Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Tiger Schwert posted:

Do you have any more information on idStudio? I haven't heard anything about that.

idStudio was the editor used to make Rage (and eventually released for mapping/modding). If it's correct that SnapMap allows import of custom-built bespoke pieces, and idtech "666" is an evolution of the Rage engine, then etc. and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Tracula posted:

Alright, I'm brand new to this whole old FPS thing :v: I got the Doom bundle on steam, Brutal Doom v20 and Zandronum. Dragging and dropping the .pk3 onto the exe works fine and the game mostly works but I can't seem to reload my second weapon when dual wielding and navigating the menus is more than a little bit of a headahce.
If you never played Doom, you really shouldn't be playing Brutal Doom.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Alain Post posted:

Fun trivia is that it's commonly thought* that Tim Willits' wife did most of E4M6
Tim Willits married his sister?!?

And if by "commonly thought" you mean "confirmed" then yeah

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Linguica posted:

Tim Willits married his sister?!?

And if by "commonly thought" you mean "confirmed" then yeah

It was actually confirmed?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

the doom 4 trailer looks great but the cyberdemon looks a little fat-fat

glam bam rock
Jun 2, 2009

aaaaaaaaawwwwwwwww
WHAM BAM THANK YA GLAM

Jordan7hm posted:

It was actually confirmed?

from the unofficial Master Levels FAQ

Theresa Chasar posted:

I did levels 7, 9, and 10. I also did the original layout for the Ultimate DOOM Level E4M5 "Thy Flesh Consumed." Tim modified it a little, textured it, and added the objects. We also worked on two of the Masters Levels together. I got credit for the second one, but they were both a joint effort. We kept trading the files back and forth. Tim did the final editing on both of them.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

RyokoTK posted:

E2M2 isn't an Ultimate Doom map.

No, you're right

It's the ultimate Doom map

:q:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Poor E1M7, lost in the very final round. :smith:

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

arcsig posted:

If you never played Doom, you really shouldn't be playing Brutal Doom.

I played Doom and Quake a while ago. No real concrete memories of Doom but I really adore Quake though.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Wait what? Powerslave EX got a C&D?? :(

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.

Tracula posted:

I played Doom and Quake a while ago. No real concrete memories of Doom but I really adore Quake though.

If you want to play Quake mods, here's a handy guide someone whipped up for setting up Quake on modern systems. Maps can be found at https://www.quaddicted.com/ and there are so many excellent mods, with Honey and Ontranto being my favorites. I recommend Quakespasm over Darkplaces simply because you can easily switch out mods by using the console instead of mucking about with any .bat files and whatnot.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Woolie Wool posted:

Most people did not use mouse controls in 1993. Many people didn't even have mice in 1993, and for those who did it was a "Windows thing". Mouse controls did not become standard until Quake multiplayer took off in 1997.

Mice were abundant, and Doom only continued the mouse control trend that had started with Wolf3D. It was developed on a mouse-centric system and released on a system that, quite some time earlier, had made a rapid transition to mouse use. Doom made mice even more abundant in games (where they already saw a lot of use), since it was made to be controlled with a mouse.

No. Claiming that Doom was “before mouse control” is silly at best, and history revisionism at worst. It was also primarily distributed via BBSes — places where walk-thoughs and FAQs instantly popped up. So that part is a pretty ignorant claim as well. 1997?! That's a laugh. By then, the entry of the mouse on the scene was ancient history.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

JerryLee posted:

I think what really stands out is his versatility. The other mappers all had one or two looks/episodes that were "theirs," but Willits was able to dip into all the styles and do it well. I think Gloom Keep is the real standout--it's the sort of baroque style that E4 tried to be about but wasn't nearly as good at in the hands of Sandy.

Gloom Keep and Chambers of Torment (though he didn't make that one solo) are some of my all-time favorite vanilla Quake maps. Good to know!

This map loving blows though.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Johnny Law posted:

idStudio was the editor used to make Rage (and eventually released for mapping/modding).

Does Wolfenstein TNO have its own idStudio released?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TerminusEst13 posted:

Oh! In that case, that's actually being done in Zandronum 3.0, so it'll definitely be in the next major upgrade.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d2rjl0wldggsudn/zandronum-3.0-150613-1038-6a22ff8-windows.zip

Here's an alpha build if you want to play around with it.

Thanks!

czg
Dec 17, 2005
hi

Cat Mattress posted:

Does Wolfenstein TNO have its own idStudio released?

No.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Bethesda store is running a 20% off E3 sale. So if you're dreaming about a Doomguy, Cacodemon, or Pain Elemental plush; or fashionable Doom t-shirt, this is probably a good time to acquire one.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Woolie Wool posted:

Poor E1M7, lost in the very final round. :smith:

I wish the voting was happening again, I just played through them all last month.

