Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jack Gladney posted:

It was only when I watched it again a few nights ago that I realized all of the emphasis on eating and being forced to eat and being deprived of food was probably somebody's fetish that made it into the script.

Also, I really have to find the movie that's playing on the tv in the mobile home.

According to the screenwriter in Best Worst Movie. it's the way it is because a lot of her friends were becoming vegetarians and it pissed her off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007
While in broad strokes Upstream Color isn't complicated, and tracks as a parable for recovering from trauma and finding a way to love again, I kind of feel like the "Theif" and the "Gatherer" should've been the same person.

At the end, when the Thief has a look because the plants aren't making any more hypnosis powder, it's been so long since we've seen him — and we've been so focused on the Gatherer sound man — I remember going, "Oh yeah. That guy."

I think that change would clarify things a lot and keep it more focused.

forever whatever
Sep 28, 2007

Hitting the wall.
I couldn't sleep last night so I checked out Nightcrawler since so many people were saying how good it was on here and drat, it slayed. I thought I might fall back asleep after the first thirty minutes but it was really gripping. Jake plays such a creepy psychopath he really just steals every scene he's in. I love his cool demeanor when dealing with the detectives (D'Angelo's mom from The Wire). Just completely in control like a well seasoned psychopath would be. The direction and cinematography were spot on too, and it reminded me a bit of Drive, although with a less technopop soundtrack.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

According to the screenwriter in Best Worst Movie. it's the way it is because a lot of her friends were becoming vegetarians and it pissed her off.

In case anyone hasn't realized it by now, Troll 2 is actually really good and is essentially the wicked low budget Italian answer to Hausu.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

So you don't know either. Got it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Upstream Color is a weird movie that doesn't explain all the how, why and what of it's mechanics or whatever you'd call them but it's mostly straightforward and the how, why and what is kind of beside the point anyways.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

The Almighty Johnsons is on Netflix. It's a New Zealand show about a group of brothers that are also Norse gods.
Three seasons, no dumb cliffhanger. It's pretty funny and the show is completely aware of how silly the premise is. I liked it

Edit: This is not the TV thread... oh well!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

axleblaze posted:

Upstream Color is a weird movie that doesn't explain all the how, why and what of it's mechanics or whatever you'd call them but it's mostly straightforward and the how, why and what is kind of beside the point anyways.

For as disorienting and as low-exposition as the film itself is, the mechanics do add up in a surprisingly straight-forward way (especially if you read some interviews with Carruth, who, unlike most directors of cryptic movies, will actually sit down to hold your hand and explain his intentions). But, no, figuring out the mechanics, or easily you were able to/claim others should be able to unpack it all is only relevant if you look at a movie like a puzzle to be solved (to paraphrase someone else on here, I believe).

Anyway, both his films are great, although I prefer Primer. (Until recently Primer was on HuluPlus and Upstream Color was on Netflix, although it sounds like they're both on Netflix now.)

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

K. Waste posted:

In case anyone hasn't realized it by now, Troll 2 is actually really good and is essentially the wicked low budget Italian answer to Hausu.

It's never boring, which is more than you can say for a lot of "Worst movies ever". Also the actor who plays the dad is one of my favorite bad actors ever.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Just watched Nightcrawler on the recommendation of the thread. Woah. Really good and the car chase was actually really well done especially with the police scanner dialogue running during the chase, made it come across really nicely.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

I've always thought this, actually. It's kinda batshit and the acting is not great, but it's bizarrely well shot, the effects are actually decent, and the basic concept of goblins that melt you into plant matter with tainted food and then eat you is actually kinda terrifying.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I've always thought this, actually. It's kinda batshit and the acting is not great, but it's bizarrely well shot, the effects are actually decent, and the basic concept of goblins that melt you into plant matter with tainted food and then eat you is actually kinda terrifying.

The way everything plays out in Troll 2 actually benefits from its production being generally lovely. It's a film that's 'dream-like' without being fantastical. It's what a nightmare looks like if you could wake up and remember every single detail, and realize how fake it is. "Vegetarian goblins? Why don't they just grow vegetables?"

But that's also what makes the film so dramatically interesting. The compounding nonsense of the film creates nuance. There actually is an answer to the above question. It's basically a surrealist version of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, where the 'famine' of Nilbog represents the industrial and social decline of small towns in the midwest and south.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, I remember coming away from it after watching it for the first time and the thing I could compare it to the most readily was The Beyond. I was entirely unsurprised to find out it was Italian.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Yeah, it's also better than The Beyond.

I feel.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That Works posted:

Just watched Nightcrawler on the recommendation of the thread. Woah. Really good and the car chase was actually really well done especially with the police scanner dialogue running during the chase, made it come across really nicely.

