the combat challenging?

The game intends for you to balance the Skellige and Novigrad quest lines, but most people don't do that because it'd disrupt the flow of the story and Geralt sailing between an island dozens of miles away and the mainland back and forth all the time wouldn't make any sense anyway. So basically, yeah, the game gets easy, but as you proceed down the Skellige quest line it'll catch up and get harder again (unless you're running around doing every sidequest and such). For now turning up the difficulty a notch will probably simulate that well enough.

Really the hardest part of the whole game is the very beginning from White Orchard to the end of Velen, just because Geralt, legendary Witcher-demonslayer, has let his muscles atrophy and become a weak baby again or something. Once you start getting skills it just gets easy from there.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jun 15, 2015

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Alright. I think I'll kick it up to DM and bring it back down if I start getting frustrated.

It's definitely an issue with design that they thought you'd criss-cross between places - or, I guess they wanted to accommodate both kinds of approaches so that those who want to go to Skellige could as soon as possible. But narratively speaking, as you said, going to Skellige after completing the Velen and Novigrad main storylines makes too much sense.

Schurik
Sep 13, 2008

I only went back and forth when the story demanded it, so I went to each area twice, it just felt better than switching like crazy when the first ride costs so much and captains are so reluctant to travel.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Why do you care about spoilers that come from W2 anyway? I'm pretty sure all that poo poo's been mentioned in the kotaku writeup linked in the OP.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Antti posted:

I'm decked out in Enhanced Griffin so it's possible the game will get naturally harder as I'm now in a higher level environment and the gear will lose its power level over time?

There's a pretty low skill ceiling to combat in the game; once you figure out that non-archer humans = block/parry and monsters = roll/dodge it's entirely an issue of not getting stunlocked by groups and squeezing off signs when time permits to make it go faster. Only exceptions are the AOE jerks (gargoyles/golems) and the tiny handful of monsters where timing actually matters (basilisks/wyverns.) The way damage and armor scales means that once you've stopped having problems you're unlikely to ever start having them again. By level 30 on DM even the skull-level things scattered across the map are basically just speedbumps. At level 19 there are very few places in the game that will challenge you.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Cephalocidal posted:

There's a pretty low skill ceiling to combat in the game; once you figure out that non-archer humans = block/parry and monsters = roll/dodge it's entirely an issue of not getting stunlocked by groups and squeezing off signs when time permits to make it go faster. Only exceptions are the AOE jerks (gargoyles/golems) and the tiny handful of monsters where timing actually matters (basilisks/wyverns.) The way damage and armor scales means that once you've stopped having problems you're unlikely to ever start having them again. By level 30 on DM even the skull-level things scattered across the map are basically just speedbumps. At level 19 there are very few places in the game that will challenge you.

That entirely depends what you're specced in. Your description is probably correct if you focus on melee, but if you focus on signs you don't have any problems with dodging most of the time (because you can just set everything on fire) and basilisks/wyverns (because you can just set them on fire).
Conversely, you're usually hosed on skull enemies because your signs don't get their full effect and your regular sword attacks barely do any damage.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Any mods yet where you can (endgame spoiler) play as Ciri after the credits roll? Or before for that matter. I see there is a nude mod, would have thought the nexus modders had that out ages ago.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
This game is so much loving fun and I've barely even touched the story still. I got to Velen and am just running around collecting notices and investigating the ?s that keep litering my map. Question about those things - are they appearing because of poo poo I read or something? A lot of them are in areas I've never even been to, and they just randomly appeared. Sometimes I run into poo poo not marked also, but whatever. There's just so much to do in this game even if it is just running around killing poo poo and looting them.

Speaking of, what should I be doing with all these swords, lovely or otherwise? I routinely have like 10-20 swords and I've not yet figured out whether I should just be breaking them down for the mats or just selling em because gently caress it. I only have like 600 crowns, so I'm not exactly swimming in cash. Though I have hundreds of other currency coins which I apparently can use at a bank when the game lets me go to Novigrad?

I had my first really challenging fight against a level 14 Ekimmara (I was level 6). It was the first time I was really like, "gently caress, I guess I need to start using swallows and not meat and water". After two or three tries I managed to get the bitch down using only two swallows. Igni with 5/5 is :getin: right now for me. I light so much poo poo ablaze.

Also, if there's some great place to buy/steal great gwent cards, I'd appreciate it. Some rear end in a top hat nobleman in the castle I was in after White Orchard kept rocking my poo poo with his hero cards. I really wish I could have cut his head off and taken his cards.

