Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Elderbean posted:

Playing vanilla classic and I just got to the assault on the Xcom base and it feels like the difficulty just ramped up to an insane degree. 5 loving cyberdisks and like 8 mechtoids just spawned and more keep spawning.

:xcom:

Welcome to one of the two missions that even Ironman lets you restart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

And THAT is why you don't delay attacking the Alien Base. The difficulty of the enemies during the base counter-attack ramps up the more months have passed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Speedball posted:

And THAT is why you don't delay attacking the Alien Base. The difficulty of the enemies during the base counter-attack ramps up the more months have passed.

Yeah I'm about to do the base assault / defense this month (July) and I'm loving dreading it. I have a Good A/B squad but if my assault goes tits up then the base defense will be terrible. I've lost about 8-10 soldiers so far, mostly MECs I keep chopping up too early so they lack the defense to stay alive. I switched to SHIVs for now until I rank up a proper replacement.I reached 15/16 satellite coverage so now I'm catching up on tactical.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Do the alien base once you get lasers and carapace. You do not want to be facing worse than mutons in there.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Anyone else have trouble differentiating this thread and the Game of Thrones thread lately?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
...what? How?

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Elderbean posted:

Playing vanilla classic and I just got to the assault on the Xcom base and it feels like the difficulty just ramped up to an insane degree. 5 loving cyberdisks and like 8 mechtoids just spawned and more keep spawning.

Please post the end results.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah I'm about to do the base assault / defense this month (July) and I'm loving dreading it. I have a Good A/B squad but if my assault goes tits up then the base defense will be terrible. I've lost about 8-10 soldiers so far, mostly MECs I keep chopping up too early so they lack the defense to stay alive. I switched to SHIVs for now until I rank up a proper replacement.I reached 15/16 satellite coverage so now I'm catching up on tactical.

I did mine in late july, the one I posted here before. Had to sacrifice quite a few blueshirts and even an assault at captain rank at least.

Bradford should've sent SHIVs instead of blueshirts, imo.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I have a MEC, a heavy, two scouts, an assault, and a sniper, all with skeleton armor and lasers. I managed to kill almost everything by going to the second level and spamming overwatch but gently caress this is hard.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Yeah, Rain of Stones is kinda OP for its cost despite its high research, and especially in comparison to earthquake since earthquake at least rolls for defense. I don't think there's another spell that's really comparable for such a low base cost, especially since it can be cast on the first turn. The only way I can think of defending from it if you're attacking is forging tons of luck amulets for your mages or getting Sword of Aurgelmer.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

amuayse posted:

Yeah, Rain of Stones is kinda OP for its cost despite its high research, and especially in comparison to earthquake since earthquake at least rolls for defense. I don't think there's another spell that's really comparable for such a low base cost, especially since it can be cast on the first turn. The only way I can think of defending from it if you're attacking is forging tons of luck amulets for your mages or getting Sword of Aurgelmer.

mages confirmed for 5th class

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Musluk posted:

Also an expanded range of equipment you can give your troopers. Wonder what exactly the luck amulet does, and how it works with RNG seeds.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

amuayse posted:

Are you feeling okay amuayse

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Musluk posted:

I legit would love a goofy magical tac "shooter". Start with mages fresh from the academy using peashooter wands. End up with a grizzled veteran battlemage, his beard half burnt off and his robe covered in bits of ceramic plate hefting a shoulder fired arcane bazooka hand-crafted out of wood, gold and a giant fuckoff crystal.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Anyone else have trouble differentiating this thread and the Dominions 4 thread lately?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Alkydere posted:

I legit would love a goofy magical tac "shooter". Start with mages fresh from the academy using peashooter wands. End up with a grizzled veteran battlemage, his beard half burnt off and his robe covered in bits of ceramic plate hefting a shoulder fired arcane bazooka hand-crafted out of wood, gold and a giant fuckoff crystal.

When I think of this I think of Warhamz wizards, and a light parody on wizarding schools with bright wizards would be amazing since a successful bright wizard already looks like this.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

dyzzy posted:

...what? How?

Did you miss the scene this week where Tyrion was shot out of full cover by a Muton?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Speedball posted:

Nah, just make sure you're six highest dudes are all punchmechs and you'll be camping the spawns because all the other aliens are dead. Make one emp capable if you're doing it super late, I guess.

Then again, rushing a six man punchmech team is comically strong for everything in the unmodded game.

Musluk
May 23, 2011

Notorious QIG posted:

Did you miss the scene this week where Tyrion was shot out of full cover by a Muton?

something something pectoids reanimating corpses

like this

probably contains a spoiler but lol if you care about game of thrones spoilers

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

si posted:

I didn't get the impression turn mechanics worked the same there. It didn't seem to show that something like the melee attack necessarily meant the end of the rangers actions.

it's a big in engine cutscene dont think too hard about it

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I didn't see this brought up, but I'm watching the preview again, and

Hey, those ADVENT troops don't bleed red blood.
They bleed green blood.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Vib Rib posted:

I didn't see this brought up, but I'm watching the preview again, and

Hey, those ADVENT troops don't bleed red blood.
They bleed green blood.

It's antifreeze. So their blood doesn't freeze when passing through their ice-cold, filthy, alien-lover hearts.

On a more serious note, I wouldn't be surprised if heavy, HEAVY gene-augmentation is required to even be an intern at ADVENT.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

I know we all know Advent is v. bad but we saw one of them killing loving owning one of the innocent civies in that video. We know now that they're not even willing to protect bystanders if hostile forces show up.

RoanHorse fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 17, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

RoanHorse posted:

I know we all know Advent is v. bad but we saw one of them killing loving owning one of the innocent civies in that video. We know now that they're not even willing to protect bystanders if hostile forces show up.

