Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
My dad had Witcher 2 on his laptop and after getting hooked on that I bought it from steam. It's a good story so far and I am being a filthy casual and playing it on easy.

Looking forward to Witcher 3 when I'm done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Memento posted:

nope, try again. edit: there you go :)

Ahh new page. Well for those that missed it, 1.06 just came out for PC. Full changelog:

- Fixes the endless loading screen when fighting the Ice Giant during the quest 'Lord of Undvik'.
- Geralt's clothes will no longer be wet after leaving the menu.
- The gate in the crypt now works correctly during the quest 'Scavenger Hunt: Viper School Gear'.
- Fixes the lack of interaction with Roche on Oxenfurt Bridge in the quest 'Get Junior'.
- Fixes an issue that prevented players from creating more than one item via Crafting/Alchemy.

Still no fix for mutagens not working after every load? Having to unequip and re-equip mutagens all the time is real tedious.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Elenkis posted:

Still no fix for mutagens not working after every load? Having to unequip and re-equip mutagens all the time is real tedious.

Wait wut?

After all that spiel about how mutagens boost your attributes, they don't work?

OatBoy
Nov 18, 2004

What can I say, it's my nature

Elenkis posted:

Yeah that's super surprising. And annoying.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

As a reminder, in the books it's stated very early on that Triss has a whole bunch of scarring on her chest and so never wears anything even resembling a plunging neckline.

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

JetsGuy posted:

Wait wut?

After all that spiel about how mutagens boost your attributes, they don't work?

They work... until you reload a save/fast travel. Then they only partly work (you don't get the bonus from linking them to skills of the same colour) until you re-equip them all again.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elenkis posted:

They work... until you reload a save/fast travel. Then they only partly work (you don't get the bonus from linking them to skills of the same colour) until you re-equip them all again.

Do they have the right numbers but don't actually work though? My 3 reds with a red mutagen stay at 40% bonus all the time but I'm not paying attention to the DPS number...

NuclearWinterUK
Jan 13, 2007

Yes, I am very well

Moridin920 posted:

Do they have the right numbers but don't actually work though? My 3 reds with a red mutagen stay at 40% bonus all the time but I'm not paying attention to the DPS number...

The dps number changes (and vitality or sign intensity), though I admit that I've not tested my actual dps in combat to see whether it's just a visual bug or not.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014
The real genius of this loving game is how it gets into your head.

These black ones are alright, maybe the north -could- do with a bit of order. Wait, Nilfgaard, what are you doing? Wait stop no! Oh GOD!

These loving black ones are no good I'ma back Radovid instead. Hey there Radovid, you reasonable fellow, watcha doing with that torch? O_O Maybe I'll go to Skellige.

Hello welcome to Skellige our favorite thing is murder. Well at least they're honest, huh?

I think I backed every single faction at some point and I have no clue which one is the least poo poo.

It is quite an achievement for a game to make you feel -bad- after stopping a gangrape because you suspect it is going to bite you in the rear end further down the line.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

how me a frog posted:

The real genius of this loving game is how it gets into your head.

These black ones are alright, maybe the north -could- do with a bit of order. Wait, Nilfgaard, what are you doing? Wait stop no! Oh GOD!

These loving black ones are no good I'ma back Radovid instead. Hey there Radovid, you reasonable fellow, watcha doing with that torch? O_O Maybe I'll go to Skellige.

Hello welcome to Skellige our favorite thing is murder. Well at least they're honest, huh?

I think I backed every single faction at some point and I have no clue which one is the least poo poo.

In the end I figure Nilfgaard is the least evil of the 2 major powers. Its an expansionist empire that starts wars of conquest, but Radovid pretty much did the same thing, and even Temeria was hardly a lovable entity. As things stand at the start of the game, Nilfgaard is the least evil, to me.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Whoever wins, the Aen Seidhe lose.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

Good

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

WoodrowSkillson posted:

In the end I figure Nilfgaard is the least evil of the 2 major powers. Its an expansionist empire that starts wars of conquest, but Radovid pretty much did the same thing, and even Temeria was hardly a lovable entity. As things stand at the start of the game, Nilfgaard is the least evil, to me.

This is kind of my biggest gripe with the story. In the first two games Radovid is easily the most expansionist of the Northern kings - he takes advantage of Foltest's troubles to lever an marriage to Adda, he secures possession of Anais la Valette, he gets everyone to agree to let him take Temeria in the name of peace and stability - but it's all through intrigue and politics. It seems really bizarre of him to just up and annex Kaedwin, especially if Henselt is still alive.

Now Henselt, he was a dick. I can see him starting wizard pogroms and poo poo.

