Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fritz
Jul 26, 2003

JawnV6 posted:

no

you've got enough horsepower to manage a BTLE stack, that sets a lower bound on the peripheral compute capability. now you've got a 20b/s (spec is 35KB/s thru, but that's in an EMI chamber with full control of when packets/notifications are sunk) channel out to something a few orders of magnitude better, and from there if latency is not important you're punting to essentially infinite resources in the cloud

stopping at the phone is almost never going to be the right answer

we've got a low powered arm chip that's already loaded to the gills with work and no hardware float, and it's coming down to 'deal with all the fixed point underflow and implement all these routines' versus 'send a couple hundred bytes up the pipe when needed and get the answer basically instantly'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

c electron s: holy poo poo nightmare hellscape verilog mess is coming to life and like working in hardware and everything at the target clock rate haaaaaiiiil satannnn

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull
how fast is the target clock?

how fast????

(fpga speed junkie)

ps i have been janitoring bits in systemverilog a few weeks now and i'm really liking it. holy poo poo, multidimensional arrays and/or structs allowed in port lists? fuuuuuuuck yessssss

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

BobHoward posted:

how fast is the target clock?

how fast????

(fpga speed junkie)

ps i have been janitoring bits in systemverilog a few weeks now and i'm really liking it. holy poo poo, multidimensional arrays and/or structs allowed in port lists? fuuuuuuuck yessssss

at work we (not me, the actually smart people) are doing a 250MHz design and it is like woah

we're in the biggest part xilinx makes and its not enough

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

250 is in the exciting zone for 7 series for sure. okay if you go nuts on the low level optimizations, but unless your design is a giant array of identical components you are going to be spending a lot hiring enough expert designers to fill a xc7v2000 with that much highly optimized rtl

ive done some (very limited) poo poo in fuckoff nuts territory, aka 500 MHz. it was in virtex5 too. it was... entertaining. you spend tons of time knee deep in synthesis output figuring out how to write code to make it generate the luts and flipflops you want. this is sometimes v. painful when the synthesis tool absolutely.loving.refuses to extract the flipflop clock enable signal you coded in such a way that you could not possibly imagine the synthesis tool failing to recognize it as a CE

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

BobHoward posted:

the main CλaSH developer asked if maybe he should deprecate the SystemVerilog back-end because he's brought up a Verilog back-end

people replied saying essentially "oh god please don't" because SystemVerilog is so much nicer

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

did anyone tell him that technically there is no such thing as plain vanilla verilog any more? true story, the standards committee decided that unlike c family languages they weren't going to bother maintaining the original language as a separate standard any more

sv is mostly what verilog always should have been, except insofar as it has to preserve some unfortunate design mistakes to keep being a superset of verilog. that aside, they've fixed so many of the horrible glaring weaknesses

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

52 MHz so not particularly blazingly fast and parts of it should actually be slower but we didn't feel like dealing with clock domain crossing just yet

sysv would own if tools supported it but :rip:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bump

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
async clock crossing is sweet, one of those concepts that took 1.5 passes for me to understand

gray codes, bubble gaps, its all p. neat

movax
Aug 30, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

async clock crossing is sweet, one of those concepts that took 1.5 passes for me to understand

tell me more about the clock crossing

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
you see a clock pulse crossing zero. It's inverted. You don't throw an interrupt. Why is that?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
it's not that hard if you don't care about determinism, there's a head/tail pointer encoded w/ gray code so it doesn't matter if a signal from one domain doesn't settle by the time the other samples it

you end up with bubbles and one of the interfaces probably has to be capable of backpressure

omg flow control credits negotiated during link training

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

stick an ipcore fifo on every boundary boom problems solved

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

BobHoward posted:

250 is in the exciting zone for 7 series for sure. okay if you go nuts on the low level optimizations, but unless your design is a giant array of identical components you are going to be spending a lot hiring enough expert designers to fill a xc7v2000 with that much highly optimized rtl

ive done some (very limited) poo poo in fuckoff nuts territory, aka 500 MHz. it was in virtex5 too. it was... entertaining. you spend tons of time knee deep in synthesis output figuring out how to write code to make it generate the luts and flipflops you want. this is sometimes v. painful when the synthesis tool absolutely.loving.refuses to extract the flipflop clock enable signal you coded in such a way that you could not possibly imagine the synthesis tool failing to recognize it as a CE

same

karasu
Jan 3, 2008

Bloody posted:

stick an ipcore fifo on every boundary boom problems solved

love me some fifos.

currently writing a multi channel video framebuffer and I cant get enough of those. clock domain crossing, width adaption, flow control, burst smoothing, alll in one handy package.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

hey fellow bit janitors, im looking for a bluetooth soc that has a dac, any suggestions? it seems to be a surprisingly hard combo to find.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

