Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Great White Hope posted:

It doesn't matter if Kat's concern is valid or not, just as Anthony's "because reasons" aren't especially important.

Actually, they are especially important, because literally dropping out of a child's life with no regards to their psychological state for three years is not something that can be just brushed off, especially if you literally just drop back in without warning and proceed to take actions that, to an outside view, seem tailor designed to isolate them from their social cohort.

quote:

Kat's blinded by anger, and as such is acting in a way seems to be hurting Annie, and until Annie shrugged her off, she didn't care. She still might not.

Kat is not hurting Annie, Annie is hurting herself because she is in a compromised psychological state.

quote:

Now, will Kat respond by getting angrier, or will she realize "Oh crap, my friend is hurting and this time it's my fault"?

This is an extremely unhealthy position to take because neither Kat or Annie is at fault here.

YF-23 posted:

Annie never lost her "social support network".

Actually, this is exactly what has happened so far, as Anthony's actions have directly severed regular interaction with her entire social group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That is not allegory. In fact you seem to be confused by words like "motif," "history," and "example". Acknowledging that Reynard has a narrative history is not a moral argument, it is a basic step in analysis.

When you try to turn art into an alternate-historical narrative ("this story's moral universe clearly corresponds with the framework of the British legal system") and judge characters by how they fit this alternate-history, you get Otherkinism.

E: I like Anthony because he personalises the central conflict of the series (trying to answer the question "what is Gunnerkrigg Court?"). Annie is Jeanne to Anthony'd Court. Asking why Surma would marry Anthony is much like asking why people like the Donlans and Paz side with the Court.

Ok, you've acknowledged Renard's narrative history- what next? Think man, think. What, exactly, is Tom trying to say? How do you respond to that?

In fact, I'd say that you are the "otherkin" here, unable to understand that all fiction is inevitably, invariably, a commentary on reality. To suppose otherwise is to believe that Tom is peeking through a magic mirror into some other realm and jotting what he sees to paper. Gunnerkrigg Court does not exist in a vacuum- there is some idea in all facets of it that Tom is trying to impart, or even infuses his work subconsciously. Likewise we the audience are going to take some idea from his work, that may or may not be what he intended. But in all cases those ideas are going to be informed by and created by and contrasted to our experiences in reality.

Relating to a fictional character, or being unable to relate, or focusing on their actions that have a direct, real world parallel is not the sign of a broken mind, you dumbass.

I also don't see you calling out the people who consider Anthony to be abusive (and perhaps rightly, are harping on the point)- you could very easily diminish their points into "he abused a girl. He abused a girl. He abused a girl. Anthony abused a girl", but to do that would mark you to be an extreme rear end in a top hat.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jun 17, 2015

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

mr. stefan posted:

Attempting to reestablish a social support network with an abuse victim is a generally helpful action, yes.

How about breaking into the abuser's house to try to dig up dirt on him?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

So are you saying that when Annie asked Kat to please not break into her father's house and Kat went "Whatever" Annie wasn't upset?

Kat is not intentionally hurting Annie, but to pretend she isn't is being delusional. Just as Anthony is responsible for his mistakes, as well-intended as they could end up being, Kat has made a mistake with good intentions. I'm not damning her or saying Annie should never, ever, ever associate with her again, just saying she messed up and hurt her friend. People screw up, it's kinda one of the things we're best at.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

E: I'm guessing that she has some epiphany about her anger. Not in the sense that it's wrong to go against Anthony, nyt this needs to ne solved like everything else (through understanding).
Alternatively she's an angry teenaged girl and her response is going to be "You know what? Sod this. I've tried turning the other cheek, I've tried being supportive, and I get the cold shoulder in response. I'm done. Have fun with your creepy robot dad, Antimony!"

Of course she'll regret it as soon as she's finishes speaking, but isn't that typically the case?

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you

mr. stefan posted:

Kat is not hurting Annie, Annie is hurting herself because she is in a compromised psychological state.

