Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
TTYD is overrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Dream Team is good and is basically an expansion pack for Bowser's Inside Story, but it's really patronizing with constant tutorials, which would be in line with the rest of the series, but they went into overdrive for that one for some reason. Some of the Giant Luigi fights kinda sucked too and the gyro controls in them could sometimes break due to a bug, which really sucks. :shrug: If you look past those flaws though, you have the most challenging game in the series, with a fantastic soundtrack (Never Let Up is legit the best boss song, maybe even best song, in the series), fantastic bosses (Massif Bro Sr, Mammoshka, The Elite Trio, and Kamek 3 are all standout fights and there are more that I can't remember the names of), a fantastic supporting cast (MASSIF BROS! :swoon:) and really fun battles. The Bros Attacks are all great, barring the series staples of Green/Red Shells that are kind of eh, and Dream World battles were a really cool spin on the usual battle system and who wouldn't want to bash in enemies with a giant gently caress-off Luigi hammer? The game's got some problems, but it does everything else so well that I can look past them and enjoy it.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

DoctorWhat posted:

TTYD is overrated.

It's my favorite Mario RPG and I 100% agree. People poo poo on the others for pacing issues but TTYD is the definition of backtracking. The woods, chapter 4, Glitz Pit, General White, and the island stick out in my mind of having to go back and forth through the same area numerous times with nothing changing- not to mention the Moon section where you move at a snails pace.

People who complain about pacing in the RPGS then say TTYD is their favorite just confuse me. It's a fantastic game and like I said it's easily my favorite but it's not like it was completely flawless.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

TTYD is overrated.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

TTYD is overrated.

it's a good game, with good humor, and good play mechanics

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Dream Team and Bowser's Inside Story are basically equal to me. The battles in both games are great, especially the bosses. The music is amazing. I could do without Giant Battles but neither game has very many of them.

Dream Team in particular really rewards you for learning how all of the enemies work, and having not only hard mode versions of all the bosses but an actual hard mode for the whole game makes it one of my favorite Mario rpgs.

Paper Jam also gives me my dream of a game including Paper Mario without being developed by Intelligent Systems. I haven't been a very big fan of any of their games lately.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A list of circumstances in which unironically calling something overrated doesn't make you look like a clown:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

forbidden lesbian posted:

it's a good game, with good humor, and good play mechanics

all true statements. it's also got some moments of horrendous pacing and blatant padding that are no fun at all.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

DoctorWhat posted:

all true statements. it's also got some moments of horrendous pacing and blatant padding that are no fun at all.

The same could be said of alllll Video Games! But enough, have at you!

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

every game has bad spots, it pretty much goes with the territory, whats so special about ttyd that makes it so its overrated

like if ttyd is overrated then every game for the gamecube is overrated because i'm p sure most people you ask would say its top of the line for the console

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Torquemadras posted:

Yeah, it looks... really bad, to be honest. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team was quite ugly, slow and repetitive, if you ask me, and worst of all: it was painfully unfunny. And the battle system was never all that great either. Let's see what this turns into; hopefully, combat is more like TTYD. And if the developers are smart (?), they get the gently caress away from Sticker Star's nasty habit of imitating the New Mario Bros. series. That was a serious drawback for an otherwise incredibly stylish and charming game.

Like, seriously, why the generic worlds, why generic New Mario Bros. designs, why make Bowser mute, where did Kammy go

One bafflingly bad decision after the other, and yet, there's some of that TTYD spark shining through. Let's hope they're allowed to run wild with that in Paper Jam - it might actually turn the game around for me. Anybody know who'll be responsible for Paper Jam? Is it the Mario & Luigi Devs, Intelligent Systems, a collaborative effort?

Hmm actually it looks really good and though Dream Team did have some pretty big flaws it was also a really good and fun part of Nintendo's secret best franchise

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Super Paper Mario was the worst one in my book. Game was just punishingly dull despite a neat 2D-3D perspective shifting mechanic and a few entertaining characters.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

The same could be said of alllll Video Games! But enough, have at you!

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

That a lot sad butthurt nerds

https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-petition-for-cancelation-of-metroid-prime-federation-force

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Finally got to the Chibi Robo Zap Lash gameplay it looks amazing and I want it now.

Someone make a gif of this dance, https://youtu.be/arFsxZ8QWPM?t=5h20m39s

Jarogue fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 17, 2015

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Mario & Luigi games are all great actually, and this one will be good also

Most importantly there's gonna be more beans for me to find

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

One question about Triforce Heroes: why aren't you playing as Link, Zelda and Ganondorf with their own special abilities to complete puzzles?

Though that would make the Totem Pole mechanic a bit weird amazing.

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Crosspeice posted:

One question about Triforce Heroes: why aren't you playing as Link, Zelda and Ganondorf with their own special abilities to complete puzzles?

Though that would make the Totem Pole mechanic a bit weird amazing.

Because you can play as them in Hyrule Warrior, now coming to the 3DS.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Something something on Fire Emblem: Fates, as revealed in a Famitsu issue:

You know this guy?

The guy who kinda kidnaps you from your rightful family and raises you?

(ULTRA SUPER MEGA SPOILERS!) he's a recruitable unit... in both versions!

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

Mario & Luigi games are all great actually, and this one will be good also

Most importantly there's gonna be more beans for me to find

Meh. I could never really warm up to Dream Team. I just felt that it looked much worse than its strictly 2D predecessors, battles dragged on forever, and aside from a little bit of slapstick here and there it didn't make me laugh either. Got rather monotonous, if you ask me. It might very well be that it gets better after the first half or so, because I just couldn't muster the motivation to keep playing... It wasn't really BAD, I was just pretty much bored out of my skull.

