Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

Jeb! meets Jeb, probably.

When you stare into the abyss...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Fried Chicken posted:

John Kaisch is in Manchester NH today. As of 10 minutes ago he was in a local bar heavily frequented by bikers. In an attempt to mingle with the common man, he decided to share with them his favorite band.

Linkin Park.

https://twitter.com/katie_glueck/status/611257485995995136

This cycle is gonna own.

Old news.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Trump is 10th, he is above the cutoff for televised debate right now. I really hope he gets to be in a debate, it will result in some hilarious crazy.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

fermun posted:

Trump is 10th, he is above the cutoff for televised debate right now. I really hope he gets to be in a debate, it will result in some hilarious crazy.

He definitely will if Christie doesn't run.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Note that the poll is from two weeks ago and Trump is guaranteed a poll bump following his announcement.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I dunno, I'm pretty sure Trump has no place to go but down.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

fermun posted:

Aside from Christie is there anyone else above Trump who hasn't declared yet?

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010

Skwirl posted:

Walker.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Skwirl posted:

Scatt Walker

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
This may be a really dumb question but what is the primary situation like, I mean is it even conceivable that Trump could win some primaries as comedy votes? Hillary has the nomination in the bag and Trump is both reviled enough and not taken seriously by anyone that I could see people crossing over for just the comedy.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
WaPo had an incredible report from Trump's Iowa event yesterday that got put up around noon today and I didn't see it posted. Includes actual quotes from actual Trump supporters who attended:

The Trump circus comes to Iowa

quote:

DES MOINES — By the time Donald Trump arrived at Hoyt Sherman auditorium here Tuesday night, he was running more than an hour behind schedule. “This has been a wild day,” he exclaimed. It would only get more so.

By then, the audience had already gotten a flavor of things to come. There was the Pledge of Allegiance recited by Cub Scouts; the national anthem sung by Taylor Wiebers, the reigning Miss Iowa; the introduction of an Auschwitz survivor (to highlight Trump’s support for Israel); and a testimonial from David McNeer, an Iowa business owner to whom Trump unexpectedly offered an economic lifeline some years ago.

There was also a pep talk from 10-year-old Shay Doyle, who has some of the Trump moxie and who asked the crowd to vote for Trump because Shay is still too young to do so himself. And there was a long, time-killing ad-libbed talk by Republican National Committeeman Steve Scheffler. Scheffler was forced into the breach because, a Trump adviser said, the candidate’s plane had been forced to circle the airport a few times before landing.

It was the second stop for Trump as a declared candidate, an exclamation point to his morning speech at Trump Tower in New York. As the final introductions were made, Trump stood in the lobby at the back of the hall, smiling at the accolades being heaped on him and flanked by security and onlookers. And then the show began. Trump made a grand entrance down the aisle, mobbed by people, and climbed onto the stage.

Trump has instantly become the poster boy for a Republican nominating contest that is spinning in all directions, with a field numbering 12 and with more in the wings waiting to enter. He is the brash, flamboyant, unwelcome guest who will give party leaders heartburn and whose arrival could disrupt the coming debates if he joins more serious candidates onstage.

After Trump departed and the crowd filed out, Scheffler offered a brief appraisal of Trump’s candidacy. He said the candidate had put together a good team of leaders in Iowa, led by Chuck Laudner, who was a mainstay in the caucus-winning operation of former senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania four years ago.

Trump placards lined the walkway up the hill from the street to the steps of the auditorium and also along the edge of the parking lot. When a candidate declares, “I am really rich,” as Trump did in announcing his candidacy Tuesday morning, it’s clear that money will be no object. The campaign paraphernalia — signs, buttons, free T-shirts — were evidence of that.

Two tables of volunteers gathered e-mail addresses from the Iowans who had come to hear the newest candidate for the Republican nomination. Inside, more volunteers acted as greeters and guides, one wearing a badge that said “Trump Hostess.”

The event drew a cross-section of Iowans, the curious and the committed, gawkers and citizens, intent on doing their due diligence, as is so common in this state. Many were like Adam Kaduce, who is in real estate and who said he had come out of a sense of responsibility to vet the candidates. He had heard through a friend in politics that Trump would be in town. “In Iowa, everybody’s got a friend in politics,” he said.

A few were already signed on, as was a woman who rushed by with a quick comment without stopping to give her name. “He’s everything I’m looking for in the next president,” she said.

Don and Kathy Watson had driven up from Ottumwa to get a closer look at the candidate. “Why not?” Kathy Watson said. “He’s as good as anybody. . . . He’s not afraid. He’s not a politician.”