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

spongeh posted:

i'm at least 5 years out of university, tyvm

I like you, your company, and your latest unveiled game. :beerpal:

Bread Pudding
Aug 7, 2010

Tippis posted:

Mice were abundant, and Doom only continued the mouse control trend that had started with Wolf3D. It was developed on a mouse-centric system and released on a system that, quite some time earlier, had made a rapid transition to mouse use. Doom made mice even more abundant in games (where they already saw a lot of use), since it was made to be controlled with a mouse.
While it's true that Doom has always controlled best with a mouse and keyboard, the default controls didn't do that setup justice. For some ungodly reason you'd have to go forward and backward either by destroying your wrist wrestling the Y axis or somehow using < and > to strafe and the up and down arrow keys to move - which I'm fairly sure required a third hand. I wound up playing keyboard-only due to convenience. :v:

Wasn't until Half Life that WASD became standard, IIRC.

I don't remember if you could remap the controls in old DOS Doom. Old games weren't very keen on letting you reconfigure stuff (as a left-handed kid I suffered quite a bit back then). Not without third party software, at least.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Bread Pudding posted:

I don't remember if you could remap the controls in old DOS Doom. Old games weren't very keen on letting you reconfigure stuff (as a left-handed kid I suffered quite a bit back then). Not without third party software, at least.

The SETUP program for Doom let you remap controls. You could also manually edit the config file to do that, but the SETUP program was easier.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Bread Pudding posted:

I played wolf3D with the keyboard but doom and on was mouse based. WASD was common in Quake in 96. I think it was standard, but I was 12 at the time so my memory could be off a little bit. Either way from QuakeWorld on I was using WASD and so was everyone I played Rocket Arena and Team Fortress with.

On the whole E3 front, I think Doom still has potential, I'll hold of any judgement until I play it. The only issue I had was the weapons seemed weak and the speed was lower than I'd prefer.

The new SW looks good as well. I think the movement system changes will add a fun angle to the gameplay that I felt the first game missed to an extent.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Then I see no reason to assume we're going to see Doom's IdStudio.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Wolf:TNO wasn't designed for being modded though, Doom 4 is, just like how they did release the RAGE mod tools (and they were useless garbage.)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Yeah, Rage Id Studio may as well have not been released, given how useful it was without a server farm and a AAA studio behind your back. I remember hearing it didn't even include their AI pathfinding compiler or something...

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

i was actually really pleasantly surprised by the Doom 4 trailer. I was kind of worried about it, but it looks like they're doing a good job of bringing the hyper-kinetic feel of doom to the new generation. I mean, you can't sell a game on mobility these days without jumping and parkour. The fatalities look neat, and they look like they're context sensitive (position relative to stuff, jumping down on stuff etc) enough to be pretty varied in normal gameplay. The recent far cry games have used a kind of fixed fatality system like that and they worked out to be a ton of fun.

plus I like brutal doom, so it being brutal doomy doesn't bother me. Brutal doom is definitely not just an enhanced version of original doom, but it does bring a lot of modern features to doom, like regaining health from fatalities.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

I don't like Brutal Doom for a bunch of aesthetic reasons mostly and Doom 4 ditches basically all of the parts I hate and keeps the parts that don't hurt Doom at all.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Elliotw2 posted:

I don't like Brutal Doom for a bunch of aesthetic reasons mostly and Doom 4 ditches basically all of the parts I hate and keeps the parts that don't hurt Doom at all.

This is pretty much how I feel.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Nintendo Kid posted:

The SETUP program for Doom let you remap controls. You could also manually edit the config file to do that, but the SETUP program was easier.

You could even get a pretty great WASD plus moust setup going too.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Mak0rz posted:

My girlfriend's brother plays it. It's a pretty neat concept.

SilentW posted:

I want another Steel Batallion. It was all I ever wanted out of Hawken. :negative:

Alehkhs posted:

It's not just you - that poo poo is great.

Plus, if you track down the drivers, you can use it for more than just Steel Battalion...

:smug:

:beerpal:

Max Wilco posted:

I remember I was at a convention where they had a bunch of Steel Battalion stations set up, and I gave it a try.

Do you remember how as a kid, you parents wanted to try playing video games, and you could tell they were struggling to try and figure out all the controls? That how I felt trying to play Steel Battalion for the first time.

Steel Batallion is esentially like driving a car with guns and after years of playing this game, I can still get caught in the moment and fall on my mech's metal arse.

Tippis posted:

No. Claiming that Doom was “before mouse control” is silly at best, and history revisionism at worst. It was also primarily distributed via BBSes — places where walk-thoughs and FAQs instantly popped up. So that part is a pretty ignorant claim as well. 1997?! That's a laugh. By then, the entry of the mouse on the scene was ancient history.

