Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

SunAndSpring posted:

The disconnect between what Todd Howard wants (a good story that meshes perfectly with open-ended and open-world gameplay) and what Todd has done (forced the player to have a set voice and restrictive backstory, as well as restricting dialogue to just 4 buttons) is about as wide and vast as the Grand Canyon.

Part of me now wants the voiced guy to be just the tutorial guy, and that we wind up with the good ol' Player Created psychopath Player Character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

OwlFancier posted:

Why not?

You can play whatever character you like in fallout 3 and I don't see why you wouldn't be able to in fallout 4?

Not to the same extent that you can in New Vegas, and the concessions Obsidian made were for better reasons, and ended up in service of a much better story, than the more extreme ones in 3 and likely 4.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Alpha Protocol did the same thing. That dialogue system doesn't sound too bad.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Oh my god, it's the Dragons Age 2 personality system. This is loving hilarious.

Please, please, please let one of the four colors respond to smug douche 'snarky'.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Sankis posted:

Alpha Protocol did the same thing.

Do you trust Bethesda to handle it like Alpha Protocol, or like Bioware Ala DA2?

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Please, please, please let one of the four colors respond to smug douche 'snarky'.

We can only hope. It was the only way to play that mess.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
X: I WANT TO BE A SUPERMUTANT.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

quote:

"Boston like atmosphere where the player gets to experience a true Boston vibe. In order to do this, we created NPCs to speak with a Boston accent. Also the names and spelling of locations and settlements are affected by this".

I wonder what this even means, are we going to visit places with manmade signs that say "Hahbah Town" and "Gahden Pawk"? Are weapons going to be labeled "Fwowty-Fwowr Megnahm" or "Powah Fist"?

I mean that's pretty hilarious on top of being kind of lame.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

i'm not american, can someone link an example of 'Boston accent' for me??

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

SunAndSpring posted:

The disconnect between what Todd Howard wants (a good story that meshes perfectly with open-ended and open-world gameplay) and what Todd has done (forced the player to have a set voice and restrictive backstory, as well as restricting dialogue to just 4 buttons) is about as wide and vast as the Grand Canyon.

The man emphasized how important player agency was to them, in the same discussion about how they gave you a voice and a set back story so they could tell an amazing story that they wanted.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Lotish posted:

Walking 'cross the desert, when suddenly Boone caps someone I don't even see, and suddenly I'm Khan enemy number 1.

This would only happen if you'd equipped Boone with a missile launcher and whatever enemy he saw happened to be near to where a Khan was standing.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

And the player character's face needs to contort the same way as snarky Hawke.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Nuebot posted:

The man emphasized how important player agency was to them, in the same discussion about how they gave you a voice and a set back story so they could tell an amazing story that they wanted.

Those two don't really mix. There is no player agency with the color coded system they've boxed us into.

E: Seriously, who the hell looks at anything DA2 did and say to themselves 'this is a good idea, let's do this'

A. Beaverhausen fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jun 18, 2015

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

frajaq posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RbK4cL3QSc0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wBpSWxPo6

It's hard to find ones that seem real on youtube.

edit: A fake one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij0_V-Vk9kE

Sankis fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 18, 2015

DARPA Dad
Dec 9, 2008
Suck it Bioware, we have four colors.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Those two don't really mix. There is no player agency with the color coded system they've boxed us into.

E: Seriously, who the hell looks at anything DA2 did and say to themselves 'this is a good idea, let's do this'

Todd "You'll Won't Hear Repeat Voice Actors In Skyrim" Howard.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

King Vidiot posted:

I wonder what this even means, are we going to visit places with manmade signs that say "Hahbah Town" and "Gahden Pawk"? Are weapons going to be labeled "Fwowty-Fwowr Megnahm" or "Powah Fist"?

I mean that's pretty hilarious on top of being kind of lame.

We can only gain these mythical weapons after learning the thicker Southie tribe accents by banging our heads against conversation choices until we get enough speech/knowing perks. Once this is done, we bump into a grown rear end Biwwy who is both a high tier settler and companion here to bust some sick moves and be adorable.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

frajaq posted:

Just imagine a bad impression of an Irish accent and make it more shouty.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I'm so glad the conversation has looped back around to my favorite topic, which is what a horrendously lovely decision it was to spend years and who knows how much money recording tens of thousands of lines of dialogue nobody expected, asked for, or wanted, in service of a futile attempt to wring the tiniest bit of emotional depth from awful Bethesda writing.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

I'm so glad the conversation has looped back around to my favorite topic, which is what a horrendously lovely decision it was to spend years and who knows how much money recording tens of thousands of lines of dialogue nobody expected, asked for, or wanted, in service of a futile attempt to wring the tiniest bit of emotional depth from awful Bethesda writing.