What makes you think Annie is in a compromised psychological state?

The past couple month's of comics have been a pretty straightforward read and I'm not sure what all the discussion is about. Annie's father returns to her life, and is a clear, straightforward, known quantity against the capriciousness and randomness of the Court and the Forest. Even if Anthony hadn't abandoned her, Annie's reluctance to deal with Kat, and her friend's schemes to try and 'rescue' her from this situation, is obvious and well-grounded.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 1, 2016

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

That would be the thing to inspire an epiphany, yes. It might ne an elaboration on A Bad Start (not coincidentally a chapter where Annie is "imprisoned"?

Chill it dude. Why are you repeating my own points? Some people insist otherwise, and treat art as an alternate-history. That is bad.

And what does this have to so with allegory?

Fine, maybe allegory wasn't quite the right word. But you're the one who isn't actually engaging with the work and actually considering what the themes and events mean, other than recognizing that they exist.

Treating art as alt-history is bad, but the only one doing that was you.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Anthony embodies the Court, by the way, so your argument doesn't hold water.

Support your argument.

For the record I pretty much agree with you, but come on man.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 17, 2015

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

So if this was a real-life case of abuse, would anything that Annie's friends are doing be helpful to the situation?

It is in the sense that under Anthony's care, Annie becomes withdrawn, lacks self-confidence and doesn't adjust as well to interpersonal situations/conflict. Compare Annie from the start of the comic, to after her adventures in the forest and with her new friends at the court, to now. He is obviously a negative influence on her. Though in reality, you can't force people to help themselves. She has to realize what Anthony is doing to her and that while he isn't evil or anything like that, she needs to be her own person and not let others define her. Kat is a fiercely loyal friend and is doing this to try to help Annie, just as I'm sure Anthony thinks he's acting in her best interest, but it's true both of them are failing her right now.

Annie might realize this, but I think she won't be able to until after a great amount of damage will be done to Annie's other relationships, particularly Kat. Otherwise what would be the point of Anthony's introduction from a narrative standpoint if everything returns to the status quo? Learning that the people you love are flawed(because everyone is) and not necessarily the best examples of how you should live your own life is a lesson Annie needs to learn. Kat needs to learn to listen to her friends. When someone is suffering the worst thing you can do is deny them agency, make decisions for them and not pay attention to the things they are telling you.

Basically, everything is a train wreck and is pretty painful to read as a result. Kudos to Tom.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 17, 2015

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Anthony can be read as both a symbol and a character. One doesn't invalidate the other, which is sort of what you keep implying.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

If you're not planning to read the comic, there are several visual signifiers that show it. The character in question also says so herself. Also this is s pretty long-running arc, so there's other signifiers and stuff we can infer.

Your unfounded assertions "don't hold water". Your simplistic thinking that every character in the comic is either PRO-COURT or PRO-FOREST is myopic and fails to take into account the things we actually know about the characters in question. Annie had a life, she had a family, she knows she was responsible for her mother's death, and by proxy, her father's distance to her. Then she was thrust into a world that doesn't make sense, constantly fights against her, makes her restrain her inner nature, and makes it difficult to separate fantasy from reality. Her father is a bastion of sanity in comparison to life at Gunnerkrigg, and her sole chance to reconnect with her past and her old life.

It's far too easy to think of Gunnerkrigg as some kind of whimsical magic steampunk comic. It requires some subtlety and nuance to put yourself in the shoes of the characters and see if they really want to spend their lives in a magical steampunk life.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Anthony can be read as both a symbol and a character. One doesn't invalidate the other, which is sort of what you keep implying.

that sounds like otherkinism to me, pardner :clint:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

:yikes:

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I have no idea how otherkin applies to this at all, I must be very dumb.

I am still very pumped for Eglamore and Tony.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Alright well that was an anticlimax.