Edit: On the topic of getting into your head, that Commander in White Orchard was a goddam marvel.

"Look at these callouses! Farmer's hands! So we'll talk, peasant to peasant. And I'll take less grain than you can afford to give"

Later

"This grain is rotton, gently caress you, 15 lashes"

A lot of fantasy would have gone for either the soldier-with-a-heart-of-gold (*cough* Wheel of Time *cough*) or the grasping petty tyrant (Game of Thrones, Dragon Age), so I was impressed that we got some nuance. Did a great job of making me forget that these people came to White Orchard as conquerors, not friends.

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jun 15, 2015

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Sorry. I figured it was common knowledge at this point and it didn't spoil any quests, just fluff and lore.

No problem. For people just playing this game though, that stuff might just make them sad as they're really waiting for the "wtf is really happening here" payoff at the end.

That's was my immediate reaction (and I played the first 2 games).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Crappy Jack posted:

As a reminder, in the books it's stated very early on that Triss has a whole bunch of scarring on her chest and so never wears anything even resembling a plunging neckline.

What books? Oh, you mean the video game adaptation novels that no one reads so their canonicity is dubious? How quaint :smug:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Nilfgaard are just as much assholes as eveyone else, but they're at least rational powermongering assholes. Them being brutal shits is purely out of a logical ulterior motive, unlike the racist bullshit and personal hardon for killing anyone looking slightly mage-like in elaborately painful ways that you get with Mad Rad. It's also why I don't really consider the Dijkstra end any better than leting Emhyr win it all - you're for all intents and purposes willingly throwing a bunch of your friends under the bus for the sole purpose of trading one amoral powermongering rear end in a top hat for another one. Letting Radovid win it is the worst thing still, though, because that's leaving the win to an openly malicious, racist powermongering rear end in a top hat who's also mentally unstable and has a personal urge to brutally murder some of your best friends.

In other news, why I really like Dijkstra as a character in one rant:

https://youtu.be/wX-XY3GYibM?t=39m19s

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is kind of my biggest gripe with the story. In the first two games Radovid is easily the most expansionist of the Northern kings - he takes advantage of Foltest's troubles to lever an marriage to Adda, he secures possession of Anais la Valette, he gets everyone to agree to let him take Temeria in the name of peace and stability - but it's all through intrigue and politics. It seems really bizarre of him to just up and annex Kaedwin, especially if Henselt is still alive.

Now Henselt, he was a dick. I can see him starting wizard pogroms and poo poo.

IIRC, Henselt gets killed leading the Kaedwenni army from the front against Nilfgaard if he survives Witcher 2, at which point Radovid sweeps in and takes Kaedwen in the following winter.

Magni fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 15, 2015

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Magni posted:

IIRC, Henselt gets killed leading the Kaedwenni army from the front against Nilfgaard if he survives Witcher 2, at which point Radovid sweeps in and takes Kaedwen in the following winter.
Actually, Henselt is still alive when Radovid attacks Kaedwen, and is killed on the front lines in the battle against his 'ally'. Radovid's intent here is to unify the Redanian and Kaedweni forces while winter prevents Nilfgaard from advancing, meaning that when the snows recede, Nilfgaard face one strong opponent instead of two weak ones. Also power etc.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Crappy Jack posted:

Triss' crispy fire damage has been consistently ignored throughout the whole game series so something tells me they don't especially care.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Every corpse you see in Velen hanging from a tree or signpost is Nilfgaard's handiwork. They are Legalist China dressed up like Nazi Germany. Radovid is a terrible terrible man, but Redania as a whole is pretty OK once you get past the fire cultists and witch hunters. There is no daylight between the culture of Nilfgaard and its national identity. It's worse. The third "option", Skellige, isn't even a nation. It's just a foggy pile of bandits squatting in rotting keeps and highland meadows.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Cephalocidal posted:

Every corpse you see in Velen hanging from a tree or signpost is Nilfgaard's handiwork.
I'm not sure they are. I seem to recall seeing a fair few bodies swinging from the boughs that weren't hung there by Nilfgaard. Besides, the only reason there's not as many hangings on the Redanian side of the river is because they're real keen with their tinderboxes.

Edit: To clarify, yeah both sides are fuckin jerks but hey you know I'll stick with the side that isn't attempting to immolate my booty calls

Double-edit: Figured if I'd find a luckless victim of Radovid anywhere, it'd be at Hanged Man's Tree. True enough, several of them bear this note:

Scandalous fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 15, 2015

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

Cephalocidal posted:

Every corpse you see in Velen hanging from a tree or signpost is Nilfgaard's handiwork.

