Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master
Thank goodness, I was waiting for some glasses I needed to charge constantly for the very few situations in which Transition lenses are slightly the wrong tint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

how me a frog posted:

Mechanical keyboards are hella sweet what are you even talking about

Why? Tell me why. Everyone who owns a mechanical keyboard says "oh yeah dude they're great" with no justification and I bought one a long while back despite this and I just cannot see the benefits of it.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Conro101 posted:

Thank goodness, I was waiting for some glasses I needed to charge constantly for the very few situations in which Transition lenses are slightly the wrong tint.

Transitions lenses are temperature sensitive so having manual control might make sense if you're in cold climates. I would get so annoyed because mine would turn pitch black in winter on especially cold days.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

CJacobs posted:

Why? Tell me why. Everyone who owns a mechanical keyboard said "oh yeah dude they're great" with no justification and I bought one a long while back and I just cannot see the benefits of it.

You really have to type on one and game with it for a few hours before you see the real appeal

It just feels good, the keys are easy and fast to push and doesn't use lovely rubber pressure to register a key

I have the das loud keyboard I bought 4-5 years ago and as the other guy said it works amazingly well still

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

stringball posted:

You really have to type on one and game with it for a few hours before you see the real appeal

It just feels good, the keys are easy and fast to push and doesn't use lovely rubber pressure to register a key

I have the das loud keyboard I bought 4-5 years ago and as the other guy said it works amazingly well still

I have a Logitech G710+ and the only reason I'm using it still is because I'm too stubborn to say "this isn't for me" and get rid of it because I paid like 75 dollars for it. The raised keys cause me to miss keystrokes and brush over keys I otherwise wouldn't hit. I've had this thing for months and I still don't like it any more than I liked my generic HP plain old desktop keyboard.

Conro101
Jan 6, 2012

Dr. Conro James Norock, Robot Sarcasm Master

Rosalind posted:

Transitions lenses are temperature sensitive so having manual control might make sense if you're in cold climates. I would get so annoyed because mine would turn pitch black in winter on especially cold days.
If you're in a situation where you're constantly encountering this problem and you can't get to a heater or something, you could always use your backup glasses. I've used Transitions too, and if they were too dark I'd just look over the top if need be.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

stringball posted:

Ok now explain the appeal of spending $140 on a Das Keyboard when a Cooler Master or Rosewill are half that price and use the same drat switches.

I've used Mechanical for a few years now and yeah, it's nice, but people go a little crazy when talking about how great they are. Keyboard snobs have gotten bad in recent years.

wa27 has a new favorite as of 20:36 on Jun 17, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Imagine being such a smug fucker about your mechanical keyboard that you buy earplugs from the manufacturer's website and give them to people around you who are annoyed by your 140 dollar purchase. Das Keyboard should do a kickstarter so I can make fun of them in this thread.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
Went from a $10 generic keyboard to a $80 Rosewill with mechanical switches. I knew the old keyboard was garbage and constantly hated using it, but I didn't really realize just how utterly irredeemable it was until I started using those sweet mechanical keys. I actually missed keys a lot while typing because I didn't exert enough pressure on the old keyboard.

I'll never go back to a non-mechanical keyboard.

stringball
Mar 17, 2009

I haven't personally owned other mechanical keyboards (friend had some razer one and it feels different) and typed on some at a best buy

Its got good reviews vs the other ones out there and spending the extra amount I felt it had a better feel, and lasting a long rear end time compared to others according to reviews

Im not trying to come off smug or bashing other keyboards, I'm just saying why I prefer this and I can see why people are hesitant to pay that much for one

And yes the earplugs are kinda dumb and can possibly annoy people but there's silenced versions

stringball has a new favorite as of 20:47 on Jun 17, 2015

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

CJacobs posted:

I have a Logitech G710+ and the only reason I'm using it still is because I'm too stubborn to say "this isn't for me" and get rid of it because I paid like 75 dollars for it. The raised keys cause me to miss keystrokes and brush over keys I otherwise wouldn't hit. I've had this thing for months and I still don't like it any more than I liked my generic HP plain old desktop keyboard.

Either you don't type enough or your dumb fingers are broken or both.

g710's have weird cherry blues which I don't enjoy. Try other switches and see if you like them better. Also lol $75 for a keyboard :shepspends: that's bargain/dumpster/trash heap bin for mechanicals if you're buying a brand like logitech

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Why? Tell me why. Everyone who owns a mechanical keyboard says "oh yeah dude they're great" with no justification and I bought one a long while back despite this and I just cannot see the benefits of it.