I can attest to this since both Wolf and Doom manuals came with proper instructions on how to actually play with mouse controls and how to set them up.

SilentW posted:

I want another Steel Batallion. It was all I ever wanted out of Hawken. :negative:

Shadow Tower: Abyss? I think that (or really any early Fromsoft game) fits the bill pretty well.

I never got to play show tower or this game, so maybe with a decent rig I can hook up an emulator and play with the fan translation pack.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Bread Pudding posted:

While it's true that Doom has always controlled best with a mouse and keyboard, the default controls didn't do that setup justice. For some ungodly reason you'd have to go forward and backward either by destroying your wrist wrestling the Y axis or somehow using < and > to strafe and the up and down arrow keys to move - which I'm fairly sure required a third hand. I wound up playing keyboard-only due to convenience. :v:

That sounds about right. along with Unreal. Maybe Quake 2 had caught up on the use, but I wasn't able to play it when it first came out so if it did, it didn't stick in my mind. Doom's defaults weren't all that great, no, but easy to remap and the immediately obvious one was to move the strafe controls so everything was on the arrow keys: you offset the keyboard to the left and reached out with your pinky to press shift to run (or not run, as the case might be). Just like with their insane peripheral support, iD was always very good at letting the user tweak their games — I still think this is one of the main reasons we saw the user console appear, not just in the mptest as a debugging tool, but in the live game as well.

Even so, I still remember coming across both my first WASD and ESDF users during that era, although they seem to have picked it up from Descent, where all those extra available keys were mandatory. Basically, it took everyone a while to realise that strafing was the more relevant movement to have at hand — Descent demanded it in every direction, so it's only natural that it put those controls front and centre.

As a personal anecdote, my “best” memory of Doom mouse usage — or, more accurately, the lack thereof — was during Assembly '94 when Compaq sponsored a Doom competition and it was ruled that mouse control was not allowed because it would be unfair to those who had used KB-only controls (more likely: Compaq didn't sponsor them with enough mice to cover the event). Everyone, including some of the organisers, thought this was the stupidest thing they'd ever heard. :v:

Tippis fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 16, 2015

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Well I watched the Doom4 trailer and some gameplay and it looks pretty okay to me. It doesn't really look great, though, ya know? If the story is in the background then the gameplay and action and enemies need to be loving spot on and I'm not sure they were

THey do have a huge loving chaingun though and I think I might have a chaingun fetish because I cracked a smile when I saw that thing. Can't wait to let loose on a (hopefully) horde of demons

[edit] The enemy design is really generic though, in my opinion. The demons, especially the big 'uns, need to have more personality and look, well, I dunno, cooler I guess

That could be a starcraft monster, an unreal monster or a gears of war monster, it's so god drat generic

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 16, 2015

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Tippis posted:

WASD origins
For me it came from playing System Shock. Mouse + keyboard was mandatory (I think the keyboard was technically optional if you were a masochist) but it didn't work like a modern FPS - the mouse was a cursor, so you could shoot anywhere onscreen without changing your direction. I don't think it had re-mappable controls so you were stuck with the keyboard layout, which used WASD as the normal arrow keys and Q/E as strafe. Which is why I still use QWES instead of WASD in modern FPS games :classiclol:

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

that's... that's a pretty big loving gun right there. atleast that part they got right.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

That revenant tho

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

laserghost posted:

That revenant tho

Metal as gently caress

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

After watching the gameplay vid, not just the trailer, I'm excited. Looking forward to knowing more about the game, outside of what was shown at E3, that event that shows broad aspects of games to get people onboard.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Zzulu posted:

Well I watched the Doom4 trailer and some gameplay and it looks pretty okay to me. It doesn't really look great, though, ya know? If the story is in the background then the gameplay and action and enemies need to be loving spot on and I'm not sure they were

THey do have a huge loving chaingun though and I think I might have a chaingun fetish because I cracked a smile when I saw that thing. Can't wait to let loose on a (hopefully) horde of demons

[edit] The enemy design is really generic though, in my opinion. The demons, especially the big 'uns, need to have more personality and look, well, I dunno, cooler I guess

That could be a starcraft monster, an unreal monster or a gears of war monster, it's so god drat generic

I'm guessing that since they're showing the Cyberdemon from the get-go, either we're getting John Romero's head on a stickthe Icon of Sin, or the Spider Mastermind as the final boss.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This is probably a long shot, but do we even know that that is for sure a cyberdemon? Maybe it's a new enemy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

They gave out a little statue of it at the end of the conference and it says Cyberdemon under it.