Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.
That's a long time to brace your anus for. I for one can't wait for the plethora of belts and zippers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

On the other hand if Amano got his hands on the art direction, FF7 would end up looking like the drat Bayeux Tapestry.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

It's been a long time since Dirge of Cerberus and Kingdom Hearts II. I thought Nomura had mostly gotten out of that phase.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

NikkolasKing posted:

It's been a long time since Dirge of Cerberus and Kingdom Hearts II. I thought Nomura had mostly gotten out of that phase.

Typically it's a phase unless it persists into adulthood, then it's a syndrome.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

They're sad brain idiots. FFXIII is awesome and I've played it multiple times and paid for it on PS3 and PC. The PC version looks and runs great as well.

Maybe if someone modded the game to remove Snowe, then it could be considered awesome.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

They're sad brain idiots. FFXIII is awesome and I've played it multiple times and paid for it on PS3 and PC. The PC version looks and runs great as well.

Please don't troll.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd

NikkolasKing posted:

not nearly long enough >.>

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Isn't Fort Condor just a proto tower defense game? Game developers love those, of course it'll stay in.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

In all seriousness, Nomura's character design is a loving travesty but it isn't like they're going to allow someone to just redesign the cast because Nomura can't stop fapping over anime and belts.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

yeah, it was. 7 had a lot of fun little diversions to mix it up with.

FAUXTON posted:

In all seriousness, Nomura's character design is a loving travesty but it isn't like they're going to allow someone to just redesign the cast because Nomura can't stop fapping over anime and belts.

I'm more concerned about the lovely wangst, dicking around without accomplishing anything, and whatever the hell garbage kitase throws in.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nehezir posted:

I'm more concerned about the lovely wangst, dicking around without accomplishing anything, and whatever the hell garbage kitase throws in.

That will unfortunately remain the mode seeing as though it's a JRPG being produced by SE in 2015.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

That will unfortunately remain the mode seeing as though it's a JRPG being produced by SE in 2015.
*sigh* this is why I say Yoshi-P's Team and the Ivalice Squad are the only good teams left in FF.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I hope they update FFVII for modern times.

Fort Condor is now a MOBA.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
If they started the development of remake as soon as 7 was released it would still be releasing in 2020.

I'm sure all minigames are out. except chocobo breeding maybe.

Honestly i'm not sure the new version will leave midgar.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

FAUXTON posted:

Sora's new design for KH3, meanwhile, is shockingly lacking in belts and zippers.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

nehezir posted:

*sigh* this is why I say Yoshi-P's Team and the Ivalice Squad are the only good teams left in FF.

Yeah but between Game of Thrones/LOTR/vikings and all the other medieval-themed content being churned out there isn't much of a need for that kind of weird Quasi-Tudor-Victorian mashup style that particular universe has going on.

Silvain
May 19, 2006

I'm kinda awesome.

FAUXTON posted:

On the other hand if Amano got his hands on the art direction, FF7 would end up looking like the drat Bayeux Tapestry.

I would prefer this over Nomura inspired by Rick Owens FF15.

NikkolasKing posted:

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The team of Kitase/Nomura/Nojima made FFVII and FFX, both good games. FFX's character designs were lacking in many respects but I recall nothing bad about FFVII's. Each design serves its purpose very well.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sora's new design in KH3 only has a single zipper and it is utter bullshit. I hope he is simply saving them all for the FF7 remake.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

The team of Kitase/Nomura/Nojima made FFVII and FFX, both good games. FFX's character designs were lacking in many respects but I recall nothing bad about FFVII's. Each design serves its purpose very well.

on the other hand, their design sense has changed tremendously since and FFX was only good in terms of gameplay. the plot was so-so with frequent trips to the garbage dump anything something tried to involve Tidus.

FAUXTON posted:

Yeah but between Game of Thrones/LOTR/vikings and all the other medieval-themed content being churned out there isn't much of a need for that kind of weird Quasi-Tudor-Victorian mashup style that particular universe has going on.

Japan never tires of Sengoku Era stuff, maybe they could try summadat?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

FAUXTON posted:

FFVII actually has really good character design. You look at each character, and you know almsot instantly what they're about. I mean, just look at Aeris: she's got the classic Staff Chick look, but with big ugly practical boots. That tells you a lot about her right there. Or look at Hojo: you know right away that this dude is creepy and bad news.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

MonsieurChoc posted:

FFVII actually has really good character design. You look at each character, and you know almsot instantly what they're about. I mean, just look at Aeris: she's got the classic Staff Chick look, but with big ugly practical boots. That tells you a lot about her right there. Or look at Hojo: you know right away that this dude is creepy and bad news.

Just look at Barret: as nuanced a depiction of a black man as 100+ Japanese dudes could muster.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

qbert posted:

Just look at Barret: as nuanced a depiction of a black man as 100+ Japanese dudes could muster.

Like I said, you know right away Barrett is Blackspoitation Mister T just by looking at his design.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Cloud looks like a Disney Princess in the remake dress.

I hope they include this in Kingdom hearts 3.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MonsieurChoc posted:

FFVII actually has really good character design. You look at each character, and you know almsot instantly what they're about. I mean, just look at Aeris: she's got the classic Staff Chick look, but with big ugly practical boots.

And huge 80s shoulder pads.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Is the only way to play FFX on consoles?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Phobophilia posted:

Depends on if you count the Vita as a console.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

shmee posted:

I really like the Yuffie's hometown bit and am surprised people don't.

