Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

It would be hilarious if the finishers actually result in less health/ammo popping out.

I'm sure someone will mod it in somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

After watching more of that video I realize that Wild Hog needs to get their hands on the Turok franchise. God drat.

Man, I would kill for a modern Turok game that brought back all the stupid awesome weapons like the Scorpion or Cerebral Bore or Chronoscepter.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

spongeh posted:

i'm at least 5 years out of university, tyvm

Your game sucks and you all should be fired, see: 3 minutes of scripted footage and a trailer

-idiots

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Man, I would kill for a modern Turok game that brought back all the stupid awesome weapons like the Scorpion or Cerebral Bore or Chronoscepter.

Can't have Turok without the cerebral bore imo

vvvvv yeah i thought so too

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
the missile addon to the machinegun is fuckin awesome

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Well, here's new Shadow Warrior if that's a better topic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSeBcZR2pI8

Check out that sweet reload animation at about 30 seconds in :haw:

Between this, Witcher 3, and the games from Bethesda's conference, 2015 is looking fantastic.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yes, that would be thing I'm talking about. GZDoom lets you use the mouse to control the menus, which is what I want to do in Zandronum because being stuck using keyboard only controls in 2015 is ridiculous. I'm not talking about settings for using the mouse in-game. :v:

Oh! In that case, that's actually being done in Zandronum 3.0, so it'll definitely be in the next major upgrade.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2rjl0wldggsudn/zandronum-3.0-150613-1038-6a22ff8-windows.zip

Here's an alpha build if you want to play around with it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Alain Post posted:

Who actually gives a poo poo about Id. They consist of Tim Willits and some hacks right out of university.

That's better than I thought; I actually didn't realize that any of the old hands were still around.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
So, who here plays Steel Battalion? Please, let it not just be me :(

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel_Battalion

Yes, I'm probably one of the few people who dished out hard earned cash for my car finance to get a giant controller for an imaginary mech car instead. Best type of vehicle driver from the first person perspective.

closeted republican posted:

I remember one guy on 4chan saying that Doom is the FInal Fantasy 7 of FPS games, with all the good and bad that implies. It really hits the mark in regards to how people treat Doom.

Wolfenstein = Donkey Kong
Doom = FFVII
Hexen/Heretic = Pokemon
Blood = Castlevania
Shadow Warrior = Ninja Gaiden
Strife = Chrono Trigger
Quake = Mario 64
Quake 3 = Mario Galaxy
Unreal = Shinobi
Duke 3D = Sonic 2
System Shock = Shin Megami Tensei
Thief = Metal Gear
SiN = 90s Anime
Clive Barker's Undying = Castlevania Chronicles
Descent = Gundam
FEAR = Resident Evil
Painkiller = Devil May Cry
EYE: Divine Cybermancy =
BulletStorm = No More Heroes
Demonsteele = Vanquish

Honestly can't think of anything like Deus Ex.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 16, 2015

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
Enjoying playing a mod called 'Project Brutality' which is basically brutal doom with everything and the kitchen sink thrown in. Hella fun for a bit, but the balance changes are crazy and almost unworkable in any remotely challenging wad.

Doom's Visor mod kicks loving rear end though.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

uncleKitchener posted:

So, who here plays Steel Battalion. Please, let it not just be me :(

Yes, I'm probably one of the few people who dished out hard earned cash for my car finance to get a giant controller for an imaginary mech car instead.

Wolfenstein = Donkey Kong
Doom = FFVII
Hexen/Heretic = Pokemon
Blood = Castlevania
Shadow Warrior = Ninja Gaiden
Strife = Chrono Trigger
Quake = Mario 64
Quake 3 = Mario Galaxy
Unreal = Shinobi
Duke 3D = Sonic 2
System Shock = Shin Megami Tensei
Thief = Metal Gear
SiN = 90s Anime
Clive Barker's Undying = Castlevania Chronicles
Descent = Gundam
FEAR = Resident Evil
Painkiller = Devil May Cry
EYE: Divine Cybermancy =
BulletStorm = No More Heroes
Demonsteele = Vanquish

Honestly can't think of anything like Deus Ex.