B button Red (Mean) response: no u

(Award winning story brought to you by Bethesda)

Think of your dead wiiife. Think of your dead chiiiiild feel something

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A. Beaverhausen posted:

How many dialogue choices do you get on average in New Vegas in each section where you make a choice? Not including "Tell me about these backstory topics", because even Mass Effect just let you switch to a new section of the dialogue wheel to ask about those. Actual times where you need to make a choice in the dialogue tree.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

A. Beaverhausen posted:

"Should have eaten that baby when I had the chance!" :argh:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

How many dialogue choices do you get on average in New Vegas in each section where you make a choice? Not including "Tell me about these backstory topics", because even Mass Effect just let you switch to a new section of the dialogue wheel to ask about those. Actual times where you need to make a choice in the dialogue tree.

It was certainly more than blue red and green

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

chitoryu12 posted:

I don't think anyone's going to count them out for you, because that's a bit silly, but there are situations that allow for more choices than this system does, inherently.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

2house2fly posted:

I don't think it's mentioned in the game anywhere (may be cut dialogue) but the lead dev mentioned it a couple of times; it's mainly just a bit of Lore to help explain why the NCR dollar is falling out of favour and everyone uses caps.

it comes up in the loading screen iirc

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Y button Yellow (Snark) response: I'm feeling something alright.

Also, wasn't the entirety of the Fallout protagonists "not-voiced but technically canonically speaks and can have a variety of traits"?

chitoryu12 posted:

One that immediately springs to mind is that dickbag event in North Vegas. Doesn't matter if you got 7 Perception or 7 Intelligence: you fail to convince the guy and he busts you for illegal poo poo, leading to you having to kill him.

More specifically, Legatus' fight can be waived off a variety of ways. All of which say "Legion overextended, get the gently caress back East", by the way.

And even fuckin' Ulysses can be talked out of a fight. Sorta. You need to be real evil, a Legion supporter, or learn some poo poo from all his tapes.

Long story short: A good chunk of major choices in the game have a fight on the table. But only a few choices have the fight be inevitable.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I love that the new Todd Howard voice acting interview is bragging about how lines can be delivered in eight different ways. Wowie! Do you know how many they can be read in?

edit:

widespread posted:

Also, wasn't the entirety of the Fallout protagonists "not-voiced but technically canonically speaks and can have a variety of traits"?

Yep, since day 1 that's been the way the series goes. Unless I'm misremembering FO1 and FO2 will even occasionally have your character say poo poo without your input, but because it's not voiced nothing like that ever pulled me out the way, say, Shepard and Hawke constantly reminded me that they were always the same boring character named Shepard or Hawke.

Pretzel Rod Serling fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 18, 2015

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Blue Button: Cry over dead family.

Red Button: Laugh at dead family.

Yellow Button: Make a joke.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Yep, since day 1 that's been the way the series goes. Unless I'm misremembering FO1 and FO2 will even occasionally have your character say poo poo without your input, but because it's not voiced nothing like that ever pulled me out the way, say, Shepard and Hawke constantly reminded me that they were always the same boring character named Shepard or Hawke.

If that be the case, then what the gently caress is Todd Howard doing.

Buuuut, if this means we can possibly get a snarky cannibal out of this new guy- i.e. one who quips as he eats flesh to restore health fix his broken arm- then MAYBE I'll think positively on it. Or just quotes based around perk choices, I guess.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

The only good voice-acted create-a-protagonists were in Saints Row and even then I got bored of replaying like three hours in and put the game down for years

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

widespread posted:

If that be the case, then what the gently caress is Todd Howard doing.

Buuuut, if this means we can possibly get a snarky cannibal out of this new guy- i.e. one who quips as he eats flesh to restore health fix his broken arm- then MAYBE I'll think positively on it. Or just quotes based around perk choices, I guess.

