Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

Bill Nye the Science Guy is way more hyperbolic than I remember. Way too many super-excited kids and quick cuts to Bill dressed up as something.

I'm not trying to hate on Bill cause it was a kids show and a pretty good one, but I tried to watch it and it and thought it was pretty grating. Reminded me of the "so proud to be a nerd" writers and people on my Facebook that act way too excited and make zany jokes and post "I loving love science" and George Takai links all day. I think they sapped their whole personalities from this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

wa27 posted:

I see Netflix recently added Plan B: True. Are there any other skateboarding videos on there or is this a new thing for them?

It's the only one I can remember. I hope they start putting up more skate videos though. If we could get cheese and crackers and maybe some old ones like welcome to hell that would be cool.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

NESguerilla posted:

I'm not trying to hate on Bill cause it was a kids show and a pretty good one, but I tried to watch it and it and thought it was pretty grating. Reminded me of the "so proud to be a nerd" writers and people on my Facebook that act way too excited and make zany jokes and post "I loving love science" and George Takai links all day. I think they sapped their whole personalities from this show.

You can spot real scientists. They are generally fairly well adjusted people who have some social skill yet choose not to exercise it because they are either A: behind on several deadlines at once or B: have developed a finely tuned misanthropy cultivated over a period of years due to interaction with academic or private management, funding agencies and/or undergraduate students.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

That Works posted:

You can spot real scientists. They are generally fairly well adjusted people who have some social skill yet choose not to exercise it because they are either A: behind on several deadlines at once or B: have developed a finely tuned misanthropy cultivated over a period of years due to interaction with academic or private management, funding agencies and/or undergraduate students.

Probably one reason that I didn't much care for the show is that I was raised by real scientists so I know how the real process works. :v:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Bill Nye can go to hell and teach science there. I had the Beakmania as a child, still have the Beakmania as an adult.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

mysterious frankie posted:

Bill Nye can go to hell and teach science there. I had the Beakmania as a child, still have the Beakmania as an adult.

Beakman's outfit always made me think he grew up to become Dr. Clayton Forrester from MST3K.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
As a kid Beakman's crazy hair and outfit fooled me into thinking he was much younger than he actually was. Seeing it today its painfully obvious he was like in his mid-30s.

Edit: Mid 40s actually!

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Basebf555 posted:

As a kid Beakman's crazy hair and outfit fooled me into thinking he was much younger than he actually was. Seeing it today its painfully obvious he was like in his mid-30s.

Edit: Mid 40s actually!

doesn't hurt any that he was on a broadcast station that we watched on lovely CRT televisions

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I have noticed some discussion about Troll 2 on Netflix, but I do not think anyone has mentioned that Best Worst Movie, a documentary about Troll 2, is also available on Hulu Plus if you really need your Troll 2 fix. (I think the doc is okay--the filmmaking is bland, but the subject matter is interesting and the people involved are all kind of odd. The movie is saved by the guy who played the Dad, a really entertaining figure in real life.)

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

AKMoose posted:

I have noticed some discussion about Troll 2 on Netflix, but I do not think anyone has mentioned that Best Worst Movie, a documentary about Troll 2, is also available on Hulu Plus if you really need your Troll 2 fix. (I think the doc is okay--the filmmaking is bland, but the subject matter is interesting and the people involved are all kind of odd. The movie is saved by the guy who played the Dad, a really entertaining figure in real life.)

And you can't piss on hospitality! I WON'T ALLOW IT!

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Let's rent out a giant hall at Comic-con! Clearly this film with a miniscule following will draw a capacity crowd!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

AKMoose posted:

The part with the actress who played the mom is really uncomfortable to watch.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

With all the troll 2 talk I decided to re-watch it. Although after about 5 minutes I realized I had been confusing it with leprechaun 2 and hadn't ever seen it before. Was a bit underwhelmed tbh. I'd still recommend it for a laugh though, it was at least pretty fun. It actually reminded me of some of the movies they used to show in school with how it was acted.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

AKMoose posted:

I was kind of sad the actress who played the Witch didn't show up.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I was kind of sad the actress who played the Witch didn't show up.

She got a root canal from George halfway through, but was supposed to be doing her own movie at the same time.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

alansmithee posted:

It actually reminded me of some of the movies they used to show in school with how it was acted.