Really I may have gotten pretty ranty about Tony getting put in his place but really I was just hoping for something new to happen with this situation. Like the smallest crack in annie's trust appearing or something. Just seeing Tony continue to drag Annie around and remain completely silent about anything and keeping the upper hand in this situation is getting frustrating for me. I've been forgiving of Gunnerkrigg's pacing issues and lack of antagonist/conflict but this is just not what I wanted.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Alas, but fortsooth,

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Sorry, what I meant to say was: why are you talking like a character from a Victorian-era bodice ripper?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

The thing is that's not the actual comic.

Anthony embodies the Court on the sense that his character possesses all the negative traits of the Court: they're both distant, secretive, cold, paternalistic, bureaucratic, rationalist etc. His actual position is irrelevant. He is the Court, microcosm to it's macrocosm.

He has also unsettled Annie's life and left her reeling. Various visual and textual signifier show this. It has also ben the plot of the last two chapters.

The last parts are especially noticeable, but alas, you have not read the comic.

That's better, thank you.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Acne Rain posted:

Alright well that was an anticlimax.

Really I may have gotten pretty ranty about Tony getting put in his place but really I was just hoping for something new to happen with this situation. Like the smallest crack in annie's trust appearing or something. Just seeing Tony continue to drag Annie around and remain completely silent about anything and keeping the upper hand in this situation is getting frustrating for me. I've been forgiving of Gunnerkrigg's pacing issues and lack of antagonist/conflict but this is just not what I wanted.

Well, there kind of has to be a crack already there. If she trusted Tony absolutely, she wouldn't have deceived him and secretly passed control of Renard to Kat.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

The thing is that's not the actual comic.

Anthony embodies the Court on the sense that his character possesses all the negative traits of the Court: they're both distant, secretive, cold, paternalistic, bureaucratic, rationalist etc. His actual position is irrelevant. He is the Court, microcosm to it's macrocosm.

He has also unsettled Annie's life and left her reeling. Various visual and textual signifier show this. It has also ben the plot of the last two chapters.

The last parts are especially noticeable, but alas, you have not read the comic.

This is a really weird way to think about storytelling, by the way. If you were, for example, a Star Trek TNG fan, it would make perfect sense to point to this or that episode of evidence of some assertion. But if a story is still being told, and we don't know the ending, there's no specific reason to believe that what we're being told is canon. If readers of a half-finished comic could simply extrapolate all the meaning and significance of events in the comic from what's already been written, there would be no suspense, and no reason to continue writing or reading the comic.

It's pretty clear that Annie is intent on siding with her father. It doesn't make sense to try and come up with evidence for a hypothesis that she doesn't want to side with her father. She doesn't want Kat and the "crew" interfering, she acquiesces to all of her father's demands, and insists that people stop grilling him on where he's been and what's wrong with him. Your evidence of "signifiers and stuff" is not useful on a literary or argumentative level, and ho-huming people and assuming they haven't read the comic is even less so.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
The Court has a lot of traits that absolutely don't mesh with the idea that Anthony is its avatar.

I mean, seriously, the Court employs Doctor Disaster to teach its children.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Remember when Annie got a mysterious phone call from her father, insisted everything was fine and that people shouldn't worry about her, but it was quickly revealed that she was actually having a breakdown and was painfully suppressing it into a stoic facade?

Remember how in the last chapter, when Kat asked Annie why she would "agree to all this", Annie started to break down into tears but suppressed it and returned to speaking formally?

These are the reasons you should not believe Annie is okay with the current situation with her father, despite her calm insistence that she is.

(I don't think she's freaking mind controlled or anything, it's clearly psychological, but come on.)

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 1, 2016

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Tony backpedaling out of dinner so quickly is disappointing. also

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Kat is not blinded by anger. She's the person who is closest to seeing and finding out what Anthony is doing to hurt Annie. She's the one that is stopping Anthony from brushing all of this under the carpet.

The events of Divine happened. Anthony is keeping it a secret. So the potential at least exists that Anthony tried to murder Annie at least once and may well try it again. Kat investigating Anthony is literally a matter of life and death.

