Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Cubey posted:

I am kinda worried about an FF7 remake tbh. I don't want them to introduce anything from the awful EU, I don't want them to change Cloud's personality to match the incorrect impression of him that the internet has made up in their minds, and I don't know how they'll make the backgrounds as detailed and interesting to look at without using pre-rendered mattes like the original game.

It's still cool that they are doing it though.

Yeah I'm really hoping that he has the actual personality he had in FF7 rather than what people think he had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

TheMcD posted:

OK, seriously, what the gently caress is going on right now? Nintendo just shoves Mother 1 out there like it's just a coincidence they've been sitting on it for ages, Square Enix finally seems to be running so low on money or something that they hit the big red button of "FFVII Remake", and now Shenmue 3 is going on Kickstarter? Is there some sort of celestial alignment going on right now?

And I just noticed they're asking for two million. That's pretty hefty - I'm actually not sure this is coming together.

EDIT: Though they already have 100K, and it's going up incredibly fast. It might ride the hype far enough.

It just broke 300K a minute ago. It's almost 10K a minute right now.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Carbon Thief posted:

It just broke 300K a minute ago. It's almost 10K a minute right now.

Yeah, it's going crazy. I guess being announced at E3 will give you that kind of buzz. I've never seen Kickstarter just up and die from being hammered with requests like that - the page is timing out constantly. Could this break the record Bloodstained set just a while ago?

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.
Frank was a son of a bitch. I played the poo poo out of the Ultima games on NES, but Earthbound's Frank is the first boss I can clearly remember having to grind for. Don't get me wrong I loved every second of it but man when he'd hit you with stab or whatever his powerful attack was that poo poo was all over.

I will finally get a chance to play my dollar exchange game soon and will post up some cd-i goodness.

Just because I can, here's a picture of one of my game room shelves that's ever so slowlllllllly getting cleaned up and organized. Those acrylic phone holders Caitlin and someone else mentioned are pretty drat cool.

(I didn't realize the pictures were so drat dark, too lazy to retake now)

See if you can spot the camouflaged cat in the picture too...If you didn't, here's the solution to the puzzle (he's sleeping with one eye partially open to help you find him too)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Tyson Tomko posted:

See if you can spot the camouflaged cat in the picture too...If you didn't, here's the solution to the puzzle (he's sleeping with one eye partially open to help you find him too)

your catte looks a lot like my catte. a good catte.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sadly, the operation wasn't a success.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jun 16, 2015

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

univbee posted:

Square Enix decided to remake remake FF7, coming first to PS4. I was very wrong about it as it's apparently not "too costly".

EDIT CUBEYYYYYY

Yep I'll eat those words with a fork I said last night.

I spent far too long fighting Kickstarter's servers but got in on the first 100 for a physical copy. Way too excited after tonight I don't think I'll be able to sleep. Also g'drat I wonder how high it's going to go. Already past 560k. It's going so fast the number jumps up and then backwards because the server's so broken.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Shenmue 3 worries me because Yu Suzuki has been making failed phone games for the past 5 or so years and I don't think his team is very big. Knowing the amount of detail that was in the previous two games they really have to get their poo poo together unless they compromise on the original FULL REACTIVE EYES ENTERTAINMENT.

Cubey posted:

I am kinda worried about an FF7 remake tbh. I don't want them to introduce anything from the awful EU, I don't want them to change Cloud's personality to match the incorrect impression of him that the internet has made up in their minds, and I don't know how they'll make the backgrounds as detailed and interesting to look at without using pre-rendered mattes like the original game.

Square has some of the best 3D world designers in the biz. I haven't been let down by a Final Fantasy's world design ever. I don't like the aesthetic in some of them but detail? They never skimp on that.

Agree on all other parts. Final Fantasy 7 is really crass, humorous, and perverted even while being melodramatic and anime as gently caress. If they remove the irreverence of the whole thing then throw it in the garbage.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

al-azad posted:

Final Fantasy 7 is really crass, humorous, and perverted even while being melodramatic and anime as gently caress. If they remove the irreverence of the whole thing then throw it in the garbage.

oh christ that reminds me: the gently caress are they gonna do with the don corneo and honeybee inn section.

that alone would surely make the game m if they don't change it? i mean cloud has a train run on him by a bunch of gay weightlifters in a hottub.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cubey posted:

oh christ that reminds me: the gently caress are they gonna do with the don corneo and honeybee inn section.

that alone would surely make the game m if they don't change it? i mean cloud has a train run on him by a bunch of gay weightlifters in a hottub.

