Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yolomancer posted:

I guess what he means is force-vassalise HRE members and then diplo-annex them rather than annex then core with admin points, since that way you avoid the unlawful territory malus and the increased coring cost. But "vassal feeding" as such will only work if it's a country that has cores in another country you're planning to invade, otherwise they won't accept the province.

That's what I meant. I didn't mean you should diplo-annex every single lovely county in the HRE, because that's insane. But say Munster annexes their neighbors and they are a respectable 6 or 7 provinces. You should vassalize them in a war and annex them later. Also, yeah, selling provinces is insanely, ridiculously weak now. The pro way is to transfer occupation to your vassal and then demand the provinces. They will be given to your vassal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Larry Parrish posted:

That's what I meant. I didn't mean you should diplo-annex every single lovely county in the HRE, because that's insane. But say Munster annexes their neighbors and they are a respectable 6 or 7 provinces. You should vassalize them in a war and annex them later. Also, yeah, selling provinces is insanely, ridiculously weak now. The pro way is to transfer occupation to your vassal and then demand the provinces. They will be given to your vassal.

Ahhh. How do you transfer?

Also, Brandenburg just became the Emperor and now Luneberg would accept the province it wouldn't buy earlier, which I would do if I hadn't already cored it. So it appears they will accept imperial lands if the Emperor is deemed weak enough, or maybe it's because it's my core now and therefore it would not be illegal territyory.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I now have 3 vassals and kind of wish I went Diplomatic instead of Influence for the extra diplo slot, lol. Oh well, I can diplo-annex Luneberg soon.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yolomancer posted:

Ahhh. How do you transfer?

Also, Brandenburg just became the Emperor and now Luneberg would accept the province it wouldn't buy earlier, which I would do if I hadn't already cored it. So it appears they will accept imperial lands if the Emperor is deemed weak enough, or maybe it's because it's my core now and therefore it would not be illegal territyory.

Territory isn't illegal if it's your core. The modifier persists for a while though.

There's a button to transfer on the province view once you take it. Somewhere in the middle. Province view has like 80 unlabeled buttons for some reason so just hover over it till you see the right one.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I keep getting skunked by new things...I didn't realise that you can't cancel certain movement orders which is so loving annoying.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Larry Parrish posted:

Territory isn't illegal if it's your core. The modifier persists for a while though.

There's a button to transfer on the province view once you take it. Somewhere in the middle. Province view has like 80 unlabeled buttons for some reason so just hover over it till you see the right one.

He needs Art of War tho.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Disco Infiva posted:

He needs Art of War tho.

If you don't have art of war you should probably just revert your game like 8 patches instead. The last few DLCs have been totally essential in my eyes.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I keep getting skunked by new things...I didn't realise that you can't cancel certain movement orders which is so loving annoying.

At least it goes both ways so the tiny ai stacks cant run circles around your army avoiding it before you corner the fucks.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Disco Infiva posted:

He needs Art of War tho.

I have Art of War, so it's all good. Only DLC I don't have is El Dorado but I'll grab it once it's on sale.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

YOu can cancel before they are half way there

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'm really bad at this game. Sigh. I have lost my map gamer patience.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Have you tried 1000 development Daimyo government Sikh empire with 10% discipline and 20% morale traditions!?!! It's like playing on hard mode!

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

same

it feels really bad that the game seems to have changed for the better and i can't get back into it

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah I've been playing in short bursts. Works better than it did before since the fort system make wars better paced.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Just won the TYW as Prussia. The game is much harder but also much more rewarding because it's almost impossible to win by 1600 anymore

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Average Bear posted:

Just won the TYW as Prussia. The game is much harder but also much more rewarding because it's almost impossible to win by 1600 anymore

It's 1603 in my TO -> Prussia game and I'm actually pumped to play for at least another hundred years. It is a good patch

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Same. I just sort of sit and look at the screen and wonder waht im supposed to be doing now

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I'm just gonna carry on with the England game I started. Burgundy got smashed by an alliance of small states and was made to release flanders, holland and picardie as independent. I immediately jumped on flanders and annexed them and fab'd claims on the other 2. Holland is HRE so gonna be a pain to grab, but once I get English channel siphoning all that trade I'm going to be unstoppable. Too bad I took admin tech 4 during the war and now I don;t have enough points to core :gonk:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

England is too powerful now without 100yw. If you wanted to keep your continental stuff last time you had to scrape for it. Now I just build up my fresh army and go stomping.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Knuc U Kinte posted:

England is too powerful now without 100yw. If you wanted to keep your continental stuff last time you had to scrape for it. Now I just build up my fresh army and go stomping.

