Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sout
Apr 24, 2014

Do we know if weapon condition returns?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

frajaq posted:

Source. Honestly don't know if this for real or not

It's NMA Fallout, so yeah, it's for real.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
Nevermind, looked at the power armor hud again. There's a thing called CORE that goes from 100 to 0 and has a little number indicator that probably shows how many fusion cores you have left. So yeah, it requires fuel.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
idk quietly exploring and seeing some cool poo poo or having a cool moment before hearing some fight music and having some mutants pop out is pretty Fallout

People are such loving nerds dude. "Let me take the marketing talk and then analyze it to decide what exactly this unreleased game will look like so I can gnash my teeth and wail for a few months before buying the collector's edition."

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

idk quietly exploring and seeing some cool poo poo or having a cool moment before hearing some fight music and having some mutants pop out is pretty Fallout

People are such loving nerds dude. "Let me take the marketing talk and then analyze it to decide what exactly this unreleased game will look like so I can gnash my teeth and wail for a few months before buying the collector's edition."

It's loving NMA. If a Fallout game isn't the grimdark survival simulator they think Fallout 1 is, they will despise it.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

closeted republican posted:

It's loving NMA. If a Fallout game isn't the grimdark survival simulator they think Fallout 1 is, they will despise it.

I hope Bethesda start calling them "Todd Howard's Fallout 5" because that would be really funny.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Personally I'm just stoked for the base building and the switches and poo poo. My inner dwarf fortress sperg is screaming.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

frajaq posted:

Source. Honestly don't know if this for real or not

Gaming pessimism is so loving boring.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
Why do you like fallout you are not supposed to like fallout here are some reasons

Jigoku San
Feb 2, 2003

Power Armor looks like its what I wanted since FO3 was announced, from the hud to how massive and clankly it looks. I hope its a real game changer, like at lv5 you'd be killed instantly by that deathclaw, but with power armor you got a shot at it. But you can't just run around everywhere in it, I bet a some interiors and settlements wont let you bring it in.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Mr Cuddles posted:

Why do you like fallout you are not supposed to like fallout here are some reasons

You're not liking it the right way. :goonsay:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

Yup. You can edit both their faces, and the baby will develop features that are a hybrid of the two, and you play as whichever one you exit the menu from.

Was this revealed in the full conference? I only watched the clips.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

SunAndSpring posted:

Nevermind, looked at the power armor hud again. There's a thing called CORE that goes from 100 to 0 and has a little number indicator that probably shows how many fusion cores you have left. So yeah, it requires fuel.

You also could be swimming in CORE by the middle of the game and could theoretically use the armor for a long time, with or without console commands. Unless they want to add some difficulty and either make them incredibly rare outside of having high luck or also have them be used in creating high tier buildings, power stations and tools so you have to ration it out whether you want to bring in the suit or not.

But seeing as there is armor customization, it also makes me wonder if we can make old school power armor that's more like a suit that you can easily walk in out of unused Mech Power Armor.

Crabtree fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 15, 2015

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Guys let me tell you something, I didn't enjoy the newest JJ Abrams star trek movies because they don't adhere to my vision of how the original series was. Since I, as a fan, am the ultimate authority on Star Trek this means that the new movies aren't really star trek despite every evidence to the contrary. I refuse to acknowledge their authenticity and my opinion is highly regarded by the five or six people that take me ultra seriously here on the internet.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Jigoku San posted:

Power Armor looks like its what I wanted since FO3 was announced, from the hud to how massive and clankly it looks. I hope its a real game changer, like at lv5 you'd be killed instantly by that deathclaw, but with power armor you got a shot at it. But you can't just run around everywhere in it, I bet a some interiors and settlements wont let you bring it in.

I hope the vertibird airdrops the power armor Armored Core style.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

Was this revealed in the full conference? I only watched the clips.

Yeah. They talk about it at the beginning, mostly.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

The E3 footage makes this game look like boring garbage.

At least some of the environments are interesting but I'm worried that if I keep playing games that only use brown and gray color palettes that I'm eventually going to go colorblind

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

Yeah. They talk about it at the beginning, mostly.

Thanks for the help. My hype is only held back by the nagging feeling by a lot of stuff might be canned for maximum appeal. But gently caress it, I can't wait to play The Sims 5: Apocalypse.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

"Gray and brown" is the new most irritating catchphrase used by people who hate video games, frequently about games with a robust color palette with blues and greens included.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

QuarkJets posted:

The E3 footage makes this game look like boring garbage.

At least some of the environments are interesting but I'm worried that if I keep playing games that only use brown and gray color palettes that I'm eventually going to go colorblind

Like one of the very first things I noticed about this game's aesthetic is that it is saturated and colorful. Your eyes are already broken.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm interested in seeing how the pip boy actually works. People are saying its just a big plastic phone case and you just use your phone. Every picture of it shows the actual pip boy screen fills up the whole area. So is that screen smaller than the phone and you just move your phone around in the case until it all matches up?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I'm honestly surprised by the amount of color on display here after the last Fallouts. It's like the game come prepackaged with the mods I'd install.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

Crabtree posted:

You also could be swimming in CORE by the middle of the game and could theoretically use the armor for a long time, with or without console commands. Unless they want to add some difficulty and either make them incredibly rare outside of having high luck or also have them be used in creating high tier buildings, power stations and tools so you have to ration it out whether you want to bring in the suit or not.