Hexen/Heretic are wayyyyyyyyyy too unpopular to be Pokemon.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Actually, yeah, Hexen/Heretic are also too complicated for 10 year olds to figure out.

Also, I honestly couldn't figure out any Japanese game similar to EYE Divine Cybermancy.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Let's not forget that modders will be recreating Doom 1 and 2 in a matter of weeks after the game comes out.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

uncleKitchener posted:

Yes, I'm probably one of the few people who dished out hard earned cash for my car finance to get a giant controller for an imaginary mech car instead. Best type of vehicle driver from the first person perspective.

My girlfriend's brother plays it. It's a pretty neat concept.

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
poo poo, Powerslave EX came out when I wasn't looking and got C&D'd? Max depressing.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

RyokoTK posted:

Congratulations, you managed to be a pretentious hipster about loving DOOM.

e: fart

Yeah why would someone want to have an interesting discussion instead of posting pithy one word threadshits

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

pretty soft girl posted:

Yeah why would someone want to have an interesting discussion instead of posting pithy one word threadshits

Can someone post a link to a thread with interesting discussion? Because it isn't this one, pithy threadshits or otherwise. It's people whining about the dire state of Doom where enemies drop ammo and the chainsaw has limited fuel, oh dear, based on ten minutes of manufactured E3 gameplay footage.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

Can someone post a link to a thread with interesting discussion? Because it isn't this one, pithy threadshits or otherwise. It's people whining about the dire state of Doom where enemies drop ammo and the chainsaw has limited fuel, oh dear, based on ten minutes of manufactured E3 gameplay footage.

I feel like the odd man out on this thread for liking the idea of enemies dropping health and ammo. :shobon:

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

uncleKitchener posted:

I want another Steel Batallion. It was all I ever wanted out of Hawken. :negative:

uncleKitchener posted:

Also, I honestly couldn't figure out any Japanese game similar to EYE Divine Cybermancy.

Shadow Tower: Abyss? I think that (or really any early Fromsoft game) fits the bill pretty well.

SilentW fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jun 16, 2015

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Alright, I'm brand new to this whole old FPS thing :v: I got the Doom bundle on steam, Brutal Doom v20 and Zandronum. Dragging and dropping the .pk3 onto the exe works fine and the game mostly works but I can't seem to reload my second weapon when dual wielding and navigating the menus is more than a little bit of a headahce.

Edit: Nevermind, got the reload thing figured out so hooray there.

Doublt edit:

SilentW posted:

Oh no

OH NO

Just when you thought it was safe to read this thread again....

Should I have added a trigger warning? :ohdear:

Tracula fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 16, 2015

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

Tracula posted:

Alright, I'm brand new to this whole old FPS thing :v: I got the Doom bundle on steam, Brutal Doom v20 and Zandronum
Oh no

OH NO

Just when you thought it was safe to read this thread again....

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Tracula posted:

Should I have added a trigger warning? :ohdear:

I would certainly recommend not playing Brutal Doom, or any other gameplay mod, until you've played all four iwads (well three, if you dislike TNT) with the original gameplay. At any rate Brutal Doom sometimes sets people off because it leads to debate that were run into the ground years ago. I can't even think of a way to teal deer the whole controversy because it gets into stupid minutiae of oldschool versus newschool and Doomworld versus zdoom.org and Sergeant Mk IV's atrocious personal conduct, and gently caress it, just go play Doom. It's good.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

BattleMaster posted:

That's better than I thought; I actually didn't realize that any of the old hands were still around.

Tim Willits made some neat levels for Quake, I guess? He was barely involved in Doom unless a single level for Ultimate Doom counts.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

DoombatINC posted:

The jump in gameplay quality between Hard Reset and Shadow Warrior gave me the impression that Flying Wild Hog is eager to learn from their past mistakes. If we see a comparable jump between SW 1 and 2, then it'll be something special.