Like many, they are still shopping, though they’ve ruled out Jeb Bush, the former Florida governor who announced his candidacy Monday and was in Iowa on Wednesday. “Dump him. We’ve had too many Bushes,” she said.

Were they concerned by criticism of Trump as being more a showman and not presidential? “What do we have now?” Don Watson said. “A guy who’s not fit to be president.”

John Revak, who is in the lumber business, said he was drawn to Trump’s business experience. “He presents himself as a negotiator — and obviously he’s been successful at it — so those are big assets,” Revak said. “I think he understands how the economy works. A lot of them who are running are too much government wonky.”

Shane Gray, who owns a construction company and was there with his wife, Melissa, said he, too, was drawn to Trump because of his business acumen. Was he put off by Trump’s style?

“Some of his words are a little bit brash, a little bit rough,” Gray said. “He’s definitely not the most well-spoken candidate there is. But I do like how he’s pretty straightforward about it. He just could be a lot more delicate.”

There was nothing delicate about Trump’s performance in Iowa. He reprised many of the lines from his announcement speech, particularly his attack on illegal immigrants as “killers, drug dealers, rapists.” He allowed that some are probably “good people.”

He berated President Obama and belittled his critics as “stupid” and misguided. He attacked other candidates, criticizing Bush for his open-collar look at the Monday announcement in Miami. “He can’t even put on a tie and jacket?” Trump asked with mock indignation. “He’s running for president. . . . I thought it was ridiculous.”

He said his strategy for taking on Islamic State terrorists would be to blow up the oil fields they control. “We should go blast the hell out of that oil,” he said, bringing many in the crowd to their feet cheering.

He took questions from the audience. The first came from someone who asked him where he stood on abortion. “I’m pro-life,” he said. And then he went on to note that he is Presbyterian. “Nobody thinks of me as the ultimate WASP, but I am,” he said.

He was asked about the scandal at the Veterans Health Administration, about the biggest misconceptions or lies told about him.

Asked whether student loan debt was a bubble waiting to burst, Trump said, “The country is a big fat bubble run by incompetent people, and it’s ready to burst.”

The last question was about Hillary Rodham Clinton. “How do you beat Hillary?” the questioner asked. Trump called other Republicans gutless and, in typical fashion, said there was only one path for the party. “There’s nobody who’s going to beat her but Donald Trump,” he said.

Republican leaders hoped that this day would never come or that Trump would flirt with running but never do so. Now, he is a candidate and a problem they can’t easily ignore.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Three Olives posted:

This may be a really dumb question but what is the primary situation like, I mean is it even conceivable that Trump could win some primaries as comedy votes? Hillary has the nomination in the bag and Trump is both reviled enough and not taken seriously by anyone that I could see people crossing over for just the comedy.

i dont believe there is any feasible way for trump to win a primary. if he did it would signal absolutely calamitous things for the GOP.

for instance, it would indicate that the party has lost its grip on its own systems to such an extent that a candidate who is, as you said, a comedy option on his best day could take even a single state in the nomination process.

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jun 17, 2015

im a ski bum
Feb 17, 2011
Are any of the 20 or so potential candidates military veterans? Not that I believe it is a qualifier, but It seems unthinkable to me that this isn't a bigger issue among republican voters and in the media.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Three Olives posted:

If he really, really wanted to, Trump could pour millions into an uncontested early primary or caucus and maybe win it. Like, it's not absurd to think he could buy the vote in the Virgin Islands or Alaska. But that would be a tacit admission that his candidacy is a joke and require strategic thinking on his part, neither of which are possibilities. He can self-fund his campaign as long as he wants, and if he does he'll pick up a delegate or two in the states that award them proportionally with no viability threshold. Much more likely is that he stays in for a couple of debates and then quits to be on the next season of The Apprentice in the fall.

edit: All of that assumes that Trump actually bothers to get on any of the ballots, which requires actual organization and effort.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 18, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

im a ski bum posted:

Are any of the 20 or so potential candidates military veterans? Not that I believe it is a qualifier, but It seems unthinkable to me that this isn't a bigger issue among republican voters and in the media.

Perry flew in the Air Force, but never saw combat. Graham was a JAG officer who retired June 1, this year.

Oh, and on the Democratic side, Jim Webb is a Vietnam vet with a purple heart, navy cross, silver star, and bronze star. He's declaring his candidacy in a week or two.

Joementum fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Jun 18, 2015

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

site posted:

Soon enough all news will just be delivered in gifs and meme pictures.

