Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I absolutely loved finding the first Riddler trophy. Didn't care for any of the extortion tapes. I don't think I ever really listened to any of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veyrall
Apr 23, 2010

The greatest poet this
side of the cyberpocalypse
Hearing the Joker trying to act normal was pretty hilarious.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
According to this video, one of the Blackgate Prisoners in this game has the same booking number as O.J. Simpson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIwiUGaCJog

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
For some reason, this video is the one thing that I loving hate about Arkham Origins more than anything else. All those goddamn relays and datapacks for a... trophy? That's actually horseshit. In Asylum you send cops to his house and get to hear the sweet sounds of them taking him down over the radio, in City you get to pull him through a floor, strap him up to a (fake) bomb, and scare the poo poo out of him; but in this game your schadenfreude moment for hearing that prick taunt you is... to reveal some Riddler traps-in-development... and WB Montreal has the gall to reveal it like "holy poo poo":geno:. I'd be impressed by the balls on those assholes if I wasn't so angry playing it.

It goes back to what I was saying earlier about WB being strangely obsessed with having Origins fit in a weird "continuity" with Rocksteady's games, just determined to set everything right up for Asylum, so hey now Enigma's the Riddler! And you know what? Even that would be fine, but let me sock him in the mouth and let him swear vengeance while Gordon shoves him in the back of a police cruiser. It's not like Batman's rogues don't break out of jail all the loving time anyway, so just give players who go the extra (unnecessary) mile a little reward besides confirming what everyone already knew.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TwoPair posted:

It goes back to what I was saying earlier about WB being strangely obsessed with having Origins fit in a weird "continuity" with Rocksteady's games, just determined to set everything right up for Asylum, so hey now Enigma's the Riddler! And you know what? Even that would be fine, but let me sock him in the mouth and let him swear vengeance while Gordon shoves him in the back of a police cruiser. It's not like Batman's rogues don't break out of jail all the loving time anyway, so just give players who go the extra (unnecessary) mile a little reward besides confirming what everyone already knew.

There's a bit of payoff to his escape in the DLC, though it's really subtle.

But yeah, it is a shame that he just gets off without any satisfying conclusion.

Dariusknight
Jul 8, 2012

TwoPair posted:

For some reason, this video is the one thing that I loving hate about Arkham Origins more than anything else. All those goddamn relays and datapacks for a... trophy? That's actually horseshit. In Asylum you send cops to his house and get to hear the sweet sounds of them taking him down over the radio, in City you get to pull him through a floor, strap him up to a (fake) bomb, and scare the poo poo out of him; but in this game your schadenfreude moment for hearing that prick taunt you is... to reveal some Riddler traps-in-development... and WB Montreal has the gall to reveal it like "holy poo poo":geno:. I'd be impressed by the balls on those assholes if I wasn't so angry playing it.

I think I"m much more upset that the payoff is breaking the server, instead of Batman not even bothering to hack it to try and find out where Enigma is.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Kloro posted:

The "Joker's Boner" stuff was apparently done as a deliberate joke by the writers at the time, as the word had both meanings at the time.

The Joker was a grimdark murderer when he first appeared, but that's because it was back in the pulp-inspired era. He didn't become a major character until the tone of Batman shifted to jokey camp (which hit its peak with Bat-baby and so on), so him going dark in the 80s and 90s was almost a reutrn to his roots. The Red Hood origin story also came from the Golden Age comics, though Killing Joke added the comedian stuff.

It's worth mentioning that Batman himself was kind of grimdark on his introduction using a gun and all, with most of his foes dying on the first encounter (though often from grisly bridge falling incidents and the like) so there was kind of a match there.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Scaramouche posted:

It's worth mentioning that Batman himself was kind of grimdark on his introduction using a gun and all, with most of his foes dying on the first encounter (though often from grisly bridge falling incidents and the like) so there was kind of a match there.

That's because originally Batman was basically "The Shadow, but with bat-ears".

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
It's the DLC!

It's not terrible!

Cool Party/Polsy

Campaign Challenge: Shadow of The Bat/Polsy with Brightest Day Batman

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

On one hand, I like the fact that the Penguin stuff is getting resolved in the DLC.

On the other hand, Penguin and Mr. Freeze are interacting... just like in Arkham City.

This game is really at its best when it doesn't remind me that it's cribbing from the previous one.

Edit: Also, the game has an interface error with Bruce Wayne. The on-screen system command says "Disarm and Destroy", but when you use it, you'll see that it's actually his Combo Takedown.

Edit 2: A neat thing you missed is that the clock in the study has an entrance to the Batcave. But if you go over to it, Bruce will say that he can't use that entrance in front of all of the guests.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 17, 2015

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Freeze gun goons. Interesting.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
Should've made the connection from the DLC name, but the TAS-like intro and "The Peoples' Corpsicle" Ferris Boyle really nailed that yes, this DLC is an Arkhamverse retelling of "Heart of Ice."