Cloud goes door to door beating up pimps and whores to discover how to infiltrate the Don's mansion. He breaks in by throwing a motorcycle through the door, does a flying back flip over 80 dudes, kamehamehas them into oblivion, summons Shiva to knock out the guard scorpion, and threatens to cut off the Don's balls in a flourish. *cue fanfare*

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012

Cubey posted:

and I don't know how they'll make the backgrounds as detailed and interesting to look at without using pre-rendered mattes like the original game.

Move over pre-rendered still images, it's FMV's time to shine again! Come on Sony, we can herald in the great golden age of FMV once more! Together! You remember Johnny Mnemonic don't you? I still remember. :smith:

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

TheMcD posted:

EDIT: Though they already have 100K, and it's going up incredibly fast. It might ride the hype far enough.

It's at 1 million now xD

edit: 1.2 million since i posted this, jesussss

Quidthulhu fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jun 16, 2015

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

Cubey posted:

your catte looks a lot like my catte. a good catte.

Heck yeah black cats own :woop: Hold the phone I've got 2 blackies

Usually the whole "get your name in the credits" deal doesn't mean all that much. But getting your name in a Shenmue game would be pretty drat cool. I haven't played the second one yet so I'm probably not going to get in on this but the way it's looking that won't matter because it'll hit 2 million within a few hours as the rest of the non US world :retrogames:s it up

Tyson Tomko fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 16, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Shenmue II is definitely one of my favorite games ever. It's like Shenmue 1 but better and bigger in every way. It's extremely focused despite the series long production history and amount of cut characters and content.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Cubey posted:

I hope they update the visuals and keep absolutely everything else the same. Every single terrible thing.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

mikeycp posted:

I hope they update the visuals and keep absolutely everything else the same. Every single terrible thing.

I could go for some changes like them adopting a Tales-series style of map battles rather than random ones. I wouldn't want them to change things like turn-based combat and the materia system though, because at some point it just kinda stops being FF7 if you change too much poo poo.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Cubey posted:

I could go for some changes like them adopting a Tales-series style of map battles rather than random ones. I wouldn't want them to change things like turn-based combat and the materia system though, because at some point it just kinda stops being FF7 if you change too much poo poo.

I mostly meant keep the terribly translated script, tbh.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

TheMcD posted:

OK, seriously, what the gently caress is going on right now? Nintendo just shoves Mother 1 out there like it's just a coincidence they've been sitting on it for ages, Square Enix finally seems to be running so low on money or something that they hit the big red button of "FFVII Remake", and now Shenmue 3 is going on Kickstarter? Is there some sort of celestial alignment going on right now?

I'll admit I'm not the most informed gamer these days, but from my point of view it seems like over the past decade or so Japanese games are in drastic decline. Lots of big-name mergers/acquisitions, once-prominent dev houses going mobile-only. Even arcades in the motherland are drying up. Time to bring out the big guns, I guess.

GO FOR BROKE. TRIUMPH OR DIE.

TheMcD posted:

And I just noticed they're asking for two million. That's pretty hefty - I'm actually not sure this is coming together.

lol, it's already done. 2.1 mil and rising.

e:
:3: Can we make this the unofficial games forum catte thread? :justpost: your cats, please.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jun 16, 2015

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Cubey posted:

There's a million ways you could play that off. Hell didn't the camera just go off screen during the Wightlifter scene? The only real issue is seeing Cloud in drag and they could just show him looking utterly embarrassed for himself at every opportunity.

Hell, could be even more hilarious if they did it right.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Ofecks posted:

:3: Can we make this the unofficial games forum catte thread? :justpost: your cats, please.

ok, I have two black ones too.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Ofecks posted:

I'll admit I'm not the most informed gamer these days, but from my point of view it seems like over the past decade or so Japanese games are in drastic decline. Lots of big-name mergers/acquisitions, once-prominent dev houses going mobile-only. Even arcades in the motherland are drying up. Time to bring out the big guns, I guess.

GO FOR BROKE. TRIUMPH OR DIE.

lol, it's already done. 2.1 mil and rising.

e:

Gizmo is nonplussed by this weekend

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

BATTERY CHAT
Can anyone point me to some best practices for storing devices with rechargeable batteries? I have one of these:

but don't play it a lot, so I'm worried storing it for a long time without a charge/discharge cycle will damage it. I will openly admit ignorance to the different types of battery chemistries and best practices for each.