By all rights, if the full facts we as readers know were known to the characters, Anthony should be in prison while a full investigation is carried out.

The lesson of this whole thing is not gonna be that Kat should have left things alone.

Even ignoring all that, Annie has no right to control Kat's contact with Renard. None. If her dad is choosing to keep Renard prisoner in his house, then she is fully entitled to break in, gently caress his privacy.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 18, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I think it's reasonable to guess/assume that Anthony is here teaching and reigning Annie in on the wishes of the administration of Gunnerkrigg Court, people like the Headmaster who have different motivations than many of the individual teachers and staff.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Welp my copy of Traveller arrived.

...yup.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I wish there was an easier way to get it in the UK rather than ship it from the US for crazy shipping rates + possible import taxes

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

dyzzy posted:

...yup.

How was it?

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

dyzzy posted:

...yup.

Haha this was me when I got it from him at MCM.

For anyone wondering, the tone is less like Annie in the Forest and more like Skywatcher and the Angel.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Dammerung posted:

How was it?

It was good! Just like the Annie in the Forest stuff the art is great. The story kinda threw me for a loop though, it wasn't exactly what I expected.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

dyzzy posted:

It was good! Just like the Annie in the Forest stuff the art is great. The story kinda threw me for a loop though, it wasn't exactly what I expected.

Does the sheep do anything of note in the story? It looks pretty cute!

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Fangz posted:

Kat is not blinded by anger. She's the person who is closest to seeing and finding out what Anthony is doing to hurt Annie. She's the one that is stopping Anthony from brushing all of this under the carpet.

The events of Divine happened. Anthony is keeping it a secret. So the potential at least exists that Anthony tried to murder Annie at least once and may well try it again. Kat investigating Anthony is literally a matter of life and death.

By all rights, if the full facts we as readers know were known to the characters, Anthony should be in prison while a full investigation is carried out.

The lesson of this whole thing is not gonna be that Kat should have left things alone.

Even ignoring all that, Annie has no right to control Kat's contact with Renard. None. If her dad is choosing to keep Renard prisoner in his house, then she is fully entitled to break in, gently caress his privacy.

If Kat's not blinded by anger, then she's flat-out being stupid. She has to know that if she pushes Annie to choose between Anthony and her, Annie will choose Anthony. Instead, Kat was surprised.

Annie doesn't have the right to control Kat's contact with Renard, no, but she does have the right to ask something of Kat, and she has the right to be upset if Kat denies her.

If Kat's goal is to destroy Anthony no matter what, salt the earth, leave everything burning in her wake, then sure, she's not making any mistakes, but I'm fairly certain she doesn't want to destroy Annie in the process.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Fangz posted:

So the potential at least exists that Anthony tried to murder Annie at least once and may well try it again.

Yes, the potential exists. This is not an incorrect statement.

This, ladies and gentlemen, is what we call jumping to conclusions.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Dammerung posted:

Does the sheep do anything of note in the story? It looks pretty cute!

No sheep appear in the actual story, curse you Tom :argh:

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

dyzzy posted:

No sheep appear in the actual story, curse you Tom :argh:

Darn! I am all about cute, fluffy animals. Maybe next time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

That is not allegory. In fact you seem to be confused by words like "motif," "history," and "example". Acknowledging that Reynard has a narrative history is not a moral argument, it is a basic step in analysis.

When you try to turn art into an alternate-historical narrative ("this story's moral universe clearly corresponds with the framework of the British legal system") and judge characters by how they fit this alternate-history, you get Otherkinism.

E: I like Anthony because he personalises the central conflict of the series (trying to answer the question "what is Gunnerkrigg Court?"). Annie is Jeanne to Anthony'd Court. Asking why Surma would marry Anthony is much like asking why people like the Donlans and Paz side with the Court.

Words mean things. Arbitrarily using words to mean different things than their accepted meaning makes you bad at language, and a bad communicator. An idea is worth nothing if it is poorly communicated.