The old Goosebumps show was pretty on par with Troll 2 in terms of quality.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Jack Gladney posted:

She got a root canal from George halfway through, but was supposed to be doing her own movie at the same time.

Is there more to this story?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

mysterious frankie posted:

I'm old so my childhood science guy was Mr. Wizard. He wasn't the most exciting, but...actually I don't even remember if that show was any good anymore.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

NESguerilla posted:

I'm old so my childhood science guy was Mr. Wizard. He wasn't the most exciting, but...actually I don't even remember if that show was any good anymore.

I was borderline between the Mr. Wizard and Beakman/Nye runs. Mr. Wizard's World ended in 1990 but was on re-runs for years. Beakman started in 1992 and Nye in 1993. I still think Mr. Wizard was probably the most informative (if less exciting), as it left out a lot of the wiz-bang of Nye and Beakman. I watched a few episodes of Nye and it was way more random/ADD than I remember. I think Nye was a little innovative with that style at the time, but in the post YouTube era that style has been so worn out it's way, way too annoying for me to enjoy it anymore.

Anyway, Mr. Wizard was quite excellent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkJEt1UsUcs

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Franchescanado posted:

Is there more to this story?

I guess it didn't happen. I thought she had included a teaser for it at the end of Best Worst Movie or somewhere on the dvd. She has a twitter and a facebook that are both kind of weird, but she seems like an ok lady and I'm glad she's doing ok. Her being in the movie would have evened out some of the depressing poo poo like the mom and the grandpa.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

LogisticEarth posted:

I was borderline between the Mr. Wizard and Beakman/Nye runs. Mr. Wizard's World ended in 1990 but was on re-runs for years. Beakman started in 1992 and Nye in 1993. I still think Mr. Wizard was probably the most informative (if less exciting), as it left out a lot of the wiz-bang of Nye and Beakman. I watched a few episodes of Nye and it was way more random/ADD than I remember. I think Nye was a little innovative with that style at the time, but in the post YouTube era that style has been so worn out it's way, way too annoying for me to enjoy it anymore.

Anyway, Mr. Wizard was quite excellent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkJEt1UsUcs

Mr. Wizard supremacy. He was the best and the greatest, and you could tell he hated those loving kids and was tolerating them because science education was just that important to him.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Aviator's up on Netflix. It's not flawless but it's very fun to watch Scorsese do poo poo

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah Nightcrawler was my favorite movie of last year. So good. Anyone who doesn't watch it while it's just sitting up there for free is a dummy.
It was a Good Movie. It deserves at least as much bullshit spam as Snowpiercer received from goons. ;)

That Works posted:

Oh drat, son! How many years did/have you worked in some sort of research-based and grant-funded org? :laugh:

My favorite are the ones who spend so much time out of their actual supposed office and study, that they can buy a couple of entirely different furniture sets for their "home" office' stomping grounds, before they ever show up to actually be in the office. And the hipster bicyclist scientists who leave their bikes leaning against the wall inside the building's carpeted hallways because they can't be assed to lock them up 5 feet outside. of the glass wall, like their employees. :snoop:

K. Waste posted:

The way everything plays out in Troll 2 actually benefits from its production being generally lovely. It's a film that's 'dream-like' without being fantastical. It's what a nightmare looks like if you could wake up and remember every single detail, and realize how fake it is. "Vegetarian goblins? Why don't they just grow vegetables?"

But that's also what makes the film so dramatically interesting. The compounding nonsense of the film creates nuance. There actually is an answer to the above question. It's basically a surrealist version of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, where the 'famine' of Nilbog represents the industrial and social decline of small towns in the midwest and south.
You really, really need to watch Best Worst Movie if you haven't already, after seeing Troll 2 and having thoughts on it. Possibly my favorite documentary, and either it's very artfully sculpted, or they had such a treasure trove of random poo poo hit them during filming, that it turned out amazing. It literally has an arc of tension/story. The producer/director/writer are so amazing, and explain so much about the weird+boring Italian horror films which I have been made to sit through by friends with odd tastes..