On a related note, if I bought several replacement batteries and stored them until I needed them (say, 5-10 years from now) would they be ok when I went to use them? My grandpa always used to keep batteries in the refrigerator, does keeping them cold help them last longer, or was he just being a grandpa?

EDIT: forgot cat picture

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I'm seriously shocked at FF7 remake and Shenmue 3 kickstarter. Never thought I'd see the day.

Also Neo Rasa, nice collection ya got there.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Random Stranger posted:

Finally, time enough at last to play all my games.

It's not fair! It's not fair!

Had a good laugh at this. The reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Enough_at_Last

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

RZA Encryption posted:

BATTERY CHAT
Can anyone point me to some best practices for storing devices with rechargeable batteries? I have one of these:

but don't play it a lot, so I'm worried storing it for a long time without a charge/discharge cycle will damage it. I will openly admit ignorance to the different types of battery chemistries and best practices for each.

On a related note, if I bought several replacement batteries and stored them until I needed them (say, 5-10 years from now) would they be ok when I went to use them? My grandpa always used to keep batteries in the refrigerator, does keeping them cold help them last longer, or was he just being a grandpa?

EDIT: forgot cat picture

Lithium ion/polymer batteries should be used to 40-50% charge, then put in a freezer outside the device if possible, in a sealed dry Ziploc bag to prevent condensation from building up. If they're sealed into another device, it's usually best to do the same but in a refrigerator, because screens and the like may be damaged by the freezer.

If the replacement batteries are lithium then absolutely they'll store better in the fridge or freezer. It's unclear whether regular alkaline batteries or nickel based rechargeables benefit all that much, but it really can't hurt - we know that storage in heat reduces their lifespan.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

So who in the thread owns a Gakken TV Boy? It's a console so obscure that Wikipedia doesn't have an article for it (it's not the "TV Boy" they list which were Atari 2600 clones from Europe).

This console was released at about the same time as the Famicom and Sega SG-1000. I was hoping it was released on the same day as the other two so there would be three consoles coming out then, but this thing came out three months after the other two. Six games were released for the system, two of them licensed: Excite Invaders, Mister Bomb, Robotan Wars, Street Fighter 200X (no relation), Super Cobra, and Frogger. All of the games look very primitive compared to all of the other consoles that came out in 1983.

Obviously the controller is embedded in the console. Both of the buttons on the joystick(?) do the exact same thing. [Edit: I found some better pictures and it turns out the button on the "phone" is the other button so both buttons do the same thing.] The phone like thing on the left is permanently attached only has that one button.

Now here's where things get weird: according to Japanese sources I found, the system does not have a CPU or internal memory. They put those in the game cartridge! This is probably why the games all look like something from 1977 instead of 1983. OTOH, if the system survived its launch it would have meant they could keep upgrading its capabilities indefinitely. It would be way too expensive to keep doing that, of course.

Games cost 3800 yen, contained a Motorola 6801 microprocessor which was relatively inexpensive at that point but probably not cheap enough that you'd want them in game carts, and 2k of RAM (that's included because that's what the article I found said, but I'm pretty sure this specification is wrong; maybe it's the size of the ROM and the RAM bank they included if they did some kind of weird memory addressing system). I couldn't find any official comments on why it was killed. Maybe someone realized this thing was a box of insanity designed by committee.

Getting back to my first question, who here has one? I want pics of the inside of a cart because it has to be crazy!

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jun 16, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The_Frag_Man posted:

I'm seriously shocked at FF7 remake and Shenmue 3 kickstarter. Never thought I'd see the day.

Would whoever's performing those satanic/cthulonic rituals to make these things happen please share the steps with the rest of us? :sigh:.

Tyson Tomko posted:

Heck yeah black cats own :woop: Hold the phone I've got 2 blackies

Usually the whole "get your name in the credits" deal doesn't mean all that much. But getting your name in a Shenmue game would be pretty drat cool. I haven't played the second one yet so I'm probably not going to get in on this but the way it's looking that won't matter because it'll hit 2 million within a few hours as the rest of the non US world :retrogames:s it up

If you have the opportunity to play it (or too much disposable income :shepspends:), Shenmue 2 is well worth your time. It's a much better game than the original.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
Right there with you, man.

I took a nap yesterday, woke up 20 minutes later and apparently fell through a goddamn wormhole in my sleep into an alternate reality.

Random Stranger posted:

Sadly, the operation wasn't a success.

Random Stranger posted:

Finally, time enough at last to play all my games.

It's not fair! It's not fair!

