Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

DoubleDonut posted:

Yes, Ozma teaches Ippo that black people aren't all violent thugs. And then the next black guy to show up turns out to be a violent thug

It's been a while but wasn't Hawk basically just an American Takamura?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
It's bad when black guys are nice to people and everyone loves them and it's bad when black guys are evil villains who everyone hates. The sensible choice would've been to never include any black athletes in this manga about professional boxing.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

K. Flaps posted:

Bryan Hawk was an over the top villain. He didn't wander around blasting hip hop from his iPhone calling takamura his nigga.

He's an absurdly lazy black guy who can only think about sex and violence. Are you just not familiar with stereotypes or something

K. Flaps posted:

It's bad when black guys are nice to people and everyone loves them and it's bad when black guys are evil villains who everyone hates. The sensible choice would've been to never include any black athletes in this manga about professional boxing.

It is in fact bad when in a manga about loving boxing has exactly two black characters show up for over a decade and one is based around "surprisingly, not violent" and the other one is based around "lazy and violent," yes

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
No it's okay guys, Ozma is "one of the good ones"

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
There were three black boxers in major and long fights and at least another three got blasted by takamura in very short fights. I still like how you see "main character learns a lesson about not being racist" as very racist.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

K. Flaps posted:

There were three black boxers in major and long fights and at least another three got blasted by takamura in very short fights. I still like how you see "main character learns a lesson about not being racist" as very racist.

It isn't a lesson when the very next black guy to show up validates his original loving fears, dude

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos

DoubleDonut posted:

It isn't a lesson when the very next black guy to show up validates his original loving fears, dude

You have brain damage. I'm out.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

K. Flaps posted:

You have brain damage. I'm out.

nah he's right about this is it really crazy thinking the xenophobic japanese cant write a black character?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Garrand posted:

It's been a while but wasn't Hawk basically just an American Takamura?

Yes

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Morikawa is an old fart and the Japanese aren't exactly the most racially sensitive people ever even today, so yeah Ippo has bunch of casual racism with no gross intent behind it.

Mostly the usual stuff of Mexicans having "innate rhythm" and black people having special punch muscles and all other Asians being pitiable and dirty/dumb.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ozma and the dude that Worg fought were both pretty normal people portrayed fairly well.

Woli was indefensible.

Bryan Hawk was a straight up villain and I doubt he would have been any different no matter what race / nationality he was. He's closer to Takamura's character than the other two black boxers who got more than 1-2 pages in the manga if that helps.

So yeah like Fabricated said, old dude just throwing stuff out there and probably doesn't even realize that it's racist at all because I doubt it's something he really has ever been challenged about in his own country.

Also, this poo poo? This is the good stuff:

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

more specifically he was a takamura w/o the coach's influence. which is why he was better not bc hes japanese and not black

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

K. Flaps posted:

Bryan Hawk was an over the top villain. He didn't wander around blasting hip hop from his iPhone calling takamura his nigga.

this made me crack up btw

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

also w/r/t woli, which i hate writing this bc that fight was the worst thing in the entire manga, he's really specifically a reference to the wild guy whos name i forget from ashita no joe. theres no harm meant there despite the fact that it might seem a lil racist or whatever, the author is just pointedly making a call back to a famous fight, meaning to hit the same story beats, as the other most popular boxing manga of all time.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Hey where the hell is translating Ippo? Kind of stopped reading when Mangastream stopped with the translations.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
I find it very very surreal that after 25 years of Ippo's philosophy working almost perfectly, and never being called into question, he's suddenly just now having doubts. The protagonist is having second thoughts a quarter-century of real time into the story and I have no idea what he's going for with this.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

DoubleDonut posted:

He's an absurdly lazy black guy who can only think about sex and violence. Are you just not familiar with stereotypes or something

It is in fact bad when in a manga about loving boxing has exactly two black characters show up for over a decade and one is based around "surprisingly, not violent" and the other one is based around "lazy and violent," yes

It's not really clear what Hawk's racial background is, given that he seems to have straight blonde hair (and there's no indication he dyes it), is from New York City, based off an English boxer with parents from Yemen, drawn by a Japanese author, and his ring wear has a bunch of vaguely Native American? looking tassles all over it.

OnimaruXLR fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 18, 2015

Eustace
Feb 26, 2009
Hawk is post racial

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd

That Works posted:

Also, this poo poo? This is the good stuff:

yeah, I saw that and was like "holy poo poo was the just imagery or did sendo seriously just spirit tiger that dude's head off?"

nehezir fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jun 19, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Some new chapters have gone up in various places completely out of order.