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jun 17, 2015

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

coyo7e posted:

You really, really need to watch Best Worst Movie if you haven't already, after seeing Troll 2 and having thoughts on it. Possibly my favorite documentary, and either it's very artfully sculpted, or they had such a treasure trove of random poo poo hit them during filming, that it turned out amazing. It literally has an arc of tension/story. The producer/director/writer are so amazing, and explain so much about the weird+boring Italian horror films which I have been made to sit through by friends with odd tastes..

Best Worst Movie does as good a job as it can within its limitations, I think, of presenting the circumstances of Troll 2's production to ultimately be a net positive for society. It still doesn't go far enough, really, because the 'story' of the documentary itself is about its director just being able to get over this humiliating part of his life. It's still stuck in this kind of bemused acceptance that something so bad can be so good. It just doesn't deal with the question of what we are to do socially when confronted with the reality that something shot so cheaply, sloppily, and idiosyncratically is way, way, way better than the majority of conventional, mainstream commercial cinema. In other words, it's not enough about the secret triumph of the independent artist.

I think films that do a better job of doing this include Ed Wood and American Movie. Many of Troma's behind-the-scenes documentaries are actually way better than the movie productions they're filming.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

coyo7e posted:

Oh drat, son! How many years did/have you worked in some sort of research-based and grant-funded org? :laugh:

My favorite are the ones who spend so much time out of their actual supposed office and study, that they can buy a couple of entirely different furniture sets for their "home" office' stomping grounds, before they ever show up to actually be in the office. And the hipster bicyclist scientists who leave their bikes leaning against the wall inside the building's carpeted hallways because they can't be assed to lock them up 5 feet outside. of the glass wall, like their employees. :snoop:

10 years or so at this point. :suicide:

We have the rear end in a top hat that rides his bike down the hall from the elevator to his office. Praying silently for his demise and also his office space.

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

Daedra posted:

Thanks to you that said to watch Peep Show. Is there anything else out there like Trailer Park Boys / Peep Show?

If you've got Hulu, I'd suggest giving Review with Myles Barlow a shot. It starts off very silly, but it gets pretty loving dark in a hurry. I enjoyed, though, fair warning, I was on pain meds when I watched it.

It got remade in America to Review with Forrest MacNeil, which is not quite as good, but it stars Andy Daly, so somehow it's even better.

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?
Since the redesign of the Netflix website, has anyone figured out a way to see what is expiring soon? As far as I can tell, the browser doesn't show this anywhere anymore.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Was the redesign only in certain areas because it looks exactly the same for me still?

Namirsolo
Jan 20, 2009

Like that, babe?

NESguerilla posted:

Was the redesign only in certain areas because it looks exactly the same for me still?

I think I saw something about them slowly rolling it out, so yeah it's entirely possible. The link that let you look at your whole streaming list at once is gone now.

Edit: Nevermind, you now have to access it from the main menu.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
A Series of Unfortunate Events is coming to Netflix!

http://deadline.com/2014/11/a-series-of-unfortunate-events-tv-show-lemony-snicket-netflix-1201274454/

quote:

After bursting onto the original series scene with premium cable-caliber adult fare such as House of Cards and Orange Is The New Black, Netflix is entering a new area: live-action family entertainment. On the heels of picking up AwesomenessTV’s live-action comedy Richie Rich, the streaming company has acquired rights to the best-selling series of books A Series Of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, with plans to adapt them as a live-action series.

Search is underway for a director to help re-create Snicket’s visual world on TV. Netflix is producing the project, which is being fast-tracked, with Paramount Television. Paramount was behind the 2004 movie starring Jim Carrey, which grossed $209 million worldwide.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What does the redesign look like? I just opened mine up and it looks the same as it did like 2 weeks ago when I watched Sense8.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What does the redesign look like? I just opened mine up and it looks the same as it did like 2 weeks ago when I watched Sense8.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Oh. Well I guess I don't have it then because mine looks exactly like that except with a white background and no 3-item display at the top.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Oh nice, they made it the PS4 layout.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Oh and when you hover over a title it gets bigger and shows screenshots from the movie/show and has a description

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
And you can finally click to go to the next set of movies, holy poo poo it's so much faster than that slow-rear end scrolling.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I still preferred God mode.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I hate it

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Now it looks like Hulu on the Wii.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

GonSmithe posted:

Oh nice, they made it the PS4 layout.

I was about to say...