VERY MUCH this. :golfclap:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Nintendo Kid posted:

Lithium ion/polymer batteries should be used to 40-50% charge, then put in a freezer outside the device if possible, in a sealed dry Ziploc bag to prevent condensation from building up. If they're sealed into another device, it's usually best to do the same but in a refrigerator, because screens and the like may be damaged by the freezer.

If the replacement batteries are lithium then absolutely they'll store better in the fridge or freezer. It's unclear whether regular alkaline batteries or nickel based rechargeables benefit all that much, but it really can't hurt - we know that storage in heat reduces their lifespan.

That's great info. Thanks!

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Your cat picture link seems to be broken.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Trying to dig up information on that insane TV Boy, I found an even more obscure Japanese console from 1983. Feast your eyes on My Vision:

Released one month before the Famicom and Sega SG-1000, this pathetic system by arcade game manufacturer Nichibutsu somehow never got a single action game. There were only six games released for it and they were all traditional games like Mahjong.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I wonder how many different companies have put out one or more of these barely-qualifies-as-a-console never-acknowledged-again-after-initial-novely-wears-out systems over the decades, there's plenty of 'em from all regions.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Ofecks posted:

Your cat picture link seems to be broken.

I can take one later when I get home. :3:

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Elliotw2 posted:

A tip for Saturn owners, the cheap $5-10 Retrolink and Gtron Saturn USB controllers are 100% identical to the mk2/JP Saturn controllers. It actually ends up being a bit cheap to buy one to refurbish your existing controllers than to order new stuff from Aliexpress or whatever. They're garbage stand alone controllers though, because the plastic they're made from is really awful and cheap feeling, but you could probably just throw a Saturn shell over it and get a good controller from it.

I just want to give warning that this is incorrect. I have a bunch of the Jap Saturn controllers and the cheap USB controllers are not 1:1 with them. The motherboards are completely different so they won't fit right and the shoulder button mechanisms are of a different (inferior) design. I imagine you could use the ABC/XYZ buttons and maybe the rubber membranes but the shells and shoulders do not work. I wish they did since I could a couple white controllers that if I could source some replacement parts I could have up and running.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

flyboi posted:

Gizmo is nonplussed by this weekend

Dreamcats

It's thinking.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
For those of you jerks who don't understand why Shenmue 3 is so amazing someone made an extremely long :effort: post about Shenmue and the history of the game
http://imgur.com/a/wg7MB#MqiWOoF

It's well worth the read and explains just how amazing the game was at the time and still is today. Every once in a while I'll just pop in the game to dick around with getting capsules or any other random thing within the game. If this doesn't convince you to buy the game whenever it comes out you're a terrible human being.

Also an extremely funny random fact about Shenmue - http://www.ign.com/articles/2007/08/08/shenmue-through-the-ages

quote:

The budget on this adventurous project blew out; development ended up costing US$70 Million dollars to create the original game - an unprecedented amount for that time (and still one of the most expensive games ever made), with some of that presumably going into Shenmue II and perhaps the groundwork for III. Parts one and two were finally released on Dreamcast (Shenmue II was released on Xbox) to critical praise but only lukewarm sales. Hilariously, every Dreamcast owner would've needed to buy two copies of the first game for Sega to break even, thanks to the console's limited install base.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
God drat, those Shenmue prices sure hiked up a bit.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Trying to dig up information on that insane TV Boy, I found an even more obscure Japanese console from 1983. Feast your eyes on My Vision:

Released one month before the Famicom and Sega SG-1000, this pathetic system by arcade game manufacturer Nichibutsu somehow never got a single action game. There were only six games released for it and they were all traditional games like Mahjong.

This is bizarre given that Nichibutsu was a player back in the day. Like not even Crazy Climber or Heiankyo Alien? Holy poo poo. Though they did go in hard for this. I have the Super Famicom Arcade Classics compilations they put out. They did two volumes of that on said system, and then like a billion mahjong games.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

BisterdDave posted:

God drat, those Shenmue prices sure hiked up a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Shenmue-II-Xbox/dp/B00006IJIS :laffo: Everyone irrationally despised this port when it came out because it was on an American made system and it was a huge flop you could get for $5 anywhere forever like two months after it came out and, uh, X-Play? Some show listed it as like the single worst video game ever made. So much has changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Now that Shenmue 3 has crushed it's time for me to finally purchase PS1 Shenmue-esque adventure game Mizzurna Falls before that hikes up in price because there will be more "games inspired by Shenmue" posts going up all over the web.

• Locked thread