This is demonstrably not true, a lot of them are Radovid's. What did you do, fast forward through all the dialogue that wasn't with a booby lady?

Oh gently caress me, so I go to this island and I think I'm going to do some cool plot thing because after scratching everyone's balls I finally know for sure where she is supposedly, but NOPE, I gotta find 3 assholes for being given no reason better than some assholes in a house told me to. gently caress Ciri, who the gently caress is Ciri even, I'm done with this, the blasted wild hunt can have her, I don't care anymore. How many parents does that bitch even have it seems like everyone's her daddy and like 6 people claim to have "raised" her.

how me a frog fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 15, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Cephalocidal posted:

Every corpse you see in Velen hanging from a tree or signpost is Nilfgaard's handiwork. They are Legalist China dressed up like Nazi Germany. Radovid is a terrible terrible man, but Redania as a whole is pretty OK once you get past the fire cultists and witch hunters. There is no daylight between the culture of Nilfgaard and its national identity. It's worse. The third "option", Skellige, isn't even a nation. It's just a foggy pile of bandits squatting in rotting keeps and highland meadows.

Nilfgaard are like the nazis because they hang a bunch of people for reasons you aren't aware of but Redania is okay as a whole once you get past the literal genocidal maniacs?

idk man one group is burning books in the streets and one is not. Sounds to me like Nilfgaard is cleaning up some of the bandit rabble in the area.

Doesn't Nilfgaard have slaves though? That's kinda lovely.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Moridin920 posted:

Doesn't Nilfgaard have slaves though? That's kinda lovely.

Then again, feudal serfdom tends to be just as lovely, so it's not like the North has any clear moral high ground there, either.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The North and Nilfgaard both have gestapo style secret police (or at least, of the northern kingdoms Temaria and Redania did/do for sure). But you have to keep in mind that literally all of this bullshit that happens in the games is because of Nilfgaard. They started literally every war and destabilized the North by assassinated most of the monarchy. They aren't fixing problems inherent to the systems of the northern realms, they're cleaning up the mess they created so Nilfgaardian settlers can move North and Nilfgaardian rule can be established.

and yeah, slavery is a thing in Nilfgaard

Magni posted:

Then again, feudal serfdom tends to be just as lovely, so it's not like the North has any clear moral high ground there, either.

Nilfgaard isn't really different about that tho

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So Stennis and Saskia are never mentioned at all? I guess they just got steamrolled when Nilfguard showed up.

Makes sense. Even in the best case scenario (Free eldar nation in the Pontar Valley! Woo! Aedirn has an alright king!) neither side probably had anyone left to actually fight Nilfguard.

Oh, this map is pretty good at laying out the pre-Witcher2 political situation:

Also puts the size of Nilfguard in perspective.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 15, 2015

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

But you have to keep in mind that literally all of this bullshit that happens in the games is because of Nilfgaard. They started literally every war and destabilized the North by assassinated most of the monarchy. They aren't fixing problems inherent to the systems of the northern realms, they're cleaning up the mess they created so Nilfgaardian settlers can move North and Nilfgaardian rule can be established.
Counterpoint: they have Yen's favourite colour scheme

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Snuffman posted:

So Stennis and Saskia are never mentioned at all? I guess they just got steamrolled when Nilfguard showed up.

Makes sense. Even in the best case scenario (Free eldar nation in the Pontar Valley! Woo! Aedirn has an alright king!) neither side probably had anyone left to actually fight Nilfguard.

Oh, this map is pretty good at laying out the pre-Witcher2 political situation:

Also puts the size of Nilfguard in perspective.

Yeah maybe Nilfgaard is pretty poo poo if they can't beat a barely united realm 1/3 of their size.

Moridin920 posted:

Maybe they shouldn't have acted all high and mighty while stealing scraps from humans.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Does this game run and stutter like poo poo in borderless windowed fullscreen for anyone else? Almost every guide I've seen, even the one put out by PC Gamer by Durante, recommends running the game in borderless windowed fullscreen for max performance consistency but it makes my game hitch every five seconds. In fact, I'm barely pushing 40 fps in regular fullscreen running at high-medium settings, even though I've got the system requirements to run it at almost max everything (except for Hairworks which is a performance black hole).

edit: Maybe it's because I have it installed on an external hard drive? I'll try moving it over to my internal one, which has much better read/write speed, and see if that helps.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 15, 2015

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

Maybe they shouldn't have acted all high and mighty while stealing scraps from humans.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Is it appropriate to call this game a jrpg?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
^^ it is not an rpg made in japan so no

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

CJacobs posted:

Does this game run and stutter like poo poo in borderless windowed fullscreen for anyone else? Almost every guide I've seen, even the one put out by PC Gamer by Durante, recommends running the game in borderless windowed fullscreen for max performance consistency but it makes my game hitch every five seconds. In fact, I'm barely pushing 40 fps in regular fullscreen running at high-medium settings, even though I've got the system requirements to run it at almost max everything (except for Hairworks which is a performance black hole).

edit: Maybe it's because I have it installed on an external hard drive? I'll try moving it over to my internal one, which has much better read/write speed, and see if that helps.