Yeah! I wasn't big on SW1, but even the few minutes of footage for 2 shows a lot of improvement and promise.

Mak0rz posted:

After watching more of that video I realize that Wild Hog needs to get their hands on the Turok franchise. God drat.

I am now imagining Machinegames doing their brand of serious/shclocky on a Turok game that has me simultaneously laughing at the absurdity of what's happening but also genuinely caring about the characters. :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Alain Post posted:

Tim Willits made some neat levels for Quake, I guess? He was barely involved in Doom unless a single level for Ultimate Doom counts.

It does if it's e4m2 (aka the best map)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mak0rz posted:

Romero made E4M2.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Mak0rz posted:

it's e4m5

His levels for Quake were among the best though.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Mak0rz posted:

That's a funny way to spell e2m2 :v:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fun trivia is that it's commonly thought* that Tim Willits' wife did most of E4M6

*as "commonly" as any rumor about obscure Doom mapping trivia can actually be

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DoombatINC posted:

That's a funny way to spell e2m2 :v:

E2M2 isn't an Ultimate Doom map.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

JerryLee posted:

it's e4m5

oh :geno:

JerryLee posted:

His levels for Quake were among the best though.

Which ones are those?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Mak0rz posted:

Which ones are those?

M2 through M5 of episode 1, E2M7, E3M5 and collaboration on E3M6, and E4M1.

I think what really stands out is his versatility. The other mappers all had one or two looks/episodes that were "theirs," but Willits was able to dip into all the styles and do it well. I think Gloom Keep is the real standout--it's the sort of baroque style that E4 tried to be about but wasn't nearly as good at in the hands of Sandy.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I thought E4 was basically chaff that didn't fit in any other episode

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Alain Post posted:

I thought E4 was basically chaff that didn't fit in any other episode

In Quake or Doom? Because E4 of Quake is really good imo.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
What's the current best windows source ports for Quake 1 and 2 if you don't care about having multiplayer or perfect matching of software rendering look?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Darkplaces and the unofficial Quake 2 patch.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

uncleKitchener posted:

I remember I was at a convention where they had a bunch of Steel Battalion stations set up, and I gave it a try.

Do you remember how as a kid, you parents wanted to try playing video games, and you could tell they were struggling to try and figure out all the controls? That how I felt trying to play Steel Battalion for the first time.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Nintendo Kid posted:

What's the current best windows source ports for Quake 1 and 2 if you don't care about having multiplayer or perfect matching of software rendering look?

QuakeSpasm for Quake 1. Or, if you want to do the add-a-bunch-of-texture-packs thing, DarkPlaces.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

uncleKitchener posted:

It's not just you - that poo poo is great.

Plus, if you track down the drivers, you can use it for more than just Steel Battalion...

:smug:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

JerryLee posted:

M2 through M5 of episode 1, E2M7, E3M5 and collaboration on E3M6, and E4M1.

I think what really stands out is his versatility. The other mappers all had one or two looks/episodes that were "theirs," but Willits was able to dip into all the styles and do it well. I think Gloom Keep is the real standout--it's the sort of baroque style that E4 tried to be about but wasn't nearly as good at in the hands of Sandy.

He also did DM1, DM5, and DM6, the latter being one of my fav Q1 MP maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Alain Post posted:

Seeing developers try to break down why Doom 2 was great by saying things like "it was fast" or "It has a shotgun" depresses me. There are about a million games where you are fast, and not very many of them are as good as Doom 2.

Seriously it's like trying to explain why chess has been popular for so long by saying "You can move the pieces. Also you can capture them".

It's more depressing because their entire thesis boils down to "run fast, shotgun" but their games are slow and their shotguns suck.

SilentW posted:

If they can't make this thing work, look great, AND perform well, idTech is completely hosed in a licensing sense.

It's already hosed in a licensing sense because Zenimax won't be licensing it to external developers.

Tiger Schwert posted:

Do you have any more information on idStudio? I haven't heard anything about that.

Carmack was speculating about it on Twitter but I don't think id/bethesda said anything about it themselves.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 16, 2015