This is kind of unfortunate, because it means I can already guess most of the plot beats, and so can any TAS fan. :(

EDIT: Freeze gun goons are an interesting addition, however, and I look forward to seeing Anarky and Penguin... Maaaaaybe dealt with?

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Quick question: is there some sort of reason why you don't do triple counters in combat very often? I'm by no means as good at the fighting as you are, but I do notice when the game moves three thugs towards you that you usually strike one and counter the other two. (In fact, the last triple counter I remember you doing was all the way back in Arkham City as Catwoman.) So I'm curious if this gives you a tangible advantage or if it's just your style.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Gatac posted:

Quick question: is there some sort of reason why you don't do triple counters in combat very often? I'm by no means as good at the fighting as you are, but I do notice when the game moves three thugs towards you that you usually strike one and counter the other two. (In fact, the last triple counter I remember you doing was all the way back in Arkham City as Catwoman.) So I'm curious if this gives you a tangible advantage or if it's just your style.

There's no real tangible advantage to it. I wouldn't mind doing more triple counters but I'm usually moving so quick in combat that one of them will get punched in the face before I have a chance to counter! Same thing will happen with double counters now and then too.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
It's a housewarming party!

:3:

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

JamieTheD posted:

Should've made the connection from the DLC name, but the TAS-like intro and "The Peoples' Corpsicle" Ferris Boyle really nailed that yes, this DLC is an Arkhamverse retelling of "Heart of Ice."

This is kind of unfortunate, because it means I can already guess most of the plot beats, and so can any TAS fan. :(

"Heart of Ice" is the definitive Mr. Freeze origin story, and this is the origin story game. What else would they have done?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm glad we got Story DLC at all, even if it was just "Hey, remember Heart of Ice?!" I would've liked some more creativity and Robin but what can you do when it's Origins? Alfred is such a badass. The cryogenic guys are good conceptually, because yay new enemy types, but playing with them wasn't very fun to me. The reason gun enemies aren't so awful is because you have ways to neutralize them before they cheap shot you. You can throw a Batarang or whatever. But the ice gun dudes have armor, so if they're far enough away, you just have to mash X, lose your combo and wait til you can get across the room to them. Pretty lame if you ask me. I threw up when I saw there were more Anarky tags.

XE suit looks sweet.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
There's no Batpole behind the secret bookcase/wine rack door. I am sorely disappointed.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Montegoraon posted:

"Heart of Ice" is the definitive Mr. Freeze origin story, and this is the origin story game. What else would they have done?

Now that's a very interesting question. What else could they have done? In reality, very little, because that is such hardline canon that I doubt WB would let any Arkhamverse meddling go on. In theory? A lot of things... Especially since this isn't really the Origins of many of the characters, as you're interpreting it, but the Origin of Arkham Asylum, and the whole Joker feud (although it was originally going to be a very different story with the Joker only tangentially involved). It's easy to confuse, I know, because the Joker first appears, Batman is obviously early in his career, Edward Nygma makes his first public appearance... But this isn't really an origin story game as such. Batman's origins are only briefly mentioned (Maybe because everyone who even vaguely knows Batman knows the whole "dead parents, dresses up like a bat" thing, and because the two previous games went into it as well), the Penguin isn't really dealt with as an origin story (Although the genesis of the feud is mentioned in the most obscure item hunt for the series so far). Shiva's origin isn't mentioned... In fact, most people's Origins aren't focused on.

Be very careful about things like that, because it can narrow your views, and stop you asking questions. In this particular case, there's questions you could very well ask, such as "Why Heart of Ice?" (Possible answers include: It's an easy sale, it's an easy reference in a game chock full of fanservice already, the devs just really liked Mr. Freeze, Warner Brothers want you to remember that TAS existed, and many more), "How does this detract from the experience?" (Possible answers include: You know most of what's going to happen already, it reminds you of something that you enjoyed more, and others), "How does this add to the experience?" (More focus on Alfred, how even Batman can be fooled into thinking people like Ferris Boyle can be nice folks, tying up loose ends, potentially an interesting boss fight, explaining some inconsistencies in writing)

Many of these questions are at least partly blocked off if you say "Well, that's the definitive version, and that's that", and while saying things like "If I were in charge, I would have-" or the like would be pointless to say, saying "It is sort of disappointing to me that I already have a rough idea of how the main plot of this DLC is going to go" is a perfectly valid criticism, even if the details are different (TAS SPOILER: In Heart of Ice, Freeze has already been sabotaging GothCorp for some time, Batman does not, in fact, think Ferris Boyle is a nice guy, Wayne Manor is not burnt again, and the humanitarian dinner is the end of the episode) in the DLC itself. I look forward to seeing how the Penguin comes into it. I look forward to seeing how and if Anarky is actually dealt with. I am not looking forward so much to hearing something that's largely etched into these tired reviewer neurones already.