They were probably XCOM sympathizers.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

FoolyCharged posted:

Nah, just make sure you're six highest dudes are all punchmechs and you'll be camping the spawns because all the other aliens are dead. Make one emp capable if you're doing it super late, I guess.

Then again, rushing a six man punchmech team is comically strong for everything in the unmodded game.

Haha, is this seriously a thing? It does sound pretty cool, gently caress cover, just charge through everything.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

RoanHorse posted:

Like you never deliberately blow up civilians on terror missions.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

RoanHorse posted:

It was funny to go from "XCOM attacks, civilians screaming, feeling a bit awkward here" to "ADVENT clowning random civilians like the cartoon villains they presumably are".

Cythereal posted:

Like you never deliberately blow up civilians on terror missions.

I believe the technical term is "potential chryssalids".

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kaislioc posted:

It was funny to go from "XCOM attacks, civilians screaming, feeling a bit awkward here" to "ADVENT clowning random civilians like the cartoon villains they presumably are".

I still hope we have plenty of opportunities to go Osama bin Bradford :colbert:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kaislioc posted:

And also "unfortunately close to a bunch of mutons/berserkers/cyberdiscs/cover I need to get rid of." I'm not passing up that rocket shot for you, mister.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Whoever's played The Bureau, can you explain the plot and significance of any details within in? Are there clear links between them and EXALT? What about the plot twist where the MC was possessed by an Ethereal? Is it evil and were the events of the game working towards its :master:?

Kaislioc posted:

Thas cool. The game doesn't need to be incredibly subtle about the nature of power and the relationship between the colonised and collaborators and colonisers. As long as they play up the fact that you're a freedom fighter terrorist then I'm happy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Eimi posted:

I still hope we have plenty of opportunities to go Osama bin Bradford :colbert:

It would be cool if there was a second anti-alien group that was even more extremist. Like they'd murder anyone even lightly associated with the aliens. Think the ISIS to your Al-Qaeda.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

RoanHorse posted:

I think that's lame, personally. I want moral ambiguity. I want to be the uncivilized terrorist cell

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I wish there had been more defensive missions like the xcom base, since forcing the aliens to come to you was a nice reversal from the average maps.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I also really want xcom to be a straight up terror organization, beheading pectoid commanders on YouTube and suicide bombing hospital ufos

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Phobophilia posted:

Haha, is this seriously a thing? It does sound pretty cool, gently caress cover, just charge through everything.

On one hand the run gets kind of strategically boring once you get that far because punch mechs are so fast that you never worry for meld and you'll always be able to instantly punch down opposition because punch damage is stupid strong and guaranteed. (Tier 1 mechs are dirt cheap and perfectly functional until sectopods where you REALLY want an emp user)
On the other going robocop through walls with your fist and flipping people over railings never gets old.

Worth a shot if you're the sort to do dumb gimmick runs imo. The only other one I've done that compared for fun was using all heavies and leveling the map under a barrage of rockets.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

XCOM2: Jagged Alliance

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Kaislioc posted:

:lol:

A Bug
Nov 26, 2008

MOM GET THE CAMERA!
:potg:
Dumb gimmick runs are the correct way to replay the game.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Pharmaskittle posted:

I wish there had been more defensive missions like the xcom base, since forcing the aliens to come to you was a nice reversal from the average maps.

The new missions in Enemy Within tended to work much better because they gave the opposing team a concrete objective like "kill all XCOM agents" or king-of-the-hill and had it move in units in via off-map reinforcements instead of the pod mechanic. Comparing Ashes and Temples to Operation Avenger is like night and day in terms of entertainment.

It was also pretty bad how the council missions actively punish the player for trying to play them the way it suggests (moving quickly to protect the VIP and move them to the skyranger), and the optimal strategy is to slowly creep the map and position yourself while Bradford yanks the camera away every turn and yells at you to rescue them. On non-defense missions I'd like to see a GTA-style escalation of force where after the initial reveal reinforcements get stronger and more numerous if the mission drags on.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I think that's lame, personally. I want moral ambiguity. I want to be the uncivilized terrorist cell
Not really the game for that. This isn't some soul-searching "who are the REAL invaders" situation because it's them. They are the real invaders. They are the ones with giant 10 foot monsters and turrets to shoot civilians if they have protests and black vans that abduct people in the night and literal snake monsters that will eat you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Microcline posted:

The new missions in Enemy Within tended to work much better because they gave the opposing team a concrete objective like "kill all XCOM agents" or king-of-the-hill and had it move in units in via off-map reinforcements instead of the pod mechanic. Comparing Ashes and Temples to Operation Avenger is like night and day in terms of entertainment.

It was also pretty bad how the council missions actively punish the player for trying to play them the way it suggests (moving quickly to protect the VIP and move them to the skyranger), and the optimal strategy is to slowly creep the map and position yourself while Bradford yanks the camera away every turn and yells at you to rescue them. On non-defense missions I'd like to see a GTA-style escalation of force where after the initial reveal reinforcements get stronger and more numerous if the mission drags on.

Bradford: "Secure the VIP"

Van Doorne: "Hey, get down here! Don't let me have all the fun!" :v: x10 as you make sure there's not a spare thinman on the other side of the pit.

Phobophilia posted:

It would be cool if there was a second anti-alien group that was even more extremist. Like they'd murder anyone even lightly associated with the aliens. Think the ISIS to your Al-Qaeda.

Wouldn't mind if EXALT was still active. I'd honestly be fine if we got a bit more from them, especially if they affected the Geoscape, quasi competing and assisting at the same time. Do you move on that fuel depot you've got the codes for? On one hand fat loot, on the other hand incredibly heavy ADVENT/XRAY forces, on the third hand if you don't take it out yourself EXALT's likely to do so but with massive civilian casualties.

• Locked thread