Imagine it "Care to lend me a hand?" He'll turn and wink at the camera before he starts eating his fallen opponent.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Generic Monk posted:

the average person does not have even a little computer proficiency beyond day-to-day tasks and you're a fool if you think otherwise. the android barrier to entry is nowhere near the iphone barrier to entry. and no you can't sync cracked apps to non-jailbroken phones.

the numbers speak for themselves. they're still awful but orders of magnitude better than android (8-14x better)

http://venturebeat.com/2015/01/05/monument-valley-developer-only-5-of-android-installs-were-paid-for/
http://www.cultofandroid.com/27547/android-piracy-outnumbers-ios-piracy-by-141-driving-devs-to-freemium-only-model/

if google gave a poo poo about developers and not just data mining they'd be actively trying to close these holes, but they either can't or won't

okay but the average person isn't pirating apps, on either platform so idk what your point is. there has to be a base level of proficiency for piracy to even occur to someone and if you can download an exe and run it you can jailbreak your phone. :shrug:

It's easy as gently caress. Yeah it's one additional step that you have to do the first time but that extra step isn't hard.

Anyway first of all

quote:

On Android though? 34,091 copies were stolen.

what an oddly specific number.

Second of all no poo poo there's more piracy in sheer numbers on Android; more people have an Android because you can get an Android phone for less than $100.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Nuebot posted:

Imagine it "Care to lend me a hand?" He'll turn and wink at the camera before he starts eating his fallen opponent.

The expense of voicing this protagonist will be completely worth it if you can make procedurally-generated puns based on which enemy limb you just crippled/blew off. "That's one way to get a head of the competition! :shepface:"

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Yaos posted:

Your dialogue choices change your character personality, although it's not clear what this means; maybe replacement for karma?
Edit: Somebody else noticed your responses are color coded according to the Bone gamepad buttons. Green is nice, Red is mean, yellow is a question, blue is neutral.

This sounds really bad. It sounds like I'm going to be locked into saying things a certain way just because of stuff I said in the past. It reminds me of how Mass Effect punished you for not going full Paragon or full Renegade, only this seems even worse because it will take even more control away from you.

And color-coding responses? How dumb do they think we are? Of course, I'll bet a major reason for that is to compensate for "GET FOOD" and the like. So to make up for a bad mechanic, they give us another bad mechanic. Great.

Bethesda is really trying to be Bioware, aren't they?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Praetorian Mage posted:

Bethesda is really trying to be Bioware, aren't they?

The worst parts of it too apparently.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

widespread posted:

One that immediately springs to mind is that dickbag event in North Vegas. Doesn't matter if you got 7 Perception or 7 Intelligence: you fail to convince the guy and he busts you for illegal poo poo, leading to you having to kill him.

More specifically, Legatus' fight can be waived off a variety of ways. All of which say "Legion overextended, get the gently caress back East", by the way.

And even fuckin' Ulysses can be talked out of a fight. Sorta. You need to be real evil, a Legion supporter, or learn some poo poo from all his tapes.

Long story short: A good chunk of major choices in the game have a fight on the table. But only a few choices have the fight be inevitable.

That's not really what I was asking. The current criticism is that having four dialogue options at each time you can talk available will somehow greatly restrict player choice. Never mind that we haven't confirmed this is the case, but I was asking how many times in Fallout 3 and New Vegas you were given a new choice in the dialogue tree and it had more than 3 or 4 options.

I'm not including the parts where you open new branches of the tree like asking "What's the NCR?" of Trudy, because that's not really a thing to do with player agency and games with a similar system (like Mass Effect) just replaced one option with "More..." or something to let you change the menu and view more options.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008
Remember when I said the writing will try to punish you for not caring about your family? How much do you want to bet wanting to move away from that backstory will correspond to choosing red dialogue options, which will build up your "evil" meter, which will lead to you being an rear end in a top hat in other conversations, completely against your will?

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Praetorian Mage posted:

Like, remember when I said the writing will try to punish you for not caring about your family? How much do you want to bet wanting to move away from that backstory will correspond to choosing red dialogue options, which will build up your "evil" meter, which will lead to you being an rear end in a top hat in other conversations?

Abandoning your family makes you a bad person.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I don't think 'trying to get away from your backstory' will hold up favorably in divorce proceedings.

Praetorian Mage
Feb 16, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Abandoning your family makes you a bad person.

Sure, but I never wanted a family in the first place. God forbid I want to define my character's identity for myself in a genre where that's one of the selling points.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Praetorian Mage posted:

Sure, but I never wanted a family in the first place. God forbid I want to define my character's identity for myself in a genre where that's one of the selling points.

You have a family now, and a child, it would be very irresponsible to up and leave them after you made this family in the first place.

• Locked thread