Yeah Nightcrawler was my favorite movie of last year. So good. Anyone who doesn't watch it while it's just sitting up there for free is a dummy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AKMoose posted:

But, no, figuring out the mechanics, or easily you were able to/claim others should be able to unpack it all is only relevant if you look at a movie like a puzzle to be solved

Yaws posted:

So you don't know either. Got it.

Guys.

Dudes.

All I was saying is that the film was far less confusing and abstract than I remembered it being. Seriously. That's it. Not that I had become a 20th Level Film Analyst between then and now.

I agree that Primer is slightly the better film. Interestingly enough, rewatching that one was more confusing than the first time I watched it. That video that breaks it down made me realize that so much actually happens.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Upstream Color is a way better movie than Primer, and I liked Primer.

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

Upstream Color is a way better movie than Primer, and I liked Primer.

I wholly agree with this statement, and yet still feel comfortable saying that I enjoy Primer more than UC.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

wafflesnsegways posted:

Shane Carruth is interesting because he's not really interested in ambiguity or obfuscation. He wants you to pay close attention to his movies, but he also wants them to be clear and fully understood.

I can't speak to Upstream Color, but I have seen Primer, and if his intention was to make movies without a lot of ambiguity or obfuscation, he is one of the shittiest film makers in history.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Some of the best cinematography I've seen this year so far is in a quirky, independent romantic comedy with just the right mixture of sardonic wit and dramatic creativity called The Dramatics: A Comedy. It's basically a meta-parody of Fifty Shades of Grey, with its being about a couple whose relationship is strained when one of them gets the lead role in a high profile sadomasochistic erotic book adaptation. It's basically a good version of what Starry Eyes miserably fails at.

edit: Dramatics, not Dramatists.

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jun 15, 2015

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ea2x2tXlwg

So you're saying this was good and had some of the best cinematography in this year so far?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

Fayez Butts posted:

So you're saying this was good and had some of the best cinematography in this year so far?

You know how certain music can be used to give footage a completely different tone then how it's presented in context? This is a really unfortunate example of that.

And, yeah, the cinematography is really quite good.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

The Blacklist is aggressively stupid and the fact that Netflix paid $2 million an episode for its streaming rights should in no way be taken as a sign of quality.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

Erebus posted:

The Blacklist is aggressively stupid and the fact that Netflix paid $2 million an episode for its streaming rights should in no way be taken as a sign of quality.

It's also aggressively bad and should be avoided at all costs, even $2million.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Counterpoint: James Spader makes literal garbage watchable.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Blacklist is no worse than CSI or any show like that, and Spader is very good in it. It's a pretty inoffensive thing to bother hating.

Fayez Butts posted:

What's wrong with that trailer? Looks decent to me.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
The Blacklist is no better or worse than the rest of the garbage that's on TV nowadays, but at least its main guy hams it up enough to make the odd episode enjoyable, like that guy off the mentalist.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Erebus posted:

Didn't they also get Gotham for some ridiculous amount before the pilot aired?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Tentative good news:

quote:

People increasingly watch Netflix via mobile apps, and on their TVs. But the company decided to show some love today to those who watch its programming on their computers: It unveiled the first major update to its web site in four years — one that no longer depends as much on its slow carousels.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

are there any cute/interesting/badass animal docs that arent immediately obvious (like blue planet and stuff)?

i read up about manatees today* and now i'm in a documentary mood

*they can expand their lungs and diaphragm down the entire length of their body cavity!! :frogsiren:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Hahaha.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Thanks to you that said to watch Peep Show. Is there anything else out there like Trailer Park Boys / Peep Show?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

A Spider Covets posted:

are there any cute/interesting/badass animal docs that arent immediately obvious (like blue planet and stuff)?

i read up about manatees today* and now i'm in a documentary mood

*they can expand their lungs and diaphragm down the entire length of their body cavity!! :frogsiren:

There's a relatively cute British show called Freaks and Creeps that's about weird-looking animals (I guess the host makes the call on what counts as weird).

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Bill Nye the Science Guy is way more hyperbolic than I remember. Way too many super-excited kids and quick cuts to Bill dressed up as something.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Daedra posted:

Thanks to you that said to watch Peep Show. Is there anything else out there like Trailer Park Boys / Peep Show?

If you like cringe humor, Parks and Rec is great. It's just not as mean as peep show.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I must be in the minority here because I was surprised how good and fun the Blacklist is./

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Daedra posted:

Those could not possibly be more opposite styles of humor, given that Trailer Park Boys is one of the least mean-spirited shows I've ever seen and Peep Show is one of the most. :psyduck:

Parks and Rec is a good recommendation for stuff like TPB. Always Sunny is like Peep Show, but quite a bit sillier.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Counterpoint: James Spader makes literal garbage watchable.

It is only fitting; he turns watchable stuff to garbage.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I think you're mistaking the cause of that stuff being garbage, frankly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

I see Netflix recently added Plan B: True. Are there any other skateboarding videos on there or is this a new thing for them?