JawnV6 posted:

once long ago i found a bug in a display controller that was causing a pixel to get dropped and i spent a whole day figuring out that it was an issue with a clock crossing fifo and i think that was the first time i really understood it

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Bloody posted:

hey fellow bit janitors, im looking for a bluetooth soc that has a dac, any suggestions? it seems to be a surprisingly hard combo to find.

anything from nordic?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

like this? http://m.ti.com/product/CC2540

ick 8051, etc.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

i don't see a dac on that?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

movax posted:

anything from nordic?

nope. closest candidates so far are a silabs chip with a 4-bit current dac (current would be fine but 4 bits is wtf?) and a csr8670 which may or may not be usable but i will probably never know because they do not seem to be people who deal with low-volume people although the part is on digikey??

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Bloody posted:

nope. closest candidates so far are a silabs chip with a 4-bit current dac (current would be fine but 4 bits is wtf?) and a csr8670 which may or may not be usable but i will probably never know because they do not seem to be people who deal with low-volume people although the part is on digikey??

http://www.mouser.com/new/panasonic/panasonic-pan1740-ble-module/ maybe??

edit: nope lol

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

current best candidate seems to be slapping either a lovely standalone radio like one of the nordic chips with a micro that does everything else or one of these bluetooth soc chips with a lovely standalone dac but neither option is appealing

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ehh given the size i'd just as soon slap together a dedicated radio and a micro

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

bonus points: wireless charging support. didn't even think might be a thing but i just saw one of the dialog bluetooth socs has it (but still no dang dac)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

http://www.reddit.com/r/electronics/comments/39zv50/recharging_a_lithiumion_battery_pack/ posted:

Few days ago, I got lithium ion batteries from salvaged electronics. I hooked them up in the configuration that give more amps (P to P and N to N) and it gave out about 9000mA/H. I'm having trouble charging the battery pack. The battery pack gives about 4 volts and currently has 3.8 volts. I've charged it with a 500mA 5V charger with positive to positive and negative to negative. I've also charged it the opposite way positive to negative and vise versa. My voltage meter still kept saying that the voltage was the same even after one full hour of charging. I'm wondering what is going wrong and how I can fix it. FYI I've let this charge for about 6 hours straight and still no heat or voltage increase could be seen and felt. Also, the wires I used to charge them are connected to the wire that outputs the power. The diagram is here: https://imgur.com/dD7M9Vi

I'm wondering how I could get it to charge. Any help would mean a lot.

FYI, I'm fairly new to electronics.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

is there anything like this test block but with a united states plug on it?

it supplies line power to whatever's clamped into those terminals, but only when it's clamped shut. it would be just about the most useful thing for testing stereos that have had the cords chopped off, but i can only find the european versions

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Bloody posted:

i don't see a dac on that?

hurf I parsed DAC as ADC

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

the best part of lithium ion batteries is that little bag that's in cells that contains the explosion

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

I know the dangers of working with Lithium batteries, that's why I never go above 500mA. Also, I'm majoring in Chemistry but I need this for electrolysis.

I swear chemists are one of the biggest danger to electronics

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Bloody posted:

current best candidate seems to be slapping either a lovely standalone radio like one of the nordic chips with a micro that does everything else or one of these bluetooth soc chips with a lovely standalone dac but neither option is appealing

what's the use case? do you want something like a rn52?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

JawnV6 posted:

what's the use case? do you want something like a rn52?

basically a wireless arbitrary waveform generator with a few K of signal memory operating up to 20 kHz. size > power >> cost, so tightly integrated solutions are appealing

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

does it have to be bt? there's zigbee stuff with DACs

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

atomicthumbs posted:

is there anything like this test block but with a united states plug on it?

it supplies line power to whatever's clamped into those terminals, but only when it's clamped shut. it would be just about the most useful thing for testing stereos that have had the cords chopped off, but i can only find the european versions

why dont you just get that and put a US plug on it?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Sniep posted:

why dont you just get that and put a US plug on it?

because by the time it arrived from the uk my deadline would have passed

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I have no idea what those things would be called in the U.S. but we used a few my undergrad power lab. they were from the 60s, had less shielding, and supported 3 phase 208V

incidentally the undergrad power was the most :black101: thing ever. so much cooler than the actually useful to my current career but full signals lab I was trying to take

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
variac?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just make one ffs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I think that's just a double (triple?) pole single throw knife switch with some extra protection

the gently caress safety version is one of these and a cut off electrical cable: http://www.arborsci.com/knife-switch-double-pole-single-throw

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jun 17, 2015

• Locked thread