Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

:eyepop:

A transfer fee and a transaction fee?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Chomp8645 posted:

A transfer fee and a transaction fee?

The transaction fee was on all purchases, the transfer fee was for people who took payment to paypal instead of blizzard wallet

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
You know it almost sounds like Blizzard's mind was less on making a fun game and more on milking the cow when they rolled out vanilla D3.

Maybe Archeage was just trying to emulate Blizzard?

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013
Trion has done a way better job at milking a cash cow than Blizzard did though.

After wushu I honestly didnt think I could play a game that did more stupid poo poo in pursuit of enormous whale payments but holy gently caress.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Byolante posted:

Luckily the dev got fired

actually, they moved him to world of warcraft, and completely by coincidence warlords of draenor is a huge pile of poo poo

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

sword_man.gif posted:

actually, they moved him to world of warcraft, and completely by coincidence warlords of draenor is a huge pile of poo poo

Which dev is it, holinka?

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

effectual posted:

jay wilson

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thunderbro posted:

jay wilson

jay wilson has been bad at his job for much longer than d3

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Wasn't jwilson a random spawning slime in Ultima Online? Swear I remember that, but from that far back it may well be dementia.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008

SumYungGui posted:

Wasn't jwilson a random spawning slime in Ultima Online? Swear I remember that, but from that far back it may well be dementia.

http://www.uoguide.com/JWilson

about someone else apparently

effectual posted:

also going to touch on this. holinka is one of ghostcrawler's hand-picked replacements. ghostcrawler is still an elitist grognard but he works for riot now.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thunderbro posted:

also going to touch on this. holinka is one of ghostcrawler's hand-picked replacements. ghostcrawler is still an elitist grognard but he works for riot now.

jay wilson, celestalon, and holinka were apparently all picked by greg street and by their powers combined they will be a bunch of retards with no idea how to design a fun game but lots of ideas to design a game to maximize how long you have to stay subscribed to finish the content provided

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Khako posted:

$140 cashout on quitting? Congratulations, you beat Archeage.

It turned out way better than that. After playerauctions and paypal fees I'm now the proud owner of $441.30 USD. :stonklol: Hahahaha. I loving love this game. I paid all of $30 to trion. I had many hours of placid fun playing farmville. And then I get a big ol' golden parachute.

:dance: :sotw: :duckie: :havlat: :peanut: :monar: :lesnick: :snoop: :coolspot:

:henget:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:bernget:

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Angela Christine posted:

It turned out way better than that. After playerauctions and paypal fees I'm now the proud owner of $441.30 USD. :stonklol: Hahahaha. I loving love this game. I paid all of $30 to trion. I had many hours of placid fun playing farmville. And then I get a big ol' golden parachute.

:dance: :sotw: :duckie: :havlat: :peanut: :monar: :lesnick: :snoop: :coolspot:

:henget:

best outcome will be getting banned so you cant go back even if you want

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Fauxtool posted:

best outcome will be getting banned so you cant go back even if you want

We can hope!

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

In retrospect, I should've got out at the first sign of trouble and sold my 6 plots of land, then cashed out with the gold from it. Probably could've made back the $200ish I put into the game. Instead I just stopped logging in and let my properties get blown up by pubbies :negative:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i liquidated everything I had and gave all my gold to a friend

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i talked the fucker into playing with goons instead of his friends on another server, so when everything blew up and goons stopped playing i felt like it was the least i could do

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
it'll be fun i said

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hey, we didnt know it would turn out like this.

We didnt know...

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
My friend can't stop playing this game. She has nearly 600 apex between her 5 accounts and something like 40 plots of land. Her big goal is to get the 5000 gilda house (she's got the 5000 ready to go) and then I dunno what the gently caress she's going to do after that.

She's going to lose probably all of her land in the server merge later this year, and is only now beginning to entertain the idea of quitting.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Ad by Khad posted:

My friend can't stop playing this game. She has nearly 600 apex between her 5 accounts and something like 40 plots of land. Her big goal is to get the 5000 gilda house (she's got the 5000 ready to go) and then I dunno what the gently caress she's going to do after that.

She's going to lose probably all of her land in the server merge later this year, and is only now beginning to entertain the idea of quitting.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Trion is so loving stupid they don't realize it's the land barons that keep the lights on for this terrible game. They're the ones spending hundreds and even thousands, and they're all going to ragequit when server merges happen.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Like any publisher gives a poo poo about a game when it gets to the point that they'd server merge.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ruffz posted:

Trion is so loving stupid they don't realize it's the land barons that keep the lights on for this terrible game. They're the ones spending hundreds and even thousands, and they're all going to ragequit when server merges happen.