But seeing as there is armor customization, it also makes me wonder if we can make old school power armor that's more like a suit that you can easily walk in out of unused Mech Power Armor.

It's shown that you work on the suit in a garage and that it occupies a physical space outside of your inventory. It also looks like you can call in a vertibird with a flare. Wild speculation, but the limiting factor for suit operation might be that it can only be charged at your home base or specific other locations, and you can either air lift it in before slipping it on or air lift it out once you've run out of fuel. Or jury-rig a couple of car batteries to it and limp home if you've planned things out poorly.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

RBA Starblade posted:

I hope the vertibird airdrops the power armor Armored Core style.
Alternately it'd be maybe a little awesome if the smarmy quest name for introducing power armor delivery features of your vertibird is called "Prepare for Armorfall" and it tries to guide you to drop it on a Super Mutant.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've played New Vegas and TTW with the Powered Power Armor mod, so I'm excited to see power armor get this revamp. I always felt that the games treated it too much like just another set of clothing with some magic attributes, while the backstory hypes it up as basically making you a walking tank loaded with pre-war technology.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
It looks like a fun game and if the story and roleplaying suck, I'll just pretend it isn't Fallout at all. Win-win either way.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Power Armor looks interesting, I just hope you're not basically forced into using it either through game mechanics or lack of customization and viability for other armor options.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

SunAndSpring posted:

It looks like a fun game and if the story and roleplaying suck, I'll just pretend it isn't Fallout at all. Win-win either way.

Yeah, game actually looks pretty fun to play for once. Hope that's true at launch.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'm hoping they made up new factions that actually have a background beyond "They're good guys" or "They're jerks" like the Regulators and Talon Company in 3. Also I hope the Brotherhood isn't a bunch of white knights again that you have to side with.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

"Gray and brown" is the new most irritating catchphrase used by people who hate video games, frequently about games with a robust color palette with blues and greens included.

I love video games, I've been playing them all my life. The "gray and brown" thing is only brought up when the game is just gray and brown, like Fallout 3 was. It's not a catchphrase, it's a legitimate complaint. You can do some amazing things with game graphics and it's always disappointing when a developer chooses a boring color palette

Some of the initial videos had some great color in them, but then a bunch of the E3 footage was brown grass, brown dirt, grey structures, etc etc. This is worrying. I want the majority of the game to be more like the initial screenshots, with diverse colors

e: The fact that you think that a complaint about boring color palettes is a sign that someone dislikes video games in general tells us something about the sad state of the industry.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

ShadowMar posted:

yeah, you show those identity exploring and sexually confused teenagers what for

haha

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

One cool thing Powered Power Armor did that I hope Fallout 4 includes is how they did the power sources. You could either get a nuclear reactor that had unlimited power but couldn't be overcharged for cool stuff, or an ultracapacitor-based power source that had to be refilled with disposable items (either disposable ceramic ultracapacitors or random poo poo like energy weapon ammo and fission batteries) but could be overclocked to let it run unique abilities at the cost of overheating faster.

It basically treated power armor like a mini-mecha that actually had to be taken care of, but could also be loaded down with all sorts of modifications from water breathing and a radar to a cloaking device and stimpack injectors. You even got new HUD elements (with the right UI mods) and a voice telling you when you're overheating or the system is shutting down due to lack of fuel.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm hoping they made up new factions that actually have a background beyond "They're good guys" or "They're jerks" like the Regulators and Talon Company in 3. Also I hope the Brotherhood isn't a bunch of white knights again that you have to side with.

Well they showed the player killing Brotherhood Initiates in the trailer so that's hopeful.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

For a game taking place in the post-apocalypse, it looks pretty loving colorful to me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

QuarkJets posted:

I love video games, I've been playing them all my life. The "gray and brown" thing is only brought up when the game is just gray and brown, like Fallout 3 was. It's not a catchphrase, it's a legitimate complaint. You can do some amazing things with game graphics and it's always disappointing when a developer chooses a boring color palette

Some of the initial videos had some great color in them, but then a bunch of the E3 footage was brown grass, brown dirt, grey structures, etc etc. This is worrying. I want the majority of the game to be more like the initial screenshots, with diverse colors

e: The fact that you think that a complaint about boring color palettes is a sign that someone dislikes video games in general tells us something about the sad state of the industry.

Ok good news: The game is very colorful.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Bicyclops posted:

For a game taking place in the post-apocalypse, it looks pretty loving colorful to me.

Well they tried to make it all grey and brown with a green haze over everything but everyone just modded it out asap so this time they didn't bother.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Fallout 3 wasn't gray or brown, it was green.

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words
I love when at some point Howard says: crafting has a very huge impact on the game... But is completely optional. I hope he gets FEV.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

ShadowMar posted:

Well they showed the player killing Brotherhood Initiates in the trailer so that's hopeful.

Well the New Vegas and 3 trailers also showed you doing that, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Karmalis posted:

I love when at some point Howard says: crafting has a very huge impact on the game... But is completely optional. I hope he gets FEV.
Howard-sensei is so brilliant he would become like the Master instead of a normal super mutant.

• Locked thread