It looks like...the Takamura fight is...good? Like there's actual boxing?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
It has been surprisingly good. I can't name a match with Takamura that was bad though. He always tends to get the best ones.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Shindragon posted:

It has been surprisingly good. I can't name a match with Takamura that was bad though. He always tends to get the best ones.

That's because he's also a good character who also happens to be a *gasp* competent and intelligent boxer that knows how to adapt.

Like, the manga is called first step because Ippo has been stuck on it for 25 years. Goddamn, get a fight outside Japan you assholes, Takamura & Co in Las Vegas would be hilarious.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Amazing, he did something and it didn't work so instead he's changing it up to see what does instead of rushing in over and over again to try and brute force it. This'll probably be the best fight in ages.

I don't know if I want to read this piecemeal or just wait the 7 months it'll take to finish and read it all at once.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1099 and :siren: 1100 :siren: are out

That face when the coach asks him if he has a plan. Takamura is always the best

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Was the Sendo fight worth reading through or does someone just want to tell me where the Takamura fight starts?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Sendo is the antagonist In that fight, but i suppose it's ok quality.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Think 4 new chapters just dropped and holy poo poo I forgot how good this series can be when it's about actual boxing :aaa:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
I dunno, it's part-good and part regardless of what happens with the opponent, Takamura is an unstoppable genius superman who can master any style instantly.

"Since Takamura took a few hits, he won't be afraid of taking a few more! So it's all down to their wills!"

That doesn't make any sense!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Build up an immunity to punches by taking a limited amount of punches.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

If you just get punched a little bit every day eventually you'll be invincible to punches

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Was that "you don't see those kind of muscles in Japan" comment another "black people are naturally better athletes" thing, because if so lol

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Ytlaya posted:

Was that "you don't see those kind of muscles in Japan" comment another "black people are naturally better athletes" thing, because if so lol

no its the heavyweight thing, there are few solid heavyweight fighters in japan

Repster
Nov 29, 2014

tbp posted:

no its the heavyweight thing, there are few solid heavyweight fighters in japan

This. It's why Takumura needs to starve himself, and is working his way up the weight classes. The higher weight classes are basically empty in Hajime Japan, so they would never take him seriously at his more natural weight class... unless he has the belt from the previous weight class's belt going into it.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
Takamura doesn't spar at his own weight. Which is ridiculous when you think about it. But he is a special beast so its ok

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Nilbop posted:

I dunno, it's part-good and part regardless of what happens with the opponent, Takamura is an unstoppable genius superman who can master any style instantly.

"Since Takamura took a few hits, he won't be afraid of taking a few more! So it's all down to their wills!"

He just needed to punch out all the oxygen stuck in his muscles.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Nilbop posted:

I guess it's "he's taken a few of those and he's still standing so he shouldn't be so gun-shy rushing face first into them like an idiot like me, in order to crowd and overwhelm this guy!"

Takamura's thought process is a nice contrast to Ippo's though - "Holy poo poo, these punches loving hurt! What can I do to avoid being hit by them and/or put this guy on the defensive so he can't throw as many?"

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

I think the last fight of Ippo's i enjoyed was vs Karasawa.
Where he showed something like intelligence.

tazman
Jan 23, 2005
hammer time

Blinks77 posted:

I think the last fight of Ippo's i enjoyed was vs Karasawa.
Where he showed something like intelligence.

Oh my god that was years ago. Surely SOMEONE has told him in all this time that this is the kind of fight we want Ippo to have more of?

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

tazman posted:

Oh my god that was years ago. Surely SOMEONE has told him in all this time that this is the kind of fight we want Ippo to have more of?

gently caress only knows. Since then it's been a procession of "charge in, get hit gently caress tons. Win due to spirit" or some such stupidity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Repster posted:

This. It's why Takumura needs to starve himself, and is working his way up the weight classes. The higher weight classes are basically empty in Hajime Japan, so they would never take him seriously at his more natural weight class... unless he has the belt from the previous weight class's belt going into it.

But the guy Takamura is fighting right now is currently in his same weight class, so why would he have an advantage? Like, yeah, when he was in a heavier weight class I'm sure he would have been stronger, but currently both him and Takamura have a low body fat % and should be around the same weight and thus have similar musculature (if anything, it seems Takamura would be a little buffer if he's also shorter than the American).