ABC seems to embrace this more than other media outlets, so it's a perfect fit

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I'm going to repeat a quote from that article because it just boggles my mind:

quote:

John Revak, who is in the lumber business, said he was drawn to Trump’s business experience. “He presents himself as a negotiator — and obviously he’s been successful at it — so those are big assets,” Revak said. “I think he understands how the economy works. A lot of them who are running are too much government wonky.”

Someone actually exists who thinks that Trump is not only 1) not a blabbering idiot, but 2) is good at negotiation and 3) understands how the economy works. And there may be several more like him. Trump's campaign is succeeding where Trump personally succeeded--the triumph of image over substance.

And in that regard, he's actually a lot like Reagan.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

Lazy

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Cantorsdust posted:

Someone actually exists who thinks that Trump is not only 1) not a blabbering idiot, but 2) is good at negotiation and 3) understands how the economy works. And there may be several more like him. Trump's campaign is succeeding where Trump personally succeeded--the triumph of image over substance.

That quote stood out to me, too. The Reagan comparison is good.

Good point, John! The problem with the government is that there are too many policy experts in it. So vote Trump!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Mark Penn is now available :unsmigghh::unsmigghh::unsmigghh:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Alkydere posted:

Sometimes people want a small meal right now on their lunch break, not an entire pie. Many pizza places will have lunch slices available for just that reason.

That still doesn't justify that grody looking slice of gas-station pizza. :gonk:

I can see a justification for a cheap gas station pizza, like getting a Little Caesars. But buying it by the slice negates the benefit of feeding a group of people for $5, making it just a completely insane decision. Better a gas station sandwich than a single slice of gas station pizza.

Joementum posted:

If he really, really wanted to, Trump could pour millions into an uncontested early primary or caucus and maybe win it. Like, it's not absurd to think he could buy the vote in the Virgin Islands or Alaska. But that would be a tacit admission that his candidacy is a joke and require strategic thinking on his part, neither of which are possibilities. He can self-fund his campaign as long as he wants, and if he does he'll pick up a delegate or two in the states that award them proportionally with no viability threshold. Much more likely is that he stays in for a couple of debates and then quits to be on the next season of The Apprentice in the fall.

edit: All of that assumes that Trump actually bothers to get on any of the ballots, which requires actual organization and effort.

Assuming there's still a massive field by the time we actually hit voting, it's quite plausible for someone from the crazy train to win a primary. Trump's biggest problem is that he doesn't have a defined wing of the party that he's the big fish in. Rand, Cruz, Huck, and maybe Perry and Santorum have defined bases within the party. Those bases are usually way to small to swing anything, but with multiple candidates splitting the vote of both the establishment and free range crazy, it's conceivable for one of them to come out ahead. Hell, Huck probably would have won South Carolina in '08 if McCain's buddy hadn't pretended to run for just long enough to nip that in the bud.

So, sure, it's entirely conceivable that Trump could win some primaries, comedy or not. It's not likely, and any scenario that would enable him to do so is much more favorable for 3-5 of his competitors. Assuming of course Walker, Rubio, and Bush all stay in and/or Kasich jumps in to either further dilute the Establishment or replace one of the trio.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jun 18, 2015

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cantorsdust posted:

You heard the same sort of thing about Romney, and about Bush(first MBA president). It's the inevitable result of denigrating government service and worshipping at the free market altar. If you convince the base that the people most qualified to run the government are least fit to do so, then you end up with clowns like Cain or Trump in the race.

The fact that Trump is the sort of unselfconscious rear end in a top hat who will just blurt out the hateful garbage(Mexican rapists flooding over the border! Build the dang wall!) that the other candidates can only dogwhistle about.

im a ski bum posted:

Eh. The whole veteran thing was mostly a kind of proxy battle over Vietnam. And even then it mostly just got brought up when the GOP wanted something to bash Democrats with. If the Republicans gave a drat about a military service record then they would not have knifed McCain back in 2000 to give Bush the lead.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Remember those people shouting at the Trump presser?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/donald-trump-campaign-offered-actors-803161

quote:

Hi there—

We are working helping one of are associates out at Gotham GR - http://gothamgr.com/ with a big event happening on TUESDAY 6/16/15.

This is an event in support of Donald Trump and an upcoming exciting announcement he will be making at this event.

This event is called “People for a Stronger America.” The entire group is a pro-small business group that is dedicated to encouraging Donald Trump and his latest ventures. This event will be televised.