Now, of course, the Paper Mario series is hardly perfect. In fact, I think it's overall the mechanically worse of the two series! No one can claim Super Paper Mario was well-thought out or balanced in any way, and Sticker Star is once again a baffling case where the developers seemed to have STOPPED THINKING about what they were doing. TTYD is okay, but the random factors are stupid. Whatever.

But I think Paper Mario is superior in two regards. First, the genuinely fun overworld levels with all their perspective trickery - something that Sticker Star was actually REALLY good at, if you ask me (except that there were no NPCs and every battle sucked). And second, the writing. More specifically, all the shenanigans that random characters in town got up to. I feel like TTYD does this best, with a lively central town and constant commentary by the Goomba lady. Seriously, I think that's the greatest strength of the series. I'd like more of that.

So I guess I guess I'll wait for reviews and reactions rather than buy it right-out, as I did with all others of both series...

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Triforce Heroes looks pretty fun. Love having to solve puzzles by blasting people with zelda items.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Wow rude.

Gonna buy this game :)

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I played through all the Mario & Luigi games earlier this year, and even Partners in Time was okay even though it was the worst of the three. Dream Team was fun despite the tutorials. Bowser's Inside Story was the best.

Paper Jam is gonna be fun. :)

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
They are showing LBX: Little Battlers eXperience on Treehouse and it doesn't look bad.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

katkillad2 posted:

They are showing LBX: Little Battlers eXperience on Treehouse and it doesn't look bad.
I don't know exactly which game they're bringing over, but the PSP games were rad. Level 5 RPG + not-virtual-on

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Mercury Crusader posted:

I played through all the Mario & Luigi games earlier this year, and even Partners in Time was okay even though it was the worst of the three.

Of the three? There are four...

1. Superstar Saga
2. Partners in Time
3. Bowser's Inside Story
4. Dream Team

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

So I'm thinking of getting a 3DS XL and am wondering where would be the best place to get it in the UK. I was thinking of getting this one here but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any better deals? This'll be my first Nintendo product too.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

less laughter posted:

Of the three? There are four...

1. Superstar Saga
2. Partners in Time
3. Bowser's Inside Story
4. Dream Team

Ah right, I was thinking just the games I was playing on the 3DS. Superstar Saga is good, too.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

homeless snail posted:

I don't know exactly which game they're bringing over, but the PSP games were rad. Level 5 RPG + not-virtual-on

They're bringing over LBX Baku Boost, which is a 3DS enhanced port of the PSP game.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I don't understand when people say Dream Team's battles dragged on. I'm pretty sure for the vast majority of the game (not counting boss fights) no battle lasted for more than 2-3 turns.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

Lugaloco posted:

So I'm thinking of getting a 3DS XL and am wondering where would be the best place to get it in the UK. I was thinking of getting this one here but I'm wondering if anyone knows of any better deals? This'll be my first Nintendo product too.

Do you really want the old style XL?

Amazon sell the Blue New XL for £140 current best price for a New XL.

Shopto were doing New XLs with Mario Kart 7 for £140, so Amazon's old XL with 3D Land isn't a good deal.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Sodium Chloride posted:

Do you really want the old style XL?

Amazon sell the Blue New XL for £140 current best price for a New XL.

Shopto were doing New XLs with Mario Kart 7 for £140, so Amazon's old XL with 3D Land isn't a good deal.

I didn't even know there was a new model. Show's what I know :(

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Just picked up Fire Emblem Awakening as my first game in this series, so will probably be starting on an easier difficulty to ease into it. Any general pointers to make the game more fun? Haven't booted it up yet, but I vaguely remember reading things like avoid using a certain character too much as a crutch or something.

On that note, is there any really worthwhile dlc?

planetarial
Oct 19, 2012

HPanda posted:

Just picked up Fire Emblem Awakening as my first game in this series, so will probably be starting on an easier difficulty to ease into it. Any general pointers to make the game more fun? Haven't booted it up yet, but I vaguely remember reading things like avoid using a certain character too much as a crutch or something.

The Future Past pack and the dlc maps that give you dlc classes are neat. Scramble pack if you want more support convos (or just youtube them). Golden Gaffe if you want more money to spend on forges. And Apotheosis if you want the ~ultimate challenge~ and to spend 20 hours grinding for your units to be good enough to beat the map.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

HPanda posted:

Abuse the Pair Up mechanic; it's there to help you. Don't rely too much on Frederick. If you see a character on the map with a unique face sprite, you can probably recruit them - try talking to them with Chrom or your Avatar. I recommend restarting the map if you miss a recruitable character. Get pairs of units to have an S-support so they'll get married - this is important.

e: In terms of DLC the main ones you'll probably be interested in are Future Past and the Scramble ones, which provide more character depth and interaction. Golden Gaffe and EXPonential Growth are kind of neat as well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Something that I didn't hear advertised about the Mario Maker event as Beat Buy; they've got associates with 3DSes and Triforce Heroes!

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Little Battlers Xperience is on the Treehouse stream again. It looks like a very fun game.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Little Battlers Xperience is on the Treehouse stream again. It looks like a very fun game.

Seriously. This looks like it could be really good.

edit: And this Yokai thing looks pretty sweet, too! I'm surprised.

Fix fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 18, 2015

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
Yokai is the new Pokemon for Japanese kids right now.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Fix posted:

Seriously. This looks like it could be really good.

edit: And this Yokai thing looks pretty sweet, too! I'm surprised.

Yokai Watch hasn't been out in America yet but in Japan it is literally the best-selling thing Level-5 has ever done and outsells Pokemon. It's kind of weird they haven't localized one sooner tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

it is second on my hypetrain right after mgs5