There are people who don't like the Wutai section? I thought it was great, the whole Turks on holiday angle and the weird fight tower.

Fister Roboto posted:

I honestly can't imagine that staying in. They edited out the guard beating Celes in the FF6 Advance port.

I mean, the game does get dark. But that's dark.

I actually can't see that going. If you take it as read that one of the fundamental themes of the game is mental illness, it's completely on point. Dark, sure, but totally thematically appropriate as an interaction.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 18, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A Japanese Lightning Returns twitter says the PC version is going to be out in the Autumn.

Lightning is making this return count.

https://twitter.com/LRFF13/status/611470768182943744

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Yep. There's never been a way to play console games on a PC, sorry dude!

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Aurain posted:

A Japanese Lightning Returns twitter says the PC version is going to be out in the Autumn.

I'm going to buy the first two games on the Steam sale now. Just to have a complete set when this is released. Great game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Aurain posted:

Sweet. Missed this the first time round and actually looks like a solid game, glad it didn't get shitcanned like it seemed it had

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

CottonWolf posted:

There are people who don't like the Wutai section? I thought it was great, the whole Turks on holiday angle and the weird fight tower.

I actually can't see that going. If you take it as read that one of the fundamental themes of the game is mental illness, it's completely on point. Dark, sure, but totally thematically appropriate as an interaction.

On the other hand, there are probably better ways to convey mental illness than a dude freaking out and beating the poo poo out of a woman and a friend. It's one thing to have that with cartoony Popeye-arm models, but imagine that same scene with super-realistic high-definition models instead.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I had already been spoiled on Aeirith's death, but I had no idea about the scene where Cloud beats her up. It was a pretty drat shocking moment and stuck with me more than the death scene. The fact that it was Tifa who had to knock Cloud out to stop him made it even more memorable to me. What I'm saying is it should be left in even if it's uncomfortable.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Whether it should be left in is of course irrelevant to whether it will be left in. That's dependent on what rating they want the game to have. And like I said, considering they already removed a similar scene in FF6, I doubt it will stay.

I agree that it's a good scene even if it depicts something terrible.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It's been a long time since I've played FF7 and I totally forgot that Cloud beats up Aeris.

Aside from thinking he's someone else, going nuts and smacking people around and winding up a drooling vegetable in a wheelchair, the one thing that tells you that Cloud is really crazy is that he has the hots for Aeris instead of Tifa "Tits McGee" Lockheart.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
I just want to know what was the green thing that Bugenhagen stood/sat on. Was it a materia or a workout ball chair? Or a workout ball chair that was also a functioning materia?

On other news, Yoichi Wada is no longer with Square-Enix. On his facebook, he revealed that he continued to work on a contract basis with the company after his removal as CEO. Now, he has officially left the company. He will continue to serve as President of Shinra Industries (Ha!) and as a board member on Metaps.

He's understandably a controversial figure for his rise to power and direction for the company but he did a lot of good things for Square-Enix in meeting new challenges. Many of the changes we've seen under CEO Matsuda were actually initiated by Wada. For example, Wada was the one who pushed to have international talent work in their Japanese studios to improve the quality and global appeal of their games.

NikkolasKing posted:

Never forget.

NikkolasKing posted:

Looking at past few years, this collaboration soon becomes a real dream team comprised of the guy who brought you the FFXIII trilogy, the guy who forgot how to make AAA games for ten years, and the guy who wrote a short story about Tidus blowing himself up by catching a blitzball that was actually a bomb monster.

In all seriousness, development of big AAA games is more about the ability of management to guide a large team to a shared goal than it is about the individual accomplishments of its talent. During the previous generation, we found out that a lot of Square-Enix's old talent was not immune to technical hurdles, the changing tastes of consumers, the difficulties of managing a large team, or the immense pressure of making a guaranteed hit when your game cost tens of millions to make. Many of Square-Enix's better games were on handhelds where budget and technical restrictions allowed them to take risks and be creative with smaller teams.

The people who managed to ship generally well-received AAA titles were the ones that were honest about the challenges they faced and communicated regularly with their fans in improving their product, such Naoki Yoshida and Hajime Tabata. Hopefully, the FF7 remake development team is just as open with their fans.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Gammatron 64 posted:

It's been a long time since I've played FF7 and I totally forgot that Cloud beats up Aeris.

Aside from thinking he's someone else, going nuts and smacking people around and winding up a drooling vegetable in a wheelchair, the one thing that tells you that Cloud is really crazy is that he has the hots for Aeris instead of Tifa "Tits McGee" Lockheart.

It looks like you've forgotten more than just that, because Cloud is pretty aloof when it comes to Aeris. And Aeris only likes him because he reminds her of her ex-boyfriend and she has a cross-dressing fetish

Tifa likes him, but she has serious codependency issues and lies about pretty much everything that happened between them.

The only other chick who likes him is a kleptomaniac teenager.

Bitches be crazy.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I don't remember Yuffie hinting at liking Cloud at all.

I do remember Cloud telling Yuffie he doesn't care at all about her feelings or history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Fister Roboto posted:

It looks like you've forgotten more than just that, because Cloud is pretty aloof when it comes to Aeris. And Aeris only likes him because he reminds her of her ex-boyfriend and she has a cross-dressing fetish

Never really got that vibe. One of the first things Cloud does after they escape the Church is tease her about her lack of stamina and they both laugh about it.