England ended up with 0 0 0 rulers twice in a row for well over a hundred years in my current game, that knocked them down quite a few pegs. First was henry vi and I guess they just got a really lovely ruler from war of the roses. It kind of worked out tho cause france got smashed by two coalition wars in a row and completely exploded, now the french minors are divided along protestant and catholic lines and are busy thunderdoming it out while savoy sweeps up all the pieces. Common Sense owns

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
The worst is when you take a dip tech and need to wait years to take your war peace deal

DICKHEAD
Jul 29, 2003

I actually lost the English Civil war cause I went parliamentarian and then got stomped by an event spawned army of like 60,000 pretenders cause I only had 30k guys in England itself and didn't want to bother carting guys home from India lmao

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Vassal ai seems different. Neither Normandy or guyenne lift a finger in my aggressive wars.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Average Bear posted:

The worst is when you take a dip tech and need to wait years to take your war peace deal

Or when you take an admin tech in war and can't core the poo poo you take...which I just did.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Further to what we were talking about the other day, it seems vassal feeding is well and truly alive. If you do the siege ownership transfer (as suggested by Larry, thanks Larry) you can transfer as many provinces as you want to your vassal, and what's more, the Emperor will NOT demand unlawful territory from them, which means not only do you get the full vassal benefit from the provinces, but when you diplo-annex you of course get a core without the unlawful territory malus. Good poo poo. And with Influence and Administrative ideas (which seem to be the best idea groups in DIP and ADM respectively, unless you're colonising) you can massively reduce the cost of diplo-annexation. You get -25% from Influence and then a further -20% from filling out Influence and Administrative.

Here's a screenshot of the current game. I thought I'd post it since it has interesting borders. Provence absolutely smashed France in their last war, Ottomans are reaching deep into Europe, Novgorod has destroyed Muscovy with Sweden's help and Sweden, as it seems to do in every game now, completely envelops Denmark and Norway. This actually hosed me over pretty hard since right as I got claims on Skane + Sjaelland and took the Sound Toll mission, Sweden invaded Denmark and sieged both provinces before I could get to them, which meant I had to cancel the mission and now it's not showing up again. gently caress you OP Sweden.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Brandenburg is my vassal in that screenshot but I'm running out of places to expand into since everyone near me is allied with either Austria, or Poland or Sweden, or a combination thereof. Sweden is allied with Novgorod, I was allied with Novgorod for a while but they broke the alliance. No idea how I'm gonna deal with Sweden.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yolomancer posted:

Brandenburg is my vassal in that screenshot but I'm running out of places to expand into since everyone near me is allied with either Austria, or Poland or Sweden, or a combination thereof. Sweden is allied with Novgorod, I was allied with Novgorod for a while but they broke the alliance. No idea how I'm gonna deal with Sweden.

Build a bigger navy than England and invade Ireland with a no CB war. Then after your core that, you'll be able to fab claims on Scotland and Wales, so you can use those two as released vassals to feed them England and annex. That's usually what I do if I have nowhere to go in Northern Europe. If they have strong allies then I guess you could always take exploration ideas and go make a CN to pass the time for the alliance webs to break up a little.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Larry Parrish posted:

Build a bigger navy than England and invade Ireland with a no CB war. Then after your core that, you'll be able to fab claims on Scotland and Wales, so you can use those two as released vassals to feed them England and annex. That's usually what I do if I have nowhere to go in Northern Europe. If they have strong allies then I guess you could always take exploration ideas and go make a CN to pass the time for the alliance webs to break up a little.

25 years later and not only did Mecklenburg drop their alliance with Austria for some reason, (so I promptly vassaled them) but Cleves got released (so I vassaled them) and then Sweden went Protestant and lost their alliance with England AND Novgorod, both of whom are now allied to me. I just declared on Sweden and we destroyed them, got Skane + Sjalland, completed the Sound Toll mission. I'm the baddest motherfucker on the continent by now, but I have a huge coalition forming against me, so I gotta cool my jets for a little bit.

Yolomancer
Aug 9, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Oh we also sunk the entirety of the Swedish navy so their days as a superpower are over.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Buff Novgorod is cool.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Killing a lucky nation always feels cool. As England I've pretty much hamstringed both France and Austria before the game has gotten out of the opening stages by leaping all over Burgundy's stuff. Provence stole Brittany and Avignon and I joined a war against France and smashed their army. Gonna take the rest of Aquitaine off them and give it to Guyenne. Austria doesn't do poo poo without the Netherlands so I'm gonna wait until our royal marriage ends and beat the poo poo outta Holland.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Taking 2 provinces and I get a giant coalition against me...sigh...that's what I get for letting my only ally Austria get pwned to death in never ending HRE wars for my own gain.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
that feel when you kill burgundy's king in a random fight in the middle of a war where you're both minor allies

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Killing a lucky nation always feels cool. As England I've pretty much hamstringed both France and Austria before the game has gotten out of the opening stages by leaping all over Burgundy's stuff. Provence stole Brittany and Avignon and I joined a war against France and smashed their army. Gonna take the rest of Aquitaine off them and give it to Guyenne. Austria doesn't do poo poo without the Netherlands so I'm gonna wait until our royal marriage ends and beat the poo poo outta Holland.

If you enforce the union on France ASAP, you'll guarantee that Burgundian Inheritance never fires, leaving you to hoover up all that land yourself.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I don't want a union with France.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I don't want a union with France.

Oh well. Burgundian Inheritance doesn't fire after 1500 anyway.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Burgundy lost everything in the Netherlands in the first decade. I think their stuff belonging to subjects has made them weak like France too. Anyone they lose a war to is gonna demand releasing vassals and then boom, bye bye burgundy. A couple of wars and they're toast.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I think I'm still in the 1470s and I've almost completely taken over the English channel. Wondering why I can't get the mission to vassalise Scotland now.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I said saying babby is bad in the games eu4 thread and someone linked me a post of the wiz saying it like "oh yeah, if its so bad them how come the world's biggest n****r says it? Hmm?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Actually I was wrong and they guy thought wiz is a tard too.