Also, is there a point in keeping all these letters and books? Like in White Orchard I found some soldier's note about a hidden treasure, but I have no idea if I got it or if it's even obtainable. I wish the game were a little clearer about that sort of thing. I have tons of letters and books that I've read, but I have no great way of knowing which I've done and which I've not and which are just lore.

I'm also still kinda lost in alchemy but I'm getting better at it. I know I can pretty much ignore it since I play on B&BB, but I feel like I'm missing something big. For instance, I have all this jewelry that I want to break down and/or sell but I have no idea whether I should.\

While I never played W2, that sidequest with the Brutish dude (Letho?) was fun as gently caress. I hosed up his plans though and killed everyone

Thanks again for all the putting up with my noobish poo poo.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 15, 2015

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

just

just pretend it isnt there okay

JetsGuy posted:

Question about those things - are they appearing because of poo poo I read or something?
As well as being places to pick up contracts, reading notice boards will mark nearby points of interest on your map.

quote:

Speaking of, what should I be doing with all these swords, lovely or otherwise? I routinely have like 10-20 swords and I've not yet figured out whether I should just be breaking them down for the mats or just selling em because gently caress it. I only have like 600 crowns, so I'm not exactly swimming in cash. Though I have hundreds of other currency coins which I apparently can use at a bank when the game lets me go to Novigrad?
I just sell them - eventually cash becomes a non-issue, and if you loot poo poo as frequently as I do you tend to have enough crafting materials for anything you need. And yes, you can visit Vimme Vivaldi in Hierarch Square, and he will exchange your other currencies for crowns.

quote:

Also, if there's some great place to buy/steal great gwent cards, I'd appreciate it. Some rear end in a top hat nobleman in the castle I was in after White Orchard kept rocking my poo poo with his hero cards. I really wish I could have cut his head off and taken his cards.
You get hero cards from beating opponents in the "Gwent:" sidequests. In the meantime, visit bartenders and buy up all their cards, especially things like Decoy, Commander's Horn and Scorch. There is a random dude sat in the garden at the Royal Palace in Vizima who gives you an excellent Leader card for Northern Realms when you defeat him, so make him your first target. You can head back there at any time. I'm sure others can give better Gwent advice than me.

quote:

Also, is there a point in keeping all these letters and books? Like in White Orchard I found some soldier's note about a hidden treasure, but I have no idea if I got it or if it's even obtainable.
If it's important, the game won't let you sell it, it'll be in the Quest section of your inventory. Anything like that which ends up in your Usables section, feel free to get rid.

quote:

For instance, I have all this jewelry that I want to break down and/or sell but I have no idea whether I should.
Again, I tend to just sell that poo poo, but I loot everything I come across so I'm always flush for dusts and stuff for crafting

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 15, 2015

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

This game is so much loving fun and I've barely even touched the story still. I got to Velen and am just running around collecting notices and investigating the ?s that keep litering my map. Question about those things - are they appearing because of poo poo I read or something? A lot of them are in areas I've never even been to, and they just randomly appeared. Sometimes I run into poo poo not marked also, but whatever. There's just so much to do in this game even if it is just running around killing poo poo and looting them.

I had my first really challenging fight against a level 14 Ekimmara (I was level 6). It was the first time I was really like, "gently caress, I guess I need to start using swallows and not meat and water". After two or three tries I managed to get the bitch down using only two swallows. Igni with 5/5 is :getin: right now for me. I light so much poo poo ablaze.

Also, is there a point in keeping all these letters and books? Like in White Orchard I found some soldier's note about a hidden treasure, but I have no idea if I got it or if it's even obtainable. I wish the game were a little clearer about that sort of thing. I have tons of letters and books that I've read, but I have no great way of knowing which I've done and which I've not and which are just lore.

I'm also still kinda lost in alchemy but I'm getting better at it. I know I can pretty much ignore it since I play on B&BB, but I feel like I'm missing something big. For instance, I have all this jewelry that I want to break down and/or sell but I have no idea whether I should.

Thanks again for all the putting up with my noobish poo poo.

Yeah, ? markers will appear when you explore nearby or from reading books and notices and talking to people

Sell swords and jewelry. You could break some down if you really want but crafting materials (except the rarest like dimetrium and gems) are ubiquitous and it costs gold to break stuff down. Unless you're going to use it to immediately craft something just sell.

Also sell notes and books under the usables tab with potions and such. Probably keep quest tab stuff.