We are looking to cast people for the event to wear t-shirts and carry signs and help cheer him in support of his announcement.

We understand this is not a traditional “background job,” but we believe acting comes in all forms and this is inclusive of that school of thought.

This event is happening LIVE and will be from 8:45AM-11:30AM. LESS THAN 3 HOURS

This will take place inside / interior.

The rate for this is: $50 CASH at the end of the event.

We would love to book you if you are interested and still available.

Please let us know and we will get back to you with confirmation.

Job Creation

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Joementum posted:

Perry flew in the Air Force, but never saw combat. Graham was a JAG officer who retired June 1, this year.

Oh, and on the Democratic side, Jim Webb is a Vietnam vet with a purple heart, navy cross, silver star, and bronze star. He's declaring his candidacy in a week or two.

If he gets the nom, I'm eagerly awaiting the formation of the 1st Marine Division Vets for Truth. That is a more impressive military record than Kerry's record.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I think all of you are underestimating Trump's appeal to a certain demographic CRUCIAL to the Republican Party: Low info blithering idiots.

High info idiots are already onboard with Bush.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Joementum posted:

That is Casey's pizza and it is good pizza. At this point I'm almost positive every Casey's gas station has a full kitchen area for primarily pizza. They also have a cook for the morning and for the night who make the pizza. The dough is made from scratch or at least a friend who worked as a cook said so. It is at least way better than all the chain pizza places.

Now Jeb! has the goes poo poo. Either that cup had mini donuts, pizza rolls, popcorn chicken, potato slices, or cheesy potato bites. Or he was advertising.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Joementum posted:

He should be be doing more to target that demographic:

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Republican's don't give a poo poo about the troops.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Whoever started that Trump retweet account, I just sent you a pretty funny one.

@realDonaldTrump posted:

Only a fool would buy the @NYDailyNews. Loses fortune & has zero gravitas. Let it die!

:ironicat:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Stereotype posted:

Republican's don't give a poo poo about the troops.

Republican voters do.

fake edit: ostensibly

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Celador posted:

The GOP brought this on themselves after Obama was elected and they went Full Retard and embraced the TEA Party and Duck Dynasty idiots. I thought we would never beat 2012 but here we are. Donald loving Trump.

Yeah. I didn't think they (the GOP) would actually go there. I still feel the Palin nomination was the Opening Pandora's Box event that made all else possible.

I feel like both men are wondering how exactly they arrived at this particular moment in time and space.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
That's a pretty glorious neck beard. Looks like it naturally just ends at his jawline.

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

fermun posted:

So is Pataki this cycle's Huntsman?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Cantorsdust posted:

Someone actually exists who thinks that Trump is not only 1) not a blabbering idiot, but 2) is good at negotiation and 3) understands how the economy works. And there may be several more like him.
Well, yeah.. Trump is rich, which means he is smart. Hey if you're so smart how come you're not rich, huh?

It's that weird American belief that the super-wealthy are somehow better and more virtuous and smarter than the rest of us. I bet it has a lot to with Prosperity Gospel, where your wealth is a measure of God's esteem for you.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
OK, Scott. I guess that means you should be President?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Joementum posted:

What on earth does this mean.

And I guess he is correct? Using 2011 numbers from Wikipedia:

Wisconsin makes 1.3 million tons of cheese a year.

The United States makes 5.2 million metric tons of cheese a year, so after Wisconsin secedes to join the national rankings under President Walker they will still be first with 3.9 million tons.
#2 is Germany with 2.0 million tons a year.
#3 is France with 1.9 million
Then Wisconsin at #4
Then #5 is Italy, with 1.1 million.

Good job Scott?

Stereotype fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jun 18, 2015

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Joementum posted:

The emphasis is on the completely wrong words here lol

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Stereotype posted:

What on earth does this mean.

Also, if Wisconsin seceded from the United States and became it's own country I think it would be the #1 cheese producer in the world.

Wisconsin makes 2.9 Billion tons of cheese a year.

The United States makes 5.2 Billion tons a year.

Germany (the #2 national producer of cheese) makes 2.0 Billion tons a year.

Nope, according to the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, the independent Badger's Republic of Wisconsin would be the #4 world producer of cheese.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Joementum posted:

Nope, according to the Wisconsin Milk Marketing Board, the independent Badger's Republic of Wisconsin would be the #4 world producer of cheese.

Yeah I edited my post :sweatdrop:

I did the conversion from pounds to tons wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Joementum posted:

The real question is what was Wisconsin's rank before Walker took office. Did he close the cheese gap or widen it?

• Locked thread