I don't see the problem, use exclusive fullscreen then?
40 fps on a 760 sounds about right if you turn down grass and foliage settings to medium, I personally would lock it to 30 to make the cutscenes and camera pans less screen-teary. Max everything is a distant dream for that card, sorry :(

Maybe unplug one of those monitors to free up a little Vram, I dunno if that matters in fullscreen though. Every display eats 200-300MB just by sitting idle at the Windows desktop.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 15, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well, that's the thing, I'm trying to fix the stuttering specifically, the framerate not being a rock solid 60 is fine. I was just using the framerate as a metric for the game not running as well as it should (or, I guess, could). Maybe it's time to upgrade my graphics card. It has been showing the limits of its power recently.

edit: Also, putting the game on my internal hard drive did not increase my performance by any reasonable amount, but it did make the game load a bit faster which I guess makes sense, so at least there's that.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

The North and Nilfgaard both have gestapo style secret police (or at least, of the northern kingdoms Temaria and Redania did/do for sure). But you have to keep in mind that literally all of this bullshit that happens in the games is because of Nilfgaard. They started literally every war and destabilized the North by assassinated most of the monarchy. They aren't fixing problems inherent to the systems of the northern realms, they're cleaning up the mess they created so Nilfgaardian settlers can move North and Nilfgaardian rule can be established.

Most of he problems in the Northern Realms aren't because of anything Nilfgaard did, they're because the NR are a bunch of feudal kingdoms with all the constant internecine squabbling and assorted bullshit that implies. FFS, you *start* the Witcher 2 accompanying Foltest as he merrily besieges and sacks a temerian city over internal politics and a lovers squabble. The only difference in terms of warmongering is that Nilfgaard *can* do more no because it's any worse, but simply because it is bigger and more powerful. None of the northern kingdoms would act any different were the roles reversed - in fact, Redania under Mad Rad would arguably act *worse*.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

The bug that randomly makes diving not trigger when you press the dive button until you reload the game is getting on my nerves.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Edit: Pop open task manager when the game's running and see if you have any other processes consuming CPU time.

Redania under Radovid would definitely act worse. He's batshit and he's encouraging batshittery, at least Nilfgaard isn't burning people at the stake.

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 15, 2015

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Texture loading could be a thing, the game is streaming stuff constantly in realtime as you walk around especially in the cities.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Is there any way to make Witcher 3 stupid easy? I know there's the difficulty setting, but even on "story mode" or whatever the lowest is, I'm finding that the "quest level" seems to make almost a block in terms of story approach: at level 4, I just did the level 10 "meet Triss in Novigrad" quest where you scare the rats out of the granary, and the fight at the end was stupidly much harder than it should have been (it took like 10-15 minutes to kill those bastards).

I know I can do side quests and stuff, and I did a few nest side and peasant fetch quests but if I -have- to do mundane side quests to level up, it makes it seem more like a chore and less an addition to the flavor of the world. Also I haven't even been able to figure out what leveling does besides give you points to allocate. Does it also increase your damage dealt and decrease your damage taken like in most RPGs? I have upgrade my equipment a couple times, though haven't done any forging or whatever.

The combat's OK, it's a lot better than TW2, but mostly I'm just playing for the story. I'm not really into stats and +1 weapons and poo poo when I play games.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

The game's pretty prone to stuttering due to frame rate fluctuations so I would set "maximum pre-rendered frames" to 1 or 2 in nVidia Control Panel -> Manage 3D Settings and if that doesn't help set a frame rate cap. The in-game one only does 30/60, so I use RivaTuner to set a limit of 45 for mine (1920x1200/Ultra on a 2500K/970). Otherwise my frame rate fluctuates between mid-40s and mid-50s, which causes stutter (esp. in Novigrad) and actually feels way worse than capping it at 45.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'll try that, and ask another question: If I were to upgrade just the GPU, would I get a noticeable performance increase or would the bottlenecking just change to being caused by a different part? From my rudimentary PC building research (this is the only one I've ever built), the GTX 760 is almost a budget part these days. If nobody has any recommendations I'll take it to the PC building thread even though I hate that place.