For Gwent just play each merchant you come across until you win and check vendor inventory for cards, it's non-random so if you're just thorough about playing and buying from every merchant you meet you'll get them all.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Dongattack posted:

Any mods yet where you can (endgame spoiler) play as Ciri after the credits roll? Or before for that matter. I see there is a nude mod, would have thought the nexus modders had that out ages ago.

I think you only need console mod to switch character, just type in "Ciri"
You can also spawn more Ciris to come with you with "spawn(Cirilla,number you want)" to play as army of Ciri

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jun 15, 2015

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Palpek posted:

The crossbow has been specifically put into the game against underwater and flying creatures. It makes absolutely no sense to use it during regular fights but in those 2 instances it's crazy effective.

It can be kinda useful for other fights once you're high level enough to use explosive bolts. They have a good chance to set a dude on fire and take him out of the fight momentarily.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Pyromancer posted:

I think you only need console mod to switch character, just type in "Ciri"
You can also spawn more Ciris to come with you with "spawn(Cirilla,number you want)" to play as army of Ciri

Yup. And then "Geralt" to switch back.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I think the particular region's ? map points appear after you read the notice board. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, ? markers will appear when you explore nearby or from reading books and notices and talking to people

Sell swords and jewelry. You could break some down if you really want but crafting materials (except the rarest like dimetrium and gems) are ubiquitous and it costs gold to break stuff down. Unless you're going to use it to immediately craft something just sell.

Also sell notes and books under the usables tab with potions and such. Probably keep quest tab stuff.

For Gwent just play each merchant you come across until you win and check vendor inventory for cards, it's non-random so if you're just thorough about playing and buying from every merchant you meet you'll get them all.

Great, that's what I was hoping was happening.

Thanks for the advice re: jewlery and such, the "magic" classifier on them gave me pause.

For the books, I had heard that there was some book seller in Novigrad that would give full price for 'em? It's probably not worth waiting that long with all this poo poo? I tried to go there first instead of Velen but the game wouldn't even let me select the region.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I have been finding little hidden things that remain completely unmarked after discovery that are kind of neat. In Skellige, on the isle to the South East (where Lambert asks you to go for his quest) I found some sort of shrine. Using Witcher Sense, I discovered that the little "hand" icon was hovering over something at the top so I climbed it despite it not looking climbable. At the top, completely unmarked except for the "press A to examine" icon, I was able to pray to the shrine. I got a message stating "Your prayer has been heard" and nothing else. Is it part of a quest I don't have? No clue - I'm at the end game and no new quests are popping up so it's possible.

On the other side of the coin, I found a pyre with a bear on it on an island to the Southwest. Completely unmarked except for a large ship in a cove to the south. Found the design for a sword called Longclaw (GoT reference?)

I think if I ever play through the game again I'll turn off PoI's completely. It's a lot more fun that way.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

JetsGuy posted:

Thanks for the advice re: jewlery and such, the "magic" classifier on them gave me pause.

For the books, I had heard that there was some book seller in Novigrad that would give full price for 'em? It's probably not worth waiting that long with all this poo poo? I tried to go there first instead of Velen but the game wouldn't even let me select the region.

In general, money is not a major issue after Velen. By the time you really need to be crafting stuff, you will have most of what you need and can afford whatever it costs to just buy the stuff from the smith. So cluttering your inventory with books and poo poo is not really worth it, just sell them for the 1-5 crowns to the next merchant you run across.

As for jewelry, maybe dismantle a few of them so you have some gold/gems in your inv, but after that just hock them, or sell the early ones for cash and dismantle ones later for mats.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

Novigrad is part of the same map as Velen anyway. It's that big city across the river to the north. You can technically go there right now if you do a very quick sidequest, or can be bothered swimming.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Has anyone ever had problems with just buying the materials needed for equipment from the same guy who's crafting it?
I think I only had to dismantle some monster essence and harpy feathers to get powdered monster tissue and regular feathers, the rest I always bought when I needed it.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I just Axii'd the guy trying to get me to do a quest for a discount on the pass.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

WoodrowSkillson posted:

So cluttering your inventory with books and poo poo is not really worth it, just sell them for the 1-5 crowns to the next merchant you run across.
Or better sell them to the book merchant on the main Novigrad square. Not the one with an actual building but a guy standing on the square. He's paying way better for books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Palpek posted:

Or better sell them to the book merchant on the main Novigrad square. Not the one with an actual building but a guy standing on the square. He's paying way better for books.

yes, but that means holding on to them until the next time you are in novigrad.