Brovstin
Nov 2, 2012

I'm disappointed there isn't a section where you fight side by side with Alfred.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.

Brovstin posted:

I'm disappointed there isn't a section where you fight side by side with Alfred.

Look, the only reason Alfred took that bump on the head was because he saw Bruce was there and didn't want to show him up with his slick moves. What we don't see are the other 30 thugs he's beaten up to now as the game engine removed them to allow Bruce to pass. ;)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

berryjon posted:

Look, the only reason Alfred took that bump on the head was because he saw Bruce was there and didn't want to show him up with his slick moves. What we don't see are the other 30 thugs he's beaten up to now as the game engine removed them to allow Bruce to pass. ;)

Isn't Alfred ex-SAS or something?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
I like the V.A. for Batman doing Bruce, but the V.A. for Victor is nowhere near as good as the guy in Arkham City, alas.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's the same VA Freeze had in City.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Public Service Announcement:

The Arkham games are on sale at Steam.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I am digging the DLC so far, it looks pretty drat cool, I'm looking forward to the new gadgets and XE suit.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Let me guess, you're going to get AC freeze grenades. Except it's origins so they have to suck, maybe you can't quickfire them?

edit: VVV Similarly useful freezegun then.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 18, 2015

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

anilEhilated posted:

Let me guess, you're going to get AC freeze grenades. Except it's origins so they have to suck, maybe you can't quickfire them?

Nope! They didn't take the easy way out. There's no grenades in the DLC.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

I really liked the trophy reveal, but I feel like it needed to be far, far removed from the actual Enigma-related plot. Like that Scarecrow Boat you can find in City? It should have been like that. A secret side room where you need to use gadgets in an unusual way, like using the Disruptor on an unsuspecting button or panel, which opens a Remote Batarang tunnel.

Cold Cold Heart looks drat good so far. I'm excited to see how things play out

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I find your lack of faith disturbing

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Night10194 posted:

Isn't Alfred ex-SAS or something?

Former SAS, former medic, former Thespian, a Gentleman's Gentleman, and, assuming the Batman Vs. Predator comics are considered canon, posessed of enough testicular fortitude to stare down a 7-foot tall alien killing machine, and cripple another with a 19th-century blunderbuss. The man's a stone-cold hardass when he needs to be, which makes the fact that he's also very much Bruce's surrogate father as touching as it is.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Sel Nar posted:

Former SAS, former medic, former Thespian, a Gentleman's Gentleman, and, assuming the Batman Vs. Predator comics are considered canon, posessed of enough testicular fortitude to stare down a 7-foot tall alien killing machine, and cripple another with a 19th-century blunderbuss. The man's a stone-cold hardass when he needs to be, which makes the fact that he's also very much Bruce's surrogate father as touching as it is.

Well, that Predator was being very rude.

/edit: oh hey, found it.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 19, 2015

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.
Also don't forget injustice Alfred :v:

http://imgur.com/gallery/WstUa

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost
In case you're curious yes I am naming all of these after Mr. Freeze puns. WHY WOULDN'T I.

The Ice Age/Polsy

Campaign Challenge: Dark Knight, Dark City/Polsy with Earth-2 Batman

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I absolutely love the entirety of the new GothCorp areas. Especially the predator room music.

The ice effects in the DLC are also really fantastic. Probably the best visual effects in the game.

And the XE Suit is really fantastic. I wish you could use it in Challenge Mode because I'd never take it off.

Edit: I wanted to avoid mentioning it until Scruffy got some, but the Activist Tags in the DLC suck. Unlike the Anarky Tags in the main game which at least have some flavor text when you scan them, these are just a collectible for the sake of being a collectible. You unlock something for getting all of them, but otherwise they just exist because.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 19, 2015

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
That suit.....

is beautiful.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
Now THAT is a menacing suit. It's like it's straight from those Joker's visions/hallucinations/whatever.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

The organics lab is, of course, run by Pamela Isley. I believe you can see her name on a checklist somewhere in GothCorp.

And this.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jun 19, 2015

J.theYellow
May 7, 2003
Slippery Tilde
OK, so I can believe Bruce Wayne wasn't aware of Ferris Boyle's dirty side or what his company's really up to, and that Boyle was able to fool his foundation well enough to win a humanitarian award, but the lobby demonstration buttons are all about their cryonics work. Batman says, no way they're making weapons.

BATMAN JUST SAW A DUDE CALLED MISTER FREEZE TAKE BOYLE HOSTAGE. THERE ARE DUDES SHOOTING ICE BEAMS ALL OVER THE loving CITY.

HOW IS BATMAN, WORLD'S GREATEST DETECTIVE, NOT MAKING THE loving CONNECTION BEFORE HE GOES INSIDE GOTHCORP?

What, do people not pay attention to corporate information kiosks in HQ lobbies that often?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

To be fair, I think Freeze developed all of that stuff independently in the animated series.

• Locked thread