I use a Model M because they're loving indestructible. There are countless examples of Model Ms that are 30 years old and still work like they were manufactured yesterday.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Mortimer posted:

Either you don't type enough or your dumb fingers are broken or both.

g710's have weird cherry blues which I don't enjoy. Try other switches and see if you like them better. Also lol $75 for a keyboard :shepspends: that's bargain/dumpster/trash heap bin for mechanicals if you're buying a brand like logitech

You sure showed me, the guy who didn't spend between 1-200 dollars on a keyboard, what's what.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
DAS keyboard is literally just http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA23C1FM0200 but also has a USB hub integrated, which I use to plug my mouse in so I don't need an extension usb cable to pull my mouse+keyboard away from the table. That was worth $20 for me, so I went for DAS.

CJacobs posted:

I have a Logitech G710+

Please don't buy logitech peripherals that aren't mice. I'm a huge logitech fan, and their mice are the best you can own IMO, but their non-mouse products are bad 99% of the time.

EightDeer posted:

I use a Model M because they're loving indestructible. There are countless examples of Model Ms that are 30 years old and still work like they were manufactured yesterday.

Model M is glorious, I still have one of those at work. Also, until recently I had an ancient cherry keyboard (said made in west germany on the back :v:), it worked great all these years through constant abuse. Unfortunately, I lost it somewhere a couple years ago, probably someone swiped it while I wasn't looking :(

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I have no idea off the top of my head what kind of keyboard I have, and even if I did, no one cares.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I've used keyboards for 15 years and let me tell you

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

TetsuoTW posted:

I have no idea off the top of my head what kind of keyboard I have, and even if I did, no one cares.

I care! :sympathy:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Mechanical keyboard are really useful if you live in an area, I find that the rhythmic clatter of the keys when I am ITZ (in the zone) helps repel witches and bog monsters who would otherwise distract & throw me off my game. I guess some people use them in offices too, which is weird? Bog monsters never spawn in offices, so like. . . What are they even trying to prove?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Are there any tungsten keyboards? I may be onto something here...

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Truga posted:

DAS keyboard is literally just http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA23C1FM0200 but also has a USB hub integrated, which I use to plug my mouse in so I don't need an extension usb cable to pull my mouse+keyboard away from the table. That was worth $20 for me, so I went for DAS.

Weren't the older DAS keyboards even more of a Kickstarter worthy rip off? I recall them just being rebranded cheaper brands.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, the earlier models were quite literally $100 piles of garbage you could buy online. No PS/2 support, they missed keystrokes at times, they produced double keystrokes if you typed moderately fast... It was a real trainwreck that used very expensive switches. They had a really good keyboard for a several years, but now I hear from people to not buy a new DAS as they're poo poo again, so who knows what's going on :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Are there any tungsten keyboards? I may be onto something here...

What if there was an accessory for your iPhone made out of tungsten that turned it into a Bluetooth steampunk keyboard?

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

i don't buy loving mx blue keyboards for use in public places because that poo poo is just rude

if you have your own office sure but in a semi-public setting? just don't

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

those are ugly as hell but it's kind of cool that we're at the level of technology where this is possible

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Shitter Shades. The only way to de-Kanye sunglasses.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Shutter shades would legit get overfunded in notime.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I wish there were a Kickstarter for more Dragon Age 2 DLC.

Hello Meow
Nov 9, 2009

Pick posted:

I wish there were a Kickstarter for more Dragon Age 2 DLC.

That's like wishing there were a Kickstarter to make you want to hurt yourself and others.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Hello Meow posted:

That's like wishing there were a Kickstarter to make you want to hurt yourself and others.

Well, if the tiers were good enough...

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

most of the kickstarters in here are ones to make you want to hurt others

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

BattleMaster posted:

those are ugly as hell but it's kind of cool that we're at the level of technology where this is possible

Now if only they were peril-sensitive...

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Hey guys, remember that EA ARG game that had a great concept and tanked after a few months back in 2001?

Let's try it again but with really half-baked concepts, vague statements and horrible grammar!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1416475843/unveiled-0/

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

macnbc posted:

Hey guys, remember that EA ARG game that had a great concept and tanked after a few months back in 2001?

"To create the most realistic game experience, we will have 10 game master, located in Europe, who create the daily mission based on local and international news. We will combine truth with fiction."

That's the best part, the idea that these ten guys will be employed to create super awesome missions on a daily basis. :allears:

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

No, the best part is:

quote:

Our story isn't that fictional. Its about the Bilderberg Group, the UN Agenda 21 and Vision 2020. The Spanish flu, the fact that the flu is man-made and H1N1 appeared again years later as the swine flu. Its about government who lie to us. Maybe the game can help to wake the people, so they open their eyes and see the world different.

poik007
Aug 16, 2006
Thinks Mother 3 is the best game ever
wake up sheeple: the game

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

TetsuoTW posted:

No, the best part is:

I see that they already confusing fiction with reality.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

"Unvealed."

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

This isn't loss.jpg?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's amazing how we've been conditioned to see a square of four squares and instantly look for loss.jpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
So the game is Deus Ex, but as a propoganda piece, rather than a cyberpunk sci-fic story, and done in MS Paint and Flash.