Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope they cancel KH3 in a real monkey paw move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Cloud was kind of a goober in what I played of Crisis Core, so it seems like they at least remembered he wasn't always Vincent 2.0. So I at least somewhat hope they'll remember it for this.
the crisis core team was pretty 'b-team' from what i remember. no nomura or nothin'

funnily it was the closest of any of the spinoff material to matching the tone of ff7

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Well, guess I'm going to have to eventually get a PS4. I know remade VII will probably be made all serious and whatnot, but I'll still play the poo poo out of it. That and The Last Guardian, which I'd been pretty convinced was permanently lost in development hell.

I don't know why people are saying they're gonna take out all of the dumb poo poo in 7. 7 may have been the series peak for that kind of thing but there's still plenty of it in later games up to and probably including 15 and the fact that they decided to have AC be a huge downer doesn't mean they're gonna go back and make the original story the same thing.

Endorph posted:

the crisis core team was pretty 'b-team' from what i remember. no nomura or nothin'

funnily it was the closest of any of the spinoff material to matching the tone of ff7

Crisis core was a great game whenever Genesis wasn't onscreen.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

anyway there's no way it doesn't have VA work. bring back lance bass as sephiroth

I just realized that this means we are going to have a huge loving 90 second CGI explosion fest of Sephiroth tearing the universe apart. That will make the whole game worth it IMO

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

I hope they cancel KH3 in a real monkey paw move

I hope they realize they can't make two big games at once and mash FF7R and KH3 together into some horrific Frankenstein's Monster game.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Cloud was kind of a goober in what I played of Crisis Core, so it seems like they at least remembered he wasn't always Vincent 2.0. So I at least somewhat hope they'll remember it for this.

That's my biggest concern. Cloud's character was really lost in the EU as a mopey turd, when he retained a lot of his sassiness and (more well-placed) confidence in the later parts of 7.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

I don't know why people are saying they're gonna take out all of the dumb poo poo in 7. 7 may have been the series peak for that kind of thing but there's still plenty of it in later games up to and probably including 15 and the fact that they decided to have AC be a huge downer doesn't mean they're gonna go back and make the original story the same thing.
the main thing people are worried about is that it isn't just AC, it's pretty much everything involving FF7 including Dissidia, kingdom hearts, etc. they've marketed and branded ff7 a specific way, and that brand isn't really in-tune with the original game at all.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

Because Nomura is directing and he directed the KH games and AC where a lot of that stuff came from.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
The game that ruined the Final Fantasy series.

It was the beginning of the end.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Keltar posted:

uh yeah, okay buddy :rolleye:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Keltar posted:

FFVII isn't even much different from the SNES games aside from FMVs and polygons.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Keltar posted:

no that was ff8

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Keltar posted:

get this: there have been more good ff games post ff7 than pre ff7

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Not going to lie, I'm sincerely interested in the remake.

I just don't have really strong feelings (or memories) about FF7 other than the fact that it was a pretty good game. The PSX era wasn't exactly starved for great JRPGs, or even bad/janky JRPGs that are somehow really memorable.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Keltar posted:

All of the games except 2 and 8 are either good or at least bad in a funny way, though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Keltar posted:

I, too, pretend to remember FF2 famicom.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Endorph posted:

get this: there have been more good ff games post ff7 than pre ff7

it's hosed but true

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Kanfy posted:

VII is also so hilariously politically incorrect that if they remade it faithfully it'd probably get torn apart. It's just really not a game that benefits from or needs a modern remake, it was a creation of its time with its own weird-rear end charm and atmosphere that's straight up impossible to bring back properly today.

But I guess we'll see how things go and if it ends up being true in the first place.

How so? I barely remember anything about FF7 or it's spinoffs other than

OIL CLOUD

I AM THE MAN

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

cock hero flux posted:

All of the games except 2 and 8 are either good or at least bad in a funny way, though.

8 is absolutely bad in a funny way

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Motto posted:

FFVII isn't even much different from the SNES games aside from FMVs and polygons.

Well, FMVs would eventually lead them to brink of ruination..

slev
Apr 6, 2009

They better bleep Cid and Barret

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Well, FMVs would eventually lead them to bring of ruination..
it wasn't FMVs, it was making FMVs in an incredibly dumb way

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't wait to protect Fort Condor, jump with a dolphin, march in tact with the Shinra army, and more, in HD

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

slev posted:

They better bleep Cid and Barret

They need to do what the original game did and bleep out gently caress and bitch but just throw the word poo poo around like nothing.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

FMVs gave us the pretty bitchin' rad opening to VIII, so they're cool in my book.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Terper posted:

I can't wait to protect Fort Condor, jump with a dolphin, march in tact with the Shinra army, and more, in HD

I am gonna mosey the gently caress out of it

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I'm not interested in the remake, but you know what

I hope it's cool and good for those who are

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

AngryRobotsInc posted:

FMVs gave us the pretty bitchin' rad opening to VIII, so they're cool in my book.

And the opening to VII, which is still one of the best game intros of all time

Final Fantasy was on that in medias res poo poo as early as FF2, though, and it's always been one of the things the series does consistently right

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The guy who made FF 3 and 4 DS remakes worse isn't still around, is he?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the 4 remake had some cool ideas actually

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

The guy who made FF 3 and 4 DS remakes worse isn't still around, is he?

They cloned him 500 times and they're all working on the FFVII remake

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Endorph posted:

being a 3D game on the DS not among them

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

I legit like the remake of IV, and it's my preferred version to play now. I'll sometimes go back to the GBA one, but more often the DS version (well, on PC now, because I lost my copy).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Motto posted:

being a 3D game on the DS not among them

true

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad for the remake and hope it goes well. I also hope they adapt everything pretty faithfully and tastefully without loving some things up.

Good luck to Steve Burton on his nice paycheck.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Endorph posted:

shame about the execution

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They should have given it to the Lightning Returns team, so we could dress Cloud in pretty dresses for the entire game.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Beef Waifu posted:

I also hope they adapt everything pretty faithfully and tastefully
The Cutie Cloud segment?
Choose one.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I hope since it's an honest to god remake they do actually change things significantly enough while leaving in enough to maintain the "soul" of the game itself.

Like hopefully the game has a kingdom hearts style active battle system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

The Cutie Cloud segment?
Choose one.

When I saw tastefully I mean I want it the exact same dammit

Crossdressing Cloud better be in or I'm boycotting