Yeah. The PVPers on the less populated servers are complaining that there aren't enough people for their kind of fun and the servers should be merged. But the dudes with 30 plots of land having a jolly good time playing 3D farmville with their 6 accounts would never agree to give up a single inch of the land they "worked hard" to acquire and decorate. As long as the low-pop servers are still turning a profit they should leave them alone.

After all, we all know the name Farmville because it was a hugely popular and profitable game for many years. If people want to pay trion hundreds a month to play 3D Farmville Trion should just giggle gleefully while taking their money.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Eonwe posted:

i talked the fucker into playing with goons instead of his friends on another server, so when everything blew up and goons stopped playing i felt like it was the least i could do

Don't feel too bad, I didn't roll with goons and the game/server politics got super unfun by the time the fishing pact exploded anyway. Archeage is just a bad game.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Maybe more people would stick around for PvP if the whole system wasn't shamelessly pay to win.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Chomp8645 posted:

Maybe more people would stick around for PvP if the whole system wasn't shamelessly pay to win.

When I was playing we had a dude who had an insanely nice weapon by the time most people had just hit 50. When it came out that he spent over 3000$ on the base weapons he was using to gamble he didn't understand why everyone mocked the poo poo out him.

He's still playing while everyone else in my guild quit by late November.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Deki posted:

When I was playing we had a dude who had an insanely nice weapon by the time most people had just hit 50. When it came out that he spent over 3000$ on the base weapons he was using to gamble he didn't understand why everyone mocked the poo poo out him.

He's still playing while everyone else in my guild quit by late November.

jesus christ

i tried to buy a weapon recently and this dude wanted the equivalent of $2000 for it in apex, i didn't realize that that was so common. thought he was just a nut.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The land baron with 30 plots of land doesn't put any money into the game, unless they are really bad at it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I had an extra 10 hours this weekend and wanted to play something while high. I had forgotten how 'to the point' and rote questing and levelling in this game was.

Smoked a bowl, rolled a new character, and went on autopilot. This game is oddly peaceful in the lower levels. Saw trees, out in the wild, they wernt chopped down. Blew my mind.

But yeah... game is... ok. I think. But it is definitely simple.

Edit: ^^^^ They are bad at it.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Eltoasto posted:

The land baron with 30 plots of land doesn't put any money into the game, unless they are really bad at it.

You know nothing, Jon Snow. I harvested these quotes from just a few pages of a thread talking about the possibility that Trion might merge some low-pop servers months down the line.

quote:

AA is all I play, I have stopped spending money on other games, and all my money goes into AA, basically, what I pay in AA is equal to an apt monthly rent. Merging servers, sadly would make me quit. But im a positive person, and I will save a lot of money. Was planning on playing for years, hell I did WOW for a decade, and never liked it as much as AA. I have a lot of AA dreams at night.. I fear this is going to turn them into nightmares

quote:

I guess many other people asked this already, but how do you think you can find a compensation for people which worked since release to gather all the land and which will lose it after the merge? There isn't a thing like a "non-usual", "new", "non-tradional" way of a Servermerge which prevents losing land. Personally I have over 60 plots (4 mansions, 2 maisons, 20 gazeebos and lots of 16x16 farms). I have several patron accounts which I use to keep the land, I've paid hundreds (probably even thousands) of Dollars to buy credits/tax certificates and now you're simply destroying all my work.

quote:

Same here. I'm playing on Kyprosa and here is my land. I've worked since release to gather every single plot, I have tons of Gazeebos, 16x16 farms, 2 Plazas, 4 24x24 houses and 4 Mansions. I don't even play in a large guild, it's just me, my husband and a few friends. If I lose a single plot I'll also move to another game. I can't bear it to lose everything I've worked during the last months, paying thousands of euros... and to lose my dearest neighbors. It's not possible to compensate me for losing all this land. I've spent too much Euros, time, my nerves and memories in this game... I'm paying for 9 accounts every months. I also don't want to lose all the nice people I met, all my neighbors. I simply can't start with nothing on a new server.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress is wrong with people?

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Well brand me a traitor and stab me 10 times in the chest, i feel like eyepop is overdone but that really calls for :captainpop:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Charles Bukowski posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with people?

Their lives suck so they buy new lives online.

Thunderbro
Sep 1, 2008
It's much cheaper to be an internet land baron than a real one

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed
People.. STill playing.. Archeage..... Noooo

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
And here I was lamenting on the $200 I spent on this game :q:

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
Jeezus Christ. :stare:
On a whim, maybe I saw an ad for it or something I dunno, I thought "huh. ArcheAge. I remember hearing the name a lot a while back; I wonder which of those 4th-gen MMOs that was. Was it the one with the anime boobs?* Or the one where everybody gets wings?**" So I popped into the thread, read the OP, then skipped to the last couple pages.

What... what happened? :saddowns:

*TERA - tried it through the tutorial zones, couldn't stomach it.
**Still not sure